Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 3, 2013 3:12 AM

Apr 2013
Let's say you were paranoid about nukes so you designed a box to protect you.

This box is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 7 feet long. You get inside and there is 2 tubes feeding through 2 of the same size hole leaving no room for roaches to get in. Now you surround that box with a larger box and fill it with cockroaches. The 2 tubes contain water and oatmeal or something like that.

If scientists aren't talking out of their asses, this should work, right?
Mind you this isn't meant to survive a blast just the fallout.
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 3, 2013 3:13 AM

Oct 2012
The fallout still goes into and through the cockroaches they just don't get killed by it. You'd still die. And the cockroaches wouldn't.
"He's not dead, he's Katsura."
Aug 3, 2013 3:17 AM

Sep 2009
I don't think you understand how radiation works.

Cockroaches don't shield from radiation, they just aren't harmed by it. Meanwhile, you and the box you're in are neither immune nor shielded.
Aug 3, 2013 3:27 AM

Feb 2012
Feels said:

This box is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 7 feet long. You get inside and there is 2 tubes feeding through 2 of the same size hole leaving no room for roaches to get in. Now you surround that box with a larger box and fill it with cockroaches. The 2 tubes contain water and oatmeal or something like that.

And this is why not everyone can be a comedian.

"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Aug 3, 2013 3:46 AM

Apr 2013
Bloodcalibur said:
Feels said:

And this is why not everyone can be a comedian.

>Implying you're a comedian
>Implying using the same rehashed one liners in every thread makes you funny

Inb4 umad, vegeta mad level, jimmy rustles, rehashed comedian jokes, or one-liners.
Aug 3, 2013 4:01 AM

Oct 2011
Cockroaches can fart every 15 minutes and can continuing farting 2 hours after death.

Aug 3, 2013 4:03 AM

Apr 2013
DEMOLITION_D said:
Cockroaches can fart every 15 minutes and can continuing farting 2 hours after death.

An interesting take. So you're saying the cockroach farts will effectively block out the radiation?
Aug 3, 2013 4:05 AM

Jun 2013
Feels said:
DEMOLITION_D said:

An interesting take. So you're saying the cockroach farts will effectively block out the radiation?

LOL
Aug 3, 2013 4:42 AM

Jul 2013
lal
Aug 3, 2013 4:46 AM

Dec 2012
I don't see this whole problem with radiation and mutation

I've always wanted an extra arm or leg how bad could it be

Aug 3, 2013 5:12 AM

Apr 2013
Jordooee253 said:

Aug 3, 2013 5:16 AM

Dec 2012
Feels said:
Jordooee253 said:

Aug 3, 2013 10:32 AM

Jan 2013
I don't think cockroaches will block the radiation, but feel free to try.
Aug 3, 2013 10:38 AM

Jul 2013
cockroaches are master race
Aug 3, 2013 10:40 AM

Jul 2013
The cockroaches wouldn't be a shield. Radiation would still go from the source to you/your box. In no way would that work XD
Pikachu wants some
Aug 3, 2013 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
This is an unrealistic story, I would never be anywhere around cockroaches for any reason
Aug 3, 2013 1:43 PM

Oct 2009
Feels said:
DEMOLITION_D said:

No, it means you'll get a room filled with radiation and cockroach farts. Sucks to be you.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 3, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2012
Feels said:

Not sure if extremely dumb at the point of having some mental sickness or just trolling
Aug 3, 2013 2:36 PM

Nov 2010
lupadim said:
Feels said:

Not sure if extremely dumb at the point of having some mental sickness or just trolling
Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle.
Aug 3, 2013 2:36 PM

Apr 2013
lupadim said:

Who put razor blades in your cereal Not_biased?
Aug 3, 2013 2:39 PM

Aug 2012
Feels said:
lupadim said:

Who put razor blades in your cereal Not_biased?

Oh no how do you know I am Not_Biased? Oh no my secret is exposed oh no.
Aug 3, 2013 2:45 PM

Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
lupadim said:
Feels said:

Now ain't that the pot calling the kettle.

Aug 3, 2013 2:46 PM

May 2013
Scientifically speaking, your plan will never work. You should have researched as well before you open this thread. The reason is top 1 in SEO of google, few keywords should have lead you to the answer. Take a look at this.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/cockroaches-survive-nuclear-explosion.htm
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Aug 3, 2013 3:43 PM

Dec 2009
We are exposed to radiation everyday.

