Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever been judged for knowing a foreign language?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 12, 2013 2:53 AM

Aug 2009
I do speak/understand several languages besides English and I don't think that has had any negative effects and I have gotten to know a lot of people by breaking the language barrier that I otherwise wouldn't have met.

So I completely disagree with your friend that you should only know/speak your native language. Even if your native language is English I still think that you should learn another language.

Regicide said:
besides you can switch languages when you don't want people to understand what you mean, and thats convenient enough for me.

This. Basically everytime I travel I feel bad for Americans and British people cause everyone can understand what they are saying all the time and they have no choice but to speak English.
Aug 12, 2013 3:16 AM

Jun 2013
Hiryu12 said:
I think you have a good but small point; but still a bigger picture would be tourists...
I mean if I go to a Middle Eastern country (I can speak Filipino and English fluently) do they really expect me to learn their language for my short stay in their country? And I do agree that this kind of mentality is appalling but I don't think a lot of people do that... 0.o

Probably, but I can't sympathise with that. I've yet to visit an English-speaking country (or one in the ME). Never done any of that tourist stuff.
Aug 12, 2013 3:22 AM

Apr 2013
Jyupita said:
Hiryu12 said:
I think you have a good but small point; but still a bigger picture would be tourists...
I mean if I go to a Middle Eastern country (I can speak Filipino and English fluently) do they really expect me to learn their language for my short stay in their country? And I do agree that this kind of mentality is appalling but I don't think a lot of people do that... 0.o

Probably, but I can't sympathise with that. I've yet to visit an English-speaking country (or one in the ME). Never done any of that tourist stuff.
Fair enough. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? 0.o

Aug 12, 2013 3:39 AM

Jun 2013
Hiryu12 said:

I live in Germany...nowadays. And you seem to be a Philippino who lives in some English country?
Aug 12, 2013 3:43 AM

Apr 2013
Jyupita said:
Hiryu12 said:

I live in Germany...nowadays. And you seem to be a Philippino who lives in some English country?
Yes. I'm a Filipino living in Australia... I actually experienced people telling me how good my English is... Probably because English was taught in Philippine schools at an early stage...

So you live in Germany... I love to visit there...
One word: ADIDAS!!!!! xD

Aug 12, 2013 3:57 AM

Mar 2013
He's just jealous that you speak more languages than him, plus he's not going anywhere. Ever.

I love you.
Aug 12, 2013 6:44 AM

Jun 2013
Scatto said:
Being judged is no new thing to me buut being judged for knowing a foreign language?

It's kinda fascinating being judged for that.

Such as english(and yeah it's not my first language) I keep getting reproaches for knowing it, I mean it's supposed to be the most used language in the world and it's used in computers video games, movies, books, anime and the list goes on, it's absolutely needed in the world today.

A "friend" of mine kept telling me that I'm showing disrespect towards my "mother" language for knowing other language. What do you think about that?

Is learning a foregin language an insult to your "mother" language?

It's new to me as well. Being able to speak multiple languages is something you should be proud of. Where do you live? If you don't mind.
Aug 12, 2013 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
ElTee said:
I think it's less about the fact someone knows another language, and more about how often they speak it.

^This. Knowing different languages is hardly a reason to hate someone, yet having people use foreign words, completely talking in another language for no apparent reason, or using the "How do you say X word?" comes across as pedantic.
Aug 12, 2013 7:15 AM

Mar 2013
My parents sometimes judged me for knowing English more than my native language when I was younger. Though it was partly their fault since they just kept pressuring me to study harder without doing much familial communication.

There was also a tiny bit of poking fun when I started learning Japanese mostly because the people of my ethnicity (Take a guess~) are kinda resentful of the Japanese.

That's probably an understatement.

Then, there's not only knowing a foreign language, but the way you speak it. Some people talk reeeaally loudly in their language and it gets annoying.
Aug 12, 2013 8:19 AM

Apr 2013
Your friend is just jelly about it
Aug 12, 2013 8:20 AM

Sep 2011
Well, they WILL if I tried to speak foreign language.

Aug 12, 2013 8:21 AM

Aug 2012
I'm sure if I tried to speak Japanese in Japan, I'd be judged quite harshly.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 12, 2013 8:53 AM

Apr 2013
Always.. I mean if I visit different provinces from Canada its most likely that a few douchebags will make fun of me because I'm french canadian..
Aug 12, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2012
People are annoyed by it for some reason.

I think they got used to being called "retarded" and now they have to find something else that is insulting to them.

Don't mind them, they are retarded after all. And we have to tolerate retards.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 12, 2013 9:00 AM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
And we have to tolerate retards.

Only because it isn't legal to euthanize them.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 12, 2013 9:03 AM

Jun 2011
Goryo said:

I've found it to be quite the opposite... and alot of Japanese people are a little self conscious about their english, so if you approach them trying to speak Japanese, they feel more comfortable to communicate with you. They really dig it when you're trying your best... and will often compliment you on how good your Japanese is, even if it sucks.
Aug 12, 2013 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
Goryo said:
Immahnoob said:
And we have to tolerate retards.

Only because it isn't legal to euthanize them.

Or to torture them.

Autocrat said:
Aug 12, 2013 11:44 AM

Aug 2012
Ok for those asking I come from Romania. And yes I am proud of where I come from, yet not to the level where knowing foreign languages is something bad., or thinking that persons who leave their country are traitors...
Aug 12, 2013 2:42 PM
Nov 2008
This one time this middle-aged woman approached me while I was studying a Japanese language guide book.
She asked me why I was learning Japanese, kind of in a condescending manner and proceeded to ask why I wasn't learning something like Spanish instead.

Fuck you, bitch.
Aug 12, 2013 3:17 PM

Sep 2012
Neuromute said:
This one time this middle-aged woman approached me while I was studying a Japanese language guide book.
She asked me why I was learning Japanese, kind of in a condescending manner and proceeded to ask why I wasn't learning something like Spanish instead.
Fuck you, bitch.

You should replayed - Why don't you learn to STFU?
Aug 12, 2013 4:22 PM

Jun 2013
You mean in good way ?
Yes, All the time.

When does people judge someone for getting knowledge ?
Aug 12, 2013 7:17 PM

Jul 2013
People have only said that its cool that I know multiple languages, so in a positive way, yes.
Aug 13, 2013 12:36 AM
May 2011
Im asian and people think its cool i speak spanish
Aug 13, 2013 7:15 AM

Feb 2012
Why would someone say that knowing a foreign language is an insult to your mother language? That is incredibly stupid. The more languages you know, the better.
...although a lot of people wonder why do I speak and willingly study German, since apparently, a lot of them consider the language pretty unappealing.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Aug 13, 2013 7:21 AM

Jul 2013
Scatto said:

A "friend" of mine kept telling me that I'm showing disrespect towards my "mother" language for knowing other language. What do you think about that?

Is learning a foregin language an insult to your "mother" language?

Wait are you serious?
Look. It's very normal for someone to know more than one language. In america, to graduate from high school, you are REQUIRED to take at least one class of foreign language (and I think two classes to get into college). What exactly is a mother language? Is it just a first language? I'm an ABC, so I guess my first language is English, but since there are a lot of immigrants in the states a lot of people like me can speak both Chinese and English. Not saying my Chinese is good lol it's pretty sucky even after living in China for two years.

But no.
People shouldnt be judged. It's natural, and definitely not disrespectful. It's an interesting skill.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 13, 2013 9:21 AM

Apr 2012
I speak better English than Arabic despite being in the region for about two-thirds of my life.
I share your feelings, OP.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 13, 2013 9:51 AM

Sep 2012
Pocketasces said:
Goryo said:

I've found it to be quite the opposite... and alot of Japanese people are a little self conscious about their english, so if you approach them trying to speak Japanese, they feel more comfortable to communicate with you. They really dig it when you're trying your best... and will often compliment you on how good your Japanese is, even if it sucks.
About the whole complimenting you Japanese thing...

I've seen YouTube blogs of people who are studying abroad/living in Japan. I've seen a few of them comment on this sort of attitude that Japanese people display for foreigners.

Yes, it is complimenting, but it is also sort of condescending. Like, you compliment a dog for sitting down when you tell it to. Or you see a 1st grader's macaroni art, and call it a masterpiece while hanging it on the fridge.

Like, they don't really mean it. It's just them being polite, and subtly looking down on you. Not in a mean way, but a kind of implied way.
Aug 13, 2013 10:16 AM

Sep 2011
Red_Keys said:
I have never, not once in my life, heard of somebody being looked down upon because they could speak multiple languages. What the fuck.

This, I mean seriously what the heck >_>
Aug 13, 2013 10:23 AM

Apr 2012
RazielZero said:
Red_Keys said:
I have never, not once in my life, heard of somebody being looked down upon because they could speak multiple languages. What the fuck.

You guys probably live around people that don't have the intelligence of a rock.

Some of us aren't that lucky.

Autocrat said:
Aug 13, 2013 10:33 AM

Apr 2008
If you're misusing terms from another language in yours, he/she can be right. If you force other to speak a foreign language, he/she is absolutely right. But if you don't I cannot justify that assertion.

Said that, I cannot understand English native speakers ask for someone speaking their language wherever they go, they have to make an effort to understand people and languages of the country they're visiting, like non-native English speakers do with the English.
chiraleAug 13, 2013 10:41 AM
Aug 13, 2013 10:49 AM

Jun 2013
Immahnoob said:
RazielZero said:
Red_Keys said:

You guys probably live around people that don't have the intelligence of a rock.

Some of us aren't that lucky.

That's some curious shit. Most people I'm dealing with nowadays (non-internet Germans, mind you) will react positively when they find out you speak other languages, but only if you speak German without any accent.
Aug 13, 2013 11:16 AM

Mar 2013
Your friend is stupid.
Aug 13, 2013 6:46 PM

Sep 2012
Jyupita said:
That's some curious shit. Most people I'm dealing with nowadays (non-internet Germans, mind you) will react positively when they find out you speak other languages, but only if you speak German without any accent.
But that's not looking down on you because you can speak multiple languages.

That's looking down on you because you can't speak the native language (well).
Aug 13, 2013 11:59 PM

Jun 2013
Nope, never. I am Canadian and live in Canada and generally people here seem to think it is pretty cool if you know any language that isn't English or French (our national languages). It's never seen as a disgrace to our mother language to learn something new (at least not where I live in Canada).
Aug 14, 2013 8:04 AM

Aug 2013
"Knowing other language is disrespectful towards your mother language"? Ridiculous
maybe your friend doesn't like globalization.. English Language is our international language, take it or not, it is the most popular and most learned language.
"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist."
-Epicurus
Aug 17, 2013 9:24 AM

Jul 2013
certainly it's not an insult nor showing disrespect whatsoever! I'm not sure why your friend would say that, most probably he is enthocentric with their language and culture. (no offense to his beliefs)

See Rizal for example, he learned ldhmzjljnkdgj 22, if I'm correct, languages. doesn't mean he disrespected his own nation. :))
Aug 17, 2013 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
Don't lie guys. When you see a whole click of mexicans in the dollar store speaking Spanish only one thing comes to mind.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

43 by 9765 »»
7 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

5 by Noboru »»
17 minutes ago

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by Serafos »»
25 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

9 by Noboru »»
35 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

9 by Meusnier »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.