Forums
New
Which do you prefer more?
Being quiet.
74.4%
Being talkative.
25.6%
270 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 25, 2009 7:41 PM

Dec 2008

I guess I'm talkative
but I prefer being around people who are quiet
'cuz then it balances out. =]
having a conversation with another talkative person is kinda pointless IMO
we always end up interrupting each other lol

and quiet people are more interesting
because they don't put themselves out there
so you actually have to take the time to get to know them ^-^
Jan 25, 2009 8:57 PM

Jul 2008
Faiel said:
Frito said:
Vagabond said:
Gaining respect through words is rather pointless. Real respect is gained through your actions.
this.
If I hadn't read Vagabonds earlier post, I would interpret this as frivolous words are hollow so usually being quiet is smart.

However, I guess it could be interpreted alternatively as carefully considered words are pretentious, but frivolous chatter performs the worthwhile function of making people feel comfortable. Please could someone confirm the validity of the assumption that this is in fact what Vagabond and Frito intended to imply?
Still no response..
Jan 25, 2009 9:27 PM

Apr 2008
I usually think that I dont have anything worthwhile to add to a conversation.
Jan 25, 2009 10:13 PM
Sep 2008
Faiel said:
Faiel said:
Frito said:
Vagabond said:
Gaining respect through words is rather pointless. Real respect is gained through your actions.
this.
If I hadn't read Vagabonds earlier post, I would interpret this as frivolous words are hollow so usually being quiet is smart.

However, I guess it could be interpreted alternatively as carefully considered words are pretentious, but frivolous chatter performs the worthwhile function of making people feel comfortable. Please could someone confirm the validity of the assumption that this is in fact what Vagabond and Frito intended to imply?
Still no response..

So insistent!

What about just chatter may be frivolous, but carefully considered words are pretentious? After all, it's effective enough to negate the opponent's argument rather than defend your own position. It's hard to tell, but it's better to assume the least possible.
Jan 25, 2009 10:36 PM

Aug 2007
i'm very shy in public. :x thanks to that, i've been the "quiet one" ever since. Dx
Jan 25, 2009 10:50 PM

May 2008
I don't like stating the obvious or saying things that don't need to be said.

but at the same time I can't stand any extended silence.

I'm quiet as long as someone else is talking basically.
Jan 25, 2009 10:56 PM

Apr 2007
I'm quiet, but only because everyone around me are retards. Sometimes I play along with them in their vile attempts to talk to me for the lulz- I am quite a good actor so they never suspect a thing.

Example of the standardized chatter at my school:

And pretty much everyone is like this, the rest being the standard gay in-denial nerds.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2009 12:27 AM
Jan 2009
I am quiet.
Usually people talk over me or share the same idea I was about to share before me.
There's a lot of intimidation too.
Some guys can be so outspoken, it's overwhelming.
Also, I realize I don't put too much thought into what I say at times and I would like to avoid having my words criticized heavily.
Last, someone once told me to never talk about anything I don't know thoroughly.
I guess I let that get to me and all of a sudden I notice that everyone likes to touch subjects I'm shaky on. Grrreat.

There are few people who make it so easy for me to speak.
Because they are respectful, easy going, and not so judgmental.
Jan 26, 2009 12:55 AM

Dec 2007
Siing said:
"You going on wow tonight"
(someone overhears)|
"HAHAHA WOWFAGS YOU STILL PLAYIN THAT SHIT"
"SHUT UP CURRY"
"BUAHAHA"
"YOU WANNA FIGHT?"
(then consume themselves on a game of grab the other dudes balls)

Serves them right, actually. The WoW players deserve a beating for playing that game, and the capswhores deserve a beating as well for giving a shit about it.

Also, from the sound of it, you have very immature people at your school.
Jan 26, 2009 1:26 AM

Dec 2007
Well, lemme see... Nobody wants to listen what I have to say. However, they do listen, because I say it anyway. Respect is not attained by the number of words per second, that's true. But it's also not attained by shutting and listening only. The quality of your words is what makes quality conversation.

Which means that a quality conversation with my friends is as retarded as the square root of Lucky Star, ranging from banana flavoured condoms to national classic literature. While a conversation with anybody else ranges from the weather to the conditions of national education. Easy and clean.

I grew from emo antissocial to social butterfree, therefore anyone can do it. And should do it: talking by myself to a senseless listener is boring.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 26, 2009 1:49 AM

Aug 2008
Like ladyxzeus said, it's the quality of your words and not the amount of them. I don't like chit-chat and avoid it. But if somebody has something useful to say that isn't annoying, or it's important and they need advice/assistance I listen and choose my words carefully. I prefer to listen to people over speaking honestly. I'm the guy people talk to when they've got big problems and need to vent. Someone's gotta do it.

