Forum Settings
Forums

Best book you have ever read, and a small part of it!

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 11, 2013 3:53 AM

Dec 2012
The Time Traveler's Wife? Anyone?

Oh, I see thread is kind of derailed since first page. Some kind of bug where you hit 'last page' and puts you on the first :S
Aug 11, 2013 3:53 AM

Apr 2013
I am actually waiting for the final installment of The Fallen series by Thomas E. Sniegoski. (The Fallen 5: Armageddon)

I liked it because it's so hard to find a male teen lead who is at a mature stage already in his life. The concepts discussed about religion, angels, heaven, hell, the devil are also quite intriguing for a fiction novel.

Aug 11, 2013 3:56 AM
Jan 2013
Hiryu12 said:
The concepts discussed about religion, angels, heaven, hell, the devil are also quite intriguing for a fiction novel.

I've found that fiction really frees the author to lay down their philosophy in an intelligible way.
Aug 11, 2013 4:08 AM

Apr 2013
tuiddlestix said:
Hiryu12 said:
The concepts discussed about religion, angels, heaven, hell, the devil are also quite intriguing for a fiction novel.

I've found that fiction really frees the author to lay down their philosophy in an intelligible way.
I know. The way he has related these concepts to his stories is just amazing. It makes me even think or doubt what I know about the Roman Catholic religion...

Aug 11, 2013 4:36 AM

Feb 2013
The Doom novels.

Why?

.........It's fucking Doom. What other reason do you need?
Aug 11, 2013 5:14 AM

Aug 2012
HorrorLand said:
The Time Traveler's Wife? Anyone?

Oh, I see thread is kind of derailed since first page. Some kind of bug where you hit 'last page' and puts you on the first :S

Very weird bug, indeed. But you just need to post something, and the thread will go back to normal.
TachiiAug 12, 2013 9:04 AM
Aug 11, 2013 6:13 AM
May 2012
I read Mein Kampf last winter.
A little slow, and a little boring. I'm not into politics, since it bores me. But the man did have some good ideas on how things should be run. Such as education.
It took me 3 tries to get through it, I would stop reading at about 100 pages in. That's how boring it was for me.

Another favourite of mine is a book called Voices of Stalingrad. Many first hand accounts of the battle for Stalingrad. I've read it a couple times, it's really interesting, gives a good look at the battle.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Aug 11, 2013 6:24 AM

Jul 2011
Mortal Instruments - Why? - It has good action, it's intense and funny. It has vampires, werewolves, warlocks..diversity all around.

Bad girls don't die - For a horror story it was pretty good, the mc guy is hot. I did not find the plot overused or boring at all.
Aug 11, 2013 6:44 AM

Dec 2012
coloring books are the best books
Aug 12, 2013 12:48 AM

May 2013
Cigarette said:
coloring books are the best books

omg ya i love them they r my fav
Aug 17, 2013 12:14 AM

Apr 2008
Mine would be Dune series by Frank Herbert.
It is one of the most greatest sci-fi novel ever.
The explanations are very detail, kinda like LoTR a bit.
It deals a lot with humanity, religion, politics, economics, science and family values.
It has a total of 6 books and I've just finished the third one.
Can't wait to get my hand on the 4th one.

p/s: I got to know about Dune through video games Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune :)
Aug 17, 2013 12:16 AM
Jan 2013
Cruelsader said:
Mine would be Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Definitely a great series.
Aug 17, 2013 12:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
My favorites would probably be the Locke Lamora books. They're a fantasy themed series where the main characters are essentially part of a religious cult, and they spend their days betraying, tricking and cheating rich people for money so that they can use it as offerings to their deity. The acts of trickery themselves are so clever that you'll never see them coming, and the chars are great.

Only problem is that after the first two books in the series came out in 2006 & 2007, the third book will come out now in October, some 6 years later because the author has been in bad health. I hope he'll get better as there is 7 books in total planned.
Aug 17, 2013 12:29 AM

Jun 2009
@HaXXspetten, I didn't know that. I have the first book. I just have not gotten around to reading it yet.

My favorite series is The Dresden Files. The characters are just so interesting and I love watching them grow with time. Now that I am fourteen books into it though, I feel invested in the story.

