Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that the excuse "I can't read the subs while watching" is legitimate ?

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Sep 8, 2013 11:50 AM

Aug 2011
bluedragon777 said:
Basically I prefer subs,because it is the fastest way to learn Japanese vocabulary,so one day I can watch raw!

It really isn't. Their sentence structure is completely different to just understand by reading what they're saying, it'd be pretty hard to learn Japanese that way unless you began teaching yourself at the same time.

If you do that, learning will be a lot easier. It was for me.

Sep 8, 2013 4:26 PM

Feb 2012
First:I am talking about vocabulary.Sentence structure is grammar.And yes,learning grammar by watching anime is 90% hard.But learning vocabulary by watching anime is child's play.

And I speak from experience,by the age of six I already knew 3 languages,German,Croatian and English.I learned English and German mostly by just consuming media in those 2 languages.

Also sentence structures are basically the same between two languages from the same language family.So basically since I already know 3 languages from 3 different language families adding a fourth will be no big deal.

I am not saying that grammar is unimportant,I am just saying that vocabulary is 5 times more important.I mean there is no point in learning grammar,unless you know at least enough vocabulary to talk like a 3 year old Japanese child

But I promise that when and if I find enough time and motivation to learn grammar,I will learn Japanese grammar.Unfortunately right now I don't have the time to do it.

However I believe the biggest challenge for me will be the fact that Japanese is a contextual language.
bluedragon777Sep 8, 2013 5:00 PM
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Sep 9, 2013 8:21 AM
May 2013
GreenBlockhead said:
'MURICA. English forever.
Do you know the fact that English dates back to BRITAIN ? and has nothing to actually do with america ?? LOL
If it's an action-packed anime like Redline or Fooly Cooly, then obviously subs will be too quick to read.
Not true i watched lots of action packed anime subbed and the subs were not that fast...

you have to be a really slow reader if you're missing out subs that stay for 2 seconds in front of your eyes.
bluedragon777 said:
And I speak from experience,by the age of six I already knew 3 languages,German,Croatian and English.I learned English and German mostly by just consuming media in those 2 languages.
Wow man that's great i wish i could be as fast of a learner as you though you're correct about the vocabulary i live in India which is a multi-lingual country i've learned 3 languages merely by just talking to people for years.
AGOLXSep 9, 2013 8:40 AM
Sep 9, 2013 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
mitch3315 said:
Only if they're very slow readers.

Pretty much
Sep 9, 2013 9:59 AM
Jan 2013
Vishnu_Karthik said:
GreenBlockhead said:
'MURICA. English forever.
Do you know the fact that English dates back to BRITAIN ? and has nothing to actually do with america ?? LOL

Yes but most if not all English dubs are done by american VA's.
Sep 9, 2013 11:02 AM
May 2013
GreenBlockhead said:
Yes but most if not all English dubs are done by american VA's.
That's not true either you can find many Swedish,Canadian,British voice actors too don't belittle them and go on being a mindless patriot it just makes you look like an idiot.
Forgetfulness said:

Actually, English is a Germanic language
While its true that original English was 100% Germanic it has gotten influenced a lot of Latin&french words.
AGOLXSep 9, 2013 11:07 AM
Sep 9, 2013 11:10 AM

Apr 2013
"I can't read the subs while watching"

I used to use that excuse when I decided to only watch dub. But soon enough i switched to SUBS because theres only a limited amount of dubs compared to subs. I switched ofc, so i would say it's just an excuse for people that are too lazy to read and watch at the same time.
Sep 9, 2013 2:01 PM

Feb 2012
Vishnu_Karthik said:
Forgetfulness said:

Actually, English is a Germanic language
While its true that original English was 100% Germanic it has gotten influenced a lot of Latin&french words.

Eglish has diversified enough from germanic languages that it formed its own family language-Anglo-saxon.
Other examples of anglo saxon languages are (I think) scottish,Irish...

Sep 16, 2013 5:55 PM

Sep 2013
Vishnu_Karthik said:
I think its a copout method for Dub fans to discredit original Japanese version of the show.

And its just infuriating for me to see that this is such a common excuse.

"I prefer dubs because i don't want to read all the time when i watch the show" that's like saying even if the dubbing is terrible i don't want to read.

And THEN there are the SUB fans who say, "It's original so it's better!", "The Japanese director picked them!", "It's JAPANESE anime for a reason!", or the one I HATE THE MOST, "All dubs suck. Duh."

I watch more dub than sub, but what annoys ME is the sub fans. I don't see many people hatinf on subs, but hating on dub is pretty commonplace. How about this? I respect you and your choices. You respect me and my choices.

And yeah, I understand some anime just can't be dubbed or the dubs aren't that good. I'm not an idiot.
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Sep 16, 2013 5:56 PM

Jun 2013
Hmm no not unless you are a slow reader
Sep 17, 2013 1:02 PM

Feb 2012
Those people should try to watch the monogatari series or tatami galaxy subbed just for practice.

Oct 20, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2008
I 99% of times it is pure lazyness. Unless you have a medical issue I'm calling bullshit.
Oct 20, 2016 11:19 AM
Jul 2016
Focusing your eyes on the text at the bottom of the screen requires you to view the rest of the scene in the periphery of your vision/move your eyes back and forth between the two. It's far from impossible, which should be readily apparent from the legions of sub-watchers. However, it requires a little more effort than letting your ears process dialogue, and it requires you to divide your visual attention.

Regardless of all of that, I watch both subs and dubs. I enjoy both subs and dubs. However, I tend to favor dubs a bit more for three reasons:

1. Most of the modern ones I've seen are actually very well done, contrary to what certain individuals claim.

2. Having the tone of voice directly linked to the corresponding words provides more information than having the two separated. (This reason is disappearing as I learn more Japanese.)

3. Most importantly, I watch dubs to spite people like this:
Elyssae said:
It's a 100% an excuse from trash people who watch dubs.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 20, 2016 11:28 AM

Nov 2012
They should make a "Dyslexia and alexia" club for that bunch of people. It's not a valid argument by its own. You either have a preference for Dubs (your loss) or Subs. They should quit rationalizing their taste with petty justifications.
Oct 20, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2015
Excuse me, preferring not to watch the Japanese version is not the same thing as discrediting it. And yes, I choose to not have to read while watching. What is illegitimate about that? I want the full experience; an experience that feels natural. If the dub is well-made, then it is my ideal method of watching anime.
Oct 20, 2016 12:22 PM

Mar 2016
Another argument would be that subs shift attention away from watching the visual spectacle and keeps the viewer's focus on the bottom instead of better allowing them to focus on the entire screen or areas of visual emphasis.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 20, 2016 1:54 PM

Sep 2016
Phendrus said:
Focusing your eyes on the text at the bottom of the screen requires you to view the rest of the scene in the periphery of your vision/move your eyes back and forth between the two. It's far from impossible, which should be readily apparent from the legions of sub-watchers. However, it requires a little more effort than letting your ears process dialogue, and it requires you to divide your visual attention.

Regardless of all of that, I watch both subs and dubs. I enjoy both subs and dubs. However, I tend to favor dubs a bit more for three reasons:

1. Most of the modern ones I've seen are actually very well done, contrary to what certain individuals claim.

2. Having the tone of voice directly linked to the corresponding words provides more information than having the two separated. (This reason is disappearing as I learn more Japanese.)

3. Most importantly, I watch dubs to spite people like this:
Elyssae said:
It's a 100% an excuse from trash people who watch dubs.

My thoughts exactly. Agitates the crap out of me that people think you MUST choose a side on something like this, like you can't watch either or depending on the series. Some have great dubs (Azumanga Daioh!) or ones that are very good, but not perfect (Kuragehime or Lucky Star). I can't say I really ran across a dub I would call terrible until I watched the English dub for Ichigo Mashimaro. That was SO bad that by episode 2 I switched to subs and I am glad I did.

Now do I PREFER dubs to subs? Just like with anything, it depends if it's well done or not. Whether you like it or not, people CAN watch a show and read subs, but there is no escaping the fact that your attention will be better focused on the visuals when you don't have to read subs. I don't get the snobbish elitism of some people feeling superior because they do subs instead of dubs, though people who REFUSE to watch anything with subs are losing out on some great series because of that.

Not everything has to be black and white, I wish people could just get that through their brains...
Oct 20, 2016 11:37 PM

Oct 2015
Maybe sometimes, if there is a lot of action going on, on screen then they might miss something while trying to pay attention to the subs.

I always watch the dub if it exist and is decent but if it's subbed it won't keep me from watching it.
Oct 21, 2016 12:47 AM

Mar 2014
No, unless they're dyslexic or blind "I can't read the subs while watching" is naught but a lazy excuse for willful laziness.

And no, managing to read the subs without having to pause all the time to be able to focus on the visuals isn't an impossibility, no matter what some people will try to tell you
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 21, 2016 3:46 AM

Nov 2011
Saying they can't generally isn't legitimate, but saying they prefer not to generally is.

I tend to prefer subs, personally, but to each their own.
Oct 21, 2016 4:47 AM
Aug 2014
Its just one of the reasons i prefer dubs, not because i cant read while watching but because i dont like to
Watched the first episode of Keijo! subbed yesterday and decided to definitely wait for the dubs because theres too much eyecandy in fast action that i would miss out when reading the subs
Watching the episode felt like:

Because i didnt want to miss one frame of sweet asses!
deleted_User2Oct 21, 2016 6:00 AM
Oct 21, 2016 5:36 AM

Jan 2016
AGOLX said:
I think its a copout method for Dub fans to discredit original Japanese version of the show.

I didn't read the whole thread, and I bet it was said before, but why is watching a dubbed version discrediting the original japanese version? And what do you mean with "discrediting" anyway? Am I insulting the producers for watching content that is licensed by them? Do I lower the percepted quality of the anime for others by choosing the dubbed version over the subbed?

AGOLX said:
And its just infuriating for me to see that this is such a common excuse.

An excuse? Why the fuck do I have to excuse myself for watching a dubbed version?

AGOLX said:
"I prefer dubs because i don't want to read all the time when i watch the show" that's like saying even if the dubbing is terrible i don't want to read.

Even though I recently started watching subs (I'm still preferring dubs if they're good, but there's so much content that isn't available as a german dub), I totally understand that point. I'm watching anime with a projector on a 100" screen, and yes, it definitely is disruptive to move your eyes up and down the whole time.

Well, to be fair, I watched some english dubs if no german dubs were available. And at least those I saw (AoT, Lucky Star, one or two episodes of K-On, ...) weren't that convincing to me. So I do understand why people prefer subs. But I'm not sure if english dubs are generally worse then german (whom I do watch regularly), or if that's a results from english not being my native language. I guess it's the latter reason.
Oct 21, 2016 9:57 AM

Jan 2015
Years of reading has made me a pro at reading fast. So I'm good.

Okay, not really a pro but I have no problem with reading subtitles while watching something.
Oct 21, 2016 10:45 AM

Jul 2013
As a person who watch animes subbed in the 99% of cases, nah, it's not as difficult at all, and I catch the story and the words perfectly.

I can udnerstand the people who prefer dubs, though.
Oct 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Jan 2015
Well I don't have any problem watching it and follow :3

But when I'm rewatching it and have to add it to my list then i'm in my analyze mode which is pretty tiring lol, since it's a bad habit of mine :3
Wish it would go away and back to China :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Oct 21, 2016 10:51 AM

Feb 2015
It's completely legitimate. Some people are slower readers, not everyone was born with books shoved down their throat and some people just didn't have an interest to get into reading. If you have to watch the show and pause at every dialogue, it really cuts the experience of watching the show so I can see why people would rather just sit back and watch with a dub. I find it pretty silly that people can't accept that. Sometimes, you wanna just focus on the beautiful visuals, let em'.
Oct 21, 2016 11:14 AM

