Forum Settings
Forums

Why do you study Japanese? - And, how did you come to start learning it?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jan 19, 2009 12:04 AM

Is it to understand anime and manga, a hobby, do you plan to utilize it in your career, etc. That's the focus of this topic.

For me, I'm studying for a number of reasons. I'd have to say that, when I was a little kid, Chinese characters always intrigued me and was something I thought would be cool to know. But, being a little kid I had no clue about it. I grew up liking things like Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, and the like. Naturally, this got me interested in Japan. I remember a picture book I had that had some Japanese words in the back of it. The book was a book about Japanese culture. I remember only how interesting I thought it was.

In middle school, I became friends with my current friend Adam, who had lived the first few years of his life in Japan. It is from him that I got a lead on how to get into Japanese. I borrowed a book from him (Japanese for Busy People) and started learning the hiragana and some basic phrases. Japanese writing is what hooked me. I love the cryptic appearance of the characters, and I love how they mix kana and kanji. It's the best of two forms of writing (meaning and phonetics). Unfortunately, I was still pretty young, and unmotivated to do anything. So it was on and off that I would learn random words and kept practicing hiragana.

In my last semester of high school I decided to get serious about it. I start scouring the Internet for resources to start learning. I would write over and over several phrases and words hoping that the next day I'd remember them. This wasn't the case. But, I kept at it.

I ended up buying Japanese in MangaLand and started working my way through the first book. I figured having books of my own and which were manga oriented would motivate me and be fun at the same time. Most of my motivation was from the fact that I thought that I'd be able to study abroad in Japan, and I wanted to be as good as I possibly could before going there so I could talk to the natives.

As it came to be, I was/am not able to study abroad in Japan, and after trying to switch schools, this failed on me, too. So this led me to find an alternative way and this is when I found All Japanese All the Time and started on Remembering the Kanji.

I spent three months pushing through RtK and now am learning sentences. It's been about two months and, although things have been slow, I'm still going. I'm at about 300 sentences which I care to keep in my SRS being they contain information that I want to remember or find interesting. And, I believe it is because of the SRS and AJATT that I've finally figured out a way I can learn Japanese. My biggest obstacle was being satisfied with myself enough to move on to the next lesson. I seriously spent a lot of time trying to memorize patterns like 私は___です because there were words in the section that I didn't remember fully. Not to mention that I didn't have a clue how I could learn Kanji. I didn't know what I was doing. So, finding AJATT was a life saver because it gave me a consistent method to work with to fluency.

So that's how I came to where I am now. And, my intentions/reasons for learning are pretty simple and are more than enough to justify learning it. 1. Japanese is notorious for being a "difficult" language to learn, so I hear things like "Wow, I could never do that" from people, and this is a great motivator. 2. Learning another language and becoming familiar with another culture is probably one of the best things you can do in life because it opens you up to so many new things. I would have never even found some of the movies, books, music, and people that I have if I hadn't learned what I have. So I continue for those reasons. 3. I'd love to work and live in Japan, and I don't necessarily care what I do there, because I know I can find something I enjoy. I'm considering teaching English for a bit, and maybe finding a job doing the thing I'm going to school for now (Web Design/Programming). The English thing is more or less a way to get my visa and get to the country. In which case I can always go with the JET Programme and be a Coordinator of International Relations. Like I said, I don't care what it is, as long as I can use Japanese every day and be in Japan. I also wouldn't mind translating jobs because it's more language practice for me. 4. I have an interest in Japanese literature, and I'm the kind of person that likes to enjoy the original version of things. So, this means reading stuff in Japanese. 5. I hear Japanese people are kind and generous people. And, from my experience, they are. 6. And of course there are perks to learning Japanese, namely being able to watch anime and read manga and watch dramas and all that stuff.

So yeah, that's my story. Share yours. :D

Jan 19, 2009 2:33 AM

Where to start?~
Well, about 2 years ago I _USED_ to be very much into WoW and I played it almost every awake hour when I wasn't at school. This of course was not good for me (common story, no?). I don't remember exactly when, but I suddenly had this urge to check up this comic that I got earlier that year. This comic turned out to be One Piece, and I thought I'd check if there was anime of it. Of course there was, and I downloaded 200+ episodes in a week (on a sucky connection, so the rest of my family suffered lol). Enough about that for now.
I quickly figured that it'd at least be cool to know the writing, and so I sat down and found some sites that had all the kana. I did a little studying, learned a few words, and some kana, but most of it was forgotten soon, and I was back at playing WoW again.
For some period I only played WoW like I used to, but I still had these small "review sessions" where I just looked over the tables of kana and tried to remember their pronounciation.

It wasn't untill around summer last year that I got abit more serious, when I DL'ed the "Remember the Kana" (it's not that easy to get a hold of these in Norway, and I'm not that fond of buying stuff online) and acually learned all of them. I then downloaded some programs that were supposed to "teach" me Japanese. This didn't last long, but I still did some of it, sometimes after that. I also looked up a lot of Japanese sites, but I never bothered reading even half of them. Seems I'm not that good with learning from things that are related to a computer, since I often tend to go off track.

It really turned serious though, when I, early in December found the Japanese in Mangaland series, and bought these. Since I knew the kana from before, the 2 first "lessons" were pretty easy (an also lesson 7 or 8). Anyways, during the christmas holidays I joined this site for language exchange, and came in touch with this Japanese woman. Since I put in my profile that I was fluent in both Norwegian (first language ^_^) and English (well, I know it well enough to understand 99.9% of what I read (the rest I look up, mainly slang words), and I'm able to express myself well enough), and that I was looking for help in Japanese, I mainly talk to her in English, since that is what she's interested in getting better at, and her English levels are way higher than my Japanese levels at the moment.
For now though, I'm mainly focusing on words and kanji through Anki, and sometimes I read a chapter or so in Japanese in Mangaland, though this has slowed down recently, since I finished book 1 around the time when school resumed, and book 2 has become increasingly harder (covering enough for about 2 chapters in book 1).

As for reasons, I'm not actually sure. However, since there are so few Light Novels released officially in English, being able to read a few of those series would be awesome. There is also, of course, the anime and manga that would be kinda nice to watch the originals of (I'm abit of a sucker for original material myself ^_^).
Recently, I've also gotten another reason; being able to have a rather normal conversation with the Japanese woman that I've gotten in touch with. For now though, it's only the normal stuff that you get in anime, and the occasional sentence in Japanese (I have informed her that it's ok for her to use kanji, even if I don't know them, so that I can add them to my anki deck ^_^).
Of course, I will be going to Japan sometime in the future (I don't know when though). Most likely when I graduate from college or something, and if my Japanese is good enough by then (aka having passed JLPT2), I might consider looking for a job there too.

As for doing it the RTK way, I have considered that, but as mentioned before, I'm not that fond of buying online (especially from outside of Norway), but once I get my student loan I'll drop by the bookstore and ask if they are able to order it if i have the ISBN number for the book in question.
I do have some questions concerning RTK, but I'll take that in another thread more suited for that.

My Anime List | My Manga List | Blog (rarely updated)
^_^

Jan 19, 2009 8:09 AM

Well, all started like 2 and a half years ago when I really went into Anime. That's also when I went English sub instead of those dubbed versions on TV. I first watched stuff like Naruto and Avatar (which I figured out that it wasn't considered an Anime) and never finished them. Thankfully for Naruto, because now I really think it sucks hard. It's also because I wanted to watch something that most people didn't watch, thus beginning my quest to watch the best experimental Anime ever (see my profile). Of course I didn't start watching those right away. I clearly remember that my first 3 first completed Anime was, in order: Fruits Basket, Chobits and after that Elfen Lied :D

About a year ago, I became interested in learning Japanese, having watched tons of Anime. Of course I have already watched my current 3 top Anime (Monster, Hajime No Ippo, Death Note). I have a Japanese friend but we don't see each other often anymore. Ya, you guessed it; I really want to show my Japanese skills to him one day :D Maybe it's also because my English teacher told me that it's always better to listen/read in the native language, but anyway all those factors made me want to start learning Japanese. Ah, forgot: since I already know some Chinese characters because of my origins, I thought it would be easier for me to learn Japanese and then relearn Chinese again. So 1 stone two birds :D

So, the learning began when my brother handed me a paper with all the kana on it. We started practicing 始めまして and stuff, but our communications didn't last long. So, I learned all the kana in one week by myself and started to read my brother's textbook. And since I had obviously no one to talk to *cough my bro doesn't exist cough*, I mostly skipped the "discuss with other students" parts and only made up sentences if it was easy to do so. 6 months passed while I used that textbook. Sometimes I'll go weeks without it, and made no big progress. I did learn the basics, but that's all.