This is entirely different from greetings/departures though, I always throw those out there. Sticking around to bullshit though.. I don't think so, unless it's about something interesting, which is impossible in my town :).
Jan 26, 2009 2:38 AM

Sep 2007
Well I'm quiet at school. One reason for that being that all the clcks have already been made during youth school and the two earlier years in high school, plus the fact that none of my friends are in my class and most of them aren't even in the same building. And we change classes from subject to subject. Plus, about half the girls in my class are "barbie dolls" (if anyone get what I'm saying) that have way too much make up on and coloured hair that looks white. The only thing they talk about is partying, getting drunk and gossip.
When I'm at home and with my friends I talk very much sometimes. I'd rather keep my real friends than trying to fit in with the barbie dolls in my class. (hey, we have computers with free access to the internet so I'm satisfied. Plus I only have half a year left in school before going to college)
Jan 26, 2009 2:48 AM

Oct 2007
kaitokun46 said:
if you're a quiet person, i'm requesting you to state the reason of your silence. you may also comment people. i would really appreciate your answers.

I guess I'm the quiet type.. usually just not very good at talking about random things usually run out of idea's of what to talk about :P

But it really depends on the person also depends on the subject if it's on a subject I know a lot off I can't talk for hours to as many people you want (I gave presentations to over 5000 people and that went off without a hitch)

And I prefer being with talk active people talking becomes a lot easier if someone comes up with a subjects to talk about :P
Jan 26, 2009 4:44 AM

Jun 2008
when.it.comes.to.big.groups.then.yeah.i.am.quite.quiet..i.am.just.one.of.those.who.listen.and.laugh.when.
necessary..but.when.it.comes.to.a.smaller.group.of.close.friends.the.total.opposite.occurs..
(sorry.broken.keyboard)
Jan 26, 2009 4:54 AM
Jan 2009
legiondairy, we're both scared of people around. especially the most influential classmates. just like that or it's just my preference.

VAGABOND, i love that! i agree on the acquisition of respect through actions.:)
cherish your life --the JIGSAW KILLER. :))
Jan 26, 2009 4:57 AM
Jan 2009
do you people believe in changing your own personality caused by yourself? (like being quiet because you preferred so? i think that's one reason, PEOPLE WANTED TO BE QUIET BECAUSE THEY JUST WANT IT AND ENJOYS IT.
Jan 26, 2009 4:58 AM

Aug 2008
kaitokun46 said:
legiondairy, we're both scared of people around. especially the most influential classmates.

Except nowadays i have no classmates to fear :D
Jan 26, 2009 5:06 AM

Jun 2008
Although I am more in between quiet and talkative, I picked quiet.
Jan 26, 2009 5:14 AM
Jan 2009
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:
legiondairy, we're both scared of people around. especially the most influential classmates.

fellow employees?

Jan 26, 2009 5:15 AM
Jan 2009
Mehsi said:
Although I am more in between quiet and talkative, I picked quiet.

it's always better to have both personalities, being an AMBIVERT. but i prefer ambiversion with greater introversion.
Jan 26, 2009 5:17 AM

Aug 2008
kaitokun46 said:
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:

fellow employees?

Unemployed >_>
Jan 26, 2009 5:19 AM

Apr 2008
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:

fellow employees?

Unemployed >_>

holidays! :P tho mine are coming to an end also ='[

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Jan 26, 2009 5:23 AM
Jan 2009
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:

fellow employees?

Unemployed >_>

DUDE. want manga stuffs, right? why don't you try to be with shonen jump. even if you're an accountant, you could still apply in vizmedia's accounting department or even in australia.
Jan 26, 2009 5:23 AM

Aug 2008
ERROR_404 said:
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:

fellow employees?

Unemployed >_>

holidays! :P tho mine are coming to an end also ='[

Not a student either :D
Jan 26, 2009 5:30 AM
Jan 2009
so yeah, it's really a holiday for you legiondairy. so how do you deal with first meetings, something like that?
Jan 26, 2009 5:31 AM

Jun 2008
It really depend on the mood...
Jan 26, 2009 5:35 AM
Jan 2009
Dust2Dust said:
I used to be quiet when I was younger cuz I had some issues with my father. Now I'm still more quiet than lots of people but that's because usually I prefer listening than talking actually. With close friends tho, I can be quite talkative and joke non-stop.

yeah. it's sometimes a matter of being used to it.
Jan 26, 2009 5:35 AM

Aug 2008
kaitokun46 said:
so yeah, it's really a holiday for you legiondairy. so how do you deal with first meetings, something like that?

like new people? I usually don't deal with them =/

I've met wtih 2 new people in the past year, a guitar teacher and a net-friend.

And of course there's like people at counters and such but i usually don't actually talk to them, most they'll hear from me is "thank you, goodbye"
Jan 26, 2009 5:37 AM
Jan 2009
legiondairy said:
kaitokun46 said:

like new people? I usually don't deal with them =/

I've met wtih 2 new people in the past year, a guitar teacher and a net-friend.

