Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2013 6:02 AM

Oct 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I missed the first 30 min of the ep when it was airing but the animation is awesome, but that is expected.
Ah! Usopp is telling the story to Brook with Chopper ride along on the Mini Merry

its so cool to see the debuts of all their new technique in HDD
its amazing how they got about 50 eps from Enies Lobby Arc & a few eps from Water 7 Arc to fit into the given time frame, but its since they put the main points of the story line.

it looks like it happened before the events of One Piece Film Z

notable changes
I think Franky's underwear color changed to blue
The boat spirit has a coat this time
Looks like all their skin color & clothes are lighter or brighter
Robin's eye's are different then the usually, but they look better that way (they should change it to that in the anime)
247EyesAug 24, 2013 7:16 AM
Aug 24, 2013 6:31 AM
Apr 2013
AnimationQueen said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
I missed the first 30 min of the ep when it was airing but the animation is awesome, but that is expected.
Ah! Usopp is telling the story to Brook with Chopper ride along on the Mini Merry

its amazing how they got about 50 eps from Enies Lobby Arc & a few eps from Water 7 Arc to fit into the given time frame, but its since they put the main points of the story line.

notable changes
I think Franky's underwear color changed to blue
I believe Luffy's pants are also a different color (from black to navy)
The boat spirit has a coat this time
Looks like all their skin color & clothes are lighter or brighter
Robin's eye's are different then the usually, but they look better that way (they should change it to that in the anime)

Sounds cool, did you watch it on TV?

Looking forward to when its out RAW or subbed.
Aug 24, 2013 6:59 AM

Oct 2009
kaiirii said:
AnimationQueen said:

Sounds cool, did you watch it on TV?

Looking forward to when its out RAW or subbed.

watching it on the TV
Aug 24, 2013 7:02 AM
Apr 2013
Actually just found it myself, caught the last 20 minutes.

Jesus that Merry funeral was amazing...can't wait to see this full thing
Aug 24, 2013 7:05 AM

Oct 2009
kaiirii said:
Actually just found it myself, caught the last 20 minutes.

Jesus that Merry funeral was amazing...can't wait to see this full thing

i'm not sure but it looks like it happened right after One Piece Film Z

LOL...Usopp tearing up telling the story,
AHHHHH! another spirit spotted, i wonder if this has to anything to do with the current events in the manga, since Sunny Go got turned to some kind of artwork by a Jorra (i think was her name)
Aug 24, 2013 7:12 AM
Apr 2013

i'm not sure but it looks like it happened right after One Piece Film Z

LOL...Usopp tearing up telling the story,
AHHHHH! another spirit spotted, i wonder if this has to anything to do with the current events in the manga, since Sunny Go got turned to some kind of artwork by a Jorra (i think was her name)

It takes place *before* film Z, literally moments before the party at the start of Film Z, which is nice.

That wasn't another spirit, it was Merry. I remember Oda saying that the ships spirits will feature more in the future of One Piece so perhaps that was just a subtle nod that Merry's spirit is still watching over the crew.
Regardless that was a really sweet special, looking forward to catching the full version when I get a chance!
Aug 24, 2013 12:42 PM
Dec 2011
Personally I think this is the most emotional One Piece moment. Heck it's the most emotional arc for that matter. Though Usopp annoyed the hell out of me throughout it. But saying goodbye to the Merry was far more heart wrenching than even the end of the Marineford arc with Ace in my opinion.

The Sunny is an awesome ship with all the bells and whistles, but it doesn't have the personality and/or personal relationship that the Merry had. I mean the Sunny seems like a regular old ship, but the Merry had life it seemed like it was a crewmate. That's why the Merry got it's own episode it's one great ship. RIP Merry!
Aug 25, 2013 4:07 AM

Sep 2012
Omg. That was too awesome. Too fucking awesome.
Aug 25, 2013 6:23 AM

Dec 2010
Damn, this was amazing from start to finish.
The sped up pacing for every single fight increased the overall hotblooded atmosphere.
Especially in that small bout Franky and Ussop had, Lucci vs Franky and Luffy, Luffy vs Ussop, Chopper's Monster Point, everything was so well done.
Aug 25, 2013 9:41 AM

Apr 2011
I haven't seen it yet, but by all your comments I'm going to assume this is the reason the anime was so crappy. All the top guys worked on the special leaving crap for the anime lmao.
Anyone know how long it'll take for raw/subs to come out? I saw some animated gifs/pics up from the special and it looks NICE. :D

(pet peeve= luffy's hair was outlined in thick gray. smh he does NOT have gray in his hair. srsly)