And... I went to CEGEP (Canada's College), became a member of the Anime Club there (the first day), met a friend who used Myanimelist, joined this site and searched for a Japanese club... and you know the rest of the story :D 3 months with RTK, and now on sentences (100+).

Ah, for my brother, I didn't tell him anything, because I really want to see if AJATT's method is better than taking classes, which my brother does (it's actually his major). He's going to Japan this year for a year, and I've been thinking I'll go visit Japan next year with my friends. So, for my bro, it's a rivalry and a challenge, one more reason why I should learn Japanese :D

What will I do with my Japanese? Make my club jealous (hahaha, no subs for me), watch Anime and maybe manga (but not too fond of them, heh) all in Japanese. And... why else? because I can and I want... and like :3

Jan 19, 2009 8:35 AM

Hmm, for me I think it's a bit different than most..

I certainly always wanted to really learn another language. Every time I would hear people speaking a new language, I wanted to know it. Even if I didn't necessarily need to. I still feel this way, although I've come to make real the difficulty of learning a language.

I've been a shut-in or hikikomori or whatever you want to call it for about 5 years now, and so naturally a major aspect of what I do every day has been the internet. Being on the internet so much, I've come across a number of games and sites and other things, inevitably leading to a lot of exposure to Japan.

My interest in Japanese actually started before I had seen any anime.. I used to play a game called maplestory (It's a relatively boring and repetitive game, but I was 13..). The Japanese server had more content released than the global one did, so I followed a guide to register and played that for a while. I wanted to be able to communicate with the people there, but at the time I didn't seriously consider learning Japanese. I did remember 30 or 40 names for things like items and places, but I didn't know how any of them were actually read. At this time I had heard very little spoken Japanese, and the only word I can remember learning there was "よろ" which at the time I didn't realize was shorthand for ”よろしく”

I also used to watch a lot of travel type of TV and at one point I saw a couple different shows on Japan.. one was a documentary on it, and there was also Anthony Bourdain's no reservations in Japan, and also that bizarre foods show. This kind of got me excited about Japan and I wanted to start learning the language so I could go there some day.

Despite that, though.. I didn't really study very much. I had long enabled Japanese on my computer for the game, but I didn't even know hiragana or katakana yet. I downloaded a pimsleur Japanese sample course with 10 lessons and went through those.. I realize looking back now that I didn't actually really know the words and how they're used. It was only about 70 words though anyway, so not a big deal. At this point, I knew those and stereotypical words like ”元気” or ”好き” or ”美味しい". Stuff you see in little introductory webpages here and there.

At this point about ~2.5 years ago, I started watching a few subtitled J-dramas. I must have come across a clip somewhere online and decided to start watching them. I watched about 10 or 15 of them over a period of half a year or so, and learned a few words while doing that. I knew in total at that point maybe a meager 200 words... however, I let it go to my head and started thinking I was going to learn Japanese in no time at all at that pace. I've seen a lot of people do this around MAL and other sites, they'll say they "learned Japanese" or they're getting good or something like that when they're only at a level such as this, and I just have to snicker when I see that now.

So after I had seen most of the more popular dramas, I eventually came across a clip of death note on youtube. I wasn't entirely unacquainted with anime, as I had watched shows like dragonballz that most kids watch at some point. A previous girlfriend had also been a big Inuyasha fan, and she always wanted to watch it on adultswim when she would stay over at my house (I still haven't gone back and watched Inuyasha to this day, I don't know if it was annoying because she always fangirled over it, or because it looked intentionally overly weird, but it just didn't do anything for me..). But anyway, I started watching death note weekly as it was released. Eventually this led to watching other popular shows, like bleach and naruto and one piece. I actually started marathoning one piece in May of '07, and then after that I moved into a variety of shows like bebop or outlaw star or GTO (I had already seen the drama so I wanted to watch it), etc. My vocabulary sort of passively expanded as I watched more and more shows, I would just realize that I knew the meaning of words that were being spoken here and there.

In October that year I started making a basic wordlist in a txt file. I just put them in alphabetically with their romaji equivalents. (I knew hiragana and katakana at this point, but very little kanji. Just basic frequent kanji that you see.) It totaled just under 500 words, which I was actually disappointed with because I had thought I knew more than that. For a while, I made a point of pulling 10 words a day from anime. I had a basic flash card program that was integrated in my J-E dictionary and used that to help. I didn't keep this up for long though, and ended up at about 800 words going into '08. My Japanese learning and even anime watching at this point had been very off and on, sometimes I would go for weeks or months without hearing it.

But in early '08, my dad told a Japanese coworker of his that I was learning the language, and from that I got a penpal. Originally I didn't know much kanji and it would take hours with a multirad look up to decipher the letters she sent me. I could send them back OK because it was easy to find out the kanji for a word you already know.. just type it out. We've written maybe one letter a month back and forth up until the present. I haven't learned much vocab from them, but the kanji is helpful, and she corrected my mistakes. By now I can mostly read the letters without any dictionaries, which is nice.

But anyway, I continued learning just from anime watching, (And by now I was using it online in comments on Japanese videos or talking to Japanese people here and there) and had stopped maintaining my word list for a while.. last September, I found out I might be able to go to Japan on an exchange problem, and for a while there I got really serious about it. I was listening to news podcasts all the time if I wasn't watching anime or Japanese TV, and doing 10 words and their kanji per day using Anki at this point, as well as learning plenty of words that I didn't log just because the meanings were hard to put in a concise translation. I got in too late for the exchange though, so it didn't work out. However, that period was really useful for kanji, as I easily added 500+ kanji to what I know (Know as in having quick recognition, and knowing at least 1 reading and the related vocab)

These past few months, I've been a bit more relaxed about it. I write a blog in Japanese on lang-8 so native speakers correct it.. I watch Japanese TV and the usual anime and whatnot.. I don't know how many words I know at this point but I estimate 6-7000. It's gotten easier to pick up new words because most of the new words I learn I've already been exposed to before multiple times. I figure I'll just sort of cruise towards native fluency like this.. I'm not in a hurry anymore (And I can already use the language to a point that, while I'm certainly not native, I get around just find and understand what I need to understand and more)... While I kind of think Japanese is not going to be as useful in my life as I'd like.. I certainly don't regret learning it since I enjoyed watching anime and TV and whatnot anyway. I really didn't have that much of a reason to learn Japanese other than being exposed to it and thus having your typical desire to speak it. I'll probably go to Japan at some point, but that's certainly in the future regardless.
Modified by hikky, Jan 19, 2009 8:48 AM

Jan 30, 2009 7:42 PM

I am plannning to post it. It's long, I'm at college right now but anyways one of the influences is applemilk1988 (dont worry i'm not impressed with her. )
this blog/community just realy inspired (?) me It's like 90% english, no maybe 95%. There's a little Japanese here and there. I don't know, it's interesting to me. I got a couple srs sentences from here lol.
It's complicated.

It's strange but yeah it's definitely part of it. I'll post explanation and all that and the whole thing as soon as I finish writing my thing.
Modified by midori-, Jan 30, 2009 7:48 PM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Feb 6, 2009 6:58 AM

I don't think this is all but you know it's got most of it.

For me it starts with why I decided not to study Japanese.