Although all supernatural mystery books are fantastic. Books like Tales from the Darkside, Iron Druid, Alex ...um...I've forgotten, and the like are fantastic.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 17, 2013 5:25 AM

Apr 2013
I'm not sure I can pick a favorite. Years ago I held Rule of the Bone in high regard but my tastes have changed since, recently one that I suppose sticks out is The Broker, which to be honest I only liked for it's portrayal of Italy, everything else just gave it flavor. I don't have either anymore and it's been a long time since I read them so it would be difficult to pull up a quote.

I've been working my way through "a song of fire and ice", (I'm not that at all impressed with Martins writing but the appeal seems to center around his intricate use of world building) I'm currently quarter way through a feast for crows but took a break from it recently as I never thought to bring it with me. I picked up a copy of A spot of Bother and The Other Hand from the airport and have been reading through the former while stuck in Manchester.

It puts you into the mind of a hypochondriac and those around him, while filling you with a comforting sense of schadenfreude, it really pulls off tragedy in a warmhearted and humorous way.

"How often did he feel it now, this gorgeous, furtive seclusion? In the bath sometimes, maybe. Though Jean failed to understand his need for periodic isolation and regularly dragged him back to earth mid-soak by hammering on the locked door in search of bleach or dental floss."
-Athena-Aug 17, 2013 5:44 AM
Aug 17, 2013 5:39 AM

Apr 2011
My favorite books:

Lemmy's "White Line Fever", can never get enough of it, have reread it several times.
Blade Runner - fucking amazing, everyone should read this.
Nick Perumov's book series "Keeper of The Swords" (Currently reading Birth of The Mage).
The second Hunger Games book, for ambiguous reasons.
Aug 17, 2013 6:30 AM
Mar 2013
My favourite book is Watership Down. I read it as a kid and it gives me nostalgia
Aug 17, 2013 6:33 AM

Mar 2013
Hatchet.
I read it up to half way but couldnt finish it.
Happy Halloween
Aug 19, 2013 3:47 PM

Jan 2008
Norwegian wood by Murakami Haruki is the best read I ever had so far. He is really good at storytelling and his style is flawless. I was told that Norwegian Wood was completely different from Murakami's other works and that it is more realistic so I was not really interested in it as I was hooked on the "magical realist" style he displayed in Kafka on the shore or A wild sheep chase. But when I heard that Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood is making the soundtrack for the film adaptation of Norwegian wood I immediately put it on my To-Read-List.

Favorite parts are Nagasawa's opinion on books:

and the conversation between Toru and Midori:
Aug 19, 2013 5:58 PM

Jan 2013
The Harry Potter Series: I loved it so much. It was amazing, funny, loved the romance, mystery, fantasy and no book can beat it :3 I can re-read it so many times and it will never get boring

Percy Jackson Series- Loved this as well. I love Greek Mythology and this was a perfect series for it. Nico <3

Hero's of Olympus Series- 2nd part to the Percy Jackson series. My 2nd favorite series. It's so funny and I loved the quests they have. It's amazzingg and I can't wait for House of Hades to come out <333
Aug 19, 2013 6:49 PM

May 2013
I quite enjoyed "The prague cemetery" by Umperto Eco. It was just... interesting to a point that I read all of it in a single sitting. A very and I mean very close contender is "Shogun" by James Clavell, the only reason it isn't my favorite being its' length. I dislike books THAT huge since they are nearly impossible to read in one sitting.
Aug 19, 2013 7:25 PM

Jul 2013
There's a book that I read like three times and I'd read it again. It's called "Dom Casmurro", by Machado de Assis. It's a book with an aparently simple plot, but it's so well written and has so much thought on the psychological side that it inspired dozens of scholar thesis and other papers. Simply put: one guy has a childhood female friend who became his wife. He has a best friend and he suspects that his wife cheated on him with this friend. The problem is that the book is written with the husband perspective, so you can never tell if what he's telling is true or not. You can never be sure if she cheated on him or not, and will never know.
Aug 19, 2013 8:46 PM

Jun 2013
Oh, man, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an awesome choice! The only other books that had me laughing as much as that one did were Catch-22 and Don Quixote.

Here's a quote from Catch-22:

As for Don Quixote, I don't have a copy of that on hand and I'm not going to sift through google to find something, but I strongly recommend Edith Grossman's translation if anyone decides to look into it (because it's awesome).

