Forum Settings
Forums

Can a persons enjoyment of a show really be "ruined" by spoilers?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Jul 21, 2013 2:20 AM

EVAMAAKU14 said:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Dude just let me know what your are spoiling next time.......I'm so mad right now.

Jul 21, 2013 2:22 AM

johnyjohny said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
Shingeki no Kyojin
Dude just let me know what your are spoiling next time.......I'm so mad right now.

The price of curiosity lol
Modified by Ntaig, Jul 21, 2013 2:28 AM

Jul 21, 2013 2:26 AM

No. It can decrease the amount of impact felt by an event, though. Such as an emotional character death.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub

Jul 21, 2013 2:34 AM

Only bitter, malicious dick-holes spoil important parts of good shows. They are psychopaths that must be stopped and have their internets revoked.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.

Jul 21, 2013 2:35 AM

For me not knowing and being surprised is part of the experience. That is why I avoid manga spoilers. I tend to not watch the anime if I had already read its source material. Sure you can still enjoy it to an extent but the experience is just not the same. So spoilers in general are a big no no for me

Jul 21, 2013 2:35 AM

Spoiling Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni would really piss me off.

Jul 21, 2013 2:52 AM

This sounds like "Do people die if you kill them?" ......
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me

Jul 21, 2013 2:56 AM

I actually like spoilers most of the time, I don't want to know everything but often being spoiled is what makes me want to watch something, I also like know if MC dies in the end, so I can avoid those kind of series. When it comes to source material I usually stop reading and switch to anime and I have mixed experience so far. I've read Kuragehime before airing and that didn't stopped me from enjoying it from beginning to end, same with Antique Bakery and Black Lagoon, but SnK throws me off a lot, perhaps it's a matter of how the source material is executed and not so much the actual content that makes me mind or don't mind certain things.

Jul 21, 2013 3:03 AM

Learning that Armin was a futa made SnK better for me. IDK, that's just my personal experience.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 21, 2013 4:20 AM
I would generally not be spoiled, but I take it easy when it happens.

Jul 21, 2013 4:51 AM

Ntaig said:
johnyjohny said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
Shingeki no Kyojin

Kheeeheh. >:)
Modified by EVAMAAKU14, Jul 28, 2013 11:20 AM

Jul 21, 2013 5:45 AM

A good show won't become a bad show just because it was spoiled. A good show is a good show. BUT if you get spoiled then it just takes away the fun of the unexpected.
So it doesn't ruin the anime but it can ruin your enjoyment.
If i have a good show spoiled for me then i still recognize that what i watch is great and am happy seeing it, but something that could have made me jump up and down in my bed when i see happening now it just makes me feel calmly nice. It simply diminishes the enjoyment factor.

Jul 21, 2013 5:55 AM

It doesn't really affect me, because I usually simply forget the spoiler when watching, and spoilers somehow have absolutely no effect at me. Example: When I was watching Code Geass, a stupid friend of mine spoiled all that happened at the entire anime, I mean EVERYTHING, and it was still all fresh new and epic when I watched.

Jul 21, 2013 6:02 AM

wukp said:
Deepens of a spoiler some might even make you enjoy it even more some will made you enjoy anime less. I personally try to avoid spoilers.

The same goes for me. I try to avoid spoilers but in a few cases the spoiler is what made me give something a chance.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jul 21, 2013 6:10 AM
It doesn't affect me. My friends like to spoil, but i still enjoy to watch that anime.

Jul 21, 2013 8:46 AM

It does they're called spoilers cause they spoil things, I hate watching something knowing what comes next.

Jul 21, 2013 10:42 AM

Depends. Though you can argue that it helps see how the series got to said spoiler and if there was sufficient build-up etc.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka

Jul 21, 2013 10:57 AM

For me it depends but generally no. I knew the ending of Berserk already and I still enjoyed it a lot. I knew the ending to School Days but I still watched it just for that. Seeing is different then just reading about it to, so that's probably why.

Jul 21, 2013 11:08 AM

Spoilers have never ruined anything for me.

I always beg for more information about a show, book, anime, movie etc. it makes me excited and want to watch/read something as soon as possible x3

Jul 21, 2013 12:55 PM

Depends on the type of anime, and the nature of the spoiler. Like, I hate being spoiled for a mystery series because it takes away the enjoyment. I think it's usually best to go as unspoiled as possible, because it makes the show more surprising, and the plot twists more imo enjoyable. (I watched School Days not knowing about the nice boat ending, just that the show was infamous. I think it made the ending more impactful because I didn't see it coming.)

Jul 21, 2013 1:22 PM

This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

Jul 21, 2013 1:34 PM

Yes. Some shows have their enjoyment based on twists, and if those get spoiled, the enjoyment is ruined.

Jul 21, 2013 1:42 PM
It depends on how much the show relies on twists.

Jul 21, 2013 1:47 PM

Knowing what's going to happen next takes out the surprise/twist factor, which in many anime's cases, are what makes them so memorable.

Jul 21, 2013 1:57 PM

gamer2710 said:
Depends on the series.
True but for this one I was spoiled and still enjoyed it but then again I'm one of the odd ones that liked the pre-spoiler stuff.

Jul 21, 2013 3:34 PM

I hate spoilers more than I hate life itself. I'll pass on watching an anime for several hours knowing what "big" thing will end up happening.

Yes, even though some spoilers are good enough to not ruin anything, but gain my interest in watching an anime.

It's generally more of a loss than a win for me overall. So I'd rather avoid them all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 21, 2013 3:37 PM

@Solo_Remnants
LOL you hate life.

Jul 21, 2013 5:43 PM

If I'm getting bored by an anime then I actually search around for spoilers to see if it gets better. However, fillers may ruin some shows by taking away the element of surprise. For example: If someone spoiled code geass for me I would have been pissed!

Aug 11, 2013 8:40 PM
lupadim said:
It doesn't really affect me, because I usually simply forget the spoiler when watching, and spoilers somehow have absolutely no effect at me. Example: When I was watching Code Geass, a stupid friend of mine spoiled all that happened at the entire anime, I mean EVERYTHING, and it was still all fresh new and epic when I watched.

This though in some shows it ruins it, but usually it don't effect me.

Aug 11, 2013 9:00 PM

It depends really. If a friend tells you about a funny scene of an anime, it would still be funny if you watch. Where as if he spoils the plot twist of the show, such as Steins Gate, then it really does ruin the experience.

Aug 11, 2013 9:31 PM
Doesn't really matter with me though I cannot speak for everyone else.

Before starting an anime, I personally like to go through the last episode discussion of the series and check the reactions.
If it is mostly filled with negative responses, I would drop the anime and move on to a new one. It does limit my anime possibilities but it's better than facing a disappointing end. That is what I find to be the positive aspect of spoilers, knowing negative endings of an anime so you can avoid it.

Aug 11, 2013 9:42 PM

depend on the spoiler. If the spoiler is about crucial things in the series, that's gonna ruin my enjoyment

Aug 12, 2013 3:10 AM

I think it does because if you know what's going to happen then it takes the excitement and fun out of I wonder what will happen next I would think most people would want to come up with their own ideas about what's happening or going to happen and then finding out if t is or not while watching the show

Aug 22, 2013 8:08 AM

You can say that happened to me with Clannad.
Seriously, people can't stop talking about it, and therefore I am told everything that happened because of this. It's now wonder I didn't cry at anything.
Love can make a Yuri couple moe.

Aug 22, 2013 8:13 AM

sometimes little spoilers make me want to see it more, but when someone constantly tells me spoilers is when i get angry. I totally hate when someone tells me the ending of anything before I've seen it, i don't even like to here the names of babies before I've seen them.

Aug 22, 2013 8:23 AM

Depends on what impact the spoiler has for the story. If one were to spoil solely the main objective/ending of the story it would definitely have a negative effect. Worst kinds of spoils would have to be certain deaths that are important for the story. One wouldn't enjoy the scene if you know what comes. you are just sitting there waiting for it.. but minor spoils rarely have a major impact on the series. As for my own personal opinion i like to not know anything about the series before i start and try to avoid any spoiler.

Aug 22, 2013 8:45 AM
i don't have any problem with it.
usually i always read or watch spoilers

Aug 22, 2013 10:31 AM
If I'm under the impression that a character dies, then I see a spoiler-picture/gif of that character set after the episode, it makes me comfortable.

Asuka Langely, for example. Thought she died in Eva 2.0, but the preview for 3.0 + pictures of her wearing an eyepatch proved otherwise, which gave me hope.

Aug 22, 2013 10:52 AM

I actually look p spoilers for most series that i watch.

Aug 23, 2013 11:53 AM

I don't think it can ever ruin something for me even if it was a major event.

I never understood when someone stops watching a show or reading a book because the ending was spoiled for them. Maybe put it off until you're frustrations gone but totally quit? There's still a million nuances, how will go down, how will it effect others,what back round music and lighting with it have or word choice if it's a book. If all it really had gong for it was the suspense isn't that a gimmick?

That said I can think of shows I loved because something in it caught me so off guard. And had I known it wouldn't of affected me the same. So knowing can lessen my enjoyment but not ruin.

Aug 23, 2013 11:58 AM

Depends on how serious the spoilers are, like if they told someone their favorite anime character will die or so, most likely the impression of the anime towards the watcher will drop.

Aug 23, 2013 12:15 PM

I'm gonna watch Clannad After Story pretty soon.

I'll let you know if my enjoyment was ruined or not.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

Aug 23, 2013 1:01 PM

only sometimes. but a lot of the time it can actually increase enjoyment. like how in Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare told everyone they died at the end in the first monologue.

Aug 23, 2013 1:05 PM

I loathe spoilers with a passion.

Aug 23, 2013 1:14 PM

I have read plays and books in which the authors actually relied on letting the reader in on the results beforehand. One notable example is "Mother Courage and Her Children" by Bertold Brecht.

"The commander dies."
According to Brecht, it's not what happened, it's how.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]