Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Jul 15 - 21

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 23, 2013 7:19 AM

Sep 2012
arena149 said:
So what are stalker's prediction for Madoka movie & Railgun S?

Madoka movies - 64.8k

Railgun2 vol.1 - 13.5k BD + 1.8k DVD = 15.3k
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 23, 2013 7:24 AM

Sep 2012
^ You are right. To break it down

BD limited edition 64.8k
BD regular edition 3.9k
DVD vol.1 4.1k
DVD vol.2 4.1k

comes to around 77k....However...

Here it gets a bit tricky: because the two DVD volumes together form the contents of one BD, I guess in 2ch sales thread may choose to separate the BD and DVD sales and do not sum up the two.
symbvJul 23, 2013 7:29 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 23, 2013 7:32 AM

Oct 2007
Raigrex said:
^Read my post again. It was sarcasm or whatever you call it.
I know it's disappointing but you aren't special enough to be widely recognized and nobody cares enough to memorize your animelist and notice "sarcasm" referring it.
Jul 23, 2013 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
arena149 said:
So what are stalker's prediction for Madoka movie & Railgun S?

Madoka movies - 64.8k (77k)

Railgun2 vol.1 - 13.5k BD + 1.8k DVD = 15.3k

Oh that is interesting. Thanks for the info. :)
Jul 23, 2013 7:42 AM
Oct 2010
Newhopes said:
Never understood why people are so obsessed with Madoka I found it boring as hell.

I really don't see how someone could say this then have AoT as one of their favourite animes. I really like AoT's manga but the anime adaptation is really sleep inducing.

Oh well, different strokes! Good to see AoT is doing well, I guess a second season may come around in 2 years or so.. depending on how long the source material takes to come out. Hopefully they work on the pacing, useless stills and don't cheap out on some of the action shots (lol shifting to a static background when people are going in for an attack.. so silly).
Jul 23, 2013 7:45 AM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
symbv said:
Here it gets a bit tricky: because the two DVD volumes together form the contents of one BD, I guess in 2ch sales thread may choose to separate the BD and DVD sales and do not sum up the two.

Yeah bit unusual, reminds me of concert CDs like the latest Hatsune Miku concerts, or a recent iDOLM@STER one, which have a version that combined multiple days/events, and other versions that cover just one of the events each.

Best way to handle something with formats like this is usually BD LE + BD RE + Avg(DVD1 + DVD2). If the goal is to determine how many unique instances of the full content (defined here as the two movies together) were sold, it'd be 64.8 + 3.9 + ((4.1+4.1)/2) = 72.8k for the combined set of movies, using Stalker's figures.
So... about the same as TV series. Nice. In first week! I wonder how long tail it's gonna have.
Jul 23, 2013 7:47 AM

May 2012
Lol Attack on Titan underperformed like hell. Still, at least it sold more than sword art online.
Jul 23, 2013 7:49 AM

Sep 2012
Progeusz said:
So... about the same as TV series. Nice. In first week! I wonder how long tail it's gonna have.
Chances are it will get a boost when the third Madoka movie is released to theaters near the end of October. The wave of Ghibli's DVD titles showing up in this week's DVD chart is one beneficial result from the premiere of Kaze Tachinu, the latest Ghibli film, for example:

*3, *1,875 1,197,056 Tonari no Totoro
*6, **,987 *,508,400 Majo no Takkyuubin
*7, **,853 *,354,139 Mononoke Hime
11, **,724 *,767,381 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
13, **,595 *,121,603 Mimi wo Sumaseba
14, **,576 2,382,833 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
15, **,515 *,656,263 Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa
17, **,439 *,190,493 Kurenai no Buta

EIGHT TITLES !!!
symbvJul 23, 2013 9:01 AM

Jul 23, 2013 7:50 AM
Oct 2010
Btw how many episodes does the first volume of AoT have? I can see anything less than 8 being one of the main reasons it didn't do better.
Jul 23, 2013 7:51 AM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
And hopefully a lot more in subsequent weeks, if it does indeed sell 72k wk1. I'm particularly hoping the third movie hits 100k. Fingers crossed.
I think it's quite likely considering it will have entirely new material unlike first two movies. 100k looks like a good goal to hope for.

e:
symbv said:
Chances are it will get a boost when the third Madoka movie is released to theaters near the end of October. The wave of Ghibli's DVD showing up in this week's DVD chart is one beneficial result from the premiere of Kaze Tachinu, the latest Ghibli film, for example.
Oh, right, old Evas also jumped when 3.33 was released so recap movies should get some boost when third one is out.
Jul 23, 2013 7:57 AM
Oct 2010
jmal said:
skudoops said:
Btw how many episodes does the first volume of AoT have? I can see anything less than 8 being one of the main reasons it didn't do better.

