Forum Settings
Forums

Guy falls for tomboyish unpopular/normal girl manga or anime?

New
Aug 17, 2013 3:19 PM
Aug 2013

i'm looking for a manga where there's an tomboyish/unpopular or tomboyish/normal girl who really doesnt care about the fact that she's uncool and then, there's a guy who falls for her.

The guy should be good looking or popular and good lucking. I prefer if:

- either he at first likes a girly girl who is well-liked and popular, especially to guys; but he ends up falling for the tomboy girl who isn't as popular ( kinda like DN Angel )

OR

- he is popular and falls for the tomboy girl ( who doesn't " LIKE " him in that way , at first )

Please read the requirements below ! (:

I DONT WANT:

- genderbender

- A " boy-crazy" girls or a crybaby

- A too shy/timid girl who can't speak her mind well (Kimi ni Todoke)

- A girl who cares too much about finding love

- Please no love at first sight. I like development.

- the guy to be shorter than the girl

I WANT:

- A girl who is independent and doesnt really care about finding a boyfriend

- i like it when the boy falls in love first too. But it doesn't have to be like that. ( As long as they don't fall in love too fast. )

- It would be nice if the boy is all popular and all the girls want him, but this girl
is indifferent to him.

- the girl to be tomboyish / dress tomboyish

- i prefer if the girl was unpopular / normal. I don't want a popular girl lead.

- that boys don't normally like the girl, cuz she's tomboyish. But of course, the main male lead falls for her.

- I enjoy jealousy from the guy (:

REMEMBER: - Tomboy and violent/arrogant are two different things. Louise (from Zero no Tsukaima ) is violent and arrogant, but she isn't a tomboy.

thank you so much, and sorry for all these requirements!
im a little picky, sorry.
I'm just tired of the same old manga with the girls whining about wanting a boyfriend and there are just some other things im not into.
I hope you guys can find things that fit the criteria. Thanks! (:
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2013 3:21 PM

Feb 2013
i hate this anime but its popular and it seems the thing you like
kimi ni todoke
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Aug 17, 2013 3:25 PM

May 2011
Smooki said:
kimi ni todoke

She did say she doesn't want one like Kimi ni Todoke. Plus she has already watched it.

OT: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Might be what you're looking for. It fits most of your descriptions pretty well.

ZhuyoAug 17, 2013 3:28 PM
Aug 17, 2013 3:27 PM
Aug 2013
oops, yeah I already watched tonari no kaibutsu-kun and enjoyed it. I just forgot to add it. But thanks for the suggestion!
Aug 17, 2013 3:29 PM

May 2011
You should update your list.

Chihayafuru
This one has characters like the ones you're looking for but its main focus isn't romance.
Aug 17, 2013 3:43 PM
Aug 2013
SilverMorning said:
You should update your list.

Chihayafuru
This one has characters like the ones you're looking for but its main focus isn't romance.

Thanks; this one seems to fit the criteria. (:
Aug 17, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2012
maybe you like this
Sukitte Ii na yo.: http://myanimelist.net/anime/14289/Sukitte_Ii_na_yo. ( normale girl )
Aug 17, 2013 4:15 PM
Aug 2013
itachixkiller said:
maybe you like this
Sukitte Ii na yo.: http://myanimelist.net/anime/14289/Sukitte_Ii_na_yo. ( normale girl )

I read some of it; and i thought they got together too fast. But besides that, I liked the idea of it.
Aug 18, 2013 10:32 PM
Aug 2013
Smooki said:
kimi ni todoke

Honestly, i didn't enjoy kimi ni todoke. The female lead was kinda frustrating, she just won't speak up. Especially the part where she and him stopped talking, because she was too scared or something. And she talks in her mind too much, like she thinks waaay too much into everything. ( without saying much aloud, of course )

