Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2013 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
-
removed-userJan 12, 2021 8:24 PM
Oct 31, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2011
The dub was hilarious. This anime definitely fits under the "so bad it's good" column.

I mean, who the hell is Yamato Takeru no Mikoto?

Dec 11, 2013 3:35 AM

Nov 2011
carlomandeguz said:
Why has no one discussed this anime yet... Just from the first 5 minutes it looks fantastically horrible, especially with the English dub.

Are you suggesting that there are people who aren't watching the English dub? I feel sorry for them.
carlomandeguz said:
Also, the connection between real world Chris and Byston Well Chris makes no sense. Ah well, guess that's expected.

At least the dialogue made up for that.

But yeah, this was glorious. 5/5
Mar 8, 2014 7:24 PM

Feb 2012
Kousoku11 said:
carlomandeguz said:
Why has no one discussed this anime yet... Just from the first 5 minutes it looks fantastically horrible, especially with the English dub.

Are you suggesting that there are people who aren't watching the English dub? I feel sorry for them.

I watched a french dub ;)

I dont now why, but i kinda like it. There is always some charm in the animation of that time; and the story isnt that confusing, for me at least.
Dec 13, 2014 4:15 AM

Aug 2013
I'm watching it in the Japanese dub because I don't think I can stand the English one for the entire way through.

For what this series is, nothing is even that bad yet.
Mar 24, 2015 3:34 AM
Sep 2013
EVEN DINOSAURS ARE HERE!
Apr 26, 2015 4:29 PM

Feb 2013
That was some major break-neck rush pace. This guy ends up in another world and just starts killing... wow.

At least the action was non-stop. Otherwise this was just bad.
Jul 20, 2016 4:28 PM

Nov 2013
I wanted to watch this for a while and it surely lives up to its reputation. And the dub makes it even better. It's almost as good as the dub of Ghost Stories.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Apr 9, 2017 5:47 PM

May 2014
I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF THIS CONVOLUTED ANIME!
Apr 16, 2017 9:25 PM

Dec 2016
The English Dub may be one of the funniest things I have ever seen!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 18, 2018 6:25 AM
Oct 2017
not as bad as everyone says, mostly just boring and mildly confusing. weebs are too easily shocked and amused
Aug 22, 2018 2:36 AM

Dec 2015
Bad ? Confusing? Looks like Internet people exaggerated once again !

A japanese-US student forced to an astral travel into a fantasy world while still being present in the real world ? Ok. And a connection is maintained between the two halves? Colour me interested ! BUT why make this connection appear out of nowhere without any reasoning behind? I hope some things will come out of this configuration.

Too bad everything about the world was thrown at my face just for the sake of focusing half of the screen time to action (argh, Tomino, wake up, it's the 90s!). Technology/cultural/political aspects of the world are always more interesting when casually mentioned during an episode.
And there are also the very Tomino awkward dialogues, nonsensically jumping from A to Z. Looks like the guy was in full control, sadly.

Technical side, it's not really worth its OAV status: while designs are typical "serious 90s" fair, drawings and animation are rather poor for the format.

2.5+/5

@CodeBlazeFate Was this first OAV really supposed to be incredibly bad? Or are the worst things for later?

Solos said:

"no-mikoto" is often used as complement for Susannô-ô. Yamato is an ancient dynasty if I remember well.
So this is probably some deified / deificated figure of the foundation of the japanese empire, known by most japanese people. No need to make fun of it, seeing how the hero is in some way linked to jpanese traditions.
Rei_IIIAug 22, 2018 2:45 AM
Aug 22, 2018 4:28 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
Bad ? Confusing? Looks like Internet people exaggerated once again !

A japanese-US student forced to an astral travel into a fantasy world while still being present in the real world ? Ok. And a connection is maintained between the two halves? Colour me interested ! BUT why make this connection appear out of nowhere without any reasoning behind? I hope some things will come out of this configuration.

Too bad everything about the world was thrown at my face just for the sake of focusing half of the screen time to action (argh, Tomino, wake up, it's the 90s!). Technology/cultural/political aspects of the world are always more interesting when casually mentioned during an episode.
And there are also the very Tomino awkward dialogues, nonsensically jumping from A to Z. Looks like the guy was in full control, sadly.

Technical side, it's not really worth its OAV status: while designs are typical "serious 90s" fair, drawings and animation are rather poor for the format.

2.5+/5

@CodeBlazeFate Was this first OAV really supposed to be incredibly bad? Or are the worst things for later?

Solos said:

"no-mikoto" is often used as complement for Susannô-ô. Yamato is an ancient dynasty if I remember well.
So this is probably some deified / deificated figure of the foundation of the japanese empire, known by most japanese people. No need to make fun of it, seeing how the hero is in some way linked to jpanese traditions.
There are far worse things but this was an infamously bad title. It's dumb, its dialogue is more dreck than normal, and even the visuals got some notoriety for being lazy. I gave it a 3 and it disappointed me since it clearly doesn't live up to its reputation beyond its ridiculous as fuck premise.
Aug 22, 2018 6:14 AM

Dec 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
its dialogue is more dreck than normal

To be fair, they are very standard Tomino self-written dialogues(wich is bad, yes)

Not seeing anything ridiculous in the idea of astral travel ^^" (but there were several stupid things indeed)

@FMmatron I'm watching it for itself and for TOmino, not to joke about it, so no. Plus I'm french, so I will hear an english version ONLY if I can't get the original, french/german or italian one (english animation voices are too foreign to me)
Rei_IIINov 7, 2018 1:04 AM
Nov 6, 2018 11:14 AM

Nov 2016
@Rei366 did you watch the dub ? Storywise it isn't worse than some other OVA's, but the hilariousness of the voice acting is legendary.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 24, 2019 4:18 PM

Oct 2012
Holy shit, will he ever make it to the high school reunion public pool party!?!?

I give it 5/5 Yamato Takeru no Mikotos
Aug 22, 2019 1:09 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
This isn’t even funny in the slightest (I’m watching the dub)

bitchassdarius said:
not as bad as everyone says, mostly just boring and mildly confusing. weebs are too easily shocked and amused

This. It was boring and unfunny.
Jan 30, 2021 5:13 PM

Mar 2010
Twas a fun ride, it was such a breath of fresh air not something you watch unless you look for it. but its like a hidden gem of greatness.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

More topics from this board

» Byston Well question

Hagumi-forever - Mar 13, 2022

1 by Alpha-Nine »»
Mar 19, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » Byston Well Monogatari: Garzey no Tsubasa Episode 3 Discussion

Kousoku11 - Dec 11, 2013

11 by Coolzweg2 »»
Mar 7, 2022 11:46 PM

Poll: » Byston Well Monogatari: Garzey no Tsubasa Episode 2 Discussion

Kousoku11 - Dec 11, 2013

3 by Falcon27 »»
Jan 18, 2020 3:15 AM

» This anime is glorious!

MarviD - Aug 11, 2018

1 by dlwuik »»
Aug 11, 2018 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.