The thickness of the shield and the radiation dose (source, type, distance, duration, etc.) are more important than the size of the tube or box... Well, maybe except that if the box is ridiculously huge which makes the subject being too far away from the radiation source.
Aug 3, 2013 4:32 PM

Dec 2012
The effect of radiation is more severe the more complex your internal workings are. Cockroaches can't survive a direct nuclear blast, almost nothing can, but because they are such simple organisms they are not affected by radiation. Humans are very complex, so we die from radiation rather quickly.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Aug 3, 2013 4:36 PM

Nov 2008
CNile said:
The effect of radiation is more severe the more complex your internal workings are. Cockroaches can't survive a direct nuclear blast, almost nothing can, but because they are such simple organisms they are not affected by radiation. Humans are very complex, so we die from radiation rather quickly.

Only the water bear can survive a direct nuclear blast and could survive in nuclear waste if they go into suspended animation.

Aug 3, 2013 4:38 PM

Dec 2012
lupadim said:
Feels said:

I think everyone can probably guess what Captain Picard would do if he were here.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Aug 3, 2013 4:42 PM

Nov 2011
I'm called Ralph.
I luv u
Aug 3, 2013 4:43 PM

May 2013
CNile said:

No it's not the complexity of the human beings that make us prone to radiation, neither roaches are not affected by radiation. People are most vulnerable because our cells multiplies rapidly, radiation destroys the last step of mitosis and will prevent cell it from splitting becoming two. Our cells will divide in minutes while roaches will have a week for them to do so. That is why they aren't that much vulnerable. Though they are still, with higher rads roaches will still die. So basically, the best explanation is, roaches have an enormous resistance against rads because they have a slow mitosis, while humans have faster one. This is the reason why radiation therapy is used for cancer patients, because cancer cells' cell division is even faster than normal cells, making cancer cells more vulnerable to radiation. It's like at 100 Rads, cancer cells are already dying rapidly while normal cells are surviving but still still few will die. In the case of roaches ratio to normal cells, at 1,000 rads. People will die in 10 minutes at 1,000 rads but half the roaches will survive this much radiation after a month of exposure, few roaches will survive at 10,000 rads, and all will die in 100,000 rads. So basically, not immune but resistant.
Aug 3, 2013 4:45 PM

Nov 2008
pauro19 said:
CNile said:

No it's not the complexity of the human beings that make us prone to radiation, neither roaches are not affected by radiation. People are most vulnerable because our cells multiplies rapidly, radiation destroys the last step of mitosis and will prevent cell it from splitting becoming two. Our cells will divide in minutes while roaches will have a week for them to do so. That is why they aren't that much vulnerable. Though they are still, with higher rads roaches will still die. So basically, the best explanation is, roaches have an enormous resistance against rads because they have a slow mitosis, while humans have faster one. This is the reason why radiation therapy is used for cancer patients, because cancer cells' cell division is even faster than normal cells, making cancer cells more vulnerable to radiation. It's like at 100 Rads, cancer cells are already dying rapidly while normal cells are surviving but still still few will die. In the case of roaches ratio to normal cells, at 1,000 rads. People will die in 10 minutes at 1,000 rads but half the roaches will survive this much radiation after a month of exposure, few roaches will survive at 10,000 rads, and all will die in 100,000 rads. So basically, not immune but resistant.

The water bear can survive in 570-600k rads if it's in suspended animation and can survive in vacuum as well.

Aug 3, 2013 4:48 PM

May 2013
Hoppy said:
pauro19 said:
CNile said:

The water bear can survive in 570-600k rads if it's in suspended animation and can survive in vacuum as well.

Genius. New discovery. I haven't thought something like this. (sarcastic)
Aug 3, 2013 5:19 PM

Apr 2013
Hoppy said:

So what you're saying is I need to put water bears in the surrounding box instead of roaches.

What happened to the roach fart idea?
Aug 3, 2013 5:30 PM

May 2013
Feels said:
Hoppy said:

So what you're saying is I need to put water bears in the surrounding box instead of roaches.

What happened to the roach fart idea?

I don't think it's existing. I believe it is one of the genius ideas of some people here trying to make others laugh, I believe.
Aug 3, 2013 5:39 PM

Jun 2008
Not sure if serious... but this attempt at a joke didn't get anywhere good.

Locked.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 10 hours ago

18 by deg »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 6 hours ago

9 by luckyrune »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

10 by Dracowyn »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.