She's waay too timid/shy for my taste.
Aug 18, 2013 10:37 PM
Aug 2013
typosftw said:
Kaichou wa maid sama is probably my favorite romance simply because Misaki doesn't fall for him right away

thanks, but i alrdy watched it
Aug 18, 2013 10:47 PM

Jan 2011
Aishiteruze Baby would seem to fit the bill. Manga is a little better than the anime to my mind but they're both fine. (and I watched the anime first). The main difference is that the anime had an original end that avoided the final few chapters of the manga and some of the more adult situations involving the lead couple were only hinted at in the anime. Most importantly the lead couple seemed a lot more realistic in terms of where high school students are, than most anime's traditional rather old fashioned attitude, but I find that an advantage of shoujo over shounen romance.
rodacAug 18, 2013 10:54 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 19, 2013 12:03 AM
Aug 2013
rodac said:
Aishiteruze Baby would seem to fit the bill. Manga is a little better than the anime to my mind but they're both fine. (and I watched the anime first). The main difference is that the anime had an original end that avoided the final few chapters of the manga and some of the more adult situations involving the lead couple were only hinted at in the anime. Most importantly the lead couple seemed a lot more realistic in terms of where high school students are, than most anime's traditional rather old fashioned attitude, but I find that an advantage of shoujo over shounen romance.

oh, but is the female lead in Aishiteruze Baby tomboyish? Like she acts/dresses guyish and all.
Aug 19, 2013 12:06 AM

Jun 2007
Tomboys are never unpopular.
Aug 19, 2013 12:12 AM
Aug 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:

I meant in the story's setting, not in real life. But the character doesn't have to be unpopular, she can just be tomboyish and normal.
Aug 19, 2013 12:31 AM

Dec 2007
Try Himitsu no Ai-chan. It fits your criteria iirc.
And Koi Dano Ai Dano. She's not exactly tomboyish, but not insterested in looks like other girls. She's plenty independent. The story starts with the male lead already in love with her, so you might also want to check out the prequel Warau Kanoko-sama for how it happened.
Aug 19, 2013 1:39 AM

Aug 2013
Kokoro Connect

Mod Edit: Please use spoiler tags.
LunaAug 20, 2013 2:54 AM
Aug 19, 2013 12:03 PM
Aug 2013
merryyeah said:
And Koi Dano Ai Dano. She's not exactly tomboyish, but not insterested in looks like other girls. She's plenty independent. The story starts with the male lead already in love with her, so you might also want to check out the prequel Warau Kanoko-sama for how it happened.

I read some of Warau Kanoko-sama, and he did seem kinda interested in her but i wasn't too sure.

So does that mean in Koi Dana Ai Dano, it's proven canon? Like he does/says something that proves he likes likes her.

Just curious, because the first one didn't have much romance so i thought they were just all good friends.
Aug 19, 2013 12:08 PM
Aug 2013
aratakun said:
Kokoro Connect

hmm i read the summary. Apparently they switch bodies, or personalities or something. And there is 5 boys and girls, and a love pentagon.

All that sounds incredibly confusing. So.... Is Kokoro Connect confusing? It sounds like it would be super confusing with all the body switching love pentagon and 5 girls and 5 guys all mixed into it. Even the summary sounded confusing.

Mod Edit: Modified quote.
LunaAug 20, 2013 2:55 AM
Aug 19, 2013 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
Suzuka..? Everything fits your criteria except maybe the tomboyish part, but the main girl protagonist is from the track and field team if that counts.
Aug 19, 2013 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
First thing that came to mind was Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster). She's not exactly a tomboy, but she doesn't really care about "girly" stuff.

mino-chaan said:
aratakun said:
Kokoro Connect

hmm i read the summary. Apparently they switch bodies, or personalities or something. And there is 5 boys and girls, and a love pentagon.

All that sounds incredibly confusing. So.... Is Kokoro Connect confusing? It sounds like it would be super confusing with all the body switching love pentagon and 5 girls and 5 guys all mixed into it. Even the summary sounded confusing.

It's surprisingly easy to follow. I'd give it a watch, and then make sure you watch the four episode OVA that concludes the series (Michi Random).

LunaAug 20, 2013 2:56 AM
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Aug 19, 2013 2:52 PM

Feb 2011
I think that :

http://myanimelist.net/manga/1183/Cross_Game and
http://myanimelist.net/manga/4770/Full_House

may suit your taste.

Cross Games it´s the one with more traits that you specified, the girl is tomboyish and cool, but the principal male it´s not quite popular, at least not in the beginning even through it´s a story centered in baseball, there´s plenty drama, i prefer to think, that´s it´s a slice of life mixed with the sport, one of my favorites.

