Forum Settings
Forums

Anime 'Bodacious Space Pirates' and Manga 'Hoshi wo Tsugu Mono' Win Seiun Award 2013

New
Jul 20, 2013 5:05 AM

Sep 2012
The 52nd Japan Science Fiction Convention was held on July 20th and the winners of this year's 44th Seiun Award were announced. Bodacious Space Pirates and Hoshi wo Tsugu Mono won the best media and the best comic of the year, respectively.

Seiun Award is one of the most authoritative science fiction awards in Japan. The candidates are selected from the sci-fi works completed in the previous year and the winners are chosen by the votes of the attendees of the Japan Science Fiction Convention.

The full results, which include domestic and foreign science fiction and short story, can be found in the official website of Seiun Award:
http://www.sf-fan.gr.jp/awards/2013result.html

Ref. The Nomination List of Seiun Award 2013

Best Media
Bodacious Space Pirates
Iron Sky
Marvel's The Avengers
009 Re:Cyborg
Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo
Rinne no Lagrange
Eureka Seven AO

Best Comic
Tetsuwan Birdy Evolution
Hoshi wo Tsugu Mono
The Next Sheet of MAPS
Himitsu: Top Secret
Otomo Katsuhiro Artwork Kaba 2
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Mahou Sensei Negima

Last year, the best media and the best comic awards were won by Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica and Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin respectively.

Source: Official website of Seiun Award
myanimelistllcMar 12, 2016 6:57 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 20, 2013 5:09 AM

Jan 2012
Damn, i've had Bodacious space pirates on hold for quite some time now, should get around to watching it.
Congrats for them winning though!!
Jul 20, 2013 5:10 AM

Sep 2012
Really love the science fiction manga by Hoshino Yukinobu (whose adaptation of the scifi Inherit the Star won the Seiun Award this year), particularly the artwork that conveys sense of wonder really well.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 20, 2013 5:13 AM

Feb 2010
jugann said:
Damn, i've had Bodacious space pirates on hold for quite some time now, should get around to watching it.
I dropped it though. Was it really worth the watch?
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jul 20, 2013 5:24 AM

Apr 2008
Cashdaxxx said:
jugann said:

It was entertaining... I wouldn't say it's award winning though.
Leader of Whiteout Scans
Current project: ReLIFE
Jul 20, 2013 5:33 AM

May 2012
Congratulations, Bodacious Space Pirates! ^_^

I appreciated the story for what it is and not what other people expected it to be.
Jul 20, 2013 5:35 AM
Sep 2011
I can see why Bodacious Space Pirates won the science fiction award. It spent a lot of time exploring its setting and explaining battle tactics (which probably scared away some viewers) and especially the political aspects were really interesting.
Jul 20, 2013 6:33 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Pawnty said:
Cashdaxxx said:
jugann said:

I think it was pretty award winning worthy though. It was not pretentious which other series like Psycho Pass seem to suffer slightly from.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 20, 2013 7:06 AM

Aug 2010
I'm really glad Bodacious Space Pirates won, it may not have been an outstanding anime, but I think they did a good job with the sci-fi elements most of the time.

Edit: wording.
Mogami-kunJul 20, 2013 11:30 AM
Jul 20, 2013 7:14 AM

Feb 2007
Eudaimonia said:
I can see why Bodacious Space Pirates won the science fiction award. It spent a lot of time exploring its setting and explaining battle tactics (which probably scared away some viewers) and especially the political aspects were really interesting.

Yeah, I was surprised to read this news at first, but they did quite a good work on the sci-fi part of the series, so I can see how it could win this award. Especially with these nominees.
Jul 20, 2013 7:35 AM

Feb 2011
It's not anime-related but... Holy shit, Iron Sky is in there? These people have good taste.
Jul 20, 2013 7:37 AM
Jun 2011
Glad seeing Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Mahou Sensei Negima! in there.
Jul 20, 2013 7:38 AM

Nov 2008
Rinne no Lagrange <3

I'm surprised that The Avengers is in the Best Media category. Japan has good taste in Western Superheroes.

Jul 20, 2013 7:58 AM

Aug 2011
This is why we need Mouretsu Pirates season 2 to go along with the movie, make it happen, Japan.