Still, I'm of the opinion that this is one of the most difficult questions to answer because there are so many great books out there that I just can't come close to picking a favorite. (ha ha)
Aug 23, 2013 12:29 PM

Feb 2013
My favorite author is Haruki Murakami. I've read almost all of his works and my current favorite is Kafka on the Shore. I could quote a lot from it, but one of the best moments is when one of the characters is with a prostitute and of course in the Murakami universe she's super articulate. She says this while they're having sex:

It's such a ridiculous, poignant, and overall strangely funny scene.

Another one of my favorites that I read recently is The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. It's wonderfully poetic and is under the genre creative non-fiction, which is pretty interesting imo. I wish I had it with me now, it's marked all throughout, but here's one quote.

Aug 27, 2013 6:14 PM

Jan 2009
Picking favorites is always a challenge. I've always had a really special place in my heart for the Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas as it was one of the first "serious" books I've read.

That being said my favorite all time series is probably The Inheritance Cycle. It might not be the best fantasy series out there but there is something about Paolini's writing style that I just find so enthralling. I read all four of his books in under three days.
Aug 28, 2013 6:58 PM

Jan 2008
chrysalibun said:
My favorite author is Haruki Murakami. I've read almost all of his works and my current favorite is Kafka on the Shore. I could quote a lot from it, but one of the best moments is when one of the characters is with a prostitute and of course in the Murakami universe she's super articulate. She says this while they're having sex:

That was a really hilarious moment. The girl starts quoting Hegel while giving a BJ. I almost forgot most of the plot and the characters but I will never forget that scene.
Aug 28, 2013 8:06 PM

Feb 2013
ntHai said:
chrysalibun said:

That was a really hilarious moment. The girl starts quoting Hegel while giving a BJ. I almost forgot most of the plot and the characters but I will never forget that scene.

I think KotS has the funniest Murakami moments I've ever encountered. I mean,
Aug 29, 2013 6:56 AM

Apr 2008
Ulysses - Joyce :

O that awful deepdown torrent O and the sea the sea crimson sometimes like fire and the glorious sunsets and the figtrees in the Alameda gardens yes and all the queer little streets and the pink and blue and yellow houses and the rosegardens and the jessamine and geraniums and cactuses and Gibraltar as a girl where I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.
Head Over Heels
Aug 29, 2013 8:53 AM

May 2012
A confederacy of dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Too bad he committed suicide shortly after publishing it.

"The Great Chain of Being had snapped like so many paper clips strung together by some drooling idiot; death, destruction, anarchy, progress, ambition, and self-improvement were to be Piers’ new fate. And a vicious fate it was to be: now he was faced with the perversion of having to GO TO WORK."
Aug 29, 2013 9:29 AM

Sep 2011
The Satanic Bible. Here and say nothing, you just have to read.
Aug 29, 2013 10:12 AM

Nov 2011
I wont they're my absolute favorites (I hate picking favorites) but having read Henry Sienkievich famous "Trilogy" about the wars of 1600s Eastern Europe and immensely enjoying them, I decided to pick this small quote describing a battle or more precisely a Hussar charge D:

"We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers. We saw it…. Jezus Maria! The elite's lances bent forward like stalks of rye, driven by a great storm, bent on glory! The fire of the guns before them glitters! They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard. They sliced without effort through the whole army already! Next target: the regiment of horse guards, where stands the Swede King Carol. And the guard already wavers!"

~The Deluge
The Art of Eight
Aug 31, 2013 8:22 AM

Oct 2011
I won't say best book I ever read but it's my favorite. I like reading but I easily get bored when I do. I also tend to be picky when choosing books that I read I would say Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is so far my favorite. He tends to follow a specific formula when he writes but I still like his books.

"“Faith is universal. Our specific methods for understanding it are arbitrary. Some of us pray to Jesus, some of us go to Mecca, some of us study subatomic particles. In the end we are all just searching for truth, that which is greater than ourselves.”

Second to that is World War Z by Max Brooks. Forget the awful movie, the book is really awesome and discuss a lot of topics like morals, religion, politics, and psychology.

“Lies are neither bad nor good. Like a fire they can either keep you warm or burn you to death, depending on how they're used.”

“Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has. That's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature.”

"The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." Fuckin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells."
BlueKiteAug 31, 2013 8:44 AM
Aug 31, 2013 10:44 AM

May 2013
All Quiet on the Western Front, amazing book
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7571 by tsukareru »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
8 hours ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - Apr 18

2 by batslimeman »»
Yesterday, 2:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.