Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 21, 2013 3:04 AM
Jan 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really liked it, more than Kokuriko-zaka Kara. I liked how Story did not get stuck in one place, it was moving from place to place. And hearing a foreigner speaking bad japanese always gets, reminds me about my early months in Japan.

What´s the name of the German Song?
Jul 22, 2013 8:13 AM

Feb 2008
Saw it tonight. Caught the late show at the local cineplex. At least time I wasn't the only person in the theatre.

The beginning of the movie caught me a touch off guard. It just starts as soon as the quote from a French author is flashed on the screen. As a drama it is touching, enjoyable and a touch poignant (for me). Definitely MUST be seen on the big screen.

PS: I caught the title of the German song in the end credits but I didn't make a mental note of it. I was intently waiting to find out what the title of the Matsutoya (Arai) Yumi song was.
Jul 22, 2013 8:31 AM

Sep 2012
Asore said:
What´s the name of the German Song?
Das gibt's nur einmal
It is a theme song used in a 1931 German movie Der Kongreß tanzt and the song got fairly wide distribution in Japan at that time too.
symbvJul 22, 2013 8:35 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 22, 2013 7:52 PM

Nov 2011
For those who have seen the movie... how long is it? Just curious.

Very interested in this, might have to pick up the blu ray when it comes out next year along with Princess Kaguya.
Jul 23, 2013 6:02 AM
Jan 2010
Around 2 hours, not too long for my taste.
Jul 26, 2013 8:06 AM
Jul 2009
I really liked it. Definitely one of my favourite Ghibli films.

The voice of Jiro was slightly offputting at first but I got used to it after a while. I don't think it would have been as interesting if they just went with a generic voice actor.

(For anyone who was wondering, the real Jiro Horikoshi's wife didn't die of tuberculosis, that would be Tatsuo Hori's wife.)
Jul 26, 2013 11:13 AM
Jan 2012
I watched it at late show in Kinshicho, Tokyo. Although this might not be my most favorite Miyazaki film of all time (I want more of his fantasies like Totoro. Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and Sprited Away), it is definitely one of his finest and most important works.

People debating about whether Miyzaki has become a rightist or have been leftist in political thought should shut up and watch it.

The romance and wedding sequence was beautiful; the earthquake scene reminded me of the terrifying moments of the 3.11 earthquake vividly.

No, that's just smoke got in my eyes...
Jul 31, 2013 5:21 AM
Dec 2007
To sum up what I think of the movie, let's say that before, Miyazaki had a quintet of masterpieces (all the films he did between 1986 and 1997), now he has a sextet.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 31, 2013 1:54 PM
Jan 2012
I love his past works, too. However, this must have been the film he "had" to make towards the audience (especially the young adults of Japan), now, and at this later stage in his life. It's easy to understand why he shed tears for the first time in his life over his own film- it was a huge challenge and he accomplished it without much if any compromise.

It's not a simple and easy film as you are made to "read between the lines" and think over again (it doesn't give clear answers; instead, it points to more questions). To some people the part touching on details of engineering might seem boring (sorry for sounding sexist and gender-biased but girls might fall asleep).

That said, it's a masterpiece.

Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro, Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away.
Um... that makes a septet for me. Without counting the hidden treasure Whisper of the Heart in which he wrote the script, story-boarded, and co-produced.
Aug 16, 2013 7:01 PM
Oct 2009
I didn't like it at all. It was long and boring (and I usually like those movies where not too much stuff happens...) but it just wasn't interesting in the least to me. I also thought the main guy's voice was horrible and he had no emotion whatsoever the whole time. Like 'oh. an earthquake. oh noes.'
Sure the animation was good, but it was just your average Ghibli animation style. Nothing special or innovative.
Sep 3, 2013 3:22 AM
Jan 2013

Suzie said:
I also thought the main guy's voice was horrible and he had no emotion whatsoever the whole time. Like 'oh. an earthquake. oh noes.'
It was Anno Hideaki who is creater of Evangelion. Obviously, he suck at voice acting.

Not even going to discuss or post anything about this film.
KitchiriSep 3, 2013 3:36 AM
Sep 5, 2013 5:32 PM

Jan 2013
The message is simple and clear, but not appealing due to Hayao's worn-out directing ability. He should've retired long time ago.

The movie is horribad, even worse than Howl's Moving Castle, Tales from Earthsea and The Secret World of Arrietty(and the latter two are not directed by Hayao).

Romance and almost-non-existent drama are godly lame, scenes are self-cloning, Jiro's voice acting is horrible(suits somewhat for Jiro's character, but still bad), and most of all, the movie itself is super boring.