I've always steered away from learning Japanese but then it lead to the regret of "I should've started earlier" (I agree). The reason is very simple, the countless anime fans who start and quit (however many days/etc later). Of course they're only reason is to watch anime without them subtitles/read manga. I didn't want to be one of them. I don't like being associated with that (I have hate for anime fans, some "types" but maybe it goes with "hating certain people"). Also I knew the pains of learning a language and what it means to be fluent, I know how it feels to be fluent in a language 100%.. So I knew I was saving myself a lot of frustration and pain.

At first I wasn't sure why I did. all I knew was I did not want to associate it with anime ie to understand anime. I never liked manga or manhwa... just boring. I'm sure I can force myself to read it...

I think one of the influences is applemilk1988 cause well... she sucks.. I just remember watching her intro video on youtube (a few monthes before I started studying Japanese) and I thought it was cool but I couldn't gauge her level of japanese (cause well I didn't know japanese then) . All I cound understand/make out from that video at that time was the few words I knew from anime. One thing I deifnitely made out was that that point in time was 5 years after she started studying Japanese & her reason/motivation at first was anime and then japanese music added on to that. After that her videos were obnoxious as hell and I started to despise her. But right now, she's become more despicable and I realized her japanese is not great because like 1/2 months (no surprise there? ) after I started studying Japanese (tae kim's guide) I understood everything she said in the videos give or take a word or two. If you want a more detailed explanation of her level of japanese you can read about it at the link above.

But anyways the point is, I think what I got is she can do it, i can cause she pissed me off (but actually she isn't that good at japanese... -).

When I started I felt really pissed cause my only connection to Japanese was anime but I didn't want to label myself as one of them and I thought there has to be another reason I just don't know it yet or whatever. And anyways my first anime was NOT pokemon/sialor moon/dragon ball z/ etc. I've watched anime from the time I could start to remember watching stuff on tv...

another motivation was learning something new instead of fixing something broken.

and another is to do something that matters. watch tv/play game/whatever other leisure actitivty is like... ?

Learning basics to intermediate was painful but it had the one of the most immediate/profound results/effects out of the levels I went through. Cause people talk about plateauing after mastering/close to mastering basic/intermediate (verb/adjective conjugtions/all the common crap) (It's like what do I do, learn vocab??? which is so.... daunting). I mean looking back I guess I could've done it in a more fun way but actually I couldn't consdering the circumstances... so no.... By basic/intermediate I mean Tae kim's guide and like learning the grammar.So there was a time when I was struggling/thinking to conjugate the verb etc but now I don't think about it cause I'm used to it. I was very happy to find such a competent guide and I just love having s*** broken down like that cause I sure as hell don't think I can figure out "conjugation" rules etc. I'm pretty sure I would've frustrated myself to death and then give up.

So as part of learning a language I knew I should try to find more connections to Japanese, have more japanese in my life. So one obvious one was music.

There was a time when I "ignored" music. By that I just listened to whatever mainstream song (American) that was decent, since 90% of it is crap and over-played. I always knew that there are bands and such that aren't mainstream, indie etc who arne't popular/main-stream but good. But to get interest in that you have to dig. I always belived it when people said but I never felt like going through the trouble for it. So I digged for good Japanese music. At first most sites I found were j-pop and got artists/albums that could be good. I judge by album cover, tracklisting. Like this crap radar works well 90% of time etc I knew I didn't like j-pop cause I don't like k-pop and i don't like engrish and i don't like cheesy lyrics (j-pop is so cheeeeeeesy sometimes). Also I don't lke tranny j-rock singer voices and whinny/ballad guy voices and voices that sound like mr. children's lead singer. Basically I was very scared in the beginning because all (most/sometimes) these artists that were main/stream popular were just terrible to me or I just did not like their voices ( I feared that most Japanese singers or all or all the ones that are singres had these kinda voices and that i would have to either give up or get used to it - i mean the male sigers with that annoying singing voice -anyone know what i'm talkin about?) But indeed digging for the good stuff I found singers with voices I love and don't do weird engrish etc). I thought mainstream/popular was a good place to start because all these people like it, and the chances of me not liking them should be low, Also these consumers were Japanese poeple not american peple so you know maybe main stream wouldn't be sucky. but alas, it just is.

J-drama. I ignored because I ignored k-drama (they too long) I'm still weary about j-drama, I hope I never ever watch a boring/sad/crying drama. I mean I don't mind a sad/depressing drama as long as its good (and not melodramatic/creepy) but I know how it is with some drama/show/media that's ridiculously popular and praised so you'd assume it would be amazing but be completely disappointing. Another thing was the melodrama sad/crying scenes in korean drama. But at this point I'm GLAD I ignored J-drama all this time because now I can enjoy it better because I understand way more Japanese than I did at that point. there's j-drama for me and there's definitely j-drama i will never watch or touch etc. I'm trying to be very careful to not shot myself in the foot and force mself through 10 eps of a crappy boring drmaa just to find out what hpapens in the end even though it's boring as hell.

Japanese culture. there's some interesting Japanese blogs. I'm not sure if I started reading them after I started studying or before but let's just japanese culture is mad interesting (pop culture/ current) . different culture, different quirks. It's so interesting and some of this stuff you'd never hear about in America etc so it's something that only you can get from Japan - Japanese culture.

Japanese celebs/tv. Not really? As part of finding out more about Japan, I would check out the top videos on youtube and I found some interseting people/celebs or a couple talk shows/variety shows. Basically I found out there is more to Japanese tv then some random dude in that sumo outfit thing or in a weird wig/outfit/etc. Basically I HATE anything with some guy in a sumo outfit or people dressed weird. It's not funny to me and it just sounds annoying. I confirmed that the stuff I knew I hate I do hate but also learned that I like in the show/variety shows.etc. I just need to watch/find stuff I like.

I guess it's okay to find reasons and connections to the language while you learn it. Actually, that's more logical?

As for learning...
1st thing was hiragana.
2nd thing was katakana.

then way I went about learning it was passive. I didn't drill the writing but I made sure I knew the stroke order. I focused on reading it becauase obviously there's no reason for me to write it except for personal value. So to really help my hiragana/katakana reading I went through like 200+ song lyrics and i learned lots of words and kanji (just reading/recogninzing) I wrote somewhere else 748 kanji and 1000 entries (1000 is words/adjectives/verbs/etc) but taking into account the nonjouyo/not very popular kanji I would estimate down. Also I used tae kim's guide while doing that but I studied soe grammar before I started so I wouldn't be frustrated to death. So for a short time I ignored the kanji and just focused on reading the hiragnaa/katakana unless the word that was the kanji was a word I knew. I read mad slow, it was like I had to concentrate and think for 3 seconds to remember pronounciation of the hiragana (lols). But now I read fast...

At the same time I wrote kanji a lot, so I could learn stroke order. very important to me. Also, I noticed my handwriting improved :)

After thta I just took a "break"? Not a break but I definitely learned way less/slower than with the songs. From the songs I felt like I learned a lot from that month or 2 etc.I just watched anime and undestood parts I understand and didn't understand parts I didn't understand. I did learn the ageru/morau/kureru from anime easily thoughs (after reading about it in the guide which would scare you...) During that time I tried to study kanji as in memorize on-yomi readings for ones that don't have 3+ possible readings,etc. I'm not sure exactly what I did but I just did some half-warm-luke-warm japanese study as far as reaidng japanese. I thought I HAD to force myself to read news to improve. but then I came across ajatt again (the first time I came across it I ignored it because the guy kept putting at the end of his entries, GIVE ME MONEY and it just seems very crazy and random) this time I got the info that I needed about srs, and listening.

Then I found about SRS and I thought that was really ideal after the basic/intermediate because after that mots of the battle is vocab....
so I mined sentences but ended deleting half of them because they were very boring and painful to do. Anyways now I get interseting sentences from drama (kansou/arasuji/script/blog/etc) or anything that's interesting to read (chiebukuro etc). Right now3000+ cards. But now I feel annoyed because I didn't go monoligual earlier. So I think it would be waste of time to go back and change to monoligual for everything so I decided I'll do it for the ones I still dont relaly know what it means (or it doesn't really stick it in my mind or just not that clear) from the english translation..
But the upside is I can stuff I couldn't add before because of monoligual. past times I would not added because the sentence was too simple with a word or two I didn't know but now I can add those kind of sentences because of the monoligual... I really know what it rlealy means because japanese explaning the the japanese word is just more.... _ than the english expalaining japanese word. Honestly, I was pretty indifferent to monoligual to what difference it could make. cause it's like oh i'll just take longer and all that but in the end it doesn't..

