Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever been judged for knowing a foreign language?

New
Aug 11, 2013 2:12 PM

Aug 2012
Being judged is no new thing to me buut being judged for knowing a foreign language?

It's kinda fascinating being judged for that.

Such as english(and yeah it's not my first language) I keep getting reproaches for knowing it, I mean it's supposed to be the most used language in the world and it's used in computers video games, movies, books, anime and the list goes on, it's absolutely needed in the world today.

A "friend" of mine kept telling me that I'm showing disrespect towards my "mother" language for knowing other language. What do you think about that?

Is learning a foregin language an insult to your "mother" language?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2013 2:23 PM

Mar 2013
Nope, it pretty normal here to know two or even three or more foreign languages. Dutch is not really a commonly used language, so we're actually forced to.
Aug 11, 2013 2:23 PM
May 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Aug 11, 2013 2:28 PM

Mar 2012
My 'mother tongue' is Italian, but I live in an English speaking country, whenever I'm with my mother or sister I usually speak in Italian, had a few occasions where some ignorant and stupid person made a comment about it.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 11, 2013 2:37 PM

Aug 2012
Captain-Hawkeye said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

I understand what you mean but english is used as an "universal' language.

@xxshiawase I'm forced to use english too, I know some spanish too (not that good with it though) Somehow I'm supposed to deal with my "mother" language in all the countries I plan to visit.

@Nicole My godfather is Italian.... no real relevance but... something in common(sorry my brain is not working properly but the fact's true though)
Aug 11, 2013 2:50 PM

Jul 2013
Nope and haven't personally heard about anyone being it.
Aug 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Feb 2011
Yes, I've been judged for knowing multiple languages quite a bit, always in a positive fashion though.
Aug 11, 2013 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
Not in a negative way, native speakers (usually Spanish and French) are generally impressed that I'm able to speak their language
Aug 11, 2013 3:27 PM
Jun 2013
What...? Judging people because they know a language? Maybe it just doesn't happen here but that sounds like jealousy to me... Reminds me of middle school when you used to get crap for being smart.
Aug 11, 2013 4:01 PM

Nov 2011
Firstly your "friend" is stupid, you should kick his balls for being so dumb.

On Topic: No.
I luv u
Aug 11, 2013 4:03 PM

May 2013
Yes, I've been praised.
Aug 11, 2013 4:06 PM

Mar 2011
Your friends sounds like an idiot with way too much nationalistic pride. I think he's a silly goose.

As a side note: Since I cannot insult people without being banned, from now on when I say "silly goose" I in fact mean "stupid cunt".
Aug 11, 2013 4:09 PM

Dec 2012
It's okay Rufus, I'll do the insulting for you.

Your friend sounds like an idiot with way too much nationalistic pride. I think he's a stupid cunt.
Aug 11, 2013 4:14 PM

Aug 2012
InfiniteRufus said:
Your friends sounds like an idiot with way too much nationalistic pride. I think he's a silly goose.

As a side note: Since I cannot insult people without being banned, from now on when I say "silly goose" I in fact mean "stupid cunt".

Interesting...

Cigarette said:
It's okay Rufus, I'll do the insulting for you.

Your friend sounds like an idiot with way too much nationalistic pride. I think he's a stupid cunt.

You're a good friend Cigarette.

On topic: What do you think that is the cause of this exaggerated nationalistic pride?
Aug 11, 2013 4:15 PM

Jun 2013
Lol no.

I speak Dutch (Not good at it that much) to my father sometimes but here no one cares what language you speak.
Aug 11, 2013 4:17 PM

May 2013
InfiniteRufus said:
Since I cannot insult people without being banned, from now on when I say "silly goose" I in fact mean "stupid cunt".

I believe people can change the setting of their background, so color=white would not be appropriate, rather color=transparent.
Aug 11, 2013 4:17 PM

Dec 2012
Scatto said:

You're a good friend Cigarette.