Good bye, Miyazaki Hayao, I'm just gonna watch Spirited Away and Porco Rosso again.
DawnJSep 5, 2013 5:35 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Sep 18, 2013 1:39 AM

Aug 2012
I thought the voice acting quite fit the character, although for the more emotional moments, it kinda had less of an impact and felt off.

Great movie.

A lot of hate towards in Korea, due to the subject matter, but really, found it was quite overblown. I thought the movie was quite anti war.

Also, LOVED the music (of course) and the dream sequences.

Great movie overall.
Oct 18, 2013 1:08 PM

Aug 2010
Just got home from staying with a host family in Japan, and we watched this together.

Absolutely brilliant, and easily the deepest and most "adult" of Ghibli films.

Prepare yourselves, this is some serious gold.
Dec 9, 2013 1:32 PM
Jun 2007
I saw this during it's academy award eligibility run in LA last month and then again last night at the closing of the LA Eiga Film Festival which had a Q and A at the end with the overseas operations guy from Studio Ghibli.

What a beautiful film. I can't get enough of it. I really hope everyone gets a chance to see this film.
Feb 22, 2014 10:32 AM
Nov 2011
Dizmo said:

(For anyone who was wondering, the real Jiro Horikoshi's wife didn't die of tuberculosis, that would be Tatsuo Hori's wife.)

Oh, do you know anything else about real Jiro Horikoshi's wife? I can't find any information anywhere :(
Feb 23, 2014 3:40 PM

Mar 2010
Finally, it's in american theaters!

Saw it yesterday, and I really liked it. It was a nice reflection on a life of making ones dreams into reality (as Miyazaki has done many times).

Also, it was cool that it was about planes. So many of Miyazaki's films contain beautiful aeronautics sequences so to me it seemed the perfect way to end his career.
Feb 25, 2014 2:06 AM
May 2013
a great film for lovers of animation, history and biopics. not recommended for the average american moviegoer. not miyazaki's best, but a great film to leave on if it is indeed his last directorial role. and easily one of the best animated films of all time.
Feb 27, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2012
just got back from the first day of Australian screening. to put it shortly, its certainly not miyazakis best.

the movie never really feels like it has a set goal its working towards ,obviously its about him building the zero fighter but that doesnt actually play the main part of the film, the majority is to be honest, slice of life following the day to day routine of jiro. while this doesnt make for a bad film, it really lacks the magic that the ghibli classics had (for similar example, whisper of the heart stuck to the slice of life formula and was fantastic). the relationship between jiro and his fiancee feels a bit rushed

and scorewise, while the soundtrack fit nicely, Hisaishi really didnt feel like he went above and beyond with this one. you could take any main piece out of nausicaa, laputa, mononoke, spirited away, or even totoro and someone would easily recognize it, but this didnt have any standout tracks to me,

animation wise, and technically speaking, the movie was nearly flawless, bar the one mentioned point above mine about the static characters having a slight jitter to their animation, im not sure what that was about.

honestly, i think something like this would have worked better off as as short series.

in summary, not terrible, but definitely not miyazakis best, infact, probably one of his weaker, but ponyo and howls moving castle also had the same sort of problem.
it lacked the magic of classic ghibli films.
7/10. porco rosso primarily, castle in the sky and nausicaa still remain better aircraft films.
Feb 28, 2014 10:37 PM

Jun 2013
Just got back from watching this with my friends here in 305. And the reactions from everyone in the theater were all over the place, ranging from "this movie sucked" to "masterpiece". As for my personal opinion I say this is a good movie. Really liked the pre world war themes and Japan, which was struggling to catch up to the World.

Now about the not-so-good things...

The MC while clearly being a genius has made some dumb decisions throughout the movie.

The english dub is alright but Joseph Gordon-Levitt felt "meh" as the MC, it's like he didn't even try. Now I of course did not watch it Japanese dubbed yet so I have nothing to compare it to.

The ending, which I will not spoil, you kinda see coming half way through...

7/10 is my final score.
Mar 1, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2013
Absolutely loved this film! It rekindled my childhood love of airplanes and flying. I felt like Jiro was a character I could really relate to. I had mixed feelings about some of the sound effects and the romance subplot wasn't the best I've seen but overall I'd say 9/10 for sense of wonder it filled me with that I haven't felt since I was a child visiting the air force museum for the first time.
Mar 1, 2014 5:47 PM

Apr 2012
It was a generally average film. I went in with high expectations and felt a bit let down. Visually, it felt some what inconsistent. The backdrops were absolutely gorgeous but the animation didn't seem to blend well. It seemed to also have issues when characters at distance would appear disproportionate which I wouldn't expect from a high budget Miyazaki film. The overall story had some serious pacing issues. It's as if it wants you to research the life of Jiro Horikoshi as many scenes and character interactions end abruptly without no exposition. As for the sound, the soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi was just as beautiful as ever. However, one thing that particularly stood out was that there were many scenes where the planes sounded like someone making the effects with his mouth. I'm not quite sure if that was intentional, if that's what 1930s Japanese airplane engines sounded like, or if it was Miyazaki trying to give a small fantasy flare to this more serious film.

