Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you believe could've been a masterpiece, but messed up?

New
Jul 19, 2013 7:41 PM
Jul 2013
Of all the anime in the world that isn't already considered to be perfect or nearly perfect, what anime do you believe has the potential to really become a classic to be remembered forever, but due to some ridiculous circumstance, it failed?

I can't stop thinking about Angel Beats! really. It had amazing animation, an amazing soundtrack, and a fantastic setting, a rich cast of likable characters, but you can easily tell, the anime desperately squandered under the dreaded 13 Episode cap. When the anime looked like it had time for more than thirteen episodes and focused on the character development, it was truly something that could've been a 10/10. The more constrained it got towards the end however, it just fucked up so hard with that inane Shadow plot arc, and the majority of the cast not having any legitimate backstories to be told. It was saved by that ending, but it stumbled so hard...I don't know who fucked it up, or came up with the idea to make it thirteen episodes, but I swear to god I heard it was going to be 24 episodes at one point.

What could've been the best Key animation ever made, is now remembered as their greatest failure.

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 19, 2013 7:43 PM

Mar 2013
fate/stay night good thing they are making a remake
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 19, 2013 7:45 PM

Feb 2012
Gotta agree with OP. If they fleshed out the main cast, it would have been a perfect anime.

Though Key's greatest failure? Kanon 2002 and Little Busters wants a talk with you.

Also Needless. Could have been TTGL likeness.
Jul 19, 2013 7:45 PM

Feb 2013
Sword Art Online. Excellent premise, flawless animation, amazing battle scenes, and the soundtrack was made by a modern Mozart.

The story and characters on the other hand....
Jul 19, 2013 7:46 PM
Jul 2013
MFKAE86 said:
Gotta agree with OP. If they fleshed out the main cast, it would have been a perfect anime.

Though Key's greatest failure? Kanon 2002 and Little Busters wants a talk with you.

Kanon was rebooted into an amazing anime. Will Angel Beats! get that kind of deal? Probably not...
Jul 19, 2013 7:47 PM
May 2010
Someone's dissing my Angel Beats? That shall not go unnoticed.
Angel Beats 10/10.
Jul 19, 2013 7:48 PM

Feb 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
MFKAE86 said:

Kanon was rebooted into an amazing anime. Will Angel Beats! get that kind of deal? Probably not...

But Kanon 2002 was still crap.
Jul 19, 2013 7:48 PM

Aug 2012
LanaAqua said:
Angel Beats 10/10.
Lana be quiet you haven't watched a REAL masterpiece...
Since you refuse to watch S;G
Jul 19, 2013 7:49 PM
May 2010
Hidden_Joker said:
LanaAqua said:
Angel Beats 10/10.
Lana be quiet you haven't watched a REAL masterpiece...
Since you refuse to watch S;G
Watch SSY.
Then we'll talk.
Jul 19, 2013 7:49 PM

Jun 2012
MoldyCereal said:
Sword Art Online. Excellent premise, flawless animation, amazing battle scenes, and the soundtrack was made by a modern Mozart.

This, I remember I thought it was going to be awesome. Ten episodes in I though otherwise and by the end I was dreading watching it. I only finished it so I could state my honest opinion without others freaking out.

btw I second LanaAqua, Angel Beats was great.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jul 19, 2013 7:51 PM

Oct 2012
MoldyCereal said:

This

Also moe anime can do better. Have actual funny jokes, act like REAL girls, but unfortunately it doesn't happen with the majority.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jul 19, 2013 7:55 PM

Sep 2012
Rosario+Vampire if it followed the manga.
The manga is great, a 9 for me, now mix that great story with pretty good animation and soundtrack. I would have given a 10.
Jul 19, 2013 7:58 PM

Jun 2008
Kuroinu: Kedakaki Seijo wa Hakudaku ni Somaru. Great first episode but what a disappointed that it ended with just two and the second was lukewarm.
TSF Monogatari if they adapted the manga it could have been great but it was rushed and the second episode cut all the good parts.
Jul 19, 2013 7:59 PM

May 2013
Yumekui Merry, Deadman Wonderland, Angel Beats! and many, many more.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 19, 2013 8:07 PM

