Forum Settings
Forums

Why do you study Japanese? - And, how did you come to start learning it?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Sep 1, 2013 4:53 PM

I'll be honest here. If I weren't a fan of anime, manga and video games, I probably would never have had the incentive to learn Japanese.

There are a lot of things coming out of Japan that I'd like to experience, and instead of sitting around begging companies to license them, which they probably have no intention to what so ever, I thought it would be better to just learn the language and import. And since then I was able to read some old school shoujo manga, like Tokimeki Tonight and Haikara–san and play visual novels such as Wand of Fortune and Eikoku Tantei Mysteria. Besides, whatever the reason for learning Japanese is, no one can go wrong with learning a new language :)
Kihel:"from Dianna Soreil to Dianna Soreil."
Dianna: "from Kihel Heim to Kihel Heim."

Oct 14, 2013 4:24 PM

I became interested in the Japanese culture and language when first started watching anime, SHOCKER! l0l. So, i started to do more research on the culture and i was hooked. I want to visit Japan one day soon here so i am trying heard to learn the language. I do not want to go there and just assume everyone is going to want to speak English or even know how too. I cant wait! I also want to be able to watch anime without subtitles >< hahah yes i am a nerdy like that! I do not have a whole story to tell you. My answer to this is short and sweet :)

Oct 25, 2013 4:02 AM

Just like 99,9% of people here. Started due to animes, would like to go there one day, and flirt with the ladies ^^
And I also think that I shouldnt expect to get around perfectly with English only, so might aswell have some knowledge of the language... to at least be able to find my way to the hotel and get food :P

Also... I just HAVE TO attend one day the Tokyo Game Show, Anime Content Expo, Tokyo Internation Anime Fair, and Comiket! Did I forget any?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 27, 2013 6:12 AM

pauro19 said:
日本が好きなですから。そして、日本人の女性は一番可愛いですよ。:)

➡︎日本が好きですから
You can never say 好きなです

△そして ⚪︎それと
そして is used in ordinal sequence. There is no sequential order between the two ideas you are conveying.

△一番
You have to specify under what bounds. 一番 does not work like the English "most". Therefore, it would become something related to 世界で一番 or whatever bounds you like, or you can change the wording and say 比較的可愛い or とても可愛い etc.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。

Dec 25, 2013 4:17 AM

I study or studied the language and writing because i wanted to be able to communicate with it, and because of my interest for Anime and Japan.

Same as Ecchi_K, i would like to go to Japan, and be able to find my way in Japan and communicate with the Japanese people.

I came to start to get in touch with the language better thanks to Anime, and wanted to learn the language because of Anime and my interest in Japan.

Jul 20, 2014 7:28 AM

Well, I know everyone says this and the fact that everyone also says that everyone says that, okay sorry that's just confusing now. But what I meant was that most people have been inspired to learn Japanese and have wanted to learn more about Japanese culture because of anime, and the same applies to me as well. I read so many stories here and wow, almost everyone here has learnt so much and know how to form sentences and everything and discuss it, and that's so cool to me, because I'm 13 right now.

I barely got to know about anime somewhere near the end of last year and the beginning of 2014, and honestly, I loved it. I loved the art styles, I thought the language was interesting and also, I loved how the expressions of the characters could I don't know how exactly to word this, but it seemed to actually express so much and the fact that anime could express so much emotion and actually make you think deeper made it oh so much more interesting for me. I also loved the stories, it's something that you wouldn't usually think of and a lot of them are brilliant. Also around last year, I started watching science related channels on YouTube (things like Veritasium) and I was quite interested in it all and I still am, and I'd see a lot of Japanese androids and quite a lot of awesome cars, which I thought was cool too.

When I first started watching anime, I wanted to research more about what it actually was, where it came from and then I discovered manga (although I have not read any - yet, I plan to) and other random things, I realized how interesting Japanese culture was. From the food, the meaning behind its flag, anime, manga, the clothing styles, the mythology, urban legends and the language. I remember when my classmates found out I watched anime or that I was interested in learning about Japanese culture, I was mocked by them. In our culture, people want their children to be something like doctors or businessmen, or something that our people find respected. I know that parents want the best for their children and all, but at times, a child wishes to be something else but he is forced to do according to their parents' desires, so you can see we're not very.. open-minded. Which is quite sad, because being open-minded can be helpful in so many ways, educating yourself about different countries and cultures, some worldly matters and all, I think it's quite important especially when you have to eliminate problems because then you need to be knowledgeable about both sides e.t.c. it's always hard for me to explain but hopefully anyone reading this will understand. Well, obviously now I was quite obsessed with it all, and I decided, why not try to learn a little bit of Japanese?

I've been going on Google translate (it's helpful at times, but not quite at other instances), trying to find meanings of certain words, and I've found a lot of things regarding Japanese and even watching anime subbed has kind of taught me some words, but then I decided to actually try and learn it. I remember a while ago, I searched how to write my name in Japanese, that was when I found out about the kana and kanji (I also learnt more from the club description, so thank you for that!) and I found out things like that katakana is used for foreign names e.t.c., and so my name would be written in katakana (although I really didn't know about about the vowels, consonant-vowel combinations e.t.c. at the time), things of the sort. Just yesterday, I decided to actually learn how the kana is used and I've started working on remembering hiragana and tried forming words like 'kon'nichiwa', and it's been quite interesting so far.

So honestly, I don't know if I'll actually be able to learn Japanese properly, and maybe I'm just doing it for fun and because I think it's interesting, but I can't be very sure about my future either, so maybe I might be able to learn Japanese someday. If not kanji, then at least I would've learnt hiragana and katakana which would mean that I'd learnt something new and I think it's going to be a fun experience anyways, and I should at least try learning a different language with a different alphabet system (especially those that look like cool symbols, hehe) out.

I'm sorry if this is kind of confusing or that I am unable to convey what I mean, and I posted this to be able to make new friends and socialize, and to know if anyone could help me out a bit with Japanese as well. Thank you for your time, if anyone actually read this.
Levi: If you want to end up as titan feces, I won't stop you.
Hanji: Titans don't defecate. After all, they don't have digestive systems. *crazy maniac smile*

Nov 14, 2014 3:22 AM

I have studied Japanese before as a requirement for schoo in the pastl. But now I really want to learn Japanese because of Japanese culture and because I am simply interested in learning about the language.

I have been to Japan before and let me tell you, I made a big fool of myself by not knowing the language. If I ever go back, I'll redeem myself by at least ordering myself a cup of water.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]