Lol'd at Eureka Seven AO being nominated.
Jul 20, 2013 8:06 AM

Sep 2008
Pawnty said:
Cashdaxxx said:
jugann said:

It was entertaining, except that filer arc at end of the series.

mitch3315 said:

Lol'd at Eureka Seven AO being nominated.
SacredusJul 20, 2013 8:09 AM
Jul 20, 2013 8:39 AM

Nov 2011
Oh grats to the winners. I'm also looking forward to the Bodacious Space Pirates movie to debut soon.
Jul 20, 2013 9:12 AM

Nov 2008
was Bodacious Space Pirates really that good to win an award?
Jul 20, 2013 9:27 AM

Apr 2011
I watched the first episode recently just when I was bored and going through a bunch of series first eps just to get an idea of what they are like. I have to admit I was surprised, I expected tons of dumb fan service. Basically Moe' Pirates in SPACE! It reminded me more of all those 90s sci-fi anime, and I will eventually go back and finish it. I gotta say I judged it by my first impression of its cover/poster, and it misslead me. I think people who like stuff like Mighty Birdy ext, would probably enjoy this. Not award winning from what i could tell though..
Jul 20, 2013 9:31 AM

Sep 2012
It's not like Bodacious Space Pirates had much competition.....
Jul 20, 2013 9:50 AM

Apr 2008
WTF is Eureka Seven AO doing there?!
Jul 20, 2013 9:55 AM

Mar 2013
Bodacious Space Pirates?
the last chapters were entertaining but, I don't like much :/
Jul 20, 2013 10:53 AM

Mar 2011
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I watched the first episode recently just when I was bored and going through a bunch of series first eps just to get an idea of what they are like. I have to admit I was surprised, I expected tons of dumb fan service. Basically Moe' Pirates in SPACE! It reminded me more of all those 90s sci-fi anime, and I will eventually go back and finish it. I gotta say I judged it by my first impression of its cover/poster, and it misslead me. I think people who like stuff like Mighty Birdy ext, would probably enjoy this. Not award winning from what i could tell though..

In that show theres don't have any fanservice even panty shots.
Jul 20, 2013 10:56 AM

Sep 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I watched the first episode recently just when I was bored and going through a bunch of series first eps just to get an idea of what they are like. I have to admit I was surprised, I expected tons of dumb fan service. Basically Moe' Pirates in SPACE!
It seems you cannot tell fan service and moe apart. It is indeed Moe Pirate in Space but there is no fanservice.

Jul 20, 2013 11:34 AM

Oct 2009
Moretsu may be lighthearted in its story, but the sci-fi aspect of it is something that I am applaud of.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jul 20, 2013 11:50 AM

Aug 2011
Wow. Who the hell decides this stuff?
Jul 20, 2013 12:01 PM

Aug 2012
I've always thought of Bodacious Space Pirates as a really mixed bag, the sci-fi elements in it are superb, they are surprisingly realistic but that moe and the overall plot........arg why?!

I wish the whole series was more like the ep4 or thereabout (when the girls take their yacht for a spin and get into a tough situation) those couple episodes were the best. I think the award is well deserved just for those couple episodes, because you seldom find these kind of things in anime.
Jul 20, 2013 12:08 PM

Oct 2007
Reverb_Shock said:

I don't know I found 009:Recyborg pretty solid, but yeah in general I can sort of see why it would win in what I guess functions for a pool. I personally found it to be pretty lousy although I never managed to finish it. It's not cause of the moe though, it's just because of how boring the execution on everything felt and that the plot was excruciatingly dull and uninteresting. The cast almost felt robotic in carrying out their tasks about the ship making it those sequences tedious and dispassionate while the scenes outside of the ship didn't really do that much for me either. LOGH by comparison does a lot of similar things but manages to make it all extremely interesting including both the long strategy meetings and chain of command being carried out aboard the ships as well as the sequences and goings on outside of the fleet battles that never feel wasted and always serve to develop the characters in the scenes in some fashion. I was never bored and disinterested watching that show like I was with Space Pirates.

Personally I see this result as little more than a sign of continuing decline and struggles of sci-fi anime as it's essence becomes distilled by repeated attempts to combine it with other types of appeal which seemed to play into the nomination process for these awards. To be honest I'm not sure the pool in question actually represented the best possible cross-section of Sci-Fi anime offerings from 2012 though. Like no Shin Sekai Yori and Psycho-Pass for starters to name just one example? Also I can't really take all that seriously a list that includes both Rinne no Lagrange and Eureka Seven Ao as both were kind of a mess of soft sci-fi concepts at best and executed VERY poorly. Especially the latter. I don't know much about the Seiun awards but I can't really take it very seriously as a sci-fi fan this year? Are there any past results that can be shared here?
PeacingOutJul 20, 2013 12:23 PM
Jul 20, 2013 12:57 PM

May 2012
I think people should read the first post and then go to the links provided to understand how the awards work.

