Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 30, 2013 6:44 AM

Apr 2012
Wasn't it about unpopular girl and her everyday life?

To me it looks like retarded girl and her everyday life. I enjoy the show anyway, but I can't omit this, it doesn't matter how unpopular you are, but having so LITTLE KNOWLEDGE about how real life goes, isn't it exaggerated? From what I know, this isn't a parody.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jul 30, 2013 6:51 AM

Dec 2012
Watamote is an episodic gag anime/manga with black comedy. So yes it's exaggerated on purpose for comedy mostly.
Jul 30, 2013 6:54 AM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
Watamote is an episodic gag anime/manga with black comedy. So yes it's exaggerated on purpose for comedy mostly.

"Black comedy"?

Do you know what Black Comedy is? This also isn't tagged as a parody for it to be so exaggerated. It doesn't imitate "unpopular girls" and satirizing them, it's more like calling this an "unpopular girl" and making her a retard.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2013 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
Just imagine if MC's sex was male, then it's perfectly fine(and it becomes the worst anime).
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 30, 2013 7:04 AM

Apr 2012
No, it wouldn't work anyway, instead of "she" being a retard it would be "he" being a retard.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2013 7:08 AM

Dec 2012
A black comedy, or dark comedy, is a comic work that employs black humor, which, in its most basic definition, is humor that makes light of otherwise solemn subject matter, or gallows humor

It makes fun of social outcasts and people with social anxiety by exaggerating the social anxiety of the main character and showing her absurd reactions on different awkward situations. It is not a parody, it is an episodic gag anime. It doesn't need to be a parody to be an exaggerated comedy.
Jul 30, 2013 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
Then I have to assume that you've lived a pretty good and proper life till now without seeing any retards in school or at work. There are many kinds of people.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 30, 2013 7:11 AM
Jun 2008
I guess this guy doesn't favor comedy show like Mr.Been .

Anyway,ALL comedy are retard if you see it one way xD
Jul 30, 2013 7:18 AM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
A black comedy, or dark comedy, is a comic work that employs black humor, which, in its most basic definition, is humor that makes light of otherwise solemn subject matter, or gallows humor

It makes fun of social outcasts and people with social anxiety by exaggerating the social anxiety of the main character and showing her absurd reactions on different awkward situations. It is not a parody, it is an episodic gag anime. It doesn't need to be a parody to be an exaggerated comedy.

Wrong, "Black comedy, also known as black humor or dark comedy, is a sub-genre of comedy and satire where topics and events that are usually treated seriously (death, mass murder, regular amounts of murder, suicide, domestic violence, disease, insanity, fear, child abuse, drug abuse, rape, castration, war, terrorism, line-cutting) are treated in a satirical manner while still being portrayed as the tragedies they are.", to give you the complete definition, this has nothing to do with black comedy.

No, it should be tagged as a parody, exactly because it makes fun of "unpopular people". But it's also a pretty bad exaggeration even if tagged as parody or not, it completely changes the subject from unpopularity to having no brain.
MorningGlory said:
I guess this guy doesn't favor comedy show like Mr.Been .

Anyway,ALL comedy are retard if you see it one way xD

It's Mr.Bean, and I love Mr.Bean. Too bad his jokes are better than this, she is completely oblivious to even herself.
DawnJ said:
Then I have to assume that you've lived a pretty good and proper life till now without seeing any retards in school or at work. There are many kinds of people.

The opposite, well, I did live a nice life until now, but most people are indeed brain dead. But she's something beyond that.

Beyond salvation, which isn't funny anymore, but sad and impossible given her circumstances.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2013 7:37 AM
Jun 2008
I do agree Mr.Been is a good comedy but it has critics.For what I know Mr.Been has become a symbol of British... hapless, awkward, self-conscious, childlike, disaster-prone.When I think of British, I will think of him . While Watamote is just a comedy that makes fun of ''unpopular people'' .
To me, Mr.Been is also no brain exaggerated and he had LITTLE KNOWLEDGE about how real life goes.
Why would Watamote worse than Mr.Been. I think both are at the same level.
Jul 30, 2013 1:09 PM

Sep 2011
Like Mr. Bean, she deserves almost all the mishap.

And we (I believe) love to laugh at other's demise.
Jul 30, 2013 1:13 PM

Apr 2012
I also laugh at her demise, it's just that Mr.Bean works, this doesn't.

Autocrat said:
Jul 30, 2013 2:10 PM

May 2009
Immahnoob said:
tsudecimo said:

Wrong, "Black comedy, also known as black humor or dark comedy, is a sub-genre of comedy and satire where topics and events that are usually treated seriously (death, mass murder, regular amounts of murder, suicide, domestic violence, disease, insanity, fear, child abuse, drug abuse, rape, castration, war, terrorism, line-cutting) are treated in a satirical manner while still being portrayed as the tragedies they are.", to give you the complete definition, this has nothing to do with black comedy.