Also found about RTK but that time I just ignored it because tae kim/tofugu/etc did not like it or were just not that uspportive or was saying it was for only certain people. so you know i just ignore. but then i finally stopped ignoring it and checked it out & I don't know why there's so mean at it. It's helpful for learning to write (otherwise you would be just memorizing like a maniac?). Writing seems scary... ? I only take rtk's value in its method to help me write. I don't realy care about key words most of the time . so I went through the whole book, just seeing how all the kanji is broken down (not doing srs/full-onstudying or anything) and I skipped all the kanji that i've never seen (so that's like 600?). I did do the stories, for the 600 he put and read some stories on the koohhiii site but nothing beyond that mostly.

I'm pretty sure I'll visit Japan in the future (who doesn't want to?). I have no thoughts about living there/working there...

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Feb 6, 2009 7:50 AM

midori-, I can't say for sure why I think this, but your story is probably the most motivating. If I had to place it, I think it would probably be that I had similar experiences as you with finding things that I liked in Japanese, and trying to avoid the Anime-fan-who-studies-Japanese title. I avoid telling people that I like anime at all unless they're close friends because I don't want to hear crap like "oh, David, you're such an anime geek" or something to that effect. Because, I mean.. to learn a language only to watch anime is kind of like.. "Okay, so why are you doing this?" It's a really low form of motivation, and one would have to be crazy to try to become fluent in a language just for that. I personally see that as just a perk that comes with learning Japanese rather than the purpose of it.

And, our experience with finding good music just touched base with me. I mean, really. One has to be really open minded about these things, or so I thought. So, at first, even though it got on my nerves I listened to stuff I didn't like much, just because it was in Japanese. And, I totally get what you were saying about Mr.Children, and poor voices in general. But, as I become more involved with Japanese, I do find things that I like, and things that I tried on a whim and liked. For instance, I don't really like hip-hop at all in English, but I love Rip Slyme. I've listened to my fair share of J-Pop, and most of it I just can't see me listening to all the time. So, as of lately, I have listened to a lot of 林檎椎名, Rip Slyme, and 島みやえい子. Would you mind sharing any groups that you particularly enjoy?

@みんな

Thanks for sharing your stories. They were all great. :)

Feb 6, 2009 3:31 PM

It happened when I was a kid. The TV shows I watched often had Chinese characters, like Batman Beyond and sometimes Powerpuff Girls. I found it all really interesting, and I was motivated to learn more about them. I remember doing this silly thing when I made up my own characters that looked Chinese based on the alphabet, but even I couldn't translate it, so I gave it up. It was funny because when I was making that alphabet, I was thinking about Japanese instead of Chinese.
When I was in 8th grade, I did a project on the Chinese written language. I really enjoyed doing it and presenting it to the class. At that time, I has just gotten into anime and I didn't like English dubs, so I would watch it in Japanese with English subtitles. While I watched, I started to pick up some phrases and words that were often repeated. I was also into manga and I was motivated to learn to read Japanese. I bought Kana de Manga one night when I was at the bookstore in the manga section. There was a sale going on, so I bought it. It took me a couple months to finish the book and memorize every hirigana and katakana character, and I felt ready for kanji. I was unaware of how difficult it was to memorize 2000 more Chinese characters in order to read a Japanese manga. I'm currently on level 2, because I haven't memorized it completely.
I went back to speaking and listening to Japanese. I learned some more about Japanese grammar in my Japanese phrasebook I've been looking through for vocabulary. Since then, I haven't really learned much more.
I enjoy studying foreign languages, it's something that I spend numerous amounts of time on. I also take a huge interest in the Japanese culture and its language. I really like to study Japanese because it's similar to Spanish in a way. Also, it's another language to help understand my own language a bit better.

Feb 6, 2009 5:50 PM

for me it's mostlly bands, indie/rock/jazz for me.

my last.fm - note that are korean artists too... and there's some artists I have to remove cause I don't like them... but don't feel like going through doing that.. some of them I love, some I like, some i only like a couple songs. soo..

Many artists I like and all so...... it's hard
acid black cherry - only male singer i know that uses watashi like 100% of time... so weird. but that's him.  I actually rejected him straight out from picture and his artist name but then I heard his voice and well it's deifnitely not what I expected.
tokyo jihen is basically shiina ringo except with band memebers she chose.
monkey majik - 2 members are white :) I love white peple voices you know but like they sing in Japanese so it's nice :)
aobouzu
ego-wrappin'
ali project
radwimps
tsubaki
quruli
asian kung-fu generation
elephant kashimashi
briliant green
advantage lucy
roly poly rag
lamp
serial tv drama
school food punishment
dorlis
sleepy.ab
the novembbers
paris match
mass of fermenting dregs
jill-decoy association
unlimits
fujifabric
Yeah... I like a lot of artists these don't really cover everything but a chunk...
I like, find a good band/artist every week or something dpeneding on how much time i have to explore artists. I love making new discoveries cuase there's some very talented artists out ther e(I especially love the ones that can really compose good melody or whatever you call it)

All in all, it was worth it digging for what I wanted instead of giving up :) because there's really good music out there....

the only rap I like is like this song and 波浪 by 369 (it had like a positive attitude.).
Modified by midori-, Feb 13, 2009 7:39 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Feb 7, 2009 1:15 AM

Why are people always knocking on folks who want to learn Japanese because of anime? Especially if you just want to learn to understand it, learning any language is mostly a matter of time - it doesn't have to involve too many headaches. That said, most people have a pretty low tolerance for confusion, and learning a language does entail several months, minimum, of near-total noncomprehension. And most people have an exaggerated idea of the difficulty, thinking it's not possible for most people or requires years of painful drills and memorization before you can even get near native materials. In this context it is a little unusual to learn a language for one fandom...

That said, there are a lot of interesting things going on in Japan besides anime, and if you learn the language to fluency without getting interested in any of them, that's a little sad. Also, I don't broadcast the fact that I like anime for much the same reasons that a lot of you don't.

Anyway, my first interest in Japan was anime, followed by food, manga, music, and video games, in that order. In high school I took French, which taught me that I like learning languages, although after four years as a good student in those classes, my French still sucked. After a lapse of almost a year, I continued French at my university, but I became frustrated with the still-slow pace of the classes and searched for ways to study more efficiently on my own. During this time I studied kana a little as well, and got interested in Japanese literature thanks to reading a few books in English translations. I eventually moved into a francophone household.

At the same time, I started taking Japanese classes, mostly because my friends were doing it (two were in class with me that first quarter), but I became frustrated with the way I was just keeping up, not progressing that much. My landlord had a copy of Remembering the Kanji, as a result of which I found Reviewing the Kanji and thus AJATT. I read a fair number of AJATT articles and decided to try it. I never did it strictly the way he describes it - I find that listening while I sleep is not a good option for me, and other than that I let things slip sometimes. Doesn't help that I'm learning French at the same time, although by now I consider myself fluent in French - I want to get to a native-like level that would allow me to go to graduate school at a francophone institution in a few years.

At any rate, after the first year I was unable to continue taking Japanese classes due to class conflicts, but this has not much hindered my studies. I've gotten into dramas to some extent, as well as written a paper about Okinawa, the aftermath of World War II, and continuing U.S.-Japan relations as they affect health and reproduction from a feminist historical standpoint, which made me wish my Japanese was good enough to do research in it. It turns out as well that Japan has not only an interesting history of gender-bending in theatre and so forth (kabuki, Takarazuka Revue, etc.) but a pretty interesting feminist movement as well.

How do I plan to use it in my career? I want to be a librarian and professional writer - mostly fiction, but I wouldn't mind doing academic writing either, though I don't particularly want to be a professor. That said, I'm not sure. I'm told that multilingualism is a major help for librarians, but it's not really necessary for writers unless you want to write in a non-native language.