On topic: What do you think that is the cause of this exaggerated nationalistic pride?
He's a stupid cunt. Cunts, let alone stupid cunts, need not a reason for their stupidity.
Aug 11, 2013 4:31 PM

Mar 2011
Debin said:
InfiniteRufus said:
Since I cannot insult people without being banned, from now on when I say "silly goose" I in fact mean "stupid cunt".

I believe people can change the setting of their background, so color=white would not be appropriate, rather color=transparent.

I would have thought it was redundant once I got quoted though.
Aug 11, 2013 4:33 PM

May 2013
InfiniteRufus said:
Debin said:
InfiniteRufus said:

I would have thought it was redundant once I got quoted though.

Yeah, I guess so. But on your profile, and comments you may have that option :).
Aug 11, 2013 4:46 PM

Jun 2013
In France people isn't retarded, so no.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Aug 11, 2013 5:02 PM

May 2013
Don't mind your friend, that thing is called. Envy.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Aug 11, 2013 5:07 PM
Sykolicious

Jul 2013
Lolwat. This is the weirdest thing I've heard today. Personally I speak english almost as fluently as mo own language, and I've never had any kind of negative comments towards it my whole life. If someone would really insult you for knowing other languages, I'm pretty sure they're just jealous because they can't do it themselves.
Aug 11, 2013 5:42 PM
Aug 2010
Scatto said:
Being judged is no new thing to me buut being judged for knowing a foreign language?

Such as english(and yeah it's not my first language) I keep getting reproaches for knowing it, I mean it's supposed to be the most used language in the world and it's used in computers video games, movies, books, anime and the list goes on, it's absolutely needed in the world today.

A "friend" of mine kept telling me that I'm showing disrespect towards my "mother" language for knowing other language. What do you think about that?

What country do you live in? Taking in account cultural differences, I think it's a very important aspect. Knowing other languages has always been something to be praised for around me, and I currently live in a country that is known for its conservative and somewhat nationalistic linguistics (France). You can't get by in our capital with simply speaking English, whereas businesses in say Amsterdam, will understand you fine.

For instance, the new college courses with units given in English that were developed this year have been a matter of contention among academics and politicians in this country. Why? Because it would 'devalue' the French language. The idea probably sounds stupid to your youngster's ears; well, most of the detractors were elders.

That said, when I think about how hard English tries to emulate French, I understand their pride. ;3
lpfAug 11, 2013 5:52 PM

Aug 11, 2013 5:56 PM

Jun 2012
SHUT UP LPF NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR FRENCHNESS
ENGLISH IS ENGLISH WE ONLY 1/4 EMULATE YOUR LANGUAGE

with that aside, since I lived in America, you get some detractors for not speaking only the mother tongue (english) but most people think its nice that you can speak other languages (cause there are a lot of different kinds of languages spoken where I was)

besides you can switch languages when you don't want people to understand what you mean, and thats convenient enough for me.
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 11, 2013 5:57 PM

Sep 2012
I have never, not once in my life, heard of somebody being looked down upon because they could speak multiple languages. What the fuck.
Aug 11, 2013 6:27 PM

Sep 2012
My mother language is Spanish. I know english and I'm currently learning japanese.
Well, some people believe you are a weeaboo just because you are learning japanese.
And I have seen nationalist nuts that will call you "yankee lover" when you use english in a spanish site.
Aug 11, 2013 6:34 PM

Oct 2012
yes i am judged for only knowing english and not the native language my family knows
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 12, 2013 12:00 AM

Jan 2013
Haha yes I have been. I go to a predominantly white school (98% white). Being the only Asian I get lots of attention, but I do get judged, especially when I speak my native language with my parents.

However, the common response tends to be adulation. It's a cool skill to have, and your friend's foolish for thinking that it's insulting to one's mother language. Think of it being as an asset, as opposed to a negative trait. It also helps you with your grammar :).

Remember:
- Being the "smartest" is nothing special.
- Being wise; however, is always better than being smart because at the end of the day, it depends on how one applies their knowledge, not how much one actually knows.

Aug 12, 2013 12:04 AM

Feb 2013
Xirecta said:
Haha yes I have been. I go to a predominantly white school (98% white). Being the only Asian I get lots of attention, but I do get judged, especially when I speak my native language with my parents.

However, the common response tends to be adulation. It's a cool skill to have, and your friend's foolish for thinking that it's insulting to one's mother language. Think of it being as an asset, as opposed to a negative trait. It also helps you with your grammar :).

Wow, your situation is relatively similar to what mine used to be when I attended high school (just graduated last year). Although I wasn't the only asian, there were probably somewhere around 4-5 in the entire school (including me). Good times. Although sadly I don't speak any other language besides English.
Aug 12, 2013 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
ExistentDesire said:
Xirecta said:

Wow, your situation is relatively similar to what mine used to be when I attended high school (just graduated last year). Although I wasn't the only asian, there were probably somewhere around 4-5 in the entire school (including me). Good times. Although sadly I don't speak any other language besides English.

Yeah, it's not always a good thing though. I'm not sure how it was on your end, but sometimes kids can be relatively cruel especially at young ages.

Remember:
- Being wise; however, is always better than being smart because at the end of the day, it depends on how one applies their knowledge, not how much one actually knows.

Aug 12, 2013 12:13 AM

Jul 2013
Here in 'Murica anything that isn't 'Murican english is frowned upon lmao
Yondy375Aug 12, 2013 12:56 AM
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Aug 12, 2013 12:22 AM

Oct 2012
People judge based on knowing multiple different languages? What?

Although people call me chingchongman because my Chinese is so awful for an Asian, lol.
Aug 12, 2013 12:24 AM

Feb 2013
Xirecta said:
ExistentDesire said:
Xirecta said:

Yeah, it's not always a good thing though. I'm not sure how it was on your end, but sometimes kids can be relatively cruel especially at young ages.

Well, it was actually the same when I was in primary school. I've lived in rural towns that are relatively distant from the big cities, so it was never very multicultural and I was always the odd one out. Although in my case it usually didn't make much difference to how I interacted with people. If anything, it was probably a good thing, since as you mentioned, I ended up getting a lot of attention from it; and hence a lot of people got to know me over a short span of time.

However, I have experienced genuine racism maybe once in a blue moon, but it's usually from complete randoms that I've never seen before. That hasn't happened in a long time though.

I don't take questions such as "can you speak another language?" or "what country are you from?" (to which I respond that I was born here, and didn't come from overseas), or anything like that in an offensive manner; since it's pretty much just general curiosity.

So yeah, it was overall quite a positive experience on my end I believe.
Aug 12, 2013 12:40 AM

Jan 2013
ExistentDesire said:
Xirecta said:
ExistentDesire said:
Xirecta said:

Well, it was actually the same when I was in primary school. I've lived in rural towns that are relatively distant from the big cities, so it was never very multicultural and I was always the odd one out. Although in my case it usually didn't make much difference to how I interacted with people. If anything, it was probably a good thing, since as you mentioned, I ended up getting a lot of attention from it; and hence a lot of people got to know me over a short span of time.

However, I have experienced genuine racism maybe once in a blue moon, but it's usually from complete randoms that I've never seen before. That hasn't happened in a long time though.

I don't take questions such as "can you speak another language?" or "what country are you from?" (to which I respond that I was born here, and didn't come from overseas), or anything like that in an offensive manner; since it's pretty much just general curiosity.

Yeah, about half of the racism that I've received from school, if ever, was a direct result of curiosity and ignorance.

I used to 'hang' around the jocks back in my junior high days because I played sports, but I do recall them genuinely hating me simply because of my ethnicity and physical attributes. i.e black hair and being asian. Things would escalate quickly and would go from "Wow you missed the ball" to "fucking c***k get the f*** out of America"

I don't blame them because it's how they were raised, but it has helped developed my character as an individual, so I am very fortunate. It's alright though because by the time I entered high school, I made some very kind, high-on-the-social ladder friends that helped me. Now, as a senior, I am trying to the same by reaching out to different types of people.

Remember:

Aug 12, 2013 12:43 AM

Mar 2013
I sure have. Only because i made fun of him with it though. xD
Happy Halloween
Aug 12, 2013 12:59 AM

Feb 2013
Xirecta said:
ExistentDesire said:
Xirecta said:
ExistentDesire said:
Xirecta said:

Yeah, about half of the racism that I've received from school, if ever, was a direct result of curiosity and ignorance.

I used to 'hang' around the jocks back in my junior high days because I played sports, but I do recall them genuinely hating me simply because of my ethnicity and physical attributes. i.e black hair and being asian. Things would escalate quickly and would go from "Wow you missed the ball" to "fucking c***k get the f*** out of America"

I don't blame them because it's how they were raised, but it has helped developed my character as an individual, so I am very fortunate. It's alright though because by the time I entered high school, I made some very kind, high-on-the-social ladder friends that helped me. Now, as a senior, I am trying to the same by reaching out to different types of people.

Wow that one line sounds incredibly harsh. But I'm glad that you took it in a positive manner; that it helped develop your character as an individual.

That's a good resolve to have, to give back to society. It kind of complements your signature.
Aug 12, 2013 1:16 AM

Jun 2013
Red_Keys said:
I have never, not once in my life, heard of somebody being looked down upon because they could speak multiple languages. What the fuck.

agree

Aug 12, 2013 1:19 AM

Jul 2013
krispelK said:
Red_Keys said:

agree

Maybe the thread should've been if "You Look Like You Speak A Different Language"
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Aug 12, 2013 1:23 AM

Aug 2013
I think it's less about the fact someone knows another language, and more about how often they speak it. I know people that consider speaking a foreign language (usually Chinese) in public rude, or just annoying to them.
Aug 12, 2013 1:24 AM

Aug 2009
I'm actually a little racist towards people who don't speak English.

And that's the American way motherfuckers.

Aug 12, 2013 1:25 AM

Jul 2013
'MURICA
Aug 12, 2013 1:28 AM

May 2013
Your friend must be a member of a primitive tribe that lives in the cave. Usually a primitive doesn't accept anything that's not their ancestor told.
Aug 12, 2013 2:03 AM

Apr 2013
It is good to be very linguistic. You can actually put that in a resume. If you are getting barraged by those types of insults, then insult them back but using the foreign language you know... xD

Aug 12, 2013 2:13 AM

Jun 2013
In Russia, most children will be motivated by their parents to learn English and/or German.

However, speaking three languages fluently is not really something to be proud of. Speaking any number of languages is not something to be proud of.
Aug 12, 2013 2:16 AM

Apr 2013
Jyupita said:

However, speaking three languages fluently is not really something to be proud of. Speaking any number of languages is not something to be proud of.
Why not? If I could use three or more languages, I'd feel awesome. And try saying that to all the linguists in the world...

Aug 12, 2013 2:20 AM

Jun 2013
I have never been judged for knowing more that 1 language.And also isn't that a good thing for knowing foreign language?
Aug 12, 2013 2:23 AM

Jun 2013
Hiryu12 said:
Jyupita said:

Why not? If I could use three or more languages, I'd feel awesome. And try saying that to all the linguists in the world...

Many people you interact with in different countries will usually expect you to know their language, or else they'll think of you as inferior.

And I really dislike that attitude.
Aug 12, 2013 2:33 AM

Apr 2013
Jyupita said:
Hiryu12 said:
Jyupita said:

Many people you interact with in different countries will usually expect you to know their language, or else they'll think of you as inferior.

And I really dislike that attitude.
I think you have a good but small point; but still a bigger picture would be tourists...
I mean if I go to a Middle Eastern country (I can speak Filipino and English fluently) do they really expect me to learn their language for my short stay in their country? And I do agree that this kind of mentality is appalling but I don't think a lot of people do that... 0.o

Aug 12, 2013 2:43 AM

Apr 2011
Scatto said:

Your friend's an idiot or retarded, very likely both.
Aug 12, 2013 2:48 AM

Jan 2011
Huh? So weird.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

11 by Nayborie »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

57 by Ejrodiew »»
54 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 8 hours ago

6 by Dumb »»
57 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

9 by fae »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.