Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2013 7:51 PM

Feb 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I figured they'd try to take over the ship.

Reminded me of a certain Star Trek episode...

It seems this episode exists for Mika to start to understand that DNA isn't everything.
Oct 1, 2013 12:30 PM

Jun 2009
This rubbish is absolutely boring, it looks like a bunch of amateurs trying to make a video.
However I can easily see this happening in the future, after we have used all our non-renewable resources, pollute the planet beyond recognition with wars and rubbish and feminists blame it all on men. It is more than a plausible scenario given that both capitalism and feminism are unlikely to go away anytime soon.
Sep 10, 2019 11:52 PM

Aug 2015
Episode 6 is pretty damn interesting, and as I sit here typing this 18 years after this episode was written, watching the Amazon rainforest burn to death and political instability and ultra-nationalist dictators are rampant across the planet, the fundamental issues at stake in Geneshaft feel quite pressing. This is a nice piece of sci fi, one that asks if the society in Geneshaft- a gene-manipulating, a-boot-stamping-on-a-human-face-forever eco-facist state is the only means to moderating industrial technology and human comfort and quality of life with the environment.

The "ancient" 21st century men are undeniably relatively rough and violent, and it is undeniable that the "pursuit of individual pleasures'" in the form of consumer waste (and irresponsible production) is driving environmental damage, which is in turn aggravating the potential for religious and political war. The mass irrationality of ecological destruction and social instability produced by capitalists acting only in their own interests is also accelerating our path to a dark future.

This episode seems to provide a frame for the rest of the anime, as the terrorists seen throughout are apparently trying to return to the 21st century in which human dignity existed, but the removal of behavior regulation would also invite renewed waste of the Earth and destruction. Both the astronauts and the Bilkis crew-women are right- DNA is not everything, and human families and reproduction are part of human dignity and rights- while the Geneshaft society that denies this is also right that 21st century world capitalism in its current form is a dead end, and modern humans, for example, are still so blinded by nationalism they cannot even accept other people as fully human, let alone envision the impact of humanity on the globe.

A very Star Trek feeling episode in a Western sci-fi feeling series, not surprising given the Western influences this anime wears on its sleeve. Unlike TNG's similar episode ("The Neutral Zone") in which the 24th century Enterprise crew confront 1980s people with their polemical moral superiority (pepole of the 24th century would ever think to won personal transportation or stoop to watch television) this episode reflects true cross-cultural contact- mutual curiosity, fascination, and mutual recrimination- an excellent short piece of sci fi. Rewatching this episode,I see it also seems to kick off Geneshaft's central focus on human potential (nurture) and human limitation (nature).
Sep 12, 2021 9:18 PM

Jun 2016
An interesting episode, seeing both sides of the argument between the new 23rd Century outlook to that of the Ancient 21st century pov.

I had a thought during this ep: could Mika be a human from the 21st Century? I wonder if that'll be the case, although the ending of this ep may nullify that thought.

Jun 9, 2022 10:17 PM

Aug 2018
i think i saw this same episode in Vandread my mind is tripping

More topics from this board

Poll: » Geneshaft Episode 13 Discussion

lakisa - Aug 8, 2012

11 by WhitestYaku »»
Apr 3, 10:35 AM

Poll: » Geneshaft Episode 12 Discussion

BurntJelly - Aug 2, 2013

3 by Guts-Valley »»
Jun 10, 2022 1:20 AM

Poll: » Geneshaft Episode 10 Discussion

BurntJelly - Aug 1, 2013

4 by Guts-Valley »»
Jun 10, 2022 12:40 AM

Poll: » Geneshaft Episode 5 Discussion

BurntJelly - Jul 31, 2013

4 by Guts-Valley »»
Jun 9, 2022 9:19 PM

Poll: » Geneshaft Episode 11 Discussion

BurntJelly - Aug 2, 2013

3 by A-Simple-Squire »»
Sep 14, 2021 5:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.