Say, is anyone else here into other languages as well? I've dabbled in several others, but not really enough to brag about any of them.

Feb 7, 2009 8:05 AM

sleepyday said:
@みんな

Thanks for sharing your stories. They were all great. :)

I second that :)

I also found out that I'm learning Japanese with AJATT because it taught me so many things on second language acquisition. So I absolutely can't quit or slow down too much, as I will not know if AJATT worked or not. And I hate not knowing things :)

Anyway, for Bubblehead's question, I'm going to quote from my profile:

I speak French and English fluently, I'm currently learning Japanese and I can understand a little bit of Mandarin and Taiwanese (cuz of my origins). I also want to learn, after Japanese, those languages (in order of importance): Mandarin and Taiwanese, then Spanish, German and Russian. If I succeed, then I'll go learn Korean too :)

I also remember that I learned English at precisely age 9, over the summer. I knew nothing about English before that summer break. When I went back in school, I was fully fluent in English :) There was probably 3 reasons: massive television and playing Starcraft all day long. And the third is that English is very similar to French.
Modified by firebound12, Feb 7, 2009 8:11 AM

Feb 8, 2009 9:03 AM

bubblehead said:
Say, is anyone else here into other languages as well? I've dabbled in several others, but not really enough to brag about any of them.

Cantonese has been on my scope ever since I found AJATT. The more I read about it, the more I found it interesting. Just some of the things I've read about Chinese in general intrigue me. And, after acquiring Japanese, I most certainly plan on learning it. Lately I have done a bit of exploring with Cantonese, such as installing a JyutPing IME on my computer. And, some exposure to Cantonese from music and videos has made me want to learn it even more. Not to mention that it wold serve as a secondary motivator to learn a lot more Chinese characters, especially ones outside the Japanese scope. And, plus, I hear that in Chinese, the use of the characters is very logical.

Aside from that, I do have an interest in Korean, and maybe Mandarin, but the two that I feel I really want to learn are Japanese and Cantonese. Although, I'm not about to try to learn them at the same time. I want to show myself it's possible to do one language before moving on to simultaneous language acquisition.

Feb 11, 2009 2:52 PM
bubblehead said:
Why are people always knocking on folks who want to learn Japanese because of anime?

Nobody should have to "justify" their reason for learning a new language; many people have different reasons and the end result is always positive: acquisition of a new language. As Sleepy said, language is the key to the culture and it gives you access to an entirely different world that you otherwise would not have access to.

I have family in Korea so I used to stop by Tokyo on our way to Korea every few years or so. When I was younger it wasn't a big deal but as I got older I fell in love with Tokyo and Kyoto. A lot of my friends that I had in the states went back to Japan for college/work and when I visited them they showed me the culture of the city underneath all the touristy stuff. I've been to NY, LA, Paris, London, Berlin, etc. but in my mind they didn't compare to the energy and culture of Tokyo. Last summer I interned at a Korean firm in Seoul that had a lot of Japanese clients so I was able to travel back and forth and experience the work culture. I knew I wanted to work in Asia (was deciding between Hong Kong and Japan) but that experience pretty much solidified my decision.

I'm currently double majoring in business and Japanese and I hope to work in Tokyo at a multinational firm. That's what pretty much motivates me in my studies.

Feb 13, 2009 8:55 PM

for me its quite simple i think

starts when i was young,all those characters strange characters that i saw in the animes on the tv and in lots of other places where interesting to me,i always wanted to learn how to read and talk with this diferent language,i grew up liking japanese culture,the legends,the history,the media,the people,yes i know japanese people ^^

so last year i decided to start learning japanese by myself just like english(you can see how broke it is dont you?),i bough a book called Hiragana and Katakana,an easy way to learn(sure it was a very very easy way to learn) i memorized all the weird little amazing drawings XD,after that i bough the same book but this time its for learn kanji,80 of then. a simple level i think.well i meet a friend who was japanese,and i asked her for japanese lessons,now im learning it.

i dont feel like a brazilian,i feel like a japanese,i miss japan and i dont know why,my heart indeed,is japanese,not brazilian,my soul too,my blood is brazilian but i dont feel like that,im not born in japan,i dont have any family who come from there,but i feel like a true japanese,and i want to learn everything about that country and one day,live like a true japanese.

XD yes i forget,i need know japanese to realize my dream too,i want to work at the square enix headquarters,i think its in tokyo.

Feb 14, 2009 2:23 PM
Shiokazu said:

i dont feel like a brazilian,i feel like a japanese,i miss japan and i dont know why,my heart indeed,is japanese,not brazilian,my soul too,my blood is brazilian but i dont feel like that,im not born in japan,i dont have any family who come from there,but i feel like a true japanese,and i want to learn everything about that country and one day,live like a true japanese.

wow

Feb 14, 2009 8:10 PM

Supreme said:
Shiokazu said:

wow

That's quite the sentence.

Feb 14, 2009 9:27 PM

For me I started learning new languages since elementary school. It began with english (well english class at school, I'm a french-canadian) I was really enjoying english class not like many of the others who were not even listening in class. Then in middle high school I went in the international program so I got spanish class for two years...after that I saw the I like learning new languages.
But why choosing japanese? Because since my young age I was really interested in those characters I was already reading manga when I was 8. Then at the age of 13 I saw the movie memoirs of geisha and this make me love the japanese culture. But I really started learning japanese by my own this summer at the age of 15.
I'm learning by my own since there is no class giving next to my house or all the class are giving in university so....I'm buying books and I'm watchings some animes to lern. Since this summer I think i've lern a lot since I can understand many sentances in anime( I'm proud of me :3 )

So that is how I've got to lern japanese. ( sorry for my englush if you don't understand)
Good Job !

Feb 15, 2009 10:43 AM

= =;; How many Quebecois qu'on a ici >_>

Ya, typically French, English and Spanish are taught at school in our region too. I had a choice of choosing Spanish as a complementary course, but since I know language class sucks... I took something else :P

Well, language class sucks when it's not the official language, cuz you're not getting any immersion. So, go self-study :)

Feb 19, 2009 11:40 AM

Surprise, it was because I got interested in the Japanese language through mangas and animes a few years ago. Because I grew up with 3 languages and learned English as forth, I thought it would be time for a more challenging language to learn and because I was interested in the Japanese culture, I just started to learn it. It's a personal hobby. In my profession (application development) it does not help me, which is why I'm learning quite slowly. But with time, my bookshelf fills with different dictionaries and learning books for the Japanese language :)

でも私わ日本語が良く分かりません :(

Feb 19, 2009 2:00 PM

Careful, the "wa" topic particle is actually written the the character for "ha" (は).

i.e.

私はXです。

Jul 9, 2011 2:14 PM

a little update
of course now I'm all monoligual with my cards and I actually lost that I talked about in the post like 2 years ago and then the new deck I've started since then is now 3000
but then I have other decks. But I'm glad I lost that deck because it's not all monoligual and because I had toooooooo many cards and deleting all the ones I don't need would take too long. Soemtimes a fresh start is good as unintended as it was.

The other decks I have are Yome, say it, RTK, sub2srs deck.

Yome is either just the kanji word or a sentence with a kanji word or a screenshot of a japanese tv show with the kanji word in it and I have to read it and know the meaning.

Say it is when I take a screenshot of the show and blank out a word or a particle or the gobi, anything I want to make more active learning and I have to say it when the card shows up with the blank.