...8? o_O Heh, Japanese BDs have 1-3 episodes per volume on average. Shingeki v1 has 2 episodes on it. Some of the other volumes have 3 episodes. 9 volumes total, which is normal for a two cour show.

Yeah, I had no idea. I thought it would be around 4 like madoka.Then again I mostly own movies.

@Your edit, I didn't mean to imply it did badly in the slightest, but the way the show is I'm not surprised it didn't live up to the lofty sales expectations if the BD is only the first two eps.
Jul 23, 2013 7:59 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
I suppose all the TV anime DVDs you have seen are the bootleg ones? Because even the official release in US the BDs usually have 4 episodes, not 8, in one BD/DVD.

jmal said:
skudoops said:
Yeah, I had no idea. I thought it would be around 4 like madoka..
Madoka was two episodes per volume.
I think he may be talking about the US release.

Jul 23, 2013 8:00 AM
Nov 2009
skudoops said:
jmal said:
skudoops said:

...8? o_O Heh, Japanese BDs have 1-3 episodes per volume on average. Shingeki v1 has 2 episodes on it. Some of the other volumes have 3 episodes. 9 volumes total, which is normal for a two cour show.

Yeah, I had no idea. I thought it would be around 4 like madoka.Then again I mostly own movies.

@Your edit, I didn't mean to imply it did badly in the slightest, but the way the show is I'm not surprised it didn't live up to the lofty sales expectations if the BD is only the first two eps.

Madoka had 2 épisodes per volume. You're referring to the American release.
Jul 23, 2013 8:01 AM
Oct 2010
jmal said:
skudoops said:

Huh.. is the American version 4 episodes or something? I'm pretty sure my friend got 4 with his vol 1 O.O

symbv said:
skudoops said:
I suppose all the TV anime DVDs you have seen are the bootleg ones? Because even the official release in US the BDs usually have 4 episodes, not 8, in one BD/DVD.

jmal said:
skudoops said:
Yeah, I had no idea. I thought it would be around 4 like madoka..
I think he may be talking about the US release.

Nah, I actually had no idea, I always used to think they were 4-8 depending on length of the series since I only really buy movies. I was waiting on the madoka set to go down in price more.
Suzune-chanJul 23, 2013 6:06 PM
Jul 23, 2013 8:03 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
The line of reasoning is deeply flawed here. The lofty sales expectation is held by many fans in Japan, and in Japan the standard is to have two eps per BD volumes (which means it is a common knowledge among fans in Japan), so why the BD having 2 eps should affect how much its actual sales lives up to its sales expectation?

Jul 23, 2013 8:05 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
skudoops said:
The line of reasoning is deeply flawed here. The lofty sales expectation is held by many fans in Japan, and in Japan the standard is to have two eps per BD volumes, so why the BD having 2 eps should affect its actual sales relative to its sales expectation?

With the way the show is I could see alot of people waiting for more batches to come out before getting them.
Jul 23, 2013 8:10 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
With the way the show is I could see alot of people waiting for more batches to come out before getting them.
This is a speculation, but from my years of making observations about pattern of anime BD/DVD sales, I doubt the tail of vol.1 will extend far to later volumes.

Jul 23, 2013 8:14 AM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
skudoops said:
This is a speculation, but from my years of making observations about pattern of anime BD/DVD sales, I doubt the tail of vol.1 will extend far to later volumes.

Yeah you are probably right.

jmal said:
skudoops said:

Nothing you're saying is unreasonable if stated in a vacuum, but in the context of the JP market it's not how things end up going. If people have already seen the episodes on TV, they don't have a lot of incentive to wait to buy the BDs.

