Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2013 1:44 PM
Jul 2013
I've been thinking of trying Elfen Lied in the middle of watching what I am now, since it is short. But if you get past the nonsensical gore and nudity, is it overall, a bad anime? I've heard the animation and sound is extremely subpar aside from Lilium.

Jul 16, 2013 1:52 PM

Dec 2012
Elfen Lied is pretty underwhelming. Best part is the flashback.
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Jul 16, 2013 2:08 PM

Jul 2013
It's alright, nothing special though. There is much more to it than the bloodfest (not saying there isn't a lot of blood). It seems to have really high reviews in general so it probably is worth checking out.
Jul 16, 2013 2:46 PM
Jul 2012
Yeah it's really bad the characters are retarded it gets worse and worse
Jul 16, 2013 2:46 PM

Sep 2012
VanishingKira said:
Elfen Lied ftw,better than Gintama.

wasn't it gin tama ?
Jul 16, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2011
You must watch it, but I warn you it's not an anime for everyone, you can love it or hate it.
I luv u
Jul 16, 2013 2:48 PM
Jul 2013
Jaguer91 said:
You must watch it, but I warn you it's not an anime for everyone, you can love it or hate it.

Violence does not affect me.
Jul 16, 2013 2:49 PM

May 2009
lewlwut said:
Jaguer91 said:

Obviously.
Jul 16, 2013 2:52 PM

Sep 2012
lewlwut said:
Jaguer91 said:

nor does your last thread being *hand gesture*successful*hand gesture*
Jul 16, 2013 2:54 PM

Jul 2008
I think if you consider when it came out, and what was being aired at the time, in comparison, it was pretty good.
Jul 16, 2013 2:58 PM

Mar 2009
Jaguer91 said:

i dont want to be rude but it was the most retarded thing i read today.

the gore in elfen lied is animated really poorly imo, it isnt even disturbing and nudeness is meh, we see that everywhere. story wise well.. mediocre. it was so so when it first aired (art etc) so i dont hate it but i dislike it
Jul 16, 2013 3:20 PM

Nov 2011
reira93 said:
Jaguer91 said:

i dont want to be rude but it was the most retarded thing i read today.

the gore in elfen lied is animated really poorly imo, it isnt even disturbing and nudeness is meh, we see that everywhere. story wise well.. mediocre. it was so so when it first aired (art etc) so i dont hate it but i dislike it

Not rude at all. Anyway I'm talking about most people. >)
I luv u
Jul 16, 2013 6:41 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
Belonged in Elfen Lied Subform

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 16, 2013 7:16 PM

Jun 2013
I suggest you to watch anime till the end.Cause of the time was made(i think it said 2005) graphics as you saw aren't so good but story believe me is.When you watch it till the end you have 2 options:
1.first one you can leave it at that,for me ending was awesome cause still leaves some mysteries unsolved
2.you can start reading manga from chapter...lets say 60...But be sure to read it till the end because manga ending is JUST AMAZING!!!

Hope I helped you decide :)
Jul 17, 2013 2:48 AM

Mar 2012
elfen lied has a poor story plot and the gore is so over the top it doesn't scare, stay away

Jul 17, 2013 2:58 AM

Jun 2013
It is worth your time, definitely, just a bit weird though.
Jul 29, 2013 11:55 PM

May 2011
i don't have to speak because it's obvious that gintama is better than Elfen Lied
but it still a good anime, it's not that bad but the manga is better than the anime
Aug 16, 2013 3:12 AM

Aug 2013
Liking or disliking it is entirely subjective, so it's meaningless to debate that. However, from a technical standpoint it is a terrible anime. It's soundtrack is its sole redeeming quality. The blood is too brightly colored; the computer animation for the vectors is sloppily done. The story and characters are absurd.
Aug 16, 2013 4:01 AM

Sep 2009
Everything in this thread giving you opinions and their piece of mind. Forget them.

Here are some facts.

Elfen Lied aired in 2004. It's a story about an evolved human being escapee and the foster family that takes her in. It's a somewhat sizable cast for 13 episodes so the entire series doesn't pigeon hold the same characters over and over. It's also leans on the dark and twisted side with vengeance, loneliness, and segregation as core themes. It's pacing is average but with the amount of gore it could be much quicker or much slower depending on your comfort zone.
Aug 16, 2013 4:20 AM

Jul 2008
Satan-sama said:
i don't have to speak because it's obvious that gintama is better than Elfen Lied
but it still a good anime, it's not that bad but the manga is better than the anime

True statement... except for the part where Elfen Lied is a good anime. Compared to the manga, the anime is shit, yet it's highly rated (which I will never understand).

