Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2013 12:31 AM

Jan 2011
Thought I'd throw something easy out to you guys. I kinda make this from time to time, but like all frugal like. If I get out of work in time I'll post something like this tomorrow.

Niku Udon

3 oz udon noodles
1 cup udonji, heated (your broth or soup)
2 oz beef tenderloin, very thinly sliced
1 tbsp sliced green (spring) onion
1 tbsp cooked tempura batter pieces
1/2 tsp ground white sesame seeds

Possible tools needed

VERY SHARP KNIFE
Mortar and Pestle

Cook udon noodles in boiling water for 8 minutes, until tender.

Pour hot udonji into a serving bowl. Spoon in hot cooked udon noodles.

Overlap slices of beef onto the noodles, covering half the bowl. Add green onions and tempura batter pieces to the soup.

Sprinkle sesame seeds over the soup and serve.

*****RAW BEEF*****

Okay, you've probably seen tataki before, right? If not, it's prepared by taking a piece of prime rib (what I used anyway) season with salt and pepper, and torching the outside until cooked, then quickly chilling in ice bath. Then the product is cut into very thin slices and served with sauce. Yeah, the inside is pretty much raw, but it's okay, just as long as it's very fresh.

I say if you're not comfortable with placing raw meat in your bowl, either bake your beef to a safe temperature, or sea each slice with a torch or just cook it a bit when you boil your broth, or even fry it a bit like a Philly steak. For people trying it out for the first time or to those who want to be safe from foodborne illness, I suggest doing that.

Anyway, it should be cut thin enough so that the broth would cook it on the spot, making it safe to eat. But I'll probably be precooking mine anyway, heh. (I suggest tossing it with some light soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper if you fry it up... good stuff)

*****UDONJI*****

Basically, it's broth. "Ji" is short for "-aji" which means taste or flavor. Quick Japanese broth could be like a tbsp of hondashi in water, adjusted with a good balance of soy sauce and mirin, while bringing it to a boil.

Lazy? Go ahead and just boil up some store-bought broth I guess...

*****TEMPURA*****

All you're doing is drizzling tempura into oil and making little crunchy fried pieces for the soup. But if you want to add something extra like tempura shrimp or vegetables would be a good addition, as well as an alternative to the meat.

*****FROZEN NOODLES*****

I like buying the udon noodles in the frozen food section of the market I go to. Usually six packs of frozen noodles. For best results, if you do use these noodles makes sure you defrost them first. Leaving them in water to thaw will make them absorb that water, making them too dense and less flavored when prepared.

Oh yeah, slurping is allowed when it comes to soup. It just shows appreciation for the dish, you know. Have fun!
RamenSoup43Aug 22, 2013 12:35 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 31, 2013 8:54 PM
Aug 2013
Ooohh that actually sounds really good.. :3
Do you have pictures? :o
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» About 10 years ago....

RamenSoup43 - Mar 2, 2021

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 PM

» RAMENSOUP RECIPE POST: Pancit Bihon

RamenSoup43 - Nov 24, 2016

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 24, 2016 4:44 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Chopsticks Dos and Don'ts"

RamenSoup43 - Nov 21, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Nov 21, 2015 8:14 PM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 4, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 4, 2015 7:04 AM

» KITCHEN KNOWLEDGE: "Just showing off?"

RamenSoup43 - Apr 1, 2015

0 by RamenSoup43 »»
Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.