Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2013 11:51 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So I watched he English version and immediately I recognized Ash Ketchum and Guts. Interestingly enough, the guy who did the voice for Guts looked and acted exactly like the main character, Bois. Lol.

Anyway, it was a nice little anime. Was this like a prototype or something? There are so much more possible ways the story, the world, the characters could all have expanded!
Oct 16, 2013 9:36 PM

Apr 2009
Alipio said:
There are so much more possible ways the story, the world, the characters could all have expanded!

Yeah this would be a good anime series if they expanded the characters back stories, and what's happening with rest of the world. I'm most interested on how other people are coping with the societal collapse coupled with the disasters, where surviving for a day is the norm. Though I didn't/will not read the manga and it'll probably be a depressing tale but it would a good story material.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 15, 2015 12:51 AM

Feb 2008
Just one story from a huge saga. The city of dead was a really interesting idea, and I'm really curious about the state of the outside world, since people struggle to survive every day. This way it's kind of like watching the Moria chapter of LotR stand alone.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 12, 2015 7:14 PM

Feb 2013
Ha! They went around in a circle back where they started!

It had a good "adventure" feel to it. 4/10 (below average) overall.
Dec 5, 2015 8:42 PM

Jul 2010
I like it for what it was but like others said, it really felt like a side story to something greater instead. Would have wanted a series.
Dec 20, 2015 11:05 AM
Dec 2014
Really liked this movie, this was made in a time when the anime industry had money to burn. Especially loved the sound design.

It is little gems like this that make me happy watching anime.
May 28, 2019 8:11 PM

Jul 2008
Well this is based on a 28 volume series of novels so there IS a huge world and this IS only a snippet of it.

My problem with it is we don't know anything about Bois or Tieh, they're pretty boring and act their parts. I enjoyed thinking of what could have been possible with this anime more than actually enjoying the movie itself. I like the dark fantasy setting and the design of it all.
May 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Apr 2012
Hadn't watched old school anime in awhile, and I had forgotten how everything had weight. You can feel the weight of pigments on the cel, on the background canvas, on the reel. Everything has depth, feels thick.

The plot was minimal, but as an adventure side story that was decent, almost like a conanesque version of Ruin Explorer imho. Not bad.
Dec 31, 2020 1:12 PM

Jun 2014
Fuck, this was bad.

1/10, not even worth thinking it about it ever again.
:3
Mar 31, 2021 8:53 AM

Aug 2012
This would make a great fantasy series, similar to something abit like Girls Last Tour or Mushishi. Episodic stories of these travelers adventures through this bleak world.

Seen some complaints about just how bleak this film is, honestly I kind of liked it. In the current climate of MMO RPG Fantasy worlds flooding the Anime market this more dystopian and melodramatic take was really appealing. The city of the dead was really interesting. The fact that the main 3 characters are simply trying to survive rather than save the world or a person from some villain is such a refreshing take in 2021 and this came out in 1992. This was more inline with Berserk, Twelve Kingdoms and Lodoss War than say Log Horizon, SAO or Konosuba. I find the former more appealing for fantasy worlds but sadly they are rare and hard to come by in modern shows at the moment.

Find it kinda bizarre that Boice and Tieh weren't seemingly aware that Lakshi was a girl, though maybe they were but just went along with her wishes.

Loved the character designs and I thought the animation throughout was nice. The BGM was overbearing though or at least mixed poorly for both dub/sub. Often times the BGM tracks were close to if not drowning out the dialogue. Also felt the BGM could have been cut back to more set the atmosphere of their progress through the tomb.

Anyway overall I thought this OVA was pretty good. So a solid 7/10 from me.
Aug 23, 2022 12:49 PM

Feb 2017
This was pretty nice I must say. The world looks great and seems really interesting and rich in lore. Characters also look really cool, love the designs. It was a cool little episode of what seems to be a grand adventure. Shame a series was never made because judging by this movie it has a lot of potential.
May 7, 2023 7:38 AM

Jul 2015
Loved the visuals and the animation was really great
I didn't really understand their surprise when they exited the ruin though?
My Candies:

Bonus:
Apr 7, 6:48 PM

Aug 2017
This was interesting, the story had potential, too bad it's a one OVA, I liked the art-style and the OST, the world setting got me intrigued to see more of it,
I'll give it a 7, I'll love to see similar OVA/anime/Movie with similar vibes.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.