The thing that pisses me off is that the manga was pretty damn good, and that the only thing the show and the manga have in common are the character names and all the nudity/gore. Had they followed the manga more closely and had about 24 episodes, the show would've been awesome... but it didn't, so it wasn't (imo).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I can't see how the anime is any good (in my defense, I read the manga first then watched the show)... can't see how anyone could say the Elfen Lied show is better than Gintama either.
Aug 16, 2013 6:12 AM

Jun 2013
The blood and everything else actually serves purpose in the story if you have an open mind.
The story of elfen lied is truly special, one of the best in anime :)
Aug 16, 2013 6:22 AM

Dec 2012
The gore and nudity didn't really feel like selling points, I wish people would use better excuses to dislike it. Though the story and character development could have been a lot better than it was in the anime.

The characters were suppose to have deep dark pasts, traumas and inner demons to fight and we were suppose to feel more for the characters but the show did not translate that well enough.

12 episodes were not nearly enough to get the message they were trying to show out, 20 to 26 at least would have been the better choice and they definitely should have waited for the manga to be complete first before making up their own ending.

That being said, it is still worth watching if you want to kill some time.
Aug 17, 2013 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
Objurgo said:
The gore and nudity didn't really feel like selling points, I wish people would use better excuses to dislike it. Though the story and character development could have been a lot better than it was in the anime.

The characters were suppose to have deep dark pasts, traumas and inner demons to fight and we were suppose to feel more for the characters but the show did not translate that well enough.

12 episodes were not nearly enough to get the message they were trying to show out, 20 to 26 at least would have been the better choice and they definitely should have waited for the manga to be complete first before making up their own ending.

Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=632425&show=20#gSZFc2HFhXxVjZIk.99

Well in my experience the gore seems to be the primary selling point for why people watch it. Elfen Lied is traditionally the "gateway" anime when it comes to violence. Yes, violence alone would be an inadequate reason to dismiss it. But like I said, and as you've acknowledged, story and character development could have been MUCH better. The irrationality and absurdity of the character interactions was what killed it for me.

Not to mention that it was borderline pedophilic... though that accusation can be lobbied at most of the loli infested titles these days.
Aug 17, 2013 9:07 PM

Dec 2012
Jotaro_Kujo said:
Objurgo said:

Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=632425&show=20#gSZFc2HFhXxVjZIk.99

Well in my experience the gore seems to be the primary selling point for why people watch it. Elfen Lied is traditionally the "gateway" anime when it comes to violence. Yes, violence alone would be an inadequate reason to dismiss it. But like I said, and as you've acknowledged, story and character development could have been MUCH better. The irrationality and absurdity of the character interactions was what killed it for me.

Not to mention that it was borderline pedophilic... though that accusation can be lobbied at most of the loli infested titles these days.

Can't say I disagree with you here, Elfen Lied was in fact a gateway anime for me also. What I tend to see from people who liked this show just for the gore a is that they a re a young audience who think it's awesome and exciting Or retarded scene kids, but I found the gore disturbing and at times frightening and the one of the characters, Mayu was victim to pedophilia from her step-father, every character in the show has some kind of traumatic past, that's one of the shows main things. The dark overtones and underlying message can be received in many different ways depending on the person watching the show any show.

Elfen Lied the show and the manga even had many flaws but with all these blemishes it still remains one of my top 5. Hell If I completely looked at it critically the show deserves a 7 at best. But if I looked at it in terms of enjoyment and how much it kept me wanting to know more about the characters, how much the psychological aspect messes with you, I mean, that opening scene were Lucy escapes surprised the hell out me and everyone I watched the show again with x] Made me give it a 9.

What people fail to see is that just because a show is either fundamentally flawed, full of holes and maybe even labelled as bad by some, does not mean that the show is terrible and can't be watched or you won't find a lick of entertainment from watching it.
Aug 23, 2013 11:09 AM

Aug 2013
Objurgo said:

Can't say I disagree with you here, Elfen Lied was in fact a gateway anime for me also. What I tend to see from people who liked this show just for the gore a is that they a re a young audience who think it's awesome and exciting Or retarded scene kids, but I found the gore disturbing and at times frightening and the one of the characters, Mayu was victim to pedophilia from her step-father, every character in the show has some kind of traumatic past, that's one of the shows main things. The dark overtones and underlying message can be received in many different ways depending on the person watching the show any show.