And of course there's like people at counters and such but i usually don't actually talk to them, most they'll hear from me is "thank you, goodbye"

but does it sounds like rude to them, or you being an arrogant to them?
Jan 26, 2009 5:38 AM

Aug 2008
Not at all, i'll give them a smile and such to be nice or if they ask me how i'm going i'll reply.
I'm bare minimum with new people,
Jan 26, 2009 5:42 AM
Jan 2009
so its being nice that matters, huh? :) i don't know exactly how to be nice. :D
Jan 26, 2009 5:45 AM

Aug 2008
Lol, yeah when i DO talk i make sure i am nice :)
Jan 26, 2009 5:50 AM
Jan 2009
so what's your own definition of being nice? i'm not more into nice but i'm kinda quiet.
Jan 26, 2009 5:52 AM
Jan 2009
who wants here to have a club like "MAL Introverts Club: where quiet people in real world unite"? :))
Jan 26, 2009 5:53 AM

Aug 2008
My definition of being nice?
Ah, just using manners when speaking and returning compliments when they are recieved, returning smiles and yeah, just not being mean really.
Jan 26, 2009 5:55 AM
Jan 2009
oh. so when you have a quiet personality, then it's better that you'll be nice also. some kind of angelic personality. :)
Jan 26, 2009 6:03 AM

Aug 2008
Lol, i suppose so :P

i just dislike confrontation and i HATE having enemies so i be as nice as i can.

Jan 26, 2009 7:39 AM

Apr 2007
Chavez said:
Siing said:
(someone overhears)|
"SHUT UP CURRY"
"BUAHAHA"
"YOU WANNA FIGHT?"

Serves them right, actually. The WoW players deserve a beating for playing that game, and the capswhores deserve a beating as well for giving a shit about it.

Yep. And I didn't even include the fight club members, but at least they're absent 90% of the time so I don't have to worry about any knife outs or flying chairs coming near me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2009 8:01 AM
Sep 2008
lol..

The "being nice" thing. x_x I just do it automatically, but truth to tell, I hate it. Not being nice itself, but forcefully acting nice. I do it automatically but not naturally. Have to fake a smile or a laugh, etc.

:[ Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And when I can tell others are being forced too, I dislike it as well.
Jan 26, 2009 8:04 AM

Jun 2008
Siing said:
Chavez said:
Siing said:
(someone overhears)|
"SHUT UP CURRY"
"BUAHAHA"
"YOU WANNA FIGHT?"

Yep. And I didn't even include the fight club members, but at least they're absent 90% of the time so I don't have to worry about any knife outs or flying chairs coming near me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ&NR=1
Jan 26, 2009 8:27 AM

Dec 2008
It's a little both for me

If i can get along with someone i'll talk, but if it's someone i can't be friends or start a conversation i'm quiet around them.
Jan 26, 2009 8:57 AM

Apr 2007

Holy shit I lol'd.
Jan 26, 2009 11:03 AM

Dec 2008
Because speaking can be difficult, and correct pronunciation not the best. So speaking with hands is the rule of the day, or with gestures in combination with fewer words. That's me anyway. Actually I can "talk" quite a lot at times, just not using voice.
Jan 26, 2009 11:56 AM

Dec 2008
I'm a quiet guy, but if I know I'm hanging out with another quiet person. I usually talk more, since I don't want it to be awkward.
Jan 26, 2009 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not quiet or lonesome, don't pull me down with the rest of you!

I talk as much as needed, never too quiet but never an asshat/douchebag. And I have a negative trait where I'll tell people in the face that I fucking hate them (as long as they can't possibly screw me over, sucking up to teachers and superiors gets you higher in life)
Jan 26, 2009 12:24 PM

Oct 2008
Quiet around strangers. Very talkative around friends. (Definitely applies to online as well)
Jan 26, 2009 10:26 PM
Jun 2007
quiet around people i dont fit in as much with due to the lack of interest in what they do
otherwise id talk to someone for a bit
give me cofee nd i might start talking too much
Jan 27, 2009 12:21 AM

Jan 2009
I'm really quite in person till I warm up to. I'd prefer not to be so shy but I have a bit of social anxiety -.-

Watching: Lain + Reading: Kimi ni Todoke
Jan 27, 2009 5:35 AM
Jan 2009
Bamu said:
lol..

The "being nice" thing. x_x I just do it automatically, but truth to tell, I hate it. Not being nice itself, but forcefully acting nice. I do it automatically but not naturally. Have to fake a smile or a laugh, etc.

:[ Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And when I can tell others are being forced too, I dislike it as well.

do we really need to fake smiles? how if i want to project a mega-serious personality?
Jan 27, 2009 5:36 AM
Jan 2009
sseth672 said:
I'm not quiet or lonesome, don't pull me down with the rest of you!

I talk as much as needed, never too quiet but never an asshat/douchebag. And I have a negative trait where I'll tell people in the face that I fucking hate them (as long as they can't possibly screw me over, sucking up to teachers and superiors gets you higher in life)

that's why we need personality balance. :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.