RTK is remembering tthe kanji deck... I do the format as kakitori... so I change the keyword to Japanese... the actual word in japanese you write the kanji with.

sub2srs deck is made out of dramas and tv shows. it's on koohii if you want to find out more

AND there is another reason as to why I started learning japaense which is that so I can learn Korean. I know it sounds insane and it' slike isn't is just faster doing AKATT but for me personally it's either Japanese then korean or I won't learn any language. The inefficiency that I see with learning Korean from english or Learning korean without knowing japanese(mostly kanji) is just like HUGE. I wrote about it in my lang-8:

Yeah it's just time-consuming to explain but anyways I think now is a good time to go to korean just b.c. i dont have mcuh to learn from talk/variety shows as I used to not that my kikitori/listening is perfect (it's still stuck at 90% and I have to listen to certain parts over and voer and over to catch what they say or just post the video link o nchiebukuro and ask japanese ppl).
Modified by midori-, Aug 5, 2011 3:10 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jul 10, 2011 3:41 AM
日本の格闘技や日本の映画や日本のテレビゲームやそして日本のアニメが大好きわけです。10歳の時から日本に興味が深いので、日本語を勉強にしました。俺が入学した高等学校は日本語の授業を受けることが出来るから、迷わずに受けるにしました。動機はアニメなどので、1ヶ月後、字幕なしで見ようとしましたが、基本敵な文章しかわかりませんでした(笑)。そして高校2年生の時に、家に近く日本のゲームソフトを売っているゲームの店では、シェンムーというドリームキャストのソフトを買って、そのゲーム通してそして、日本を体験出来て俺が勉強した日本語を利用して、能力が上達になっていると思いました。そして、成績は最もえらくて卒業の前に夏休みの間に広島に留学しました。大学で勉強を続けて卒業してから、日本に暮らすに決心しました。現在、日本で暮らしているからまだ日本語を勉強しています。

Because I love Japanese martial arts, Japanese movies, Japanese games, and Japanese anime. I decided to study Japanese because I've had a deep interest in Japan ever since I was 10. I took Japanese lessons without hesitating because I could take them at the high school I went to. Since my motivation was anime, after 1 month, I tried watching without subtitles but all I could understand was basic sentences (lol). And during my second year of high school, I bought a copy of a Dreamcast game called Shenmue where I purchased it at a game store near my house that sells Japanese games, and through that game I experienced Japan and made use of the Japanese I studied and I think I improved my Japanese. And because my grades were the highest, before graduation I studied abroad in Hiroshima during summer vacation. I continued studying in college and after graduating, I decided to live in Japan. And I am studying Japanese because I live in Japan now.

Jul 15, 2011 1:23 PM

ParaParaJMo said:

Same reasons for me.
At age 10, I start learn few words from anime, when they said one word and there was a translation to my language, so I used it to learn, like Mizu (water), Sokka (I see), Yuki (Snow), etc.
However, it didn't helped me a lot.

A year ago from now I took it seriously (more or less) and start study Japanese online.
Now I can make few sentences, understand some scenes from an anime, and can read few kanji.

I want to learn Japanese as good as I can so I can AT_LEAST_ watch anime without dubs/subs.
Reading/writing is less interest me, but it helps me.
Speaking, also would be nice, if I ever come to Japan, I want to know some Japanese to speak with them. :)

About ParaParaJMo, he's lucky living in Japan, that actually what I would never get, probably because of the age. (I'm 18 now, but 2 years collage, 3 years army, 2 additional years army because the collage).
At age 25 will be probably too late for me, because I don't think I can get into job in Japan so easy, and get a wife will also be impossible, because of the age.

Anyway, I really want to finish the basics of Japanese language and start some advanced sentences, so I could write this message I wrote in Japanese. :D

Aug 5, 2011 3:11 PM

well you should look into japanese anime subs I gathered up links and stuff
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=91680

there's more sites and links whatnot for Japaense subs though for anime.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Nov 24, 2011 11:59 AM

it's better than watching re-runs or playing games on facebook or facebooking etc etc.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jan 9, 2012 9:48 AM

I started mainly because I like anime. I'm writing a blog about my learning to try and keep me going; if people could check it out, that would be really cool.
http://5kanjiaday.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/adventures-in-learning-japanese-the-beginning/

Feb 27, 2012 1:08 PM

Interesting stories, guys.

Mine isn't that interesting. I simply chose to do a degree in Japanese Studies on a whim.(so I'm paying a loooot of money to learn Japanese. I'm currently in the middle of an exchange programme at a Japanese University.

I have a loooot of respect for people that teach themselves, though. I see all these stories of people that drill hundreds and thousands of vocabulary/kanji/grammar patterns. I hear stories of people passing JLPT N1 after only a couple of years self-study! (although the JLPT is hardly a accurate gauge of a person's Japanese ability- but that's another story xD )
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ

Mar 11, 2012 9:17 PM

Interesting stories

I have very recently started to learn japanese. I really love/respect/enjoy Japanese culture; from their media (anime,manga,music,literature) to their way of life I have always been atracted to that beautiful island. Unfortunately that still wasn't enough motivation to get me moving on my own (I can be quite lazy :p) and since it wasn't easily accessible at the time I really wanted to learn, I didn't. (My highschool didn't offer it and neither did the college i attended PSEO through) After graduating said college and finding myself a stable job I started to entertain the idea again. The idea of knowing a different language excited me and the opportunity to give myself the means in which to become more immersed in the culture I love seemed like too good an idea to let pass by again. Also it never looks bad on a job resume to say you know a second language. Also also I am planning a trip to Japan with a couple friends and figured that while I most likely will not have learned near enough when the day comes at least it will be something. Right now I am currently using an android app (Human Japanese) to help myself get started and then plan on using rosetta stone to help as well once i am a little more grounded in my learning. I also have a friend who is very fluent in the language. Above all else though my reason for learning this language is because I am quite fed up with just wanting to do something and either not completely following through with it or not investing enough time and effort into it. Any help or tips are more than welcome

Mar 12, 2012 6:51 PM

I heard about Rosetta Stone, and personally I'm not too fond of the concept. But that's just me. The only recommendation I can give you is to use more than one source of Japanese input.

You can try to watch raw anime (make sure the language is easy, then escalate up to higher difficulties). It's the same principle for manga in Japanese. Japanese music is a really big help IF you can focus on the lyrics.

Mar 16, 2012 6:04 AM
To me, rosetta stone is one of the best teaching-program. Of course there are some good as well like "Your Japanese coach" for nintendo, but the problem is that I have not nintendo.
Ok... this idea came to my mind about a year ago, not quite so, but about a year. My classmate had brought table for kana and was repeating a i u e o, etc. Then I thought in my mind 'why not? I wanted to learn Japanese long ago'
But laziness kills me, I can't make myself work harder >_< If here was someone that knows Japanese and would like to teach me, (ha ha) and for exchange we'd just have a conversation in Eng, Russian (yeah, I know Russian too :D)

May 7, 2012 2:40 PM

Anime brought me to Japanese and everything, but my fascination with the written and spoken language brought me to learn this language. I was pretty surprised when I learned that Japanese uses Chinese characters, since at that time I could not even stand going to Chinese school. Eventually I just came to like Kanji and wanted to find out more about it, since it has connections to other languages. It is these historical connections that I want to find out how Japanese changed from before they started using a written language. This is part of why I am studying Linguistics right now, as well as Chinese and Japanese.

May 16, 2012 4:40 PM

I've always been fascinated by the iconic "samurai" of the past, and admired the code of the samurai because I myself today can identify with the code set forth many years ago (even got a nifty tattoo on my left arm). In addition, I also liked martial arts, and did a little Tae Kwon Do. I'm currently training in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. When I was younger, I grew up watching anime like DBZ and Digimon. Through High School, my appreciation for anime/manga dwindled, but I did catch one or two series that I still hold in my top five today.

It wasn't until my mid college career that I rekindled my love for anime. All thanks to Bleach, which has sadly ended. My friend told me about the series and after a few episodes I was immediately hooked. Soon enough I began doing research on the internet and discovered manga and I began immersing myself more and more into the anime/manga realm.

Recently I began picking up the language as part of learning as many languages as I can. Currently, I'm fluent in English and Spanish, and I plan to learn Japanese and Portuguese. I have both hiragana and katakana alphabets down, and am using RTK for kanji. I've been working with a one-to-one tutor who is proficient in the language.