Full House is a bit more dramatic, and can be heavy in the psychological, but the comic relive is always present, so the reading does n´t get tiring.But the protagonist is a tomboy that thinks of love, not like some brainless girl.She´s gutsy and speaks her mind, the guy is possesive, and too popular for his own good, a bit naive too.And there´s plenty of pages for a development, just what you asked.

Well, you did say that you dind´t appreciate the protagonist to be crazy love, but, try this one :

http://myanimelist.net/manga/7630/Toshokan_Sensou:_Love_&_War

Toshokan Sensou it´s not exactly your preferences, but, the protagonist it´s a tomboy,more the clumsy type, and the love between the two have development.It have more action than what you may like, but i recommend.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/1896/Akuma_to_Love_Song
In this one the protagonist it´s not too tomboy, but she´s cool.There´s development between.It´s more physiological then simple slice of life, but the development of characters is good.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/11850/Keishichou_Tokuhanka_007
I do categorize the protagonist as a Tomboy, as the way she acts gives me this feeling, but, she doesn´t dress as one.There´s a development between the two, and the guy gives possessive vibes.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/30315/Last_Game
She´s not a tomboy at all, but it´s your typical girl that doesn´t have interest in love.

Good Luck.
Aug 19, 2013 3:07 PM
Aug 2013
Chibi-wolf-10 said:
I think that :

http://myanimelist.net/manga/1183/Cross_Game and
http://myanimelist.net/manga/4770/Full_House

may suit your taste.

Cross Games it´s the one with more traits that you specified, the girl is tomboyish and cool, but the principal male it´s not quite popular, at least not in the beginning even through it´s a story centered in baseball, there´s plenty drama, i prefer to think, that´s it´s a slice of life mixed with the sport, one of my favorites.

Full House is a bit more dramatic, and can be heavy in the psychological, but the comic relive is always present, so the reading does n´t get tiring.But the protagonist is a tomboy that thinks of love, not like some brainless girl.She´s gutsy and speaks her mind, the guy is possesive, and too popular for his own good, a bit naive too.And there´s plenty of pages for a development, just what you asked.

Well, you did say that you dind´t appreciate the protagonist to be crazy love, but, try this one :

http://myanimelist.net/manga/7630/Toshokan_Sensou:_Love_&_War

Toshokan Sensou it´s not exactly your preferences, but, the protagonist it´s a tomboy,more the clumsy type, and the love between the two have development.It have more action than what you may like, but i recommend.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/1896/Akuma_to_Love_Song
In this one the protagonist it´s not too tomboy, but she´s cool.There´s development between.It´s more physiological then simple slice of life, but the development of characters is good.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/11850/Keishichou_Tokuhanka_007
I do categorize the protagonist as a Tomboy, as the way she acts gives me this feeling, but, she doesn´t dress as one.There´s a development between the two, and the guy gives possessive vibes.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/30315/Last_Game
She´s not a tomboy at all, but it´s your typical girl that doesn´t have interest in love.

Good Luck.

Ahaha thanks! you have me so many suggestions :D

I think Toshokan Sensou and Full House seem to fit my taste, but the others sound pretty interesting too. I'll be sure to check them out.

Full House's art isn't the kind of art I like. It's a bit more ' realistic ', and I'm more into the usual anime/manga art. But the plot and characters fits the criteria, so hopefully it would make up for the art. So I'll try it out anyway.

As for Toshokan Sensou, the art looks great! Just my type. And I don't mind action/fighting at all. I even enjoy it, especially if the characters have powers/abilities. Anyways, so i read the characters and summary. The story seems very unique and interesting, and the romance seems very cute too! I'll be sure to check it out!
icecreamisgoodAug 19, 2013 3:18 PM
Aug 19, 2013 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
mino-chaan said:
aratakun said:
Kokoro Connect

Its confusing in a sense that, not enough was explained for the supernatural stuff. I really enjoyed that anime though and I think you should go for it.

