Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think scores on MAL are skewed too high?

New
Do you think scores on MAL are skewed too high?
Jul 12, 2013 9:54 AM

Dec 2012
I do. I think the terms should be changed -- like "5" should be "Average" -- so people will start using scores below 7 more often. As it is, everyone crams all of their scores into the top 3 or 4 points, so it doesn't allow for a lot of variation.
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2013 9:55 AM
May 2012
Lol. You think people use those rating scales in the first place?
Jul 12, 2013 9:55 AM
Mar 2011
Oh Hell yeah
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 12, 2013 9:57 AM

Dec 2012
Sophilia said:

I certainly do, and I'm sure many others do too. But yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who slap a 10 on there if a show gives them a modest stiffy.

Jul 12, 2013 9:59 AM
May 2012
obtrice said:
Sophilia said:

I certainly do, and I'm sure many others do too. But yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people who slap a 10 on there if a show gives them a modest stiffy.
I meant the "average" and "good" etc.

Most people adjust it, changing their average to be even a 7/8. So it's skewed even higher.
Jul 12, 2013 10:00 AM

Mar 2011
obtrice said:
I do. I think the terms should be changed -- like "5" should be "Average" -- so people will start using scores below 7 more often. As it is, everyone crams all of their scores into the top 3 or 4 points, so it doesn't allow for a lot of variation.

5 is already officially called "average" by the site. People don't pay it any mind.

People don't like using the rating below 5 for some reason. I think it's because they are rationalizing that below 5 is like a negative number, and so they literally must have loathed any show below a 5 or something. That's stupid, but that's how it is.
Jul 12, 2013 10:00 AM

Nov 2010
5 is average.
Jul 12, 2013 10:01 AM

Sep 2012
I don't care how people rate. It's their list, I have mine.
I don't take the score into account when picking an anime anyway.
Jul 12, 2013 10:02 AM
May 2012
Jauregui said:
I don't care how people rate. It's their list, I have mine.
Jul 12, 2013 10:04 AM

Mar 2012
Wrong board.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 12, 2013 10:04 AM

Apr 2013
Yes.
Jul 12, 2013 10:05 AM

Oct 2012
What MAL should do is come up with a separate aggregate by averaging individual user scores to 5 before calculating the total. But this probably requires more mathematical chops than Xinil is capable of, unfortunately...

I know for a fact that certain prominent (err... regulars) posters in the forums don't know how to use a 1-10 scale. They think it's like high school. 60 gets you an F, that's a 6/10.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 12, 2013 10:05 AM

Dec 2012
InfiniteRufus said:
obtrice said:

5 is already officially called "average" by the site. People don't pay it any mind.

People don't like using the rating below 5 for some reason. I think it's because they are rationalizing that below 5 is like a negative number, and so they literally must have loathed any show below a 5 or something. That's stupid, but that's how it is.

Ah for some reason I thought 5 was "Decent" or something. Must be thinking of a different site. Still, it would be nice if people treated 5 like an average.

Jul 12, 2013 10:07 AM
May 2012
katsucats said:
What MAL should do is come up with a separate aggregate by averaging individual user scores to 5 before calculating the total. But this probably requires more mathematical chops than Xinil is capable of, unfortunately...

I know for a fact that certain prominent (err... regulars) posters in the forums don't know how to use a 1-10 scale. They think it's like high school. 60 gets you an F, that's a 6/10.
60 is a D
Jul 12, 2013 10:10 AM

Oct 2012
Sophilia said:
katsucats said:

60 is a D
Well, 59 is an F, and you round up, right?

It really doesn't matter D or F. What's important is that 1-5 will never be used because if 1-59 (or even 1-50) all count as "the lowest score", then a 2 will be exactly the same thing as a 5 according to these tards.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 12, 2013 10:13 AM

Mar 2011
obtrice said:

Ah for some reason I thought 5 was "Decent" or something. Must be thinking of a different site. Still, it would be nice if people treated 5 like an average.

Yeh, a 4 is called "decent". That's what gets me.
Jul 12, 2013 10:14 AM
Jul 2012
No duh? Yes it is high.
Jul 12, 2013 10:14 AM
Oct 2012
I wrote a blog post about this the other day: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=734683

I've heard a lot of people say things like "MAL users act like 7/10 is average, so any show with a mean score below 7 is probably bad." Well, to a degree, that's true, but the "mean score" is a little deceptive. See, even if I say "5/10 is average," my rating distribution will never be a perfect bell curve centered at 5 (or 5.5) out of 10. Why not? Well, because I generally try to watch things I think I'll enjoy, obviously.

