Forum Settings
Forums
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Rating
Aug 24, 2013 5:21 PM

Aug 2013
No thread yet, so I decided to make one (at least for volume 1)

What are your thoughts on the volume?

I personally loved it. Good suspense, and it was presented very well, I also loved Aya's character. The premise seems to be quite unique, at least with the box that was used for this volume. The ending was perfect, with the same lines "Aya's introduction" being repeated, to signal that the battle is just beginning.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 26, 2013 1:32 PM
Oct 2011
At first I was confused reading it. I thought there might be some sort of mix up with Baka-Tsuki, the parts were short and similar for a while. I was unsure of what was happening. And then... BAM! It all made sense. That was only the first of many many times where my mind was blown by this series.

As I read on I found myself completely immersed in the story. The characters were amazing, and the lore of the boxes was original and fascinating. And the strongest part of the first volume is that, it being a mystery story, kept you unaware of what was going to happen. The culprit was a surprise as well as the ending.

It almost seemed too perfect. I found myself thinking "There's no way that this story could maintain this level of quality for 6 more volumes." And I was right, it by far exceeded the already absurdly high quality of the first volume. One of my absolute favorites.
Sep 1, 2013 2:15 AM

Sep 2011
What I love most in this series is how it manages to plant an idea of who the box owner is then completely convinces you that you're right and then pulls the rug from underneath you (and the characters).

I had no idea that Mogi was the owner, I was personally thinking of it being Kokone after it turned out that Hoshino wasn't the box owner.
Sep 1, 2013 6:53 AM

Sep 2008
Great read. The story was very well thought out.
Sep 1, 2013 6:54 AM

Aug 2012
My 2nd favorite out of the 3 arcs.

It has the best storytelling method IMO.
Sep 2, 2013 12:56 PM

Oct 2012
Oh wow, that was great.
Sep 3, 2013 6:18 AM

Nov 2010
Best Volume by far, and best thing I've ever read.

That narrative was really really amazing
Oct 1, 2013 5:06 PM

Mar 2013
The author's writing style is beautiful and my favorite thing about this light novel so far. He words everything in a way that really makes the story so easily visible in your head and brings out the psychological aspects especially in Kazuki's inner monologues as well as the rest of the story.
Oct 11, 2013 1:02 PM
Jul 2011
i'm now in the 27,556th time and i'm now very confused ! can someone tell me what's going on ??????
Oct 26, 2013 8:54 AM
Aug 2011
This novel is impressive. Innovative, immersive story telling, well thought out universe, unexepcted plot twists.. and FEAR. Those dementia driven loops reminded me of Haruhi endless 8, but so much more scary. Can't help to wonder what the malicious genie and his motives truly are ("because it's fascinating" sounds suspicously too easy to me), some plot holes here and there but overall a great read.

Favourited and getting fired up for the next volume.

Nov 3, 2013 11:07 PM

Apr 2010
This was brilliant. I managed to get the culprit currect early but it was more of a wild guess than anything. The author threw me off a few times but then something eventually confirmed it for me. I love his style of writing, one of the most well put together mystery stories I've read in a long time.
RadiGen said:
Best Volume by far, and best thing I've ever read.

That narrative was really really amazing

I'm disappointed to read this, it means I can't look forward to anything better in the series. I'd like to hope my tastes are different from yours and I like one of the future ones more! But that said, this volume will be hard to top.
antonnnNov 3, 2013 11:16 PM
Nov 7, 2013 4:54 PM

Aug 2010
Truly amazing.
This author is a genius and his way of writing is brilliant.
Ragna92Nov 12, 2013 11:25 AM
Nov 8, 2013 8:15 AM

Sep 2010
Ragna92 said:
Truly amazing. I could never have guessed that the culprit was
. This author is a genius and his way of writing is brilliant.
Holy bleeden' Hell, use SPOILERs tag, fer Cris' sake!

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Nov 8, 2013 11:33 PM

Apr 2010
At the same time, you probably shouldn't come here until you've read it all since there's always people who don't use spoiler tags on MAL, so just to be safe and finish each volume first!
Nov 12, 2013 11:25 AM

Aug 2010
kitsune0 said:
Ragna92 said:
Truly amazing. I could never have guessed that the culprit was
. This author is a genius and his way of writing is brilliant.
Holy bleeden' Hell, use SPOILERs tag, fer Cris' sake!

My bad. I thought of this is an end of volume 1 discussion. I'll be sure to use spoiler tags for future volumes.
Nov 12, 2013 7:29 PM

Sep 2010
No probs. It's just that some spoilers so - well, spoilerish, that must be hidden' even if there is years passed. In our case - it's not somethin' trivial like "SPIKE DIES", it's more of basic like "SAYA ACTUALLY IS
!".

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Dec 8, 2013 4:26 PM

Dec 2007
I tried to add this to the DB before but it didn't get approved, and now it's suddenly here?
Whateverz
Dec 9, 2013 3:56 AM

Sep 2010
That's a long story but this is not the place to discuss it, you better ask RadiGen about it.
On-topic: you thoughts about 1st Vol.? I thought it's hard to get into but in the end it's more than worth the effort. Pretty awesome way to hook a reader into.

Dec 12, 2013 12:50 PM

Dec 2007
I reread the first volume. Not as great as I remembered but still pretty damn good.
Dec 13, 2013 2:34 AM
Aug 2011
Earwen said:
I reread the first volume. Not as great as I remembered but still pretty damn good.

When you already know the culprit and all plot twists it can't be as thrilling as the first time, but I still think it's one of the best LN ever

Jan 3, 2014 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
It was honestly amazing. Every time I thought I had found a flaw or a plot hole or anything it immediately was explained in a understandable way, reading this was an immense pleasure. Now, onto the second one!
Jan 28, 2014 9:53 AM

Apr 2009
I feel like I should've taken notes on each time so I could go through the details without skipping around to whatever chapter it was. But yeah, I'm glad I stumbled onto this. I was just looking for more light novels to read, found that this one had a decent amount of volumes already translated and checked MAL. ...it's number one in the listing for novels here. And it deserved that. It was definitely an enjoyable mystery and I had fun going along with the twists pretty much every time. I even teared up near the end of the volume.

Feb 20, 2014 11:50 PM

Feb 2014
Just started reading this series. The author hid the culprit very well. I was confused at times but in the end all the pieces of the puzzle fits well!
Feb 21, 2014 1:21 AM

Nov 2013
That sure was a thrilling experience, read the whole volume in one sitting. I was a little confused until about halfway through and I started to understand the dialogue better and how it switches from character to character.

Glad I picked this one up!
Feb 21, 2014 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
What I love about this novel is the fact that just when it seems I have an idea who the culprit it, BAM! It does a total 180 and the focus entirely shifts to a different character.
It's a sad thing that this will never be animated. This would've blown Steins gate anyday.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 1, 2014 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
interesting concept, but I don't care for the rest. Convenient that miria doesn't like to kill despite her atitude
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2014 12:18 PM

Nov 2011
Very insightful narratives so far and I really like how some of the words/phrases are prioritized to bring out a sense of meaning for its context. The story itself is also pretty damn attractive, not to mention its colorful cast of characters.
Apr 15, 2014 7:06 PM

Nov 2012
Definitely made the right choice in making this the first LN I've read.This really put the pressure on me to keep reading too,which alot of manga fail to do.Kept me interested from start to finish as well.

Honestly don't know how to describe my thoughts on this exactly?It was just absolutely captivating imo.So much so that I had no second thoughts to add this to my favorites.

Off to read the remaining 5 novels,hopefully they will be as good if not better than this volume.

Edit: Also Maria/Aya reappearing in the real world as the freshman representative was a perfect ending.The feels really hit me.
VanishingKiraApr 15, 2014 7:13 PM
Apr 22, 2014 4:36 AM

Aug 2013
Wow.

Normally i hate horror/thriller-tagged series, but for many reasons this one managed to make me deeply immersed and enjoyed it thoroughly. So scary.
May 27, 2014 10:34 AM

Nov 2013
That was amazing. Just after a few pages I got hooked on almost everything. The characters, especially Maria, the storytelling, how it switched and the well-written story. I had high expectations, but it exeeded them with ease.
"Be wary - triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall..."
Three circles make a triangle ▲, four a square ■ and five a star ★
Click the circles
...to the beat

http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Hotchy.gif

[center]

Jun 2, 2014 12:07 PM
Apr 2012
This was my first LN that I read and it was awesome!!
I love the moments when everything makes sense lol( u know what I mean hihi)
The way the story is told is so interesting that i was hooked after reading 10 min.
I will definitely read the other vol too.
Aug 27, 2014 8:07 AM
Sep 2012
skyzblue said:
It's a sad thing that this will never be animated. This would've blown Steins gate anyday.

Funny you mention that because I also compared the two. There is no doubt that if the series was animated correctly that it would be way better than S;G. Almost reminded me of death note the way they showed their inner thoughts.
Aug 30, 2014 1:48 PM

May 2014
Great Volume. I give it 2nd place in my favorite novels of all time (1st going to fate/zero)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2014 9:09 PM

Feb 2013
I loved this LN so much more than I thought i would. Its plot twists were great and I loved the way things I thought were true got proven so wrong. Defiantly something I would recommend to anyone
Nov 7, 2014 9:42 AM
Apr 2012
It's a great series so far. And I'm just about to finish Volume 1.

I think the story is similar to Higurashi or Umineko with a smaller cast and scale of environment, with a main girl who is a mix of Haruhi Suzumiya and Senjougahara Hitagi, and a main character who reminds me of another main character from another series that I've forgotten about.

All in all, in complexity terms, the story plots this stellar come from Mikage, Eiji's work (this series), Ryukishi07's works, Nasu, Kinoko's works, Narita, Ryohgo's works, and Tanigawa, Nagaru's works.

So all in all, can someone tell me how many chapters are in this book. Cause if it's every iteration change, then there are some short chapters. Counting everything including the prologue was about 33 chapters. Anyone get anything different?
Nov 7, 2014 1:56 PM

Nov 2013
Shining_Falcon said:
It's a great series so far. And I'm just about to finish Volume 1.

I think the story is similar to Higurashi or Umineko with a smaller cast and scale of environment, with a main girl who is a mix of Haruhi Suzumiya and Senjougahara Hitagi, and a main character who reminds me of another main character from another series that I've forgotten about.

All in all, in complexity terms, the story plots this stellar come from Mikage, Eiji's work (this series), Ryukishi07's works, Nasu, Kinoko's works, Narita, Ryohgo's works, and Tanigawa, Nagaru's works.

So all in all, can someone tell me how many chapters are in this book. Cause if it's every iteration change, then there are some short chapters. Counting everything including the prologue was about 33 chapters. Anyone get anything different?
I don't think the iterations count as separate chapters..
Nov 29, 2014 12:19 AM

Nov 2012
That was a good read. I still don't understand the whole part about Kokone though.. surely she was the culprit, but then suddenly it's as if Hoshino's memory was just corrupted and it was Mogi who confessed to him and gave him the teriyaki flavored thing and he just mixed them up or something? And Hoshino and Maria snooped around in Kokone's bag too and found that corn flavored food in there; it wasn't Mogi's..

Also I wish Daiya had more of a main role, he seemed like an awesome character but ended up being mostly on the sidelines.
Nov 29, 2014 10:03 AM

Nov 2013
Pedo_Tendencies said:
That was a good read. I still don't understand the whole part about Kokone though.. surely she was the culprit, but then suddenly it's as if Hoshino's memory was just corrupted and it was Mogi who confessed to him and gave him the teriyaki flavored thing and he just mixed them up or something? And Hoshino and Maria snooped around in Kokone's bag too and found that corn flavored food in there; it wasn't Mogi's..

Also I wish Daiya had more of a main role, he seemed like an awesome character but ended up being mostly on the sidelines.
Both Mogi and Kokone had the candy thing.
Nov 30, 2014 12:12 AM

Nov 2012
BotatoPriest said:

Hmm, that makes sense. But still, wasn't it Kokone who was describing how she always pretended to be happy but really hated everyone and was just lying to them?
Nov 30, 2014 3:14 AM

Feb 2008
Pedo_Tendencies said:
BotatoPriest said:

Hmm, that makes sense. But still, wasn't it Kokone who was describing how she always pretended to be happy but really hated everyone and was just lying to them?

Forget about Kokone -- she's just a side-character in this volume and was never even really suspected, although you were led to believe otherwise.

When Kokone called Kazuki, she *did not* confess to him; she just asked him if he was in love with Mogi. (Note the jump in time when the confession thing happens)
Likewise, they rummage through Mogi's belongings, not Kokone's, and find a Corn Potage Umaibo in there. The flashback also belongs to Mogi, showing her past when she was still using makeup and was still sociable (well, she only stopped being like that after a myriad of iterations inside the rejecting classroom).
EusthEnoptEronNov 30, 2014 3:20 AM
Nov 30, 2014 10:22 AM

Nov 2012
EusthEnoptEron said:
Pedo_Tendencies said:

Forget about Kokone -- she's just a side-character in this volume and was never even really suspected, although you were led to believe otherwise.

When Kokone called Kazuki, she *did not* confess to him; she just asked him if he was in love with Mogi. (Note the jump in time when the confession thing happens)
Likewise, they rummage through Mogi's belongings, not Kokone's, and find a Corn Potage Umaibo in there. The flashback also belongs to Mogi, showing her past when she was still using makeup and was still sociable (well, she only stopped being like that after a myriad of iterations inside the rejecting classroom).

Thanks for the explanation, I think I get it now. I remember Hoshino saying something like he remembered Mogi smiling before but now she never does and is always emotionless, so I guess that was a memory from before the rejection loop started.
Jan 1, 2015 1:22 AM

Jun 2013
Well, shit..Never expected it to be this engrossing.. With each passing page, this LN enchanted me. Those monologues that were in Italics.. they were absolutely amazing.

It was as if we are convinced that the culprit is whom we think it is but then all of a sudden, the wildest of twists comes and makes it difficult to comprehend for what is happening right after that twist but then again, once we recollect every bits and pieces, the motives become clear and then the happenings become more vivid.

Could not be more glad that Mogi has survived. :))
Jan 1, 2015 2:08 PM

Jan 2013
This is the first time reading a Japanese Novel and I have to say it exceeded way above my expectations. I did have some trouble reading it as I had no idea what what was going on and had to re-read some parts and even then it was was confusing but Am pretty sure that's what the reader intended and it did make more sense later on.

If its okay I want to ask a few questions on volume one (Because it has been a couple of months since I finished it and I want a few things cleared up before reading Volume 2)

Maria is a box right (The flawed bliss)
How does that exactly work?
and why does she remember? (because she's a transfer student?)

How did Maria make a deal with O for the box (rejecting classroom)?
Jan 1, 2015 5:22 PM

Sep 2010
How about

Jan 2, 2015 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
Sorry I have no idea how to use the the spoiler button and I thought everyone here should have read the first volume
Jan 2, 2015 2:20 PM

Nov 2013
bakid123 said:
Sorry I have no idea how to use the the spoiler button and I thought everyone here should have read the first volume
He means the answers to your questions are spoilers. In other words they will be revealed later so just keep reading.
Feb 6, 2015 4:07 PM

Mar 2012
As I like a lot of this, I can`t help but feel uneasy in some scenes; mainly the home economics classroom scene (and the aplause one).
Is not that they are necessarily bad, as I like the idea of the scenes, but the dialogues seems kind off. I don`t like, mainly if I compare with some other scenes with rather good dialogue, they look kind of silly.
Apr 12, 2015 11:20 PM

Jul 2012
One of the best LN I read so far, great suspance and great development.
I just love Maria as character, and that ending, gosh it was heartwarming
Apr 15, 2015 2:14 AM
Oct 2012
Very good first volume, I liked everything about it but the writing style especially was amazing. Will be hard trying to hold out on reading the other volumes until the final one is released.
Apr 16, 2015 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
Finished Volume 1, was quite the entertaining read, but some of the prose/dialogue felt awkward and unnatural, especially coming from high school students... this might just be due to the English translation, but it was distracting sometimes. Know that I'm not saying that high schoolers aren't capable of using better vocabulary, but some lines just feel off nonetheless, in my opinion.

Like seriously (I'm mainly taking quotes from near the end of Volume 1, there are some more throughout the whole arc),

"Don't address Kazu-kun with such familiarity!" - Mogi, pg 185. ("with such familiarity" sounds awkward, I would've written something like "Don't talk as if you know Kazu-kun so well!" EDIT: Going through the text again, I wouldn't have written that sorry, cuz my revision doesn't refer to Maria's familiar addressing of Kazuki as "Kazuki", by first name; basically the two sentences mean different things in context. The original still sounds pretty awkward though)

"Do you know why I refrained, even though you were clearly a nuisance? - Mogi, pg 193. ("refrained" felt unnatural, just use "didn't" instead)

"I can't forgive the Rejecting Classroom that's so removed from everyday life!" - Kazuki, pg 201. ("that's so removed from everyday life" sounds dumb, not to mention anti-climactic. But if there has to be "everyday life" in there, then I would've written it like "I can't forgive the Rejecting Classroom for screwing up [my] everyday life!").

"I absolutely refuse to abandon you to solitude!" - Kazuki, pg 203. (aw hell, this was just the dumbest... seriously, try saying this out loud -___- didn't help that this line was repeated a few times. Should've just been something like "I will not [or won't] leave you alone like this!")

"If this is the Rejecting Classroom where everything is rendered void, then I can’t accept that. I have to engage in my genuine everyday life in order to protect the meaning of life. Therefore, I deny the box that denies true everyday life.” - Kazuki, pg 234. (not this again...this is less about the prose I guess, and more about just how awkward this sounds, even if it's a message I agree with)

"Kazu-kun, do you think there are unchanging
feelings?" - Mogi, pg 262. (eh, this one's okay I guess, but I feel that "do you think there are feelings that never change?" flows more smoothly, and just has a bit more impact. By the way though, the rest of this scene was great, no real complaints there)

Those are just a few of the awkward lines I encountered throughout the arc. If they don't sound awkward to you, then that's good for you then, but it was just a little distracting for me.

Besides that though, I did enjoy Volume 1 a lot, and am looking forward to reading the rest.
LightBladeNovaApr 16, 2015 6:40 PM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TheHollowShrine - Jul 7, 2015

253 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 26, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Volume 5 Discussion

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

37 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

» Anime Adaptation possibility?

DarkHumor04 - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.