LunaAug 20, 2013 2:56 AM
Aug 19, 2013 3:30 PM

May 2013
Definitely watch Kokoro Connect, it's one of my favourite anime and the summary really doesn't give it enough justice.
Aug 19, 2013 10:51 PM
Aug 2013
Neteyes said:
Definitely watch Kokoro Connect, it's one of my favourite anime and the summary really doesn't give it enough justice.

Alright, but just to make sure. The female lead IS a tomboy right? Cause the summary just said she was " cool "
Aug 20, 2013 12:36 AM

Jan 2010
Warau Kanoko-sama and its sequel Koi Dano Ai Dano. Kanoko doesn't really dress tomboys but her character design is pretty plain overall other than that I think it has everything you want.
Aug 20, 2013 1:55 AM

Jan 2011
mino-chaan said:
rodac said:

oh, but is the female lead in Aishiteruze Baby tomboyish? Like she acts/dresses guyish and all.

Not a tomboy, but she definitely isn't interested in the male lead (who is the class romeo) at the start. Also it's worth watching just for the song "Sunnyside Up" which is the OP.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 20, 2013 2:35 AM

Dec 2007
mino-chaan said:
merryyeah said:

I read some of Warau Kanoko-sama, and he did seem kinda interested in her but i wasn't too sure.

So does that mean in Koi Dana Ai Dano, it's proven canon? Like he does/says something that proves he likes likes her.

Just curious, because the first one didn't have much romance so i thought they were just all good friends.
Yep it's canon he likes her in the sequel. They now both go to the same high school. Iirc, it was already like that for him in Kanoko-sama. After all he's the only one among their group of friends who visits every school she transfers to. And they almost
in the last chapter of Warau Kanoko-sama, didn't they?
Aug 20, 2013 2:51 AM

May 2008
Library Wars is amazing and underrated. (⌒▽⌒)
Aug 20, 2013 5:20 AM

Aug 2012
hmm, interesting

Arakawa Under The Bridge maybe ?
Aug 20, 2013 6:14 PM
Aug 2013
Psyche_Izaya said:

I tried watching some of it, but it kinda bugged me that the girl towered over the guy. She was like a head taller than him.
And what bugged me more, was that he was basically like her teacher and had authority over her... Yet he's a total midget and shes all tall.

To me, it looks kinda awkward when they stand near eachother; with the obvious height difference and all.

Does he grow any taller? Or are they like that the whole story through o__o
Aug 20, 2013 9:25 PM

Jan 2010
mino-chaan said:
Psyche_Izaya said:

I tried watching some of it, but it kinda bugged me that the girl towered over the guy. She was like a head taller than him.
And what bugged me more, was that he was basically like her teacher and had authority over her... Yet he's a total midget and shes all tall.

To me, it looks kinda awkward when they stand near eachother; with the obvious height difference and all.

Does he grow any taller? Or are they like that the whole story through o__o

No, Lieutenant Dojo doesn't grow any taller, but the story itself as well as the development of their relationship is pretty good overall. I really like this "Library Wars" and I agree that it's a very underrated show but I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for right now, but give it a try in the future, it has a very interesting premise.
Aug 29, 2013 5:58 PM
Aug 2013
Is the female lead from Kokoro Connect a tomboy? The Inaba girl that dates the male lead.
Aug 29, 2013 7:02 PM

Oct 2012
Mujuuryoku Shounen

Okay, this rec probably doesn't fit at all, but at least the girl is a tomboy, and a cute one imo :)
Aug 30, 2013 5:56 AM

Dec 2012
mino-chaan said:
Is the female lead from Kokoro Connect a tomboy? The Inaba girl that dates the male lead.

Just watch Kokoro Connect already! Trust me, you are going to like it. And yes, Inaba is a bit of a tomboy. Not a hardcore one, but she does act like one every now and again.