I, like most fans, and like anyone intelligent, watch more shows I've heard good things about than shows I've heard were mediocre to bad. That's just common sense. For me to give as many 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s as I do 7s, 8s, 9s and 10s, I'd need to watch as many bad shows as I do good shows, and why would I do that? Everybody watches more things they like than things they don't, unless they're insane and just watch everything they come across indiscriminately. Therefore, it's obvious that more people who choose to watch a given show will like it than dislike it. Most people who think it's gonna suck won't bother to watch it, you know? So that's why you can't expect the average score for the average anime to be between 5 and 6 points out of 10.

In general, most people who think a show looks interesting enough to be worth watching will score it at least a 5 or better, because people aren't going to choose to watch things they think will be worse than average. That's just common sense. Then consider that, for completed anime, only the scores of those people who've seen at least 20% of the episodes are counted. Many of those people who started watching a show and decided they didn't like it within the first 20% will drop it too early for their scores to be counted toward the average, further increasing the show's average score.

EDIT: Also, uhh...

obtrice said:
I do. I think the terms should be changed -- like "5" should be "Average" -- so people will start using scores below 7 more often.

I don't know where you've been, but...

IWannaDeleteThisJul 12, 2013 10:22 AM
Jul 12, 2013 10:24 AM

Jul 2012
Anything worthy of being called "bad", "Very bad", "Horrible", or "Appalling" is going to get dropped, simple.
As a lot of people don't actually give 2 shits about the rankings, and use the list for their reference only, seeing something in the dropped section is enough to know you didn't like it. I think there is enough haters and troll accounts to even out the scores anyway.
Konbu is important
Jul 12, 2013 10:28 AM
Mar 2011
yes if we go by school ratings of averges than for me av would be 79.89 that was the av test score in my high school
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 12, 2013 10:29 AM
Oct 2012
Linus_ said:
If they simply removed the numbers, I'm sure people would vote that way. They wouldn't even have to change how they calculate the average, just remove the numbers from view when people rate the anime, and on peoples lists substitute the words.

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure most people already do vote that way, or at least nearly. If the global mean score changed at all, I doubt it'd be by more than a point.
Jul 12, 2013 10:30 AM

Oct 2012
SuperHands said:
I think there is enough haters and troll accounts to even out the scores anyway.
There are literally millions of people using this site. How many troll accounts do you suppose there are? Anyways, if this were true, MAL's mean score wouldn't be something around 8.

Having a mean score of 8 means either you watched 50/50 6-8 rated shows and 8-10 rated shows, or you gave 75% of your list 8-10, and 25% a 4-8. If anyone is serious about this, then I sure hope his Dropped list is at least twice the size of his Completed list, however that is rarely the case.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 12, 2013 10:32 AM

Jun 2009
Most people score things by their enjoyment of the show, regardless of the actual quality of the show compared to others. Also, I'm only going to watch things sound like they appeal to me, so naturally my scores are going to be positive in general.
Jul 12, 2013 10:35 AM
Oct 2012
Trapalicious said:
Most people score things by their enjoyment of the show, regardless of the actual quality of the show compared to others.

lol, as if there were such a thing as "actual quality of [a] show."
Jul 12, 2013 10:36 AM

Oct 2012
Trapalicious said:
Most people score things by their enjoyment of the show, regardless of the actual quality of the show compared to others.
I literally don't see a difference. The quality of the show is how much you enjoy it. And because of certain qualities in the show, hopefully you enjoy certain shows more than others, and when you enjoy a show more than another show, you might as well be comparing them.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 12, 2013 10:38 AM

Jul 2011
I don't know that they are inflated. I know other sites offer scoring as well, but take Fairy Tail for instance, where only 2k people have rated it on anidb where as on MAL 70+k have rated it, so it's reasonable there is a difference in the actual rating. On anime-planet 20k+ have rated it, and the score there is actually higher overall. Of course this is only one anime, but I'm to lazy to look up others to actually make a conclusion. =P

For me personally, I started watching anime in 2011. I had seen anime prior to that, but I had never actually gotten into it enough to sit and watch a full series. At any rate, in 2011 my ratings are much higher than they are now, as I had not been exposed to the same regurgitated plot lines, jokes, cliche's etc. I suppose one could say I am becoming jaded and as such my rating's have dropped overall. I would imagine for other 'casual' watchers, their ratings overall would be higher in general, but I also think majority of people (myself included) rate based off enjoyment which tends to lead to higher scores overall imo. Unless you're like me and a bit of a masochist who finishes any series they start regardless.

Jul 12, 2013 10:40 AM
Oct 2012
katsucats said:
Trapalicious said:
I literally don't see a difference. The quality of the show is how much you enjoy it. And because of certain qualities in the show, hopefully you enjoy certain shows more than others, and when you enjoy a show more than another show, you might as well be comparing them.