Mar 2016
Do you really think there are not people who just read slowly out there? Of course it's legitimate

P.S. Reading slowly =/= stupid.
Oct 21, 2016 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
I'm a fast reader, but sometimes I prefer dubs because I'm browsing the web on my phone or multitasking. Sometimes dubs are better as well.
Oct 21, 2016 11:17 AM

Aug 2014
There's still reading in dubbed shows sometimes though, so I can't say it's legit.
Oct 21, 2016 11:32 AM

Jan 2013
Sucks to be them, their's a lot of great shows that will never get dubbed.
Oct 21, 2016 11:44 AM

Mar 2014
Why does that frustrate you? It's not a copout to discredit the original Japanese, you're really reaching there, some people just don't want to read while watching a show. I get it, I don't want to read sometimes, especially when I'm tired. I just want to veg and not worry about missing things. Of course it's legitimate.
Oct 21, 2016 12:35 PM
Jan 2016
When i saw an dubbed anime first time, that was ultimate cringe shit. Im not gonna say the anime cause of spoiler but gonna write the conversation right here.

Japanase version translated by me: "Mom, we make perverted things."

Dubbed ver: "Mom, we had sex and sex make babies." Still laughing*

My english is not that good so im not watching with dubs. But i hope that not all dubs is like this.
Jun 23, 2017 10:07 PM
May 2013
merryfistmas said:
Why does that frustrate you? It's not a copout to discredit the original Japanese, you're really reaching there.

youheiSuno said:
I didn't read the whole thread, and I bet it was said before, but why is watching a dubbed version discrediting the original japanese version? And what do you mean with "discrediting" anyway? Am I insulting the producers for watching content that is licensed by them? Do I lower the percepted quality of the anime for others by choosing the dubbed version over the subbed?
Damn, someone revived my 2013 thread! When I actually made this thread it was directed towards diehard fans of horrible&inaccurate ie 90's dubs who simply don't care about the original version. like I how the fuck am i supposed to reason with these people?

An excuse? Why the fuck do I have to excuse myself for watching a dubbed version?

No, i mean giving it as an excuse for not watching subs.

(I'm still preferring dubs if they're good, but there's so much content that isn't available as a german dub),

I think we're on the same page here, the thread is only for those who watch a completely butchered dub and then refuse to give any notice to the original version because nostalgia&ignorance.

Watching sub is a lot like reading the blackboard&listening to the teacher at the same time, it's not hard but it does require a little more effort but effort i say is well worth spent if the dub in question is like 4kids or ocean dub bad.
Jun 23, 2017 10:43 PM

Aug 2016
No, because you won't even notice that you're reading subtitles.
Jun 23, 2017 10:59 PM

Oct 2014
It takes like 2 seconds to read the subs and they are usually there for much longer, allowing you time to view the actual show. Never had a problem with them, but maybe incredibly slow readers do (and i wouldn't consider myself a fast reader)
Jun 23, 2017 11:11 PM

Dec 2015
It's only acceptable if English isn't their first language. Even then you can probably just find subs for your language.
Jun 23, 2017 11:13 PM

Dec 2016
Some people were never used to, never in their lives have to read any of them, so why wouldn't it be a legitimate reason to stay away from subbed material.

I have never had any trouble reading them since I had been watching subbed Hollywood movies since literally I learned to read in playschool, but I can understand those who really have troubles in terms of getting used to them since they never had to read them in their lives.

In regards to anime I'm a dub-watcher by the way, in case the dub exists. Personally speaking, hearing characters speaking my native language (latin american spanish) or english, empirically increases the chances I can get genuinely and/or emotionally connected to them and getting interested to the story they are part of. Just the way it is. Most of the time with japanese voices I get a lot of trouble with these purposes.
SoldierDreamJun 23, 2017 11:25 PM
Jun 24, 2017 8:34 AM

Jun 2017
I'm someone who prefers subs, but if someone else prefers dubs, that's cool too.
They could:

1) Be slow readers.

2) Have attention spans that refuse to accommodate long lines of text.

3) Would like to focus solely on the animation, not the words.

Idk man, but that's just my two cents.

Sour Patch Kids. Sweet, sour,
Jun 24, 2017 2:34 PM

Apr 2015
I can't say. I grew up watching subs and dubs interchangeably of Japanese and European films. Hence, it has never been an issue for me.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 24, 2017 2:41 PM

Jul 2013
Not for me, that's for sure, since I have any problem reading the subs and watching the content of the anime at the same time.
For other people? Maybe.
Jun 24, 2017 2:51 PM

Mar 2017
This is a valid f*cking reason.

AGOLX said:

"I prefer dubs because i don't want to read all the time when i watch the show"

How is this not a valid f*cking reason?

Jesus, this thread. Some people need their faces to be repeatedly acquainted with the business end of flanged mace.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 24, 2017 3:00 PM

Feb 2015
I'm a fast reader so I have no problem with reading subs and seeing what's happening on screen. So, those who can't are most likely slow readers.
Also, ADHD is a thing.
Jun 24, 2017 3:10 PM

Sep 2015
I usually watch dubs if they're available when I'm not going to be entirely focused on the show. Like, I'm watching DxD dubbed at the moment. No big deal. Some people don't like reading, it's fine.
Jun 24, 2017 3:13 PM

Apr 2016
kurapika-chu said:
I'm someone who prefers subs, but if someone else prefers dubs, that's cool too.
They could:

1) Be slow readers.

The pros are actually obvious. It's just one thing that bothers people, the voice actors. Most people are exaggerating when it comes to non Japanese voice actors. They are not bad by any means, dubs are usually really good, but I guess most people enjoy the original voice more.

I respect both parties, be it someone who enjoys dub or sub, it really doesn't matter to me, as long as you have fun watching the show everything is good. I mean, that's all that matters...
Jun 24, 2017 3:17 PM

Jun 2017
Nattsun said:
kurapika-chu said:
They could:

1) Be slow readers.

The pros are actually obvious. It's just one thing that bothers people, the voice actors. Most people are exaggerating when it comes to non Japanese voice actors. They are not bad by any means, dubs are usually really good, but I guess most people enjoy the original voice more.

I respect both parties, be it someone who enjoys dub or sub, it really doesn't matter to me, as long as you have fun watching the show everything is good. I mean, that's all that matters...

I agree 100%. Yeah, I guess what I wrote was pretty obvious /:)
Sour Patch Kids. Sweet, sour,
Jun 24, 2017 3:21 PM

Sep 2014
It's legitimate if you're 6 or disabled. I don't see how a teenager or adult can't keep up with subtitles.
Jun 24, 2017 3:27 PM

Apr 2017
I'm learning English watching anime subbed and dubbed. How I never think of this early?
For me, whatever.
English learner. Sorry for my mistakes and make yourself at ease to correct me.
Jun 24, 2017 3:29 PM

Jun 2007
OiGon said:
When i saw an dubbed anime first time, that was ultimate cringe shit. Im not gonna say the anime cause of spoiler but gonna write the conversation right here.

Japanase version translated by me: "Mom, we make perverted things."

Dubbed ver: "Mom, we had sex and sex make babies." Still laughing*

My english is not that good so im not watching with dubs. But i hope that not all dubs is like this.

Your version of that line makes me cringe far more than the dubbed version, because no native English speaker would ever say or write it that way. Why would it be a bad thing for dubs to translate into lines that English speakers might actually say in real conversation? That's what dubs try to do, unless they get into low-budget "subtitle script readthrough" mode, which doesn't produce good results or please the unpleaseable sub purists.
Jun 24, 2017 3:32 PM

Jun 2011
Totally legit.

Also I am disabled. Also I go to bed to anime. Fuck subs when I am going to bed. Also fuck subs if I am watching a comedy anime and it does have a perfectly good dub that is done well enough.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

55 by bakatora2016 »»
35 seconds ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

21 by -Ryu »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 52 minutes ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
27 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by animejas »»
32 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

46 by Maou_heika »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.