I probably would have enjoyed this film more if I had studied the life of Jiro Horikoshi and some pre-war Japanese history, however I have not looked into either of these subjects, so this film feels very underwhelming.

I would recommend waiting to see this film in it's original Japanese audio. There are a lot of instances where the English audio is unsynchronized with the visuals which is something one would not expect from a Touchstone/Disney dub.
DurbikinsMar 1, 2014 6:25 PM
Mar 1, 2014 10:30 PM
Mar 2012
Admittedly enough, I found this to be Miyazaki's best work. The historical aspects, romance, and execution of the story was amazing in every way. I enjoyed the humor and the fact that the movie does not directly tell you everything and instead make you infer what happens. My only complaint though was that the movie ended in the dream world rather than in real life. I felt like if Jirou woke up after that scene and continues on with life, it would create a larger impact.
Mar 2, 2014 9:28 AM

Sep 2012
Can you guys spoil the end for me? I don't wanna see a sad ass movie today, but I was thinking of going to the theater and this was there. You can just spoiler tag it here or message me.
Mar 2, 2014 10:57 AM
Jan 2008
Tengoku_no_hakai said:
Just got back from watching this with my friends here in 305. And the reactions from everyone in the theater were all over the place, ranging from "this movie sucked" to "masterpiece". As for my personal opinion I say this is a good movie. Really liked the pre world war themes and Japan, which was struggling to catch up to the World.

Now about the not-so-good things...

The MC while clearly being a genius has made some dumb decisions throughout the movie.

The english dub is alright but Joseph Gordon-Levitt felt "meh" as the MC, it's like he didn't even try. Now I of course did not watch it Japanese dubbed yet so I have nothing to compare it to.

The ending, which I will not spoil, you kinda see coming half way through...

7/10 is my final score.

I wasn't so thrilled with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's performance as Jiro either, but then again, Hideaki Anno apparently wasn't any better. I will say that JGL is well cast and appropriate sounding, but I didn't enjoy his performance. The real stars of "The Wind Rises" were Martin Short as crotchety Kudokawa, Stanley Tucci as the charismatic Caproni, and Mae Whitman as the sister. Those three were excellent. Everyone else was mostly OK, but they didn't really stand out one way or another. Even though I consider "The Wind Rises" an average dub at best, it's still better than most other rotten dubs out there.

As for the film -- beautifully animated and richly scored as any Miyazaki movie, but also extremely slowgoing and difficult to follow at times. Although I think that may be because I was expecting too much. There were some touching scenes between Jiro and Naoko, and I did enjoy the airplane dream sequences and the Earthquake trainwreck scene. The guy at the hotel with the German accent was fun, as well. Otherwise this is probably my least favorite Miyazaki movie. It still gets my highest rating because the man never ceases to amaze with his craft, but I was expecting more.
Mar 2, 2014 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
i just saw it at the theater, id honestly say this is among miyazaki's best work, it may not be the most climatic and even conventional storyline and delivery but it was a beautiful and touching story about a man following his passion, i adore how they handled the complex themes of how his dreams leads to death and destruction in war by comparing theme to pyramids and how he merely wants to build planes. Its ending while not the most conventional way to end a film was quite a perfect end to a near perfect movie

Im honestly putting this as a 10/10, this is one of the best films ive ever seen

alexpte said:
Admittedly enough, I found this to be Miyazaki's best work. The historical aspects, romance, and execution of the story was amazing in every way. I enjoyed the humor and the fact that the movie does not directly tell you everything and instead make you infer what happens. My only complaint though was that the movie ended in the dream world rather than in real life. I felt like if Jirou woke up after that scene and continues on with life, it would create a larger impact.
i honestly enjoyed how it ended in a dream, i thought it was poetic how ended and his final farewells to his wife, his 10 years started with a dream and his 10 years ends with a dream
JizzyHitlerMar 2, 2014 2:31 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 2, 2014 5:53 PM
Mar 2012
JizzyHitler said:
i honestly enjoyed how it ended in a dream, i thought it was poetic how ended and his final farewells to his wife, his 10 years started with a dream and his 10 years ends with a dream
When you put it that way, I can now see why Miyazaki would end it in such a manner.
Mar 3, 2014 6:13 AM

Jan 2014
A fantastic movie.