EDIT: Just watched it. I couldn't understand exactly what they were saying, but do to my rewatching these episodes so many times, I understood the gist of each line. It was great :'(
DarkAngelzAug 25, 2013 11:51 AM
Aug 27, 2013 2:01 AM

Apr 2013
No subs yet? I can't find anything
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

Aug 28, 2013 10:17 PM

Dec 2012
Wasn't a huge fan. The art was too shiny for me and I wasn't really sure how some of it related to Merry. Nami's proportions were out-of-wack, although Robin's eyes looked nice. Luffy's hair had a grey outline. 7/10.
Aug 29, 2013 4:19 AM

Jun 2012
i've watched it.
i like the animation, especially when Lucci using rokuougan.
but i didn't like the animation when Luffy beats Lucci with jet gatling.
honestly, it looks fail for me.
original tv version waaay better and badass

when Merry's funeral, i will not say any damn thing.
because i can't :(
Aug 29, 2013 3:37 PM

Apr 2013
Awesome put episodes of Enies Lobby and Water 7, together in one special story ... more I thought the beautiful spirit of Merry watching the crew. I remember the scene in the anime was also painful, Merry is a member of the crew was so special that had even a special just for him.
Aug 30, 2013 1:05 AM

Apr 2013
How it's possible italian and arabic sub comes before english?
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

Aug 30, 2013 6:03 AM

Mar 2013
5/5

It was spectacular ... have summarized Saga Eniess Lobby and Water Seven was also good to remember .... Ussop vs Luffy fight was very good .... very exciting impossible not to be moved after a great special this .....
Sep 1, 2013 10:59 AM
Oct 2012
Great special! 5/5
Sep 5, 2013 5:10 PM

Jun 2013
It was awesome having all those scenes reanimated, Luffy vs Lucci looked amazing, Brand New World when they were escaping was cool.

A little dissapointed on the impact dial scene's animation and not having Mother Sea on Merry's funeral.
Sep 5, 2013 11:05 PM

Jun 2011
AMAZINGGG!!!
Merry *sob*
5/5
Oct 19, 2013 10:52 AM

Jul 2011
So many memories...
Awesome special, I think this special was best so far.

New animations, cool to see. Yet still old epic scenes xD

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Nov 25, 2013 2:39 PM

May 2012
cant wait for subs so i watched it and surprisingly i understand everything lol..
my chest felt so heavy for almost 2 hrs.. my favorite part was when they're escaping while Brand new world is playing..

Hope Episode of zoro is next.. nice animation cant complain 9/10..

Dec 26, 2013 11:26 AM

Mar 2013
When luffy and usopp are arguing inside merry, usopp's bandana change it's color almost every camera change 0_0
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 8, 2014 7:59 AM
Dec 2013
Why no there is still no sub until today.. I can't wait!!
Feb 1, 2014 1:51 AM

Mar 2008
same... i don't get it
what's taking them so long?
Mar 1, 2014 5:14 PM
Nov 2011
i cried like a baby, excellent special.
Mar 11, 2014 1:03 AM

Jan 2014
Why there still no english subs for this special?

"When /a/ sends its fags, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you.
They’re sending fags that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to us.
They’re bringing cancer. They’re bringing bait. They’re shitposters.
And some, I assume, are good fags."
-@Xinil
Mar 29, 2014 12:54 PM

May 2009
Cried multiple times. This was an awesome special. First of all, it was great to rewatch all the great moments from Water 7. Second the ending had a nice touch. Third seeing how everyone has changed was awesome :)
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Apr 15, 2014 1:35 PM
Nov 2012
Enies Lobby Arc summary with new animation. So many memories... Also first ending of One Piece comes back! Man, I miss endings in the anime.
Apr 27, 2014 4:17 PM

Feb 2013
Amazing.
I cried again.
Merry, we will never forget you.
Apr 28, 2014 8:42 AM

Dec 2011
Oh my goodness. I cried. This is one of the best moments of One Piece.

It was also nice to see the epicness of the whole Water 7 arc.

Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and Chopper wrecking the Franky House
Luffy vs. Usopp
Luffy's speech to Robin
Sogeking burning the flag
Luffy vs. Rob Lucci

and of course, Merry saying goodbye. All my feels.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2014 7:46 AM

Aug 2013
Nearly perfect, except for some art choices/stuff being skipped... also, I preferred a lot of the original dialogue during some scenes (Luffy screaming "Let's go back together, Robin... Going Merry's funeral etc were a lot more impactful in the actual series)
Apr 30, 2014 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
Merry will live on forever in everyone's hearts!
May 6, 2014 7:55 AM

Feb 2011
I admit. I cried. I feel really sentimental now and even a bit nostalgic. I miss the Grand Line :(
May 6, 2014 7:58 AM

May 2014
it was a very emotional episode for me, really liked when brand new world started ;)
May 11, 2014 9:56 PM
May 2013
Animation is really improved but I feel story is too rushed, not feeling emotionally connected as the original. but CP9 is still my favorite arc. 7/10
May 12, 2014 9:56 AM

Dec 2012
Sogeking!
Enies Lobby arc, one of the best :)
May 13, 2014 5:33 AM

Oct 2013
great retell of the story! nice remake of the scenes and lovely extra material! love how usopp tells the story :) 5/5
constantly looking for the golden corn in the huge pile of turd
Jul 13, 2014 2:33 AM
Jul 2013
That fight against Rob Lucci was just perfect! My favorite fight in One piece so far!!
Tears were shed ..
Jul 15, 2014 10:23 PM

Jul 2013
I shed so many tears, that I feel dexydrated

Seeing Klabauterman on Sunny was sweet
Jul 19, 2014 4:07 AM

Nov 2008
The feels are strong with this one D:
Sep 13, 2014 7:44 AM

Jun 2012
This episode shitted on one of my favourite arcs of all time. At least the animation was good.
Sep 25, 2014 8:22 PM

Apr 2007
Goddammit Merry's death always makes me cry. It's a ship! I'll never understand.

Pretty much your standard recap with uh...better animation at some parts at least. Robin looked delicious <3 It was nice hearing the first One Piece ending "memories" too. I still love that song so much.
Nov 14, 2014 4:28 PM

Jan 2013
Still brings a tear to my eye, the story of Merry, as it did in the anime series itself.
It's amazing how a show can make you feel for a ship.

10/10
Jan 13, 2015 4:50 AM

Mar 2008
that was awesome... brings back lots of memories!
back when One Piece was simply amazing... way better animation, blood.. lots of emotions, darkness, great fights.. proper pacing and all that, damn it was perfect

now it's just 80% boobs and happy sunflower bullshit.. really miss the old One Piece

and when the music started.. you could really "feel" the adventure, such great moments!

too bad they didn't show the full "clutch"-scene in this one.. how Robin kills him properly
Jan 15, 2015 9:49 AM

Nov 2014
Goosebumps Goosebumps and more Goosebumps. I saw this through the anime series the whole arc gave me goosebumps. Now watching its movie about merry and parts of the arc gave me the chills again. 10/10 and 5/5 poll
Jun 2, 2015 11:07 AM

Oct 2009
Hmm this was just ok for me, failed to capture the magic and feels of this arc.
Though this made me realize how much I miss the old OP, I wish it would return to this..

6/10
Oct 15, 2015 5:23 PM

Aug 2014
My nose is running and I am covered in tears. I am a mess.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Jan 4, 2016 1:05 PM

Mar 2009
I am probably over-critical but I can't tell that I loved this summary (the one with Nami's story was way more better). Maybe its because I definately started to love OP while watching Water7 and Enies Lobby arc. So I am quite biased XD But arguing between Usopp and Luffy on Merry's board was really really well-made and I felt a lot of tension. Sadly, this was probably the best scene of this movie. It was too rushed for me. I missed too many favourite parts which made ma love those two arcs. And redubing didn't worked for me well.
But nostalgia hit me hardly in the end...
6/10
Jul 18, 2016 2:59 AM

Jun 2007
I can't believe it. They fucked up a recap movie...

The original animation from Water 7 was already HD, they didn't need to animate it again... also the music! They changed all the songs, and some scenes lost impact. The old song when the crew said goodbye to the Merry was perfect for that scene, but this new song is so boooring.
Jul 2, 2017 12:15 AM

Dec 2016
Seeing one of my favorite arcs like this was truly a fun time!! I also liked how they explained it to Brook which makes a lot of sense canon wise :p
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Emotional Memories

soulguard - Sep 1, 2022

1 by absideonx »»
Sep 2, 2022 4:05 PM

» Anyone know when this will be subbed?

Nick963 - Dec 8, 2013

12 by PeaceAndCake »»
May 13, 2014 5:30 AM

» Episode of Merry Ending Song

superspecialyugi - Aug 23, 2013

1 by Mep »»
May 6, 2014 5:02 PM

» Tears will be shed...

kaiirii - Jul 3, 2013

9 by DarkAngelz »»
Aug 11, 2013 9:48 AM

» PV

kaiirii - Jul 21, 2013

0 by kaiirii »»
Jul 21, 2013 2:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.