And people do compare them. How often do you see a list that's literally 100% 10/10 ratings? The thing you people don't seem to understand is that most people actually use some discretion when deciding what anime to watch. If everybody on the site were to watch all 8000+ anime in the database and give scores to every last one of them, the mean score would probably be about 5/10. That's never going to happen, though, thank God. People watch shows that they expect to enjoy. If I don't expect to end up giving a show a score of at least 5/10, I'm probably not going to start it in the first place, or if I do, I'll probably be dropping it after an episode or two.
Jul 12, 2013 10:41 AM

Dec 2012
Just a quick glance:

1-460 = 8.0 or higher
460-3020 = 7.0 to 7.99
3020-5770= 6.0 to 6.99

I'm not sure how many anime are listed on here but I got tired of looking. In any event, that's a hell of a lot of series that are above average.

The best response I've seen so far (above) is that people drop things they don't like. The complicating factor is that many reviews are based on just like the first few episodes.

Jul 12, 2013 10:42 AM

Apr 2011
I think it should just be a 1/5 or 5star rating system since the majority rates that way anyways. All the people who take the anime ratings too seriously would hate it, but I think overall it would be better. Who really cares though?
Jul 12, 2013 10:44 AM
Mar 2011
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I think it should just be a 1/5 or 5star rating system since the majority rates that way anyways. All the people who take the anime ratings too seriously would hate it, but I think overall it would be better. Who really cares though?

this idea i like

Jul 12, 2013 10:44 AM

Apr 2011
obtrice said:
Just a quick glance:

1-460 = 8.0 or higher
460-3020 = 7.0 to 7.99
3020-5770= 6.0 to 6.99

I'm not sure how many anime are listed on here but I got tired of looking. In any event, that's a hell of a lot of series that are above average.

The best response I've seen so far (above) is that people drop things they don't like. The complicating factor is that many reviews are based on just like the first few episodes.

Well that IS a big part of it. Unlike say movies anime series take quite a bit of time to actually complete, not many people are going to waste their time watching something they don't enjoy.

DateYutaka said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

this idea i like

1=bad, 2=mediocre/below average, 3=average, 4=good, 5=great/amazing.

There's really no need for a "masterpiece" rating, if you want to clarify why something stands out from other great/amazing anime do so in a review or tag.

There's actually another MAL like site that uses that rating system, I can't remember what its called though.
FintanJul 12, 2013 10:49 AM
Jul 12, 2013 10:52 AM
Oct 2012
Well that IS a big part of it. Unlike say movies anime series take quite a bit of time to actually complete, not many people are going to waste their time watching something they don't enjoy.

This is part of the reason movies and OVAs (especially shorts) often have such comparatively low mean scores. As the time investment necessary decreases, people grow increasingly more willing to sit through the whole thing, even if they're not really into it. On the other hand, look at something like Gintama': Not only is it 51 episodes long, meaning that nobody's score counts toward the mean until they've watched 11 or more episodes of it, but it's also the sequel to a 201 episode series. What that means is that very few people who didn't watch all 201 episodes of Gintama will be watching Gintama' at all, so 99% of the scores for Gintama' came from people who enjoyed the series enough to sit through at least 212 episodes of the anime -- ignoring the OP and ED sequences, that's over 74 hours of anime. How many people have such worthless lives that they're willing to sacrifice 74 hours to watch an anime they don't even think is worthy of a 5/10 score?

Jul 2011
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

There's actually another MAL like site that uses that rating system, I can't remember what its called though.

Anime-Planet is the only one I know of that uses 5 stars. However they include .5 in that, so it's still effectively 10 possible ratings.

Apr 2013
I really haven't watched that much anime (compared to most MAL users) so I'm still picking up the more reputable ones. Until I've ran out and need to search a little harder it really doesn't surprise me my scores are skewed a little high, naturally as I watch more I can refine my list but I don't see them falling all that much.

The biggest problem is if I really don't enjoy an anime it's usually got little to do with the execution and more to do with the fact it just wasn't to my taste, I really can't judge orange juice for tasting too much like oranges so I tend to just not add it at all.

I do find it easier to work off the "appalling" - "masterpiece rating" if I'm stuck trying to give it number, I mean if it's pretty good but not great it's clearly a low 8 or high 7, but I'm not sure that's the most accurate way, I mean I'd say the distance between 6-7 is the same as between 7-8 but the difference between good and very good would feel smaller that the difference between very good and great.
Jul 12, 2013 10:53 AM

Jul 2012
katsucats said:
SuperHands said:
I think there is enough haters and troll accounts to even out the scores anyway.
There are literally millions of people using this site. How many troll accounts do you suppose there are? Anyways, if this were true, MAL's mean score wouldn't be something around 8.

