Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2009 9:00 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
My predictions for this episode after seeing the title:
- Kenshiro kills Kaioh (who, before dying, finally accepts that he is wrong about love. He cries a river and begs forgiveness for all his wrongdoings.)
- Lynn/Rin opens her eyes and sees Bart
- Bart is actually the son of Kenshiro and Julia/Yuria
- The fucking pet dog from the first series miraculously appears and brings all seven Dragon Balls, everybody is resurrected and either
a) The whole crap starts again, or
b) Everybody sings the Dango Daikazoku song and lives happily everafter.

---

It's over.

Well, poo. No begging from Kaioh, Bart is still some little orphan bastard, and neither Dragon Balls nor dango. But Kaioh cried! I knew it.
How stupid of me to expect an ending. Of course there are new fights that await Kenshiro.

Anyway, it's over. I don't really know why, but I liked HnK 1 better - maybe it was the ridiculous villains or maybe it was the fact that it was exactly the same thing as HnK 1, just a little shorter. And with ridiculous villains.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Jul 22, 2009 11:15 PM
Jan 2008
I liked HnK1 better, the Shura setting didn't really do much for me at all. I almost miss Kenshiro beating the living crap out of fodder enemies.
Jan 25, 2010 5:24 AM

Aug 2009
Okay, that was... ridiculously anticlimatic.

Also, I love how they don't give a flying fuck about Lynn's feelings. The poor thing spends two freaking series adoring Ken and in the end she gets paired up with the sidekick. That's what she gets for being a woman in an anime from the 80's, I guess.

And, of course, Hokuto no Ken 1 is much better than this sequel. I'm not exactly sure why, but the whole "Shura arc" was painfully boring.
ThreepwoodJan 25, 2010 6:41 AM
"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

-- Rincewind gives a speech on politics. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
Mar 31, 2010 9:34 AM

Jul 2009
Overall, it was a fair bit worse than season one mostly because of the rubbish enemies, endless retcon and re-hashing of elements from HnK1. Although the awesome way Kaioh and Hyo died went some way to making the ending decent. I'll give it 7.5/10
Nov 18, 2010 1:41 AM

Apr 2009
Wow Kaioh... thats one badass grave you got yourself there...

All in all this series was weak though and way worse than the first HnK... but I still liked the vibe on this final episode... well except Lynn and that memory thingie... that was such a pathetic way out I just couldn't stomach it no matter how I tried... and due to me liking HnK so much I really tried...
Nov 18, 2010 8:58 AM

Jun 2010
After watching the final episode I have forgiven everything I did not like about Part 2.

YOU WA SHOCK!
Aug 2, 2011 7:28 AM

Jan 2009
I just realized that Sayaka, or whatever her name is, is also the sister of Raoh and Toki as well. Where the hell was she in all those damn flashbacks. This second series I feel was written by a 10 year old.
Dec 7, 2012 4:16 PM

Jun 2010
Wow, that was awful.

The first series made up things at it went along, sometimes contradicting earlier stuff and sometimes not properly finishing things up, but that seems to be all this second series does, constantly throwing new things out only to discard them almost immediately. It's impossible to care about anything after a little while.

It really makes me appreciate the degree of success that the first series achieved. It was silly and unplanned and melodramatic but a lot of the sentiment and tension works. Every attempt at the same in the second series falls flat.
Apr 13, 2013 1:00 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't like HnK 2 as much as HnK 1.

In HnK 2, the fights are done by hand lasers like in Dragon Ball Z/GT. This alone is an enough reason to make the season boring.

However, this last episode was so emotional and epic that it made me forget all the boring episodes in this season.

Episode: 10/10
Season: 9/10
AhmedHanSep 3, 2019 9:42 AM
May 17, 2013 5:02 PM

Mar 2013
Hnk 1 was a lot better, the characters in this season look like they are carbon copies of another characters on season one. Especially Kaioh - Souther. Still, It was pretty badass the way kaoh died, but raoh's death was a lot more epic. I give a 8/10 for the series, and a 10/10 for this episode.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Sep 2, 2014 8:09 AM

Mar 2013
Zewerr said:
I just realized that Sayaka, or whatever her name is, is also the sister of Raoh and Toki as well. Where the hell was she in all those damn flashbacks. This second series I feel was written by a 10 year old.

Lol I hadn't even thought of that (thinking about the "backstory" would just infuriate me as it's so atrocious), that makes it even more pathetic than i thought.

