Forum Settings
Forums

I don't understand Yaoi at all, why does every guy have to be gay?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 5, 2014 6:16 PM

Jul 2012
@Eearu: I'm not cherry picking. I'm using that as an example to say that some shoujo-ai/yuri also apply to the trope OP is talking about. In the end, not all homosexual anime/manga follow this trope.
Dec 5, 2014 6:19 PM

Mar 2013
gay
Dec 5, 2014 7:08 PM

Sep 2013
Anyone want some Bara (aka the superior yaoi) pics? ;)
Dec 5, 2014 7:34 PM

Feb 2013
The problem with yaoi, and the reason for the overflow of fujoshi into non BL shows, is the idiotic seme/uke dynamics. Many fujoshi dislike those cookie cutters and would rather read a romance between two men who are also good and unique characters in their own right, and because so little yaoi has that, for there to be BL pairings that actually feel worth rooting for, fujoshi end up looking in non BL shows.

Maybe it's different in Japan, but as a fujoshi I don't want to read a manga about a seme and a uke, I want to read a manga about two men who happen to be gay for each other, and have an interesting and unique dynamic. It's very hard to find that in actual yaoi shows. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is No 6. I'd much rather watch Tiger & Bunny, Hikaru no Go, Tsuritama, ect ect ect then Junjou Romantica.

As a fujoshi, I imagine the reason I got into yaoi in the first place, was because two hot guys is logically and mathematically hotter than one hot guy. So simple, right? But even if in the end I like it for such a simple reason as that, I also care for my ships themselves, and would feel no interest if it was two characters I didn't know/care about making out. If I disliked their potential romantic dynamic, fanart with them together would make me recoil. There's no way I can root for something with a boring or impossible to spin as romantic dynamic. The attractive part of yaoi should be the relationship between the two men, more then the before described hotness formula.

Er, I'm not going into the Mpreg stuff. That's kinda disgusting and I don't get it.

As for the 'everyone is gay' thing, I think it's because when fujoshi buy shows advertised to be yaoi, they paid for yaoi and they're watching for yaoi, so yaoi is what they want to get. Some fujoshi dislike being caught off guard by a straight ship in a gay show, because that's not what they're watching it for. Sometimes it gets boring, for the author and audience, to focus on one pairing if the pairing doesn't have a strong dynamic, so they need to switch between pairings to keep their interest. Also, fujoshi end up after a while becoming predisposed to search for potential BL in interactions between male characters, and tend to latch on to what they see. So if the author is already a fujoshi and starts seeing hints between two of her side characters, she'll probably want to expand on that relationship now that she's seen it. Maybe.
Dec 5, 2014 7:39 PM

Dec 2013
they're not real so it doesn't matter
Dec 5, 2014 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
Kezone said:
The problem with yaoi, and the reason for the overflow of fujoshi into non BL shows, is the idiotic seme/uke dynamics. Many fujoshi dislike those cookie cutters and would rather read a romance between two men who are also good and unique characters in their own right, and because so little yaoi has that, for there to be BL pairings that actually feel worth rooting for, fujoshi end up looking in non BL shows.

(...)

This is the best and most accurate post in this thread.

Also, a case where I like the extra side pairs is in Honto Yajuu. They were actually appropriate to add in the two extra pairings and it didn't ruin the main pairing's screen time.

To be honest, at times I find myself wishing Free! or Ookiku Furikabutte were actually shounen-ai because their male x male relationships are so well written and planned out and not so formulaic (unlike something like Junjou//Sekaiichi where's it's always a tsun uke x manly seme). It would be interesting to have more BL anime that are less "yeah i love you" "no stop!!" *rapes*
Dec 5, 2014 8:22 PM
Nov 2013
It's just pandering, you shouldn't care about yaoi. Good for laughs sometimes, but that's it.
Dec 5, 2014 8:23 PM

Apr 2013
ichii_1 said:
Share.
Dec 5, 2014 8:23 PM

Dec 2012
Sloth_ said:
ichii_1 said:
Share.
No, pls.
Dec 5, 2014 8:29 PM

Apr 2013
rothrock said:
Sloth_ said:
Share.
No, pls.
Don't fight it.
Dec 5, 2014 8:56 PM

Apr 2013
Sloth_ said:
rothrock said:
No, pls.
Don't fight it.
+1 for Sloth_

Dec 5, 2014 9:21 PM

Sep 2013
Sloth_ said:
ichii_1 said:
Share.

On second thought it's so hard to find SFW bara pics :(

Dec 5, 2014 11:29 PM

Oct 2013
If fujoshis wanna ship dudes from anime that has nothing to do with Yaoi, let them. I really don't see what the big deal is. So many of the shows coming out have at least some harem or ecchi elements, and probably at least half the guy population of MAL watches hentai, so what the fuck is the big deal letting girls fantasize over guys? We do the same thing (go take a look at all the doujin in fakku.net or something), so why critisize the other gender for it? If anything, in an industry where a lot of things pander to the male audience, I think its great that women can still get something out of those shows. You make think its annoying to hear girls ship straight anime guys, and even if it is, girls who like anime have to deal with us talking about stuff like how bouncy the boobs in Highschool of the Dead are, so just deal with it.
Jun 4, 2021 3:26 PM
Jun 2021
ur just way too gay to understand slut
Jun 4, 2021 3:36 PM

Oct 2010
this is one of the worst threads to necro
Jun 4, 2021 9:47 PM

Feb 2021
hm why does "dementia" manga have gross stuff in it? hmm wonder why maybe its bc their target audience is ppl who wants to see inhumane stuff!
piss
Jun 9, 2021 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
It's extremely forced enjoyment for the one that likes it.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 41 minutes ago

4 by ryokoblue »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

43 by MichaelJackson »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

104 by FFandMMfan »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

41 by SnipeStrike »»
14 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

67 by Chuckiemuffin »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.