Mar 2013
MoldyCereal said:

i felt that if they would of given the show a darker feel and maybe made the characters a little more traumatized by what is happening on the inside it would of been a hell of a lot better; because forget what anyone says if this happened to you it would be traumatized you would miss your home you will feel sad when people die. i felt the the show felt too much like no one was taking anything seriously. i mean in the second episode instead of taking the potion and living this guy decided to say a monologue and die.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 19, 2013 8:08 PM

Dec 2012
Angel Beats, Kotoura-san, maybe SAO and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 if it were more stretched out.
Jul 19, 2013 8:12 PM

Aug 2011
MFKAE86 said:

Key didn't fail with either of them though.
Jul 19, 2013 8:13 PM

Jun 2012
Air, the past archive kind of ruined it for me. If it had the original 26 episodes it was supposed to have they could have tied it in nicely.
Jul 19, 2013 8:14 PM

May 2013
I still don't think SAO was a failure at all. Is overhated a such thing?

MEanimaniac1 said:
Air, the past archive kind of ruined it for me. If it had the original 26 episodes it was supposed to have they could have tied it in nicely.
I think it was better to have less episodes. It would have dragged on far too long with 26 episodes.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 19, 2013 8:15 PM

Feb 2012
mitch3315 said:
MFKAE86 said:

Its worded terrible.
Jul 19, 2013 8:16 PM

Aug 2011
MFKAE86 said:
mitch3315 said:
MFKAE86 said:

Its worded terrible.

No matter how you word it, the studio's are the ones who messed up, not Key. Though I don't think you can judge Little Busters! without Refrain.
Jul 19, 2013 8:19 PM

Jul 2013
IntervisioN said:
Angel Beats, Kotoura-san, maybe SAO and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 if it were more stretched out.

Regarding Kotoura-san, please explain to me why you feel that way. I am not trying to be a troll or sarcastic, I generally want to know why you feel that way.
Jul 19, 2013 8:20 PM

Jul 2013
Chaos;Head I think they could've done a much better job most of it just left so much to be desired and it seems like they kind of rushed the whole thing. Did I enjoy it yes, but it could've been better.
Jul 19, 2013 8:37 PM

Sep 2012
seelteam6 said:
Chaos;Head I think they could've done a much better job most of it just left so much to be desired and it seems like they kind of rushed the whole thing. Did I enjoy it yes, but it could've been better.

I think Chaos; Head had a lot of potential, not as a masterpiece but it could've been better.
The first half was pretty good but it went downhill from there.
Jul 19, 2013 8:40 PM

May 2011
DramaEnthusiast said:
MFKAE86 said:

Key isn't an animation studio..........First one was done by Toei, and the reboot was done by KyoAni, LB! was done by JC Staff, you can only judge key from their VNs
Jul 19, 2013 8:44 PM

Mar 2011
Monad said:
Kuroinu: Kedakaki Seijo wa Hakudaku ni Somaru. Great first episode but what a disappointed that it ended with just two and the second was lukewarm.

I ... fuck. So much this. I waited so long for a third episode, only to have my hopes dashed. Where else do I get my orcs???
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Jul 19, 2013 8:48 PM

Dec 2012
If Deadman Wonderland had followed the manga and was a 26, it could have been really good, but maybe not a masterpiece. Berserk was masterpiece level up until the ending, which was shit. I think Berserk would go from like a 9.5/10 to a full 10/10 if the ending were better. SAO built up a really interesting world, but kind of fell apart by episode 3, and was a disaster by episode 14.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jul 19, 2013 9:23 PM

Jun 2011
MoldyCereal said:

Exactly..
Jul 19, 2013 9:32 PM

May 2012
CNile said:
Berserk was masterpiece level up until the ending, which was shit. I think Berserk would go from like a 9.5/10 to a full 10/10 if the ending were better.