No, it should be tagged as a parody, exactly because it makes fun of "unpopular people". But it's also a pretty bad exaggeration even if tagged as parody or not, it completely changes the subject from unpopularity to having no brain.

You seem to have gotten your definitions confused. You're on the right track, but you failed to see that both definitions are pretty much the same (especially if you read the whole article on Wikipedia).

WataMote's main focus is to make you laugh at the misfortunes of Tomoko, who has a serious case of Social Anxiety Disorder. SAD is anything but a laughing matter, especially for the worst cases, so the fact that this show makes fun of it marks it as a black comedy.

However, the real hook lies in the fact that a lot of people can relate to her and have a hard time watching this show without having to look away at least once. This makes it a cringe comedy as well.

And a parody? Are you for real?

While the show may have some parody elements in the form of various shout-outs, it's not a full-on parody in the slightest bit, as the shout-outs are not its main driving force. It would have to make fun of other works all the time for it to be one. Nyarlko-san and Lucky Star are far more parody than WataMote will ever be.

And I guess you don't know the difference between a social phobic person and a retard if you can claim so callously that Tomoko is a retard.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2013 6:30 AM

Apr 2012
Wrong once again, your definition of "tragic" is highly exaggerated. Her SAD isn't even that bad, she simply lacks any type of knowledge on social interaction which makes her SAD seem worse than it is and it is satirized too heavily. Not black comedy.

You really have no idea what a parody is. This IS a parody and it's not tagged as such. Why is it a parody? Because it takes the idea of "unpopular girl" and satirizes it to no extent, it mustn't be necessarily another WORK but also another target like an idea. The way they mock the subject makes Tomoko look like a retard, something beyond of somebody that suffers of SAD.

Autocrat said:
Jul 31, 2013 7:16 AM
Jul 2011
Just admit it: You read the discussion about people like Tomoko being very real and thought you might get some attention by just scrapping everything that's been said before and adding the word "retarded".

Seriously, at least a dozen people have been talking about the realism/exaggeration of this show for quite a while now, in the same forum. In fact, it's been "discussed" to the point where I stopped reading. Are you sure you're any better than Tomoko?
Jul 31, 2013 7:22 AM

Aug 2012
Just a comedy show. That's it.
The problem was that it was just too over-hyped.
Jul 31, 2013 7:24 AM

Jan 2013
There's nothing real about the girl in this show.

Noob, these anti social types love anime that glorifies their situation.

Its easy to just pretend everyone else is the problem, like the mc of watamote does.

Maybe if you chumps stopped watching feels anime and went outside you wouldnt have to pretend you can relate with unhappy anime girls.
Jul 31, 2013 7:25 AM

Apr 2012
"Realism"? Where? I can't see any realism.
Hidden_Joker said:

I can't say it's bad, I enjoy it, but yeah, I thought it will have a bit more observable development.
SolviteSekai said:

Its easy to just pretend everyone else is the problem, like the mc of watamote does.

Maybe if you chumps stopped watching feels anime and went outside you wouldnt have to pretend you can relate with unhappy anime girls.

Well, in the end (like usual) the MC will grow out of blaming others of her problem.

She'll know she's being mocked for being a retard, will break the third wall and become a normal person again.

No, actually, she'll just develop properly as a character, while these guys will remain the same, cursing this anime for it being a "failure". Just ya wait.

Autocrat said:
Jul 31, 2013 7:27 AM

Jan 2013
I bet theres lots of girls out there who spend 14 hours a day on the internet but still dont understand what "sleeping with a guy" means.
Jul 31, 2013 7:33 AM

Aug 2012
Personally the reason I stopped looking forward to this adaptation as I progressed further into the manga was because it got old. It's not funny anymore. It's just pitiful. The gags get old. Same gag, different situations. Sometimes just makes you cringe.

Although I admit they did a good job adapting it, and made it pretty entertaining, I'm not looking forward to an amazing show.
Jul 31, 2013 8:37 AM

May 2009
Immahnoob said:
Wrong once again, your definition of "tragic" is highly exaggerated. Her SAD isn't even that bad, she simply lacks any type of knowledge on social interaction which makes her SAD seem worse than it is and it is satirized too heavily. Not black comedy.

You really have no idea what a parody is.

I am now seriously convinced you're trolling. There is no way anyone can be this stupid to twist definitions around as he sees fit. It's even worse if you underestimate a serious medical condition, just like any of the other critics do.

This IS a parody and it's not tagged as such. Why is it a parody? Because it takes the idea of "unpopular girl" and satirizes it to no extent, it mustn't be necessarily another WORK but also another target like an idea. The way they mock the subject makes Tomoko look like a retard, something beyond of somebody that suffers of SAD.

WHAT idea of 'unpopular girl'? Examples, please. I don't see how this is a parody in any way, else every comedy that makes fun of someone or something ever made is a parody, and I'm sure most aren't.

Immahnoob said:

You have to have experienced it yourself in one way or another to know this is pretty much as real as it can get. People with an extreme form of SAD do act pretty much like Tomoko, I've seen them.

SolviteSekai said:

You're being awfully condescending towards people who you obviously can't relate to or don't want to understand, don't do that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2013 8:55 AM

Apr 2012
You've "seen" them, nice anonymous authority, I've also seen SAD that don't act like this then. "Twisting it as I see fit"? No, more like following the definition properly. What if somebody finds racist jokes traumatic? Is that "black" comedy now? Huehuehue.

The whole hype in Japan about the "mojo"?
Here http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=628185&show=160#msg23336085

I must experience it? Hahahaha, oh please, do you even think that these "syndromes" are experienced by each psychologist and then wrote about or something? You're insane. If you can't bring anything better don't bother.

Autocrat said:
Jul 31, 2013 12:00 PM

Jan 2013
SAD or not, Tomoko is a bit stupid and lacks some common sense.
But the anime is funny anyway.
Please understand.
Jul 31, 2013 12:37 PM

Apr 2012
Falcie said:
SAD or not, Tomoko is a bit stupid and lacks some common sense.
But the anime is funny anyway.

Idd, can't deny that laughing at her stupidity isn't good enough.

Autocrat said:
Aug 1, 2013 8:57 AM

Dec 2012
Hidden_Joker said:
Personally the reason I stopped looking forward to this adaptation as I progressed further into the manga was because it got old. It's not funny anymore. It's just pitiful. The gags get old. Same gag, different situations. Sometimes just makes you cringe.

Although I admit they did a good job adapting it, and made it pretty entertaining, I'm not looking forward to an amazing show.

Same here, I read the manga before the anime was announced and I dropped it because I realised it was just an episodic gag manga and that nothing will change in terms of story or characters.

I have bad news for anyone who thinks Tomoko is gonna have any kind of development. The anime might deviate from the manga but I doubt it.
Aug 1, 2013 10:20 AM

Apr 2012
tsudecimo said:
Hidden_Joker said:

Same here, I read the manga before the anime was announced and I dropped it because I realised it was just an episodic gag manga and that nothing will change in terms of story or characters.

I have bad news for anyone who thinks Tomoko is gonna have any kind of development. The anime might deviate from the manga but I doubt it.

So the manga and the anime will suck hardcore for me, huh?

Autocrat said:
Aug 1, 2013 10:45 AM

Aug 2012
Immahnoob said:
tsudecimo said:
Hidden_Joker said:

So the manga and the anime will suck hardcore for me, huh?

Well, if you're looking for any sort of growth or development, yes. It will suck.
Because there is absolutely no growth at all. The girl doesnt learn. She just stays her pitiful socially awkward self. If anything, the awkwardness gets even worse as the manga progresses, to the point of being, as i said before, just pitiful and cringe-worthy.

As tsudecimo said, i doubt the anime will deviate much from the manga.
Aug 2, 2013 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
SolviteSekai said:

I don't believe most anti social people blame others for their plight. Most of the time, the reason these people have such a hard time around others, is because they hate themselves. I personally know a girl who wanted to commit suicide because she thought she was too "stupid" to find friends. (And this person doesn't watch anime, so you can't blame that either.)
Aug 18, 2013 6:36 AM

Oct 2012
Immahnoob said:
Hidden_Joker said:

I can't say it's bad, I enjoy it, but yeah, I thought it will have a bit more observable development.
SolviteSekai said:

Well, in the end (like usual) the MC will grow out of blaming others of her problem.

She'll know she's being mocked for being a retard, will break the third wall and become a normal person again.

No, actually, she'll just develop properly as a character, while these guys will remain the same, cursing this anime for it being a "failure". Just ya wait.

It's pretty real you know.. You guys just didn't know much.. Did you?
Actually I like her as "unpopular girl"
She had this "charm" and I find it quite attractive than many popular & "attention-need girls" out there :)

SolviteSekai said:
I bet theres lots of girls out there who spend 14 hours a day on the internet but still dont understand what "sleeping with a guy" means.

Lol

CandyRat said:
SolviteSekai said:

I don't believe most anti social people blame others for their plight. Most of the time, the reason these people have such a hard time around others, is because they hate themselves. I personally know a girl who wanted to commit suicide because she thought she was too "stupid" to find friends. (And this person doesn't watch anime, so you can't blame that either.)

CandyRat you must watch Oregairu
Believe me almost every antisocial person are smarter than the social one
It's just because they knew too much I guess? Like a person with many personalities, common psychological things, etc
Rayl1ghtAug 18, 2013 6:40 AM
"Signature removed"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2013

252 by owonism »»
Mar 12, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.