@Kaioshin_Sama: Shin Sekai Yori and Psycho-Pass weren't finished in 2012 so they were not eligible. Maybe next year if they are nominated.
zenjamibuJul 20, 2013 1:24 PM
Jul 20, 2013 1:06 PM

Dec 2012
DraconisMarch said:

symbv said:
Seiun Award is one of the most authoritative science fiction awards in Japan. The candidates are selected from the sci-fi works completed in the previous year and the winners are chosen by the votes of the attendees of the Japan Science Fiction Convention.

There you go.

Also, wtf, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a Sci-fi?
Jul 20, 2013 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
Wow. Bodacious Space Pirates is awesome, but I never expected it to win an award..... Congratulations on them winning, though!

Stark700 said:
Oh grats to the winners. I'm also looking forward to the Bodacious Space Pirates movie to debut soon.

So am I! It's the #1 thing I'll be looking forward to in 2014!
Jul 20, 2013 2:07 PM

Apr 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Japan being Japan again, haven't forgotten and will not forget SAO winning best original story in another award anytime soon.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 20, 2013 3:42 PM
Dec 2012
Still need to finish Bodacious Space Pirates. One day I will.

And lagrange I liked the first season but the second it was decent.

Though congrats on them awards I guess.
Jul 20, 2013 3:57 PM

Oct 2007
sushi55 said:
Darklight0303 said:

Japan being Japan again, haven't forgotten and will not forget SAO winning best original story in another award anytime soon.

I think you might be thinking of Accel World. It won the grand prize for best original idea in a contest to get a publishing contract for a Light Novel series back in 2008.

e: Actually no wait you're right it did pick up a Tokyo Anime Award for TV anime though judging by what's won in the past I think it has more to do with how much revenue they generated for the industry versus any sort of critical evaluation. For that sort of thing you're better off looking at the Japan Media Arts Awards sponsored by the Ministry of Cultural affairs as that is flat out stated to be awarded to works of cultural significance and expression as opposed to popularity and achievements in monetary gain.
PeacingOutJul 20, 2013 4:03 PM
Jul 20, 2013 4:09 PM

Nov 2010
@Kaioshin_sama Why would you compare it with LOGH anyway? It's clear that even getting something comparable to that in... say, once for 10 years is already a good news.

Well,congrats for BSP. This year should have better competition with PP, SnY, Gargantia, etc floating around :p
Jul 20, 2013 6:31 PM
Oct 2012
Randex_Uesato said:
Still need to finish Bodacious Space Pirates. One day I will.

And lagrange I liked the first season but the second it was decent.

Though congrats on them awards I guess.

Last year wasn't exactly a banner year of SF animation. BSP had some decent arcs, 1-10 were pretty good, and the final 3 were an excellent end to the series, the middle episodes though, some of them were really, truly bad. Stretching this show into 26 episodes was a weakness.

But that said, it had good science, so no matter what the faults you have to give them credit for working that into the show.
Jul 20, 2013 6:43 PM

Apr 2011
symbv said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I watched the first episode recently just when I was bored and going through a bunch of series first eps just to get an idea of what they are like. I have to admit I was surprised, I expected tons of dumb fan service. Basically Moe' Pirates in SPACE!
It seems you cannot tell fan service and moe apart. It is indeed Moe Pirate in Space but there is no fanservice.

Eh, like I said I only saw the first episode but it didn't exactly seem like moe' just teenage girl characters. Maybe stuff like K-On has made me lessen my opinion of what is and isn't moe'.
Jul 20, 2013 6:59 PM
Apr 2011
Im in the middle of watching BSP. I think it deserves the award!
Jul 20, 2013 7:04 PM
Oct 2010
lol @ eureka 7 and re cyborg
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jul 20, 2013 7:30 PM
Sep 2009
Name always cracks me up...Bodacious Space Pirates. A+
Jul 20, 2013 7:33 PM

Jun 2008
Didnt' quite expect Moretsu Pirates to win. I liked it but any story that involves the Space Yacht Club was very dull and boring, other than that, it's SPACE PIRATES.

I was kinda disappointed that they didn't used the original character designs though. Was too generic for my taste, needs to be flashier.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 20, 2013 7:39 PM

Mar 2012
DraconisMarch said:
ur mom. huehuehuehuehue
Jul 20, 2013 10:06 PM

Sep 2009
I enjoyed Mouretsu Pirates...wouldn't mind having more shows like it.
Jul 20, 2013 10:38 PM

Jul 2012
that's cool.

It really does depress me though that the last hard sci-fi anime that i last saw is named Bodacious Space Pirates.

Still waiting for anime to break out of its soft sci-fi craze, but I guess it's bothersome to explain warp cores if you can just say "it's the will of the force" when they do expository dialogue.
Jul 20, 2013 11:19 PM

Jul 2011
Reverb_Shock said:

True... Like... 009 Re: Cyborg? Really? (That movie was soo disappointing.)

But Mouretsu Pirates is a real hate or love anime. What I love about it foremost though is that even though it's mostly female characters, there is no ecchi/fanservice at all. Saying that... I didn't feel like it was an award winner. I guess the competition was just worse.

Does that mean season 2?
Jul 20, 2013 11:24 PM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's not cause of the moe though, it's just because of how boring the execution on everything felt and that the plot was excruciatingly dull and uninteresting. The cast almost felt robotic in carrying out their tasks about the ship making it those sequences tedious and dispassionate while the scenes outside of the ship didn't really do that much for me either. LOGH by comparison does a lot of similar things but manages to make it all extremely interesting including both the long strategy meetings and chain of command being carried out aboard the ships as well as the sequences and goings on outside of the fleet battles that never feel wasted and always serve to develop the characters in the scenes in some fashion. I was never bored and disinterested watching that show like I was with Space Pirates.
To be honest, I find Pirates to hook more of my attention and interest than LOGH - no, seriously I mean that. That said, LOGH does have the space to pan out the details which would be impossible to do for a midnight TV series like Pirates. That much I would agree.

Kaioshin_Sama said:

I don't know much about the Seiun awards but I can't really take it very seriously as a sci-fi fan this year? Are there any past results that can be shared here?
Do you take Hugo Award seriously? Seiun Award is like Hugo Award in America as it is voted by convention attendees. You may not want to take it seriously, but I would pay it certain respect given its tradition and provenance. As for past results, I guess you have not even tried to click on those links I so considerately put in my first post... I am disappointed.

sushi55 said:
Pretty irresponsible comment, if I do not agree with the Tony award winner or Oscar winner, should I say America being America again ??
symbvJul 20, 2013 11:30 PM

Jul 21, 2013 2:37 AM

Jun 2010
Why? Space Pirates sucked ass.
Jul 21, 2013 6:40 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
symbv said:
To be honest, I find Pirates to hook more of my attention and interest than LOGH - no, seriously I mean that. That said, LOGH does have the space to pan out the details which would be impossible to do for a midnight TV series like Pirates. That much I would agree.

Well, ironically, LOGH novels were also a Seiun Awards winner. I personally think that they both well deserve it.

2014 will be a tough year. We have Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, Psycho Pass, Shinsekai Yori, etc. A pretty strong SF year.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 21, 2013 7:10 AM

Apr 2012
woah!! Bodacious Space Pirates!! :D
well, it really is such a good anime.. it do deserves an award~

Jul 21, 2013 7:13 AM

Jul 2010
zenjamibu said:
Congratulations, Bodacious Space Pirates! ^_^

I appreciated the story for what it is and not what other people expected it to be.

Exactly. What the story actually was, was good SF. That is why it won the award.

And for those that are doubting the legitimacy of the award for whatever reason, this is the Japanese Nebula Awards. The Nebula awards are one of the two top science fiction awards in the US, and this is the Japanese equivalent. If you go to the website posted by the OP, you will find that google translates the page as the Nebula award page. Any award voted on by members of a country's Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers organization is legit!
zensunniJul 21, 2013 7:20 AM
Jul 21, 2013 7:22 AM
Jul 2013
I'd think that the reason why many people dropped Bodacious Space Pirates was because it was aimed to the wrong audience. The story was good and stuff, but I would think that there would be a ton of fanservice.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
15 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

22 by ZXEAN »»
5 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
9 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.