Having a mean score of 8 means either you watched 50/50 6-8 rated shows and 8-10 rated shows, or you gave 75% of your list 8-10, and 25% a 4-8. If anyone is serious about this, then I sure hope his Dropped list is at least twice the size of his Completed list, however that is rarely the case.
Well I did say haters as well. The people who drop and don't bother scoring a series, or don't even bother adding it to their list at all, are the minority, likewise the troll accounts and haters are the minority.
Konbu is important
Jul 12, 2013 10:55 AM

Oct 2012
AstralAxolotl said:
katsucats said:
Trapalicious said:
And people do compare them. How often do you see a list that's literally 100% 10/10 ratings?
Very often. And very often I see mostly 9's and 10's, and a few 8's and 7's, as if most anime they watch are masterpieces, and they can't distinguish between anime #2 and anime #34. I guess since MAL's overall average is 8, this is probably common practice.

AstralAxolotl said:
The thing you people don't seem to understand is that most people actually use some discretion when deciding what anime to watch. If everybody on the site were to watch all 8000+ anime in the database and give scores to every last one of them, the mean score would probably be about 5/10. That's never going to happen, though, thank God.
You're wrong on this. There are about 6327 rated anime on MAL. Only 26 of them are rated below a 5.

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=&limit=6300

AstralAxolotl said:
People watch shows that they expect to enjoy. If I don't expect to end up giving a show a score of at least 5/10, I'm probably not going to start it in the first place, or if I do, I'll probably be dropping it after an episode or two.
You have a Completed list of 249 and a Dropped list of 16. I wasn't even on your case, let's not get defensive here.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 12, 2013 11:00 AM
Oct 2012
SuperHands said:
people who...don't even bother adding it to their list at all, are the minority.

This is extremely wrong. Death Note, the most popular anime on the site, has 343,432 members. MAL as a whole has close to three million users. 90% of MAL users haven't "bothered adding it to their list at all." This is incredibly relevant, as most people who don't think they'll like a show will never start it to begin with.
Jul 12, 2013 11:04 AM

Jul 2011
katsucats said:
. I guess since MAL's overall average is 8, this is probably common practice.

I'm curious where you found the overall average for MAL? I wasn't aware it was so high, it'd be interesting to see that broken down.

Jul 12, 2013 11:05 AM
Oct 2012
katsucats said:
AstralAxolotl said:
katsucats said:
Trapalicious said:
And people do compare them. How often do you see a list that's literally 100% 10/10 ratings?
Very often. And very often I see mostly 9's and 10's, and a few 8's and 7's, as if most anime they watch are masterpieces, and they can't distinguish between anime #2 and anime #34. I guess since MAL's overall average is 8, this is probably common practice.

Most people, when they first get into anime and discover MAL, start watching things from the "Top Anime" list. Why would you start elsewhere? People watch the most highly rated shows first, and, predictably, they rate them highly as well. If a show is "mostly 9s and 10s, and a few 8s and 7s," that is most definitely "comparing them," so thanks for proving my point.

katsucats said:
AstralAxolotl said:
The thing you people don't seem to understand is that most people actually use some discretion when deciding what anime to watch. If everybody on the site were to watch all 8000+ anime in the database and give scores to every last one of them, the mean score would probably be about 5/10. That's never going to happen, though, thank God.
You're wrong on this. There are about 6327 rated anime on MAL. Only 26 of them are rated below a 5.

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=&limit=6300

You're not getting it. Read everything I've said again, and see if you can figure out why that's irrelevant.

katsucats said:
AstralAxolotl said:
People watch shows that they expect to enjoy. If I don't expect to end up giving a show a score of at least 5/10, I'm probably not going to start it in the first place, or if I do, I'll probably be dropping it after an episode or two.
You have a Completed list of 249 and a Dropped list of 16. I wasn't even on your case, let's not get defensive here.

lol, there was nothing "defensive" about that. For what it's worth, my other list has far more dropped shows, but what's more important than the 90+ shows I've dropped are the 8,000 shows I've never started in the first place.
Jul 12, 2013 11:08 AM
Oct 2012
rekindledflame said:
katsucats said:

I'm curious where you found the overall average for MAL? I wasn't aware it was so high, it'd be interesting to see that broken down.

The mean average is actually 7.29 according to MALgraph.
Jul 12, 2013 11:09 AM

Dec 2012
AstralAxolotl said:
rekindledflame said:
katsucats said:

In either case, the point still stands that the average is a 7, rather than a 5.

Jul 12, 2013 11:09 AM

Apr 2009
well most of them are inaccurate but they give you a general idