Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2013 3:18 AM

Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Brenan calls himself "Director of the GIB" or "Chief of the GIB", but what is GIB exactly? BTW, countries named "Commonwealth of Borodias" and "Republic of Catanbe" do no exist IRL. And "Mr. President" of what? He mentions Europe, so it's possible that he's president of some country from Europe. I couldn't find to what country those flags belong:

The best I could think of is that "G" means "government" and "B" means "Borodias"
SerhiykoAug 31, 2017 3:01 PM
Sep 6, 2013 8:54 AM

Jun 2010
I was enjoying this Jigen-centered episode a lot...until it turned into political conspiracies and such.

Newser said:
Brenan calls himself "Director of the GIB" or "Chief of the GIB", but what is GIB exactly? BTW, countries named "Commonwealth of Borodias" and "Republic of Catanbe" do no exist IRL. And "Mr. President" of what?

Well, fictional countries are nothing new for a series with a minimum level of silliness such as this one.

I was thinking that this mystery country is a stand-in for America given that the flag is red and white stripes with a blue field in the upper left with a white celestial symbol inside and "GIB" would be a stand-in for the CIA, although the president doesn't look or act anything like Jimmy Carter, the US President at the time. The reason they didn't just use America is that this country does outrageous things in this episode.

America is a favorite punching-bag of anime, but it's commonly not very fair, as here. The most egregious example of white minority rule in post-WWII Africa was Rhodesia, and America, as well as virtually the entire rest of the world, refused to recognize its government as legitimate and punished it with economic sanctions for its racist policies.

The whole idea of a decolonization story is a little late as virtually all of Africa had already gained independence/majority rule by the time this episode aired (Rhodesia and South Africa being exceptions), but fiction usually lags behind reality a bit.

Aside from that, it seems kind of weird of Lupin and company to be used as a sort of commando team, and it's pretty weird how they outright kill the president of this country at the end.
Oct 17, 2013 5:40 AM
Apr 2008
Newser said:
Brenan calls himself "Director of the GIB" or "Chief of the GIB", but what is GIB exactly? BTW, countries named "Commonwealth of Borodias" and "Republic of Catanbe" do no exist IRL. And "Mr. President" of what? He mentions Europe, so it's possible that he's president of some country from Europe. I couldn't find to what country those flags belong

I understood it as this: them using fictional names wasn't because they wanted to politically/socially criticize certain nations without fear of defamation claims (allegory/SHOTS FIRED); rather, with these fictional names, it was a way to tell a story about conflicts between nations without fear of defamation claims.

Fronzel said:
Snip.

That's an interesting bit of history on minority rule in Africa. I didn't know about any of that, and so I thought fiction captured reality (okay, it did, however far behind it was).

I held a somewhat opposite belief in that I enjoyed the political intrigue, but didn't like the heavy-handedness of the story and story-telling. I did enjoy it overall though.

And yes, there was confusion as to why the most-wanted fugitives in the world got tasked with this mission, willy-nilly. Even more surprising and out-of-place was how the protagonists killing somehow was justified... and how Zenigata didn't react in a "Zenigata way". Enjoyable, but cop-out story, I gotta say.
Oct 5, 2016 4:44 AM

Jul 2008
From Apartheid to full blown racist genocide and a murder of a U.S. President to boot.

This wasn't heavy handed at all.
Mar 12, 2019 3:27 AM

Oct 2012
I don't know whether this is original story or manga adaptation
But the writer/author really like the "black people is oppressed" theme
Are they trying to send a message? xD

Awww this is 2nd time Jigen have broken heart
Well at least Angelica is good girl unlike the previous
"Signature removed"
May 2, 2019 3:25 PM

Nov 2016
Yo, what's up with Jiren's bad luck when it comes to woman?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 13, 2019 5:20 PM

Sep 2011
It felt bad to see all of those people and Angelica die, and believing in a lie. But at least Jigen, with the help of his friends, was able to avenge them.
Oct 14, 2021 5:59 AM
Apr 2015
This episode was a dud. Great performances from Kiyoshi Kobayashi in the original version and Richard Epcar in the dub, though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 65 Discussion

Serhiyko - Aug 24, 2013

8 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 23 Discussion

animefan8800 - Mar 25, 2016

5 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 11:45 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 5 Discussion

Arcanus - Aug 10, 2013

5 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 16 Discussion

Fronzel - Oct 3, 2012

8 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part II Episode 59 Discussion

Shocked - Oct 18, 2014

7 by SourNote2014 »»
Mar 22, 10:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.