Things that cause a show to start selling more after the release has started are, say, a big plot twist that gets a lot of new fans interested, or some kind of fancy extra getting announced (especially if it requires buying all volumes to get), or sometimes a movie/sequel announcement. But most people who already decided they want to buy the show will start buying early on with volume one.

Ah ok, that makes sense. I guess I was thinking about it too much from my own POV.
Jul 23, 2013 8:18 AM
Oct 2010
Moving along, since we are on the topic of Madoka, how much are the movies are expected to sell?
Jul 23, 2013 8:27 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
Moving along, since we are on the topic of Madoka, how much are the movies are expected to sell?
I think if you just go back a few posts we have already touched upon it: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=636219&show=60#msg23736281

Jul 23, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2011
Aaaaawww yeah! SnK is #1 in sales! The OST and OP are doing good as well.
[center]
Jul 23, 2013 8:40 AM

Nov 2008
symbv said:

*4, 16,078 *16,078 Senki Zesshou Symphogear G Character Song 1 "Fushichou no Flamme"
16, *3,653 *18,705 Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS OP "Get goal!"
20, *3,094 **3,094 Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS Character Songs 01 Minato Tomoka "Junjou Generation"

<3

Tomoka's character song seems to have sold lower than the previous season's character song of her. Can't wait for Hinata's for sure.

Jul 23, 2013 8:52 AM

Nov 2008
symbv said:
Progeusz said:
Chances are it will get a boost when the third Madoka movie is released to theaters near the end of October. The wave of Ghibli's DVD titles showing up in this week's DVD chart is one beneficial result from the premiere of Kaze Tachinu, the latest Ghibli film, for example:

*3, *1,875 1,197,056 Tonari no Totoro
*7, **,853 *,354,139 Mononoke Hime
11, **,724 *,767,381 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
13, **,595 *,121,603 Mimi wo Sumaseba
14, **,576 2,382,833 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
15, **,515 *,656,263 Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa
17, **,439 *,190,493 Kurenai no Buta

SEVEN TITLES !!!

You missed *6, **,987 *,508,400 Majo no Takkyuubin, so there's actually eight Ghibli films there,
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jul 23, 2013 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
SnK dominating, not surprised.
Jul 23, 2013 8:58 AM

Sep 2012
Stark700 said:
SnK dominating, not surprised.
Who would be surprised by that, I wonder? Perhaps you can tell us whether you are surprised by the sales number.. Surprisingly high? low? Within your expectation? Or you never thought about it?

@FOE-tan
Thanks for pointing out. Just goes to show how many there are... I wonder when this last happened...

Jul 23, 2013 9:40 AM

Oct 2012
Not bad SnK, not bad at all.
Jul 23, 2013 9:43 AM

Jun 2011
Maybe with the extra money, SnK can finally stop with the annoying still shots.

You think it'll get up to 70K by the second to third week?
Jul 23, 2013 9:45 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:
*6, 15,487 *15,487 Free! OP "Rage on"

I know big part of the sales are because this is from Free!, but I can't help but being proud of OCD.

Also I was expecting a bit more of Shingeki sales afterall. This week was slow as last one.
「喜びも悲しみもあなたさえ五等分なんです!」

Jul 23, 2013 9:48 AM

Sep 2012
LucyNightray said:
symbv said:
I know big part of the sales are because this is from Free!, but I can't help but being proud of OCD.
Yeah, previously the best record by OLDCODEX for first week sales is KuroBas ED which sold 7.2k in its first week, so this time it more than doubled its previous best record.

Jul 23, 2013 9:57 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Who would be surprised by that, I wonder? Perhaps you can tell us whether you are surprised by the sales number.. Surprisingly high? low? Within your expectation? Or you never thought about it?

I was a bit surprised, I was expecting it to be in 70's. May eventually end up there, but with all the PR around this (won't call it "hype"), I was expected historic, not just extremely good sales. This may sound funny given how well it did do, but that is my feeling.

Will be curious to see what the fall off is, if any, when V2 comes out.
Jul 23, 2013 10:10 AM

Jun 2012
I guess the interesting speculation now comes to AoT vs the Monogatari franchise. The first question is can AoT beat the number 1 seller (if I'm not mistaken) of 2012, Nisemonogatari.

The second question is can AoT outsell Monogatari season 2 and become the number 1 seller of 2013.

Of course, it's all speculation but we have significant new information, so it is interesting to revisit this question now.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 23, 2013 10:23 AM
Mar 2010
I thought Shingeki would sell 60k first week but this isn't bad either. This is very good. I think volumes 2-4 have some bonuses in them as well? So volume 5 onwards might drop...

symbv said:

When I saw this I literally jumped out of my seat and shouted 'F*CK YES! YES!!!!!!!!!!'.
I'm soooo happy! For OCD, Tatsun AND for Free! This is a record for OCD isn't it? It so deserves it. I didn't like the song at first but it grew on me and now I love it.

I wonder how much the ED will sell. Probably more than the OP.

I hope this is a good sign for Free!'s BD and DVD sales as well. I hope it's a more storefront heavy title. It's been ranking really well at Tsutaya and I see volume 1 and occasionally volumes 2-4 rank on the Animate TOP 10 from time to time including this morning.

Rage on, Free!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 23, 2013 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
jmal said:
phoenixalia said:
When I saw this I literally jumped out of my seat and shouted 'F*CK YES! YES!!!!!!!!!!'.
I'm soooo happy! For OCD, Tatsun AND for Free! This is a record for OCD isn't it?

What I read elsewhere is that this is equal to the first week sales of all their singles since 2010 combined, including the Kurobas one. So yeah, definitely a good thing for them.

Ok, now I am amazed.
amakkiJul 23, 2013 10:33 AM
「喜びも悲しみもあなたさえ五等分なんです!」

Jul 23, 2013 10:33 AM

Dec 2011
Spirited Away showing up and putting Totoro in its place for once.

And Saki <3. One more volume of that to come on the 21st August.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 23, 2013 10:36 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I'm soooo happy! For OCD, Tatsun AND for Free! This is a record for OCD isn't it? It so deserves it. I didn't like the song at first but it grew on me and now I love it.

What I read elsewhere is that this is equal to the first week sales of all their singles since 2010 combined, including the Kurobas one. So yeah, definitely a good thing for them.
Not quite, but if we count from 2011 then it will be more than the combined total.

First week sales
10/03/10 **2,101  [Blue] OLDCODEX
10/06/09 **1,661  flag on the hill OLDCODEX
11/04/27 **1,524  Harsh Wind OLDCODEX
12/03/07 **1,610  Cold hands OLDCODEX
12/08/08 **7,198  カタルリズム (黒子のバスケ ED) OLDCODEX
13/05/22 **3,732  The Misfit Go (アラタカンガタリ ~革神語~ ED) OLDCODEX

Total: 17,826

Counting since 2011, the total would be: 14,064

Ref:

Jul 23, 2013 10:38 AM

Jun 2012
symbv said:
2013 Spring Preliminary First Volume Sales

Key: Total - # Weeks Charted - Title - Format ranked - Release Date

65,465 *3 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000% [BD+DVD]: 2013/06/26

This is why I hate Japan
Jul 23, 2013 10:42 AM

Jan 2013
Is there a reason why the DVD percentage share of some titles is very low like from the numbers symbv posted it was ~15% for Madoka while for some titles it's fairly high like for SnK it is ~34%.

Expected these numbers for SnK, it would be interesting to see how far the sales will fall for Volume 2.
Jul 23, 2013 10:49 AM

Sep 2012
alanwake said:
Is there a reason why the DVD percentage share of some titles is very low like from the numbers symbv posted it was ~15% for Madoka while for some titles it's fairly high like for SnK it is ~34%.
The conventional thinking is basically the higher the proportion of male anime fans, who generally care a great deal about video quality, the greater the proportion of discs sold are BDs. For female oriented shows and family shows (Ghibli for example) we usually see much higher proportion of DVD in the disc sales. In SnK's case, we know the show is very popular with female audience so its high DVD percentage share of sales is understandable.

Jul 23, 2013 11:11 AM

Dec 2011
Shuhan said:
symbv said:

This is why I hate Japan

Nobody believed me when I said (in a thread on the Anime Discussion forum) that UtaPri vol 1 might give SnK vol 1 a run for its money in terms of top sales of Spring.

SnK will get a higher average, though.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 23, 2013 11:13 AM

Jan 2013
symbv said:
alanwake said:
The conventional thinking is basically the higher the proportion of male anime fans, who generally care a great deal about video quality, the greater the proportion of discs sold are BDs. For female oriented shows and family shows (Ghibli for example) we usually see much higher proportion of DVD in the disc sales. In SnK's case, we know the show is very popular with female audience so its high DVD percentage share of sales is understandable.

Are viewership numbers released for anime like they are released in the west for TV shows?

Shuhan said:
symbv said:

This is why I hate Japan

No reason to hate. Every country has it's 'Twilight' and '50 Shades of Grey'.
alanwakeJul 23, 2013 11:16 AM
Jul 23, 2013 11:15 AM

Dec 2011
alanwake said:
symbv said:
alanwake said:

Are viewership numbers released for anime like they are released in the west for TV shows?

I only know of the list of the 10 most popular stuff by household rating. I'm not sure if any top seller on DVD/BR has even been on that list since Evangelion.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-07-21/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-june-8-14 <--this thing is what I'm talking about
Jul 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Aug 2011
SnK dominating. I'm not at all surprised.
Jul 23, 2013 11:20 AM

Oct 2007
Newhopes said:
Never understood why people are so obsessed with Madoka I found it boring as hell.

Because SHAFT fans, at least in my experience, are extremely loud about the stuff they enjoy if you haven't already noticed. I found it to be a pretty good show but it's nowhere near the earth shattering all encompassing whatever that some make it out to be. It's not the kind of show I'd go on and on and on about and be constantly namedropping personally. I think that's probably what bothers people most about it's legacy.

As symbv mentioned though a major reason it's mentioned in this thread is because of it's record establishing Blu-Ray sales. Personally I don't like how some Madoka fanboys love to lord that distinction over other shows like it's supposed to mean anything more than the number it adds up to in terms of units sold, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Jul 23, 2013 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
alanwake said:

I only know of the list of the 10 most popular stuff by household rating. I'm not sure if any top seller on DVD/BR has even been on that list since Evangelion.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-07-21/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-june-8-14 <--this thing is what I'm talking about

All the shows on that list air on weekend and the target seems to be children so not that surprising that they will have high ratings.
Jul 23, 2013 11:21 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
It is also far from the first week sales of Madoka v1 52944 BD + 9097 DVD = 62041
Good. Just as it should be.
Jul 23, 2013 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
Damn I owe someone 5 dollars, I just thought for sure SnK would hit the 60k mark. 56k is still boss as hell though. Can't wait to see what Railgun will do though.
Jul 23, 2013 11:23 AM

Sep 2012
alanwake said:
There are ratings like kuuderes_shadow said but only partial data are available and anyway for shows like Madoka and SnK which are aired in midnight time slots the rating would be low and not meaningful.

BTW, seems somebody indeed managed to get Aku no Hana v1 from some internet retailer (Rakuten in this case) - just goes to show how abrupt the suspension of sales was decided right before the official release date:

Jul 23, 2013 11:27 AM

Nov 2008
That list is filled with super long runners that the more that I think of them the chances I'll try them due to the extreme length will be reduced. On the bright side Doki Doki Precure is on the list which is nice.

Jul 23, 2013 11:27 AM

Oct 2007
DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:
It is also far from the first week sales of Madoka v1 52944 BD + 9097 DVD = 62041

A perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Yeah good job Madoka, you keep those lesser shows in their place. :/
Jul 23, 2013 11:30 AM

Dec 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:

A perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Yeah good job Madoka, you keep those lesser shows in their place. :/

It's DraconisMarch. You can't expect any post by him to be uncontroversial.

symbv said:
seems somebody indeed managed to get Aku no Hana v1 from some internet retailer

I wonder if they'll try to sell it for some outrageous price as a "rare" item.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

22 by ZXEAN »»
21 minutes ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

1 by seweholmes »»
2 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
4 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Today, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.