Forum Settings
Forums

Do you believe it is wrong to condemn a genre for a particularly negative reception?

New
Jul 31, 2013 10:00 PM
Jul 2013
I have for the longest time condemned the Battle Anime genre due to my intense hatred for Naruto, DBZ, and Bleach, and had a stereotypical belief that they are all the same generic garbage. After watching FMA: Brotherhood, my opinion has somewhat lifted, but still hasn't been entirely swayed to forgive the atrocities the Big Three have inflicted on the genre.

What's your opinion on this?
Jul 31, 2013 10:02 PM

May 2013
I don't think it's wrong. I just don't think it's a good idea. First impressions do tend to stick for a while. If you hate even one of the big three, you may hate everything else involved.

I'll admit. I thought a similar way until I starting reading Naruto and decided to give Bleach a chance.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 31, 2013 10:10 PM

Jun 2012
I haven't even watched a single episode of Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, or One Piece or any of those types, because the fact that they go on for hundreds of episodes is extremely daunting, along with the fact that I assume (maybe wrong) that they are basically just bad compared to many other shows.

Fullmetal Alchemist, I watched both of them because 60 or so episodes doesn't sound bad to me, as long as they use all the episodes and don't add filler just to pad it out.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 31, 2013 10:16 PM

Dec 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
I have for the longest time condemned the Battle Anime genre due to my intense hatred for Naruto, DBZ, and Bleach, and had a stereotypical belief that they are all the same generic garbage. After watching FMA: Brotherhood, my opinion has somewhat lifted, but still hasn't been entirely swayed to forgive the atrocities the Big Three have inflicted on the genre.

What's your opinion on this?
Uh-uh, don't even compare Brotherhood to the Big Three. That's like comparing Ferrari to Kia, Ford, and Chevrolet.

That aside, I don't really steer clear of any genre in particular, because a masterpiece is a masterpiece n matter the genre. Though I don't watch Moe, the concept of the genre seems utterly dull to me. Almost as dull as the Press-"W" Simulator genre of video games.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jul 31, 2013 10:16 PM

Jun 2009
I used to discriminate romance, then I watched Clannad
I used to discriminate episodic shows, then I watched Hell Girl
I used to discriminate josei/shoujo, then I watched Honey and Clover/Chihayafuru

I used to discriminate battle shounen... Pending a new show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2013 10:19 PM

Nov 2010
You never mentioned One Piece as a focus of your intense hatred.

I'll say yes and no. It's your choice to be close minded and enjoy what you want even though you know one does not represent all. But I say someone is a dumbass if they are that close minded. That there are tons of things they could like that they are missing out on because of their close mindedness.

So it's their choice, to be a dumbass.

Open-Dice said:
I haven't even watched a single episode of Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, or One Piece or any of those types, because the fact that they go on for hundreds of episodes is extremely daunting, along with the fact that I assume (maybe wrong) that they are basically just bad compared to many other shows.
Yes you're wrong.
Jul 31, 2013 10:21 PM

Jun 2012
I'm gonna steal borrow AirStyes' way, because it looks good.
I used to discriminate meccha, then I watched NGE.
I used to discriminate comedy, then I watched Hataraku Maou Sama.
I used to discriminate mystery, then I watched Shinsekai Yori.

And I don't judge based off genre, but off the individual anime's way of portraying the genre(s).
Jul 31, 2013 10:34 PM

Mar 2012
Yaoi aside I don't have any hatred for particular genre. My dislike usualy only goes for particular series not a whole genre that series fall into.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 31, 2013 10:43 PM

Apr 2013
Nah I don't discriminate based on genre.. Except maybe Josei because they're usually not that interesting to me.

I also don't watch Yaoi and I heard all the fuss about it in Shinsekai Yuri and was a bit "stressed" before watching the show.. The scene in ep 8 went on for 15 seconds and I didnt care for it because the show was amazing overall.. so I guess there are some people more sensitive than me.
Jul 31, 2013 10:51 PM

Apr 2012
I think it's less about condemning a genre as a whole and more about shows that contain very similar tropes/stereotypes.Like said before, FMA and any one of the big 3 are considered shounen, but they have certain elements that separate them and give a different feel to them. While there are some shounen that I like, a lot of the tropes that the big 3 are known for make me hate them.
Jul 31, 2013 10:52 PM

Jun 2009
To be perfectly honest, I think it's fucking stupid to dislike something just because of it's genre/demographic.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 31, 2013 11:07 PM

Jun 2013
insan3soldiern said:
To be perfectly honest, I think it's fucking stupid to dislike something just because of it's genre/demographic.
agreed. all anime deserve a chance.

Aug 1, 2013 6:58 AM
May 2009
Open-Dice said:

Fullmetal Alchemist, I watched both of them because 60 or so episodes doesn't sound bad to me, as long as they use all the episodes and don't add filler just to pad it out.

Lol I am watching all. Though Bleach has ended. They are good to watch. But can be annoying as you said when Fights either drag on or there is little story progression.

But this concept of large episodic volumes is not limited to Battle anime. For example Detective conan has 16 movies 18 or so OVA's Yearly specials, Kaitou Kid split off and also is still ongoing at 660 something episodes.

Its pretty much the same thing a crime happens and it is solved. But some are interesting so aren't as interesting and then when story occurs it becomes amazing.
Aug 1, 2013 7:24 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, it is wrong to condemn the whole genre but i have to admit that i really don't like fighting genre (meaning stuff like Rurouni, Naruto Claymore and so forth)

I just don't enjoy watching fight's were everyone keep constantly pulling shit out of their asses.

And the fighting show tend to follow same damn formulas that i hate (for example villains always fucking play around)
Aug 1, 2013 7:39 AM
Feb 2013
I don't know what this genre is called, but the vast majority out there expresses intense prejudice and contempt against "AKB0048", for no apparent reason. Just look at those replies at MAL when they announced they were going to make an anime to promote some REAL LIFE IDOLS.... LOLOLOL

So yea that is probably the most discriminated-against anime I've ever seen, dont know if its cuz the genre... or whatever
Aug 1, 2013 8:28 AM

Jun 2012
I don't judge genre's because I've been so pleasantly surprised so many times already. I just don't take as much chances on certain genre's. Choosing an anime to watch is always a risk because I never know if I will end up liking it, so investing my time into a psychological mystery is a much safer pick than an ecchi harem. But as openminded as I am, I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing ecchi/harem/battle shounen in my top 10.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

68 by ZeroMajor12 »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

153 by BasilZero »»
3 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

3 by Blackfire2340 »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

62 by Nyron »»
34 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 3 hours ago

6 by Nyron »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.