Berserk just followed its source material. What's wrong with that?
Jul 19, 2013 9:36 PM

Mar 2013
Nihilfist said:
CNile said:
Berserk was masterpiece level up until the ending, which was shit. I think Berserk would go from like a 9.5/10 to a full 10/10 if the ending were better.

i have never seen it but i have been told the series ended on a giant cliff hanger because they wanted to make a second season but the second season never came

Jul 19, 2013 9:41 PM

May 2012
mattbenz99 said:
Nihilfist said:
CNile said:

i have never seen it but i have been told the series ended on a giant cliff hanger because they wanted to make a second season but the second season never came

Well I don't think they ever actually had a second season planned. They just made the first season as an intro/advertisement for the manga. Changing the ending would've contradicted the reason why they adapted the manga into an anime in the first place.
Jul 19, 2013 9:42 PM

Apr 2013
Psycho-Pass

Crazy good first 17 episodes than it got slow paced and boring in the last arc.
Jul 19, 2013 9:43 PM

Mar 2013
Nihilfist said:
mattbenz99 said:
Nihilfist said:
CNile said:

Well I don't think they ever actually had a second season planned. They just made the first season as an intro/advertisement for the manga. Changing the ending would've contradicted the reason why they adapted the manga into an anime in the first place.

still as a stand alone series the berserk anime from what i heard had a bad ending but as i have already said i cant go into detail because i have never seen it

Jul 19, 2013 9:43 PM

Jan 2013
Shiki's ending. Sword Art Online definitely. Angel Beats bandwagon.
Jul 19, 2013 9:46 PM

Mar 2011
Guilty Crown
Jul 19, 2013 10:28 PM

Jul 2013
I have to agree that Angel Beat's could have been pretty memorable if they had just kept the structure from beginning.

Meaning that each episode consist of character's background and him/her being able to move on.

Instead of that most of the show is spent on focusing one character that no one gives shit about and things that revolve around that character.
Jul 19, 2013 10:30 PM

Jul 2013
MoldyCereal said:
amazing battle scenes
Yes. All three of them.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 19, 2013 10:31 PM

Sep 2012
Kuruwin said:
Instead of that most of the show is spent on focusing one character that no one gives shit about and things that revolve around that character.
So.. you're upset because it had a main character?

Jul 19, 2013 10:32 PM

Jul 2007
I would have given Mai HiME a 9 if the ending had been just satisfactory. A great ending would have put it at 10. Instead, we get one of the worst asspulls of an ending in modern anime and it forces me to drop it to a 7 despite everything it did right before then.

FMA: Brotherhood could have been a 10 as well, but I felt they dragged out the ending far too long and I lost interest enough that I was just glad for it to be over when it was.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 19, 2013 10:32 PM

Jul 2013
Red_Keys said:
Kuruwin said:
So.. you're upset because it had a main character?

It still would have had main character if you remove Kanade (Angel)
Jul 19, 2013 10:42 PM

Dec 2012
SAO is definitely the first thing that came to mind. Personally I feel it could have been a masterpiece if they scrapped ALO and focused on getting us immersed into Aincrad for a full 25 episodes. Remove the harem side stories, focus on boss fights and the the game world's politics (PKer conspiracies and perhaps different guilds warring for resources, etc etc) and serious character development - you know, instead of making a certain someone a trophy for 10+ episodes.
Jul 19, 2013 11:03 PM

Mar 2013
SAO-Don't need to explain. it's been explained well enough already

Fate/Zero-It would have been better if the ending didn't involving Fate/stay night (bad memories)

Code Geass-1st season good, 2nd season they did a 180 on all the best stuff, the ending salvaged the series (my opinion)
Jul 19, 2013 11:09 PM

Sep 2011
zetsuen no tempest, it should have kept its dark tone, intellectual situations and twists, as well as the lingering hints of a tragic event incomming instead of adding the light hearted tone of the 2nd had far form bad but episode 1-12 had the potential to be something special while after that took a few steps back

dangan ronpa: 13 episodes, enough said, this is why i think nine times out of ten 11-13 episodes isnt enough to tell the full potential of a story

darker than black season 2: WHY WHY WHY WHY, all that potential season 1 left on, all the potential developments and places it could have climbed to, and what do you do? focus on a really annoying girl and dick around for half the season. great fucking job

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 19, 2013 11:13 PM

Feb 2010
Clannad After Story. For reasons anyone who's watched it will already know.
Jul 19, 2013 11:14 PM

Apr 2011
Guilty Crown
Jul 19, 2013 11:14 PM

Mar 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:

I still think it's a masterpiece regardless.
Jul 19, 2013 11:20 PM
Oct 2010
Darker than black. That second season just went into super silly mode.
Jul 19, 2013 11:29 PM

Apr 2011
Devil Survivor 2: the Animation. First episode was great. It was fleshed out brilliantly, but then they started fleshing out Hibiki's character..... the wrong way. Not just that, due to the 13 episodes, it became impossible to completely execute it's story. DS2:tA is ruined potential. They should've never tried to make it a one-cour anime.
Jul 19, 2013 11:30 PM

Nov 2010
Akito_Kinomoto said:
I don't know.
Jul 19, 2013 11:39 PM

Mar 2012
These are the five series that come to mind with some short explanations as to what went wrong.

Angel Beats - I know it's been said already, but here are my reasons. I still ended up giving it a 10, but I called it the most flawed 10 I'd ever give. I just enjoyed it that much that I couldn't help myself. Honestly though, that series did have the makings of a masterpiece. However, it was cut too short and rushed things way too quickly. It needed a two season set in the worst way. While I didn't mind him, I'll admit that the series leads were not the most interesting. Hell, the supporting characters are what made this series go.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (series) - I know there are people that still consider it a masterpiece regardless. Still, I can't help but think this thing could've been the greatest anime ever made and failed in the worst way with its ending. Hell, anyone who's watched the series can tell you how ridiculous some of the obvious budget cuts were...with still screens lasting for several minutes in several instances. Very rarely do I shout, "do something!" at my TV screen, but that series had me doing that. NGE is probably the most frustrating anime series I've ever watched because no matter how much I wanted to like it, at the end of the day, I freaking hated it!

Sword Art Online - This series received a ton of hype because it had an extremely attractive plot. Kid gets trapped in online video game, struggle to survive, etc. It had a potentially strong romance. However, it really squandered it's opportunities. It needed more of a focus on the Aincrad arc and developing the characters from that particular arc. The Aincrad arc was way too jumpy and didn't have the best narrative flow. Don't get me started at the train-wreck that was the Alfeim arc. My God, that was painful to watch. Honestly, that series needed a full 25 episode focus on the Aincrad arc rather than the 14-11 split that we got (or something like that).

Gosick - While I don't know if this would've been regarded as a masterpiece or not, I do seriously feel like Gosick squandered some opportunities to be a truly great anime. Its last two episodes were just such a stark contradiction of what the first 23 episodes built that by the time it was over, I shook my head in disbelief at how much they rushed the ending. I still have no clue as to what the hell they were trying to get across with the imagery they used in the last two episodes. It made the final resolution more vague when it should've been clarifying. I'm not sure if it's because it's supposed to make the viewer develop their own interpretation...but it just didn't work because Gosick was not that sort of series and even if they wanted to make it that sort of series, they waited way too long...

Death Note - This series is a mixed bag because there are some people that think it is a masterpiece and some people that think it's a hot, steaming mess. I think it's the latter. I will give Death Note this, it had a fascinating beginning that kept the viewer interested. It had a nice bunch of twists and turns...however, after "a certain character" dies, this series went to shit. Of course, that's not a statement that I was a fan boy of this "character" and was just fuming that they killed him off. It was a statement that the series became boring, illogical, and uninteresting. The series was applauded with its ending, which I will say the series had a solid ending (not great, but solid)...but I seriously skipped ahead to it because I was that uninterested in the events that happened in between "said character death" and "ending." I do think this series over-romanticized some things within this series (I seriously laughed my ass off at the potato chip scene when it was supposed to be intense). This is one series where I don't know what they could've done to make it better because I've never read the manga and all I've ever seen is people say, "the manga did it better."
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you chronically online?

Shizuna - Apr 21

32 by His0kaDevv »»
1 minute ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

38 by TheBasicAnimeFan »»
3 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 37 minutes ago

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

28 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.