This episode was quite strong I must admit, and the death scene was quite epic.

That being said S2 was a colossal failure relative to HnK1.
Feb 25, 2015 6:11 AM

Oct 2008
Yeah no this second season was just modest at best and bad at worst,the series should have really ended after the first season and it would have been really great.
Literally turning Lynn into the second Yuria,recycling Raoh oh I'm sorry Kaioh and doing the exact same thing again,same with Shachi who was supposed to be Rei no 2,characters nowhere near as memorable compared to the first season and those who were (Ein and Falco) were very quickly disposed off,very bad pacing that really dragged on for just a 43 episodes season....
Only the numerous death scenes were memorable throughout the season,although it got to a point where they really abused this.
Aug 10, 2015 12:36 PM

Aug 2012
This was a desperately needed great final episode. The second season is very flawed with lots of ideas thrown into the plot without really much focus. Also the fight scenes evolving into something more akin to DBZ was disappointing.

I was very pleased with how the lin situation finished up though, I was fist pumping when Bat returned as I had been quietly fuming about his absence for so long.

So yeah a Great end to a not so great season. 7/10 but only barely
Dec 9, 2015 3:51 PM

Jul 2010
Don't think it was as bad as everyone else said it was here, I mean I never even cared about the writing in the first place because the first seasons writing was horrible too. HnK was only about manly men fighting for me and this delivered on that front. Not saying it's great by any means but then again I never thought so in the first place.

6/10.
Aug 19, 2016 4:13 PM

Jun 2016
I didn't really care for this series compared to the first series, but Kenshiro riding off on horseback to the sunrise was a pretty cool way to end it... B)
Jan 6, 2017 12:19 PM
Dec 2014
I'm happy that Lin will marry bard instead of Ken
Feb 28, 2018 8:14 PM

Nov 2016
Tenth said:
Don't think it was as bad as everyone else said it was here, I mean I never even cared about the writing in the first place because the first seasons writing was horrible too. HnK was only about manly men fighting for me and this delivered on that front. Not saying it's great by any means but then again I never thought so in the first place.

6/10.

Pretty much this. Tho season one had more redeeming qualities,it was still a very entertaining watch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 3, 2018 2:48 PM

Sep 2015
I give it an 8 for the soundtrack and the characters. This season had better fighters. Falco, Han, The Harn Bros, Hyoh and Kaioh. Cant beat that. Raoh was the only cool fighter from the first season, the rest were just stepping stones for Ken.
Jul 2, 2019 12:53 AM
Jun 2019
The way Kaioh died, perfection.
Very emotional last episode, with the bad guys in the background and all, nostalgia. Bat can be happy now hahaha. Hokuto no Ken 4ever!
Aug 28, 2019 11:34 PM

Feb 2017
Honestly, my favourite part of this whole show was the insane line deliveries by the narrator when giving the preview for the next episode. He totally wails out the "Hokuto no Ken TSUUU" and the episode titles. What a consistent performance by him!
Oct 18, 2019 5:43 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It wasn't bad, it was just much less good than the first season, everything was very predictable and the characters were meh compared to those from the S1.
There was actually very good episodes tho.
I will miss Kenshiro so much, best character with Toki.
6/10
Dec 25, 2019 4:15 PM

Jul 2015
So this is the end of the second series, our hero continues to fight evil

I must say the first part of this second series was pretty okay, we got to know what happened to the cast after Raoh was defeated some new enemies

But the second part went downhill in my opinion because of the butchered and inconsistent storylines, the kind of boring characters who all ended up dying and a lot of repetetive stuff like almost each time revealing someone is a brother.

In my honest opinion, I feel like this second series wasn't needed since the first series already ended nicely and it didn't really add any good value to the storylines.

Apr 8, 2020 2:44 AM

Jan 2011
Not as good as the first season, but it had its moments. I know this didn't fully adapt the manga, but it feels like an appropriate ending and it's how I always envisioned it, Kenshiro forever wandering the Century's End. In fact, I have little doubt that's how it ends in the manga too. I'll read it one day.
May 27, 2020 2:17 PM

Sep 2018
one of the ebst final episodes I've ever seen ngl, I loved how they went through almost every past opening and ending as much as I didn't like the op for hokuto 2
Sep 19, 2021 11:12 AM

Sep 2016
Well, what can I say? This series showed so much potential during the first 13 episodes. I was really enjoying every second of it, but this whole Shura Arc was the most boring thing this show has ever done, and yeah, I'm counting the HnK1, as well. I couldn't care about anything past 30 episodes and there were times that, I kid you not, I fell asleep.