Also don't worry about it being confuzing, it's not and the body switching is just the first "phenomenon" that the group is subjected to (due to the whole "body switching" description, my brother wrote the anime off as a "gag anime". After hearing that I almost didn't watch it myself.. I'm glad that I did give it a chance, one of my favorite anime right now ^^)
Aug 30, 2013 10:14 AM

Sep 2012
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (S1+S2)

Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2014 9:44 AM
May 2012
icecreamisgood said:
merryyeah said:

Obviously if you read more of it you would realize that they guy is eventally so head over heels for her, her inability to think that someone like him could possibly like a "girl like her" actually pains him... like he gets super frustrated in both mangas because of her ignorance. It's super cute
Jul 7, 2014 3:38 PM
Oct 2010
I think you just described Beauty Pop perfectly, I just LOVED the main girl character, she's so cool and chill about everything, the title isn't the best kind of title, but read the description
Aug 7, 2014 8:33 PM
Apr 2014
Ookami-heika no Hanayome
Jan 4, 2015 2:33 PM
Jan 2015
Special A is one of my favs. Don't know if you've seen that one yet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_%C2%B7_A:_Special_A
Jan 4, 2015 2:36 PM

Oct 2009
Wow. someone invent a time machine, please!

To contribute something: Imadoki
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jan 4, 2015 2:40 PM

Jan 2014
Bit727 said:
I think you just described Beauty Pop perfectly, I just LOVED the main girl character, she's so cool and chill about everything, the title isn't the best kind of title, but read the description

This. Beauty Pop has hands down one of my favorite shoujo protagonists of all time. However, the romance in it isn't really the "main part" of the story, as there is legit no romantic devlopment till say the last few chapters. It is still amazing amazing though, my favorite shoujo <3

Also I would try Lovely Complex, the girl in there is sorta tomboyish, and it's super cute :D
May 23, 2015 9:00 PM
May 2015
I would say the closest anime show to what you like to watch it... UFO Baby. It is very similiar to Kodocha.
Jul 5, 2015 3:16 AM
Jul 2015
These are all manga by the way :

17 sai kiss to dilemma: The male lead is the female lead's cousin. In front of her he acts like a scaredy cat and shy but the fact is that he is really smart and loves her secretly.

Kiss de seiyaku: The male lead is a popular playboy and the female lead is a ordinary unpopular girl. Her ancestors was cursed so now whoever gets her first kiss will have to kiss her every single day or else she will get sick and die at a young age. I recommend this one alot :D

The princes cactus: The male lead is a prince and the female lead is his " aunt ". She is very independent and is strong willed. First they start of with some verbal fighting then he starts to slowly like her. Her sister married his dad that is why they got this " aunt" and
" nephew " relationship

Hope you enjoy :D
Jul 6, 2015 2:51 PM
Jul 2015
Reimei No Arcana is kind of good for the whole "popular guy falls for the tomboyish girl that really doesn't care at first while having other girls fawning over him" thing but it's not set in the modern time period (I don't know if that's a problem though).
Then there's Watashi Ga Motete Dousunda. You might have a problem with the fact that it's not really slow falling in love though, and there are multiple people who fall for her (all of which are popular in their own right), but she's not really indifferent per say... She's just such a major fujioshi-otaku that she fangirls too much for her indifference to really be an issue.
There's also Hana Ni Arashi. This one is kind of perfect i guess, except for the fact that he's more of a "love at first sight" type, while she's falls in love gradually. There's also the added bonus of he's a corporate god and she's a highschool girl but whatever there's only like a one or two year difference.
I also liked Kuragehime (the anime was titled Princess Jellyfish). I suggest the manga if anything because the anime ended on an unsatisfactory not while the manga is still continuing. Definitely a popular guy falling for the nerdy indifferent (i guess) girl first. Although she's not really indifferent, she just doesn't know how to deal with guys so she gets kind of wonky.
There's also Ouran High School Host Club, if your want more comedy and funny plot arcs in between. Still gets to the same end.
I hope one of these recommendations helped.
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
suluzahMay 31, 2017 9:47 PM
Jul 6, 2015 4:14 PM
Jul 12, 2015 4:19 PM
Jul 2015
you might want to check out ranma 1/2 and wallflower. I think.both of these would be good choices for you. rurouni kenshin as well maybe?
Jul 13, 2015 10:57 AM
Jul 2015
Last game fits the description perfectly
Jul 17, 2015 1:32 PM
Jun 2015
TallonKarrde23 said:
EXCUSE YOU M8. That is a lieeee.

And it seems as if most of the mob romances would be to your liking.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
5 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
10 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.