Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you believe could've been a masterpiece, but messed up?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Oct 23, 2013 11:50 AM

Apr 2013
ChunTales said:
Sword Art Online
- The first episode had a lot of potential with the story and characters and the beautiful animation and amazing soundtrack just added to the epic experience of an MMORPG. However, throughout the series, the story just falls apart. The following few episodes seemed like a harem as one episode would revolve around a female that was never really emphasized later on, making it seem just like a useless episode. Also, the main female lead's relationship with the main character just seemed like an unrealistic and forced relationship. The first half of the series was okay, but definitely could've been much better in terms of story and characters. The second half was much more disappointing from the extremely flawed story, ridiculous villain, and weird love relationship with his sister. The overall series just felt like a missed opportunity.

Code Geass R2
- R2, in my opinion, was not as great as R1. The good qualities about R2 was definitely the ending, animation, and backstory of some of the characters. However, the strategic element of the series did not seem as fleshed out as it was in R1. In R1, you really had no idea what the outcome of some of the battles were gonna be and really was a clash between wit and reflexes. Yet in R2, most of the battles just seemed to have just sheer force involved through the use overpowered abilities. Also, some characters sometimes went through complete 180 when it came to development such as with Lelouch and Suzaku and some new characters weren't as interesting or well developed. By the end, it was a satisfying and memorable experience, but R2 falls just short from the awesomeness of R1.

Mirai Nikki
- The beginning of the series had a lot of promise. An all out brawl between totally messed up and mentally deranged individuals? Very interesting. A lot of the episodes were very interesting to watch and the female lead was definitely the driving force for the series. However, during the last episodes, it was a bit hit or miss for me. There were some great moments, there were some downright "what the hell" moments. Overall, it was okay, but it could've been much better when it came to the last couple episodes.

Agree about R2, and people here rated it higher than R1 LMFAO
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 23, 2013 1:16 PM

Jun 2013
Death Note- In movies, it ended pretty good. If that ending was in anime, I think it would have been masterpiece with hands-tied.

Code Geass R2- I think the ending was great. But still, middle story sometimes was too hard to understand. I gave it 10, because it is still better than most of the 9's I saw, but compared to R1 it bites the dust.

Mirai Nikki- Like said above, great start, but messed up. Characters were lazy, the only reason I had good impression of that anime was because of yandere character Yuno had. I was on yandere rampage after Higurashi.

Accel World and SAO- If those two weren't anything about romance, but more about action MMORPG, they would have been masterpieces.

Clannad AS- I know they stayed true to it's source and all, but still, that anime needed sad ending. It was really good, but still not good enough..

There were some more, but I can't remember ATM
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Oct 23, 2013 9:22 PM

Jul 2012
Psycho Pass (season 1) - First 18 episodes were so good, but not the ones afterwards
SAO - First few episodes led me to believe it could be amazing, but it didn't
Code Geass - The big event in season 2 with his dad really ruined my score with it and also the excessive fanservice and plotholes
Gosick - Very strong first few episodes, but it got weaker
Durarara - The first half (Celty's story, Shizuo's story) were excellent and kept on making me believe that the second half would be as good
Natsuyuki Rendezvous - I've never sobbed for an anime except for this one. The first four episodes were so well done, but it went downhill from there.
Oct 23, 2013 10:19 PM

Jul 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
Of all the anime in the world that isn't already considered to be perfect or nearly perfect, what anime do you believe has the potential to really become a classic to be remembered forever, but due to some ridiculous circumstance, it failed?

I can't stop thinking about Angel Beats! really. It had amazing animation, an amazing soundtrack, and a fantastic setting, a rich cast of likable characters, but you can easily tell, the anime desperately squandered under the dreaded 13 Episode cap. When the anime looked like it had time for more than thirteen episodes and focused on the character development, it was truly something that could've been a 10/10. The more constrained it got towards the end however, it just fucked up so hard with that inane Shadow plot arc, and the majority of the cast not having any legitimate backstories to be told. It was saved by that ending, but it stumbled so hard...I don't know who fucked it up, or came up with the idea to make it thirteen episodes, but I swear to god I heard it was going to be 24 episodes at one point.

What could've been the best Key animation ever made, is now remembered as their greatest failure.

Brother, reading the title of your thread, this is exactly what i thought.
although i wouldn't exactly call it a failure...

Angel beats was such a roller coaster ride. It was so good and then... it just suddenly rushed out that ending. they did bring out an OVA though, (that random HIGH TENSION!!! ep) so i'm hoping there could be more chances to flesh out the side characters back stories.

they kinda screwed up the TWGOK anime imo, not that the manga is a masterpiece or anything.
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
Oct 24, 2013 5:17 AM

Mar 2013
MoldyCereal said:
Sword Art Online. Excellent premise, flawless animation, amazing battle scenes, and the soundtrack was made by a modern Mozart.

The story and characters on the other hand....

Gotta agree with this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2013 5:34 AM

Oct 2013
Toucanbird said:

Sword Art Online - Let's face it. It had the source material, it had the premise, and it had the production to pull off being a masterpiece. Boy, did it ever fail. The problem I felt with this series had is it tried to cover two arcs in one season when it just needed to stick with the Aincrad arc. I felt the characters needed more development and the Aincrad arc was too fragmented.

The Aincrad arc covered the original volume 1, 4 side stories from volume 2, 1 side story from volume 7 and 1 chapter from Progression series volume 1. They literally dug up everything they could get their hands on that's related to Aincrad. The original Aincrad arc was written for a novel prize, had strict word limits, and can be finished in an anime in 6 episodes.

There simply isn't enough content for an entire 25 episodes season based on Aincrad alone. The original SAO story had very short chapters, and covered only events in the first few hours of the game, and events from level 74 onwards
. I know what you mean though. I'd like there to be more on Aincrad, and that was my impression even from reading the light novels. However, it's simply impossible to correct that "flaw" without significantly modifying the original story.
Oct 24, 2013 5:41 AM

Mar 2008
MoldyCereal said:
Sword Art Online... soundtrack was made by a modern Mozart.

I know this surely wasn't meant literally, yet it irks me oh so much.
Oct 24, 2013 5:48 AM

Apr 2012
Rinth said:
Toucanbird said:

Sword Art Online - Let's face it. It had the source material, it had the premise, and it had the production to pull off being a masterpiece. Boy, did it ever fail. The problem I felt with this series had is it tried to cover two arcs in one season when it just needed to stick with the Aincrad arc. I felt the characters needed more development and the Aincrad arc was too fragmented.

The Aincrad arc covered the original volume 1, 4 side stories from volume 2, 1 side story from volume 7 and 1 chapter from Progression series volume 1. They literally dug up everything they could get their hands on that's related to Aincrad. The original Aincrad arc was written for a novel prize, had strict word limits, and can be finished in an anime in 6 episodes.

There simply isn't enough content for an entire 25 episodes season based on Aincrad alone. The original SAO story had very short chapters, and covered only events in the first few hours of the game, and events from level 74 onwards
. I know what you mean though. I'd like there to be more on Aincrad, and that was my impression even from reading the light novels. However, it's simply impossible to correct that "flaw" without significantly modifying the original story.

If the original content inst enough to be satisficatory and therefore flawed then by all means alter it. Staying true to the original doesnt excuse being shit.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

109 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

46 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 54 minutes ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
3 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.