Personally I think that it's one of Miyazaki's best works, though I can understand why some people wouldn't like it given the subject matter.
Mar 4, 2014 6:52 PM

Jul 2013
Saw this today in theaters...pretty unremarkable and yet exactly what I've come to expect from Miyazaki at this point.

Gotta love just completely dropping the Secret Police thing and fast forwarding through him designing the engine/cockpit in favour of mediocrely written and forced romance (no I don't care it's based on a true story). Then again when your main character can be summed with simply "love airplanes, is a nice guy, a genius, and loves airplanes" I guess you don't have much to work with. Can't say it's necessarily a bad movie, but it does certainly drag after the hotel stuff.

On a side note, I thought Krasinki and Herzog did a really good job with their roles though.

5/10
Mar 6, 2014 5:45 PM

Apr 2011
i had the most horrible experience watching this in theatres.. it was just so fucking boring

also the dub sucked, joseph gordon levit or whatever didn't change his tone or expression throughout the whole movie and some of the translations seemed like they may not have been as accurate as they could have been

i'm a HUGE miyazaki and ghibli fan but this was just such a disappointment... i guess i was expecting something similar to his other movies and wasn't ready for this type of work from him.

i can definitely appreciate the message and what he was trying to do, but it just wasn't for me.

2/10 for me, i was praying for it to be over every time the screen faded to black.

on the plus side i think i'm now an expert in advanced calculus and aeronautical engineering.
bbmelloMar 7, 2014 8:18 AM
Mar 6, 2014 7:39 PM

Aug 2008
Just watched it today. Without anyone telling me what Miyazaki's message might be, I don't see what he want to transmit and that it deserve 2 hours long. And maybe it would have been better to find a trained seiyuu to voice Jiro than Anno Hideaki... :/ I won't say it was bad, and I haven't seen all the movies made by Miyazaki, but I think this is the movie I have watched that I liked the least coming from Ghibli.
Mar 8, 2014 7:06 AM

Apr 2012
I went in with pretty high expectations but kinda came disappointed from those expectations but still a good movie. It just felt like something overall was just missing but I just can't put my finger on it.

The dub was decent I guess. Joseph's voice throughout the entire movie just felt "flat" to me (if that makes sense). For some odd reason though whenever there was a large crowd of people the people were speaking Japanese so I guess didn't feel the need to dub the crowd or anything like that.

A solid 7/10 for me.
Mar 8, 2014 9:52 PM
Jan 2014
I really liked this movie even though it was slow and not much excitement but there is a lot of positive messages I got from this movie. Sure is not a fantasy movie like his other movies but he really did well in delivering what he wants us to see, "passion and dreams." I still have the same feeling watching this movie as other movies in the past, "melancholy and nostalgia." I've only ever feel this way from watching Miyazaki's movies. Jiro's semi-biography is very admirable, you can really feel his passion for airplanes and love for his wife. Many of us really wish to have such passion for something since we were young and follow through with it. I'm really envious of that passion because it is what I lack when deciding my career choice. Will buy this movie :)
Mar 9, 2014 6:58 PM
Feb 2012
I loved it! To be honest, I agree with the claims that the film should have focused a bit more on the aftermath of the completion of the plane (how it affected Jiro's life, his life after his wife's passing). But nevertheless, it had lots of little moments that stuck a big chord with me (Would you live in a world without pyramids?); as an engineer I can relate so much with Jiro in some ways. In general, this is an amalgamation of all of Miyazaki's work but less oniric and more mature. A solid 9/10 for me, I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray release!
Mar 10, 2014 8:07 PM

Apr 2009
Definitely one of the greatest romances in animation, I could really relate to my own relationship with my gf and could imagine how much of an impact it would have if she had some deadly illness. The backgrounds were gorgeous as usual, and the animation was great, the attention to detail really brought this film to life. It's a 9/10 for me, I think it could've been paced a little better, but overall really great film.
Mar 11, 2014 7:35 PM

Dec 2008
Well... it's fine for me. 6/10
Mar 14, 2014 6:02 PM
Oct 2008
Finally managed to make time to see this in theaters... and while it wasn't his best film I thoroughly enjoyed it ... Looking forward to Kaguya-Hime getting released here

8/10

... Also that song that played in the credits was beautiful I found myself waiting for the screen to go black its a weird feeling knowing that was the last film directed by Miyazaki... even if I particularly didn't enjoy his last two films
Mar 15, 2014 8:58 AM

Jul 2011
What was up with the part with the police looking for Jirou? I didn't quite understand that and it's been bugging me.
Mar 17, 2014 5:36 AM

Jul 2009
I think the underlying flaw of this movie is that it could have very well been delivered as a live action movie as opposed to an animated movie. Don't get me wrong, the animation in this movie is absolutely breathtaking, but how does a realistic, mature, and otherwise down-to-earth story warrant a Studio Ghibli style animation?
stpiioMar 17, 2014 5:40 AM
Mar 25, 2014 10:15 AM

May 2012
What an amazing movie! Just watched this in the cinema's where it was only viable for 3 days! And man was I lucky to make it! It was damn touching from start to end and especially that ending was just so touching that I even cried! I must say Ghibli did it again!!!

A perfect touching story with great animation and art! Well I really hope to see another awesome Ghibli movie in the future!
Mar 29, 2014 11:16 AM

Apr 2008
I found a russian dub, quite good quality, doesn't seem to be camrip, wonder if there already are raws out there
Mar 31, 2014 10:01 AM

Nov 2007
Interesting. The talking is fast and talking keigo even with the family. Main guy, who is voiced by director of Eva, sounds unexpectedly suitable. A journey to being a designer of the planes, instead of being a pilot, ever since meeting a popular German guy in the dream. With little love story.
tsubasaloverMar 31, 2014 11:14 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 2, 2014 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
Reading all these comment I hope I could see it in the theaters too but it won't get released here....
Apr 11, 2014 12:06 PM

Oct 2009
It was good. Really sad for them both.
Apr 25, 2014 3:09 PM

Aug 2011
Great movie with wonderful storytelling, music and art. Thank you Miyazaki. 10/10
May 1, 2014 6:17 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Absolutely beautiful film if you remove all the political connotations you might have. The art, animation are nothing short of astonishing. Miyazaki makes another cracker for his swansong.

Of course MAL'ers will not give this the top score it deserves because there's no mahou shoujo, not enough screen time for the imouto and the drama while present is not forced up the audiences throat : "CRY; CRY"...
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 3, 2014 6:20 AM

Nov 2009
Suzie said:
I didn't like it at all. It was long and boring (and I usually like those movies where not too much stuff happens...) but it just wasn't interesting in the least to me. I also thought the main guy's voice was horrible and he had no emotion whatsoever the whole time. Like 'oh. an earthquake. oh noes.'
Sure the animation was good, but it was just your average Ghibli animation style. Nothing special or innovative.

THIS.

The movie felt so rushed in the beginning and unnecessarily long in the second half. It just never clicked for me.
May 9, 2014 2:38 PM

Oct 2009
Just saw this in the cinemas and I'm happy I went. To see this on a big screen is really something else. Not Miyazaki's best work, but I don't think it was supposed to be 'amazing'. It's more down to earth if anything. Sadly, Anno's voice acting wasn't top notch. I really couldn't tell Jiro's age at the point of the earthquake anymore. It all sounded the same. It also felt kind of rushed, the story went a little bit too fast for me. Maybe I gotta see it another time to really understand what's going on and understand the pacing. The animation was flawless though.

I also loved the fact that human voices are used as sound effects.
AuroraeMay 10, 2014 9:07 AM
May 10, 2014 9:36 AM
Jan 2008
Aurorae said:
Just saw this in the cinemas and I'm happy I went. To see this on a big screen is really something else. Not Miyazaki's best work, but I don't think it was supposed to be 'amazing'. It's more down to earth if anything. Sadly, Anno's voice acting wasn't top notch. I really couldn't tell Jiro's age at the point of the earthquake anymore. It all sounded the same.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt fared just as badly, IMO, in the dub, which I felt brought it down drastically, despite the excellent performances by Whitman, Short, Tucci and Hertzog.
May 10, 2014 6:57 PM

Feb 2012
Absolutely beautiful. Has the magic finally ended? I would love to see another Miyazaki movie.
And surely i will watch this again, and again and again.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» its the 10th year anniversary

mydaddy - Jul 20, 2023

2 by Izuella »»
Jul 20, 2023 4:02 PM

» In Defense of The Wind Rises

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Jun 4, 2017

8 by Valyrian1124 »»
Feb 20, 2023 10:52 PM

» Hideaki Anno is the best VA of all time.

2shizukasensei88 - Jun 7, 2020

2 by Nikiforova »»
Jun 7, 2020 5:53 AM

» What the fuck @ Hideaki Anno?

Yayoe - Dec 19, 2017

1 by BlackJoe23 »»
Apr 8, 2018 1:48 PM

» Omae wa mou shindeiru!

WhatToKnow - Sep 25, 2017

1 by misjebaka8D »»
Oct 18, 2017 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.