My current goal is to apply to teach English in Japan as a means to immerse myself into the culture, and share a little bit of my background with those native to the country. I plan to take a teaching English certification course this summer, then apply to programs that have these opportunities in the fall. Hopefully by next summer I'll be on my way, but for now, I'll take it one step at a time.
Did you know every time you sigh, a little bit of happiness escapes? ~Senjougahara Hitagi

Jun 8, 2012 10:37 AM

At first it was because I have a deep interest in Japanese Animation and its industry. I'm still studying it (have been going in and out from it for the last 10 years), but now it's mostly because I want to communicate with my Japanese friends and from time to time I do some translation work as well. My biggest problem now is the terrible speaking ability I have because of the lack of practice and of course I do know that I'm missing a lot of vocabulary as well.

Pheefa said:
Ialthough the JLPT is hardly a accurate gauge of a person's Japanese ability- but that's another story xD

It is at least for the reading skills parts and more or less for the listening skills. But I agree that I have seen people that have 2kyuu or 1kyuu level and they speak terrible.
Otaku no naka no Otaku, Otaking ni narimasu -- Otaku no Video, Gainax, 1992.

Jun 20, 2012 3:21 AM

I love Japanese culture in general and I watch anime since my childhood in the 80´s xD

I study Japanese to play my japanese games and read my mangas ( I love buy japanese mangas and not mangas in English/Spanish/Portuguese...), I have a lot of friends living in Japan and I hope meet this beautiful country one day^^

Jun 22, 2012 5:06 AM

ssss

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jun 27, 2012 12:32 PM
Anime and employment opportunities, I guess.

Jul 12, 2012 12:10 PM
because i think Japanese language is quite interesting and most probably because it make it easier when watch anime(you don't have to 100% depends on the subtitle) and sing the songs of the anime... i began to learn it through anime and the the classes i took in my university... Japanese Language rocks! :D

Aug 28, 2012 7:44 AM
今の目的は日本語能力試験の2級と1級を合格出来るためです。先日、1級を受けた友達の結果が出ました。1点で合格出来ました!!!! 俺も受けてみたいほど感動されました。がんばります!!!

Now my objective is to pass levels 2 and 1 of the JLPT. Just th eother day, my friend who took the level 1 got his results. He was able to pass by 1 point!!!! I am so touched that I want to try it. I will give it my best!!!

Aug 29, 2012 1:52 AM

ParaParaJMo said:
今の目的は日本語能力試験の2級と1級を合格出来るためです。先日、1級を受けた友達の結果が出ました。1点で合格出来ました!!!! 俺も受けてみたいほど感動されました。がんばります!!!

*一級を合格出来るため→一級に合格するため
「・・・を合格する」とは絶対言わない。「・・・を合格させる」はたまに使う。「息子を合格させる」とか。
動詞による「に」と「を」の基本的な使い分け。言語学的解説で覚えるより直感として馴染ませたほうが良い。

日本人でも知らない人が多い、漢字とひらがなの使い分け。「出来」は混合名詞、主に「デキ」として読む場合に用いる(出来合い・出来上がり)。動詞・副詞の「できる」は原則ひらがな。

「できる」と目的・目標を意味する「ため」は複合できません。「できるようになるため」、あるいは「するため」にしましょう。
「彼は一級に合格できるため、優秀な文系大学に受かるでしょう」など、原因を意味する「ため」との複合は可能です。

*1点で合格出来ました→1点でギリギリ合格できました
「できた」は上記と同じ。
別に「ギリギリ」そのものに正当性があるわけではないんだが、何らかの副詞か形容詞などがないと「あと一点で合格できました」(つまり不合格だった)という捉え方もできてしまう曖昧性が残ってしまうので注意。

*受けてみたい→受けてみたくなる
感動したということは、自分に変化がなくてはならない。以前から受けてみたかったならこの文は成立しない。つまり、受けてみたくなるほど、そう心変わりするほど感動したのである。「なる」という変化を表す動詞が必要。
ちなみに、この「なる」を「成る」と書かないのも「できる」と同じ。

*感動されました→感動しました
「感動される」は通常「感動する」の三人称的用法であり、敬語の一種でもあります。「私は感動されました」とはほとんど言いません。ましてや、さっきまで通常の丁寧語だったのに急にそんな重苦しい敬語に変えられては、齟齬が生じてしまいます。友達が自らの合格に感動して、それに連動して自分も受けてみたくなった、と捉えられてもおかしくはありません。これも解説云々より使用頻度に比例する直感の問題です。詳しくはこちらをどうぞ。

ちなみに、僕は学ぶ学ばないではなく、物心つく頃にはもう英語も日本語も知っていたっていう事例です。

As for me, I'm one of those people who just knew English and Japanese before having a sense of reality.
Modified by ap19, Aug 29, 2012 2:10 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。

Sep 9, 2012 4:09 AM
for future traveling, I guess.
because i'm attracted to the japanese culture and i think the japanese language is interesting.
Strangely enough i'm having less problems learning this language than my second langauge french (my country speaks two languages; dutch & french).

Dec 8, 2012 10:49 AM
My interest in Japan began when I was 14, last year. The latest edition in my favourite video games series, Ace Attorney, wasn't going to be translated. So I decided to try myself. At first, I didn't intend to learn the language but I just fell in love with it.

I got books on kana, kanji and the grammer, and I taught myself. I loved it so much nothing ever seemed to frighten me, I just kept doing it as much as I could. I have completed my books on kana and am now practicing radicals.

I realized that I have a love for Japan. I never knew it before, languages never interested me as a child. I love the culture of Japan, and I'm reading many books on its history and culture! I love manga and anime, so my interest in Japan has had an effect on my artwork. I want to be a translator, a manga artist and a japanologist all at the same time.

I love J-drama too. It's so funny and I love how the plotlines revolve around friendship and love. J-pop, J-Rock and Visual Kei are my favourite types of music. It's amazing how everything that is Japanese is amazing. I didn't think I'd enjoy the music or the shows but they're awesome!

I'm so happy I found Japan, because, in turn, it helped me find myself. I know more who I am than I ever have and I feel proud to be a Japan lover! Seeing all your experiences has built on mine. It's great to see how many people have found Japanese.

There's just something about it. The Kanji are so intricate and beautiful. I love it!

日本、ありがとうございます!愛してる!

Jan 2, 2013 3:44 PM

Kuradachi said:
Anime brought me to Japanese and everything, but my fascination with the written and spoken language brought me to learn this language. I was pretty surprised when I learned that Japanese uses Chinese characters, since at that time I could not even stand going to Chinese school. Eventually I just came to like Kanji and wanted to find out more about it, since it has connections to other languages. It is these historical connections that I want to find out how Japanese changed from before they started using a written language. This is part of why I am studying Linguistics right now, as well as Chinese and Japanese.

altiske said:
for future traveling, I guess.
because i'm attracted to the japanese culture and i think the japanese language is interesting.
Strangely enough i'm having less problems learning this language than my second langauge french (my country speaks two languages; dutch & french).
Manga_Freak said:
because i think Japanese language is quite interesting and most probably because it make it easier when watch anime(you don't have to 100% depends on the subtitle) and sing the songs of the anime... i began to learn it through anime and the the classes i took in my university... Japanese Language rocks! :D

I'm sorry for my laziness, but, mine is all these main ideas summarized

May 18, 2013 11:27 AM

Ive always been fasinated with languages. been trying to learn random languages since the 3th grade. In 9th grade i decided to learn japanese and stuck with it. I enjoyed all the benifits that came with learning the language and the country associated with it. Idols, anime, and just being able to speak japanese were all great motivators.

May 21, 2013 1:55 PM

日本が好きなですから。そして、日本人の女性は一番可愛いですよ。:)
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」

Jul 1, 2013 3:20 AM

pauro19 said:

I'm so ridiculously happy that I can read that. Also, fancy meeting you here! :P

Anyhoo, my interest in Japan started at a very young age. I've always been really obsessed with robotics and technology, so naturally, I ended up reading quite a bit about stuff like that from Japan. I remember having a load of robotics books when I was in kindergarten and most of the really cool advanced stuff always seemed to come from Japan. I remember seeing the really early versions of ASIMO being shown off. Man, those were good days.