Elfen Lied the show and the manga even had many flaws but with all these blemishes it still remains one of my top 5. Hell If I completely looked at it critically the show deserves a 7 at best. But if I looked at it in terms of enjoyment and how much it kept me wanting to know more about the characters, how much the psychological aspect messes with you, I mean, that opening scene were Lucy escapes surprised the hell out me and everyone I watched the show again with x] Made me give it a 9.

What people fail to see is that just because a show is either fundamentally flawed, full of holes and maybe even labelled as bad by some, does not mean that the show is terrible and can't be watched or you won't find a lick of entertainment from watching it.

It's entirely subjective what you enjoy, and I never contested that. Maybe I'm too harsh on it, but I just can't bring myself to look at it favorably. Eh to each his own. I'm glad there's people that can enjoy it.
Aug 23, 2013 11:14 AM

Jun 2012
It isn't even that gory. I was actually looking forward to the gore, but it was very disappointing.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 29, 2016 10:00 PM
Dec 2015
To be honest, if you look at the production of the anime, there was no respect in doing so. The creator of the manga hated it. There were several points in which the mangaka and the studio had arguments and falling outs in the production of the anime. Ultimately what we got was a mess, because the studio wanted one thing, while the CREATOR intended something else. If the studio allowed the mangaka to look over the production more closely, what we would have gotten would have been leagues better. Also, I think that ARMS was the wrong studio to handle the series. They are more well known for ecchi anime that are borderline hentai, and have a bad reputation because of it. An example of their work is Queens Blade.
I seriously think another studio, probably someone like MAD HOUSE should remake the anime, for a far better adaptation. The people at that studio are dedicated to their work. If you want a recommendation from me, I'd have to say read the manga, despite it's awkward art style. (I'm an artist, so little things like perspective angels that look deformed bug the crap out of me, not to mention some of the poses look two-dimensional and stiff.) But the story for the manga was really good. Far better than what the anime gave us. So yeah, read the manga, skip the anime.
Jan 29, 2016 10:02 PM

Nov 2014
Alissaneko said:
To be honest, if you look at the production of the anime, there was no respect in doing so. The creator of the manga hated it. There were several points in which the mangaka and the studio had arguments and falling outs in the production of the anime. Ultimately what we got was a mess, because the studio wanted one thing, while the CREATOR intended something else. If the studio allowed the mangaka to look over the production more closely, what we would have gotten would have been leagues better. Also, I think that ARMS was the wrong studio to handle the series. They are more well known for ecchi anime that are borderline hentai, and have a bad reputation because of it. An example of their work is Queens Blade.
I seriously think another studio, probably someone like MAD HOUSE should remake the anime, for a far better adaptation. The people at that studio are dedicated to their work. If you want a recommendation from me, I'd have to say read the manga, despite it's awkward art style. (I'm an artist, so little things like perspective angels that look deformed bug the crap out of me, not to mention some of the poses look two-dimensional and stiff.) But the story for the manga was really good. Far better than what the anime gave us. So yeah, read the manga, skip the anime.
Or watch anime and read manga as well.

Jan 29, 2016 10:22 PM
Dec 2015
ExTamplier said:
Alissaneko said:
Or watch anime and read manga as well.
I guess, it's still really bad in comparison. It's like SAO now that I thin about it. You watch it, love it, but when you criticise it, it's freaking HORRID.
Apr 24, 2016 8:32 PM
Dec 2015
I havn't read the manga, but Elfen Lied's story is a fantastic allegory for people with disabilities and just discrimination in general... Just a bit extreme. It shows that how, if they had the means to, the victim lash out as revenge for the mental torment society and close-minded people place upon them. Also how these people can be manipulated to serve mslicious purposes that they were oblivious to. (Btw I know from personal experience growing up with special needs siblings).I will agree that the identity and plot is not the best but it helps feed the greater message of the show. For the record I gave it an 8.

TL;DR: Elfen Lied should be appreciated for its message and the artistic way it goes about delivering it while creating an interesting story for viewer to enjoy.
Sep 25, 2016 6:16 AM

Feb 2013
No
#charlimit...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.