Maybe my expectations were too high, since I didn't like HnK1 as much as other people did, and I was hoping that, since HnK2 was only 43 episodes, it'd be something more concise and enjoyable, without having to drag the plot and have a recap every 8 episodes.

Women characters were bad in both (Mamiya was honestly the only strong one, and even she felt into the "weak women doing stupid things for the sake of the plot" at times), but I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from something made in Japan during the 80s.

All in all, I vasltly enjoyed HnK1 better. It's not a GOOD anime by any means, but it's fun and enjoyable if you ignore it when they pull stuff out of their asses during writing. I do recommend it for the shonen lovers out there.
Nov 27, 2021 2:42 AM
Jan 2019
OgaZoSo said:

Women characters were bad in both (Mamiya was honestly the only strong one, and even she felt into the "weak women doing stupid things for the sake of the plot" at times), but I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from something made in Japan during the 80s.

80's had Dirty Pair, Gall Force, Bubblegum Crisis. WTH are you talking about?
Heck, 70s had Rose of Versailles.

...I guess it's because Hokuto is a Shounen. And 80's Shounen... were really Power Fantasy Anime in 80's.
Some Shounen Manga did not feature any women at all. Like Otokojuku. It does have a few girls, but it's mostly about men who look like they have spent 20 years in prison even though they're 18 years old.
Nov 27, 2021 1:18 PM

Sep 2016
Keytee1 said:
OgaZoSo said:

80's had Dirty Pair, Gall Force, Bubblegum Crisis. WTH are you talking about?
Heck, 70s had Rose of Versailles.
...I guess it's because Hokuto is a Shounen. And 80's Shounen... were really Power Fantasy Anime in 80's.
Some Shounen Manga did not feature any women at all. Like Otokojuku. It does have a few girls, but it's mostly about men who look like they have spent 20 years in prison even though they're 18 years old.

I haven't watched many, if any, 80s anime, much less shonen. I kind of just imagined that "hey, the 80s were pretty sexist everywhere, and I know for a fact that Japan was a big culprit, so I imagine this is maaaaybe a product of its time?", but I'll look into the ones you mentioned, thanks!
Dec 30, 2022 7:45 PM
Jul 2019
Great ending for Kenshiro after surviving countless battles he stayed true to himself all the way to the end
Apr 10, 2023 3:42 AM

Aug 2020
For me at least, this season feels like it was tacked on to the end of an already complete series. Why not just end the thing after Kenshiro defeated Raoh and rode off into the distance with Yuria? Was there pressure from Jump to keep the series publishing each week because it was so popular or something?

It was much more enjoyable when they had the whole Mad Max thing going on and Kenshiro was fighting alongside warriors of Nanto Seiken.

That being said, I still want to read the manga someday.

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Jan 9, 6:49 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
@eski514 absolute god-tier voice acting from him, I agree!

I enjoyed this final episode and it's a great send off to the series. I especially loved the montage and shout outs to all the characters that have come and gone throughout the series! Much of what has been written in this thread is totally valid. At the end of the day, I'm fiending for more and will be watching the movies and OVAs. Although short, Kenshiro's journey to the Land of Asura was enjoyable; I always love a ship sailing on the high seas. Also, last but not least, Kenshiro finally became Arnold Schwarzenegger fully realized!

KIMI WA TOUGH BOY!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken 2 Episode 20 Discussion

Alas86 - Oct 22, 2010

11 by Cayusashi »»
Nov 8, 2023 5:25 PM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken 2 Episode 29 Discussion

UnculturedWhitey - Oct 11, 2012

6 by Eziprez »»
Apr 7, 2023 5:43 AM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken 2 Episode 24 Discussion

ballistique - Jan 25, 2009

11 by Eziprez »»
Apr 6, 2023 10:02 PM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken 2 Episode 40 Discussion

ChungaAvenged - Aug 19, 2016

5 by OweynLupton »»
Feb 20, 2023 6:24 AM

Poll: » Hokuto no Ken 2 Episode 17 Discussion

UnculturedWhitey - Oct 9, 2012

4 by WitchFromMercury »»
May 17, 2022 6:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.