Aside from that light interest, I grew up watching things like Pokemon and Sailor Moon. It's interesting to me how there's so much Japanese culture that I had no idea I was becoming accustomed too -- I never would have figured that the sort of things I saw in those shows were actually (lightly, in most cases) based on reality. Seeing the characters snack on rice balls and spend time in onsen weren't really things that I gave much thought to until I realized they were part of ordinary life in Japan. (Mannerisms too!)

A little bit later in life (high school, mostly) I got more into video games (JRPGs) and anime. I never went full-blown otaku, but I've recently started watching WAY more anime than I ever have in my life. In the last couple of years, I've taken a really deep interest in Japanese culture. I can't be sure that I'm not just some annoying weeaboo, but I find myself learning more about Japan and being really impressed with the way that people live and think over there, thinking that it'd be a nice way to live myself. At the moment, I'm learning Japanese to try and make things go smoothly when I make my first visit, which I hope will happen very early next year, assuming I can land a job soon. If I really like it there, I'm going to arrange to visit again and live there one day if I feel like it's where I should be.

Also, I have the yellow fever.

Jul 23, 2013 10:20 AM
My interest in Japan was always there from when I was little, as I prefered things like Pokemon to western cartoons. When I was a bit older, say 8, I discovered a TV station by the name of Animax, from which I few anime like Mahou Sensei Negima! and Angelic Layer. A few years later the channel was taken down as it was bought by Sony and became Sony Max. One of my friends who also watched anime managed to get a copy of Negima which I really enjoyed. I then started downloading my own anime and reading manga online. (In my country manga is very hard to come by) After about 3 years of accumulating over a terabyte of anime, 50 gigs of OST, a few visual novels I could start to call myself an otaku.

Well now onto the language part. I received a Japanese phrasebook from my father one day when I was about 10 for no particular reason. I didn't do anything with it for maybe 2 years but then started reading it as I became curious as to how the writing system worked. I became hooked and learned my kana within about a week, stroke order and all, and tried learning some basic kanji. After watching so much anime, listening to the language, learning the language and finding friends with the same interests I decided that I would try to get an english teaching job in Japan after graduating from University. I feel like this is something that will most likely be a very interesting and enjoyable way to spend a few years and get some life experience.

Well that's about all
"If we are all pieces of god, is everyday judgement day?"

Aug 1, 2013 1:36 AM

Well, when I was little, like any other kid I watched a lot of cartoons. Some of those turned out to be anime, but I learned that only last year. Anyway, somewhere around 5th-6th grade, my friends started watching Naruto. At first, I think I hated it. I don't know why, I don't even know if I remember correctly, but I have this feeling. Then I decided to give it a try. First try - episode 100. Second try, a couple of months later - episode 150. Third Try - I finished it. Shippuuden was only 120 eps when I did it, but I watched the new episodes every week. Then I stopped, because I didn't get time, I was 8th grade and it was starting to lose its glow.
However a friend of mine watched Bleach. Now you know that a lot of people always argue which is better, Bleach or Naruto. I didn't. I watched it. I liked it. But I got tired of the fillers and stopped after 320 ep.
The next things were visual novels. Last year, a guy from my class told me about a newly developed free game called Katawa Shoujo. I downloaded it, but I was like
What the hell!?!? How are you supposed to play this shit?!?! It's only text!
Of course, that only lasted about 5 mins. I liked the story and I read it. Took me a week to finish all routes. And then I wanted to read another one. This is how I stumbled upon Clannad. Everybody said it was very good, but at first I couldn't find where to download it from (I'm a pirate by the way, I don't pay for games, mostly because I don't want to spend more money than I can, although that has changed lately). Anyway, so I couldn't find a decent release, but I found the anime. I watched it. Now I have to say that this anime changed my views of a lot of things, but that's another topic.
After that Fairy Tail came up. I watched it aswell, although only untiil 120 ep, cause after that there were only post-timeskip fillers. That was in June last year. After I watched it I actually installed the Clannad VN, I played it, I liked it, but I dropped it midway, because Tomoyo After was not translated yet and I lost motivation. Don't ask me why.
Soon after that I learned about MAL. I don't remember if I had watched other anime, but after I registered here I started adding every single title I hear to my PTW list. I also started looking for various genres. MAL really helped me in my "anime career". And basically it came down to Visual Novel sand anime. And then a nightmare came up. You know how there always translators are for famous titles? Well, I stumbled upon a lot of VNs which were not translated. BAM! It was really sad. Then I told myself - I'll learn Japanese and start translating these. And I did try to learn it. I learned Hiragana, but I couldn't bring myself to learn katakana and eventually I dropped the whole "project". It was a pathetic attempt. Anyways, I read on the Internet that there were some JP-studying organisations in my city, but I didn't really believe they were decent so I didn't go. Up until the following happened:
Maths class. I was so bored I decided to write whatever I know in Japanese in Hiragana. Maths teacher came to my desk, looked at the notebook and said:
-Are you learning Japanese?
-Well, not exactly learning but yeah.
-Why don't you go to <an organisation>?
(I played dumb) - Ah, there is such a thing?
Anyway, I knew about that organisation, and then I received just what I wanted - a recommendation fom someone. Soon, I went there and they told me it would take about 2 months to form a group. I was patient. 2 and a half months later my course started. That was on 11 May 2013. I was so eager to learn that when they gave us the 100 kanji for N5 I learned them in a week. Well, not with all their readings and meanings, but overall I did a good job.
My course's on break right now, restarts on 1 September. I'm currently making my own flashcards for the N4 Kanji, I hope I can learn at least half of them by the end of August.

Well that's pretty much all of it. Thanks for reading (^_^)/

Aug 8, 2013 5:01 PM

Aurumai said:
pauro19 said:

I'm so ridiculously happy that I can read that. Also, fancy meeting you here! :P

Anyhoo, my interest in Japan started at a very young age. I've always been really obsessed with robotics and technology, so naturally, I ended up reading quite a bit about stuff like that from Japan. I remember having a load of robotics books when I was in kindergarten and most of the really cool advanced stuff always seemed to come from Japan. I remember seeing the really early versions of ASIMO being shown off. Man, those were good days.

Aside from that light interest, I grew up watching things like Pokemon and Sailor Moon. It's interesting to me how there's so much Japanese culture that I had no idea I was becoming accustomed too -- I never would have figured that the sort of things I saw in those shows were actually (lightly, in most cases) based on reality. Seeing the characters snack on rice balls and spend time in onsen weren't really things that I gave much thought to until I realized they were part of ordinary life in Japan. (Mannerisms too!)

A little bit later in life (high school, mostly) I got more into video games (JRPGs) and anime. I never went full-blown otaku, but I've recently started watching WAY more anime than I ever have in my life. In the last couple of years, I've taken a really deep interest in Japanese culture. I can't be sure that I'm not just some annoying weeaboo, but I find myself learning more about Japan and being really impressed with the way that people live and think over there, thinking that it'd be a nice way to live myself. At the moment, I'm learning Japanese to try and make things go smoothly when I make my first visit, which I hope will happen very early next year, assuming I can land a job soon. If I really like it there, I'm going to arrange to visit again and live there one day if I feel like it's where I should be.

Also, I have the yellow fever.

I nearly forgot that I have this job! I was so busy having fun on the casual thread. Anyways, getting back to learning. My interest in Japan starts when I've realied that most of my hobby came from them. Anime, games, etc. And I like Japanese women at most, so I want to marry one. xD
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」

Aug 9, 2013 4:10 PM

pauro19 said:
And I like Japanese women at most, so I want to marry one. xD

Totally the same here. It's hard to admit it without coming off as an annoying weeaboo loser though. xP

How are you learning Japanese? Maybe we could help one another out some time. ;)

Aug 12, 2013 2:19 PM

I like Anime, Manga and video games. I also think Japanese girls are cute so I wanted to 軟派 Osakan girls like a boss...

Now I'm married to one she stands infront of the tv when I play video games and teases me all the time for watching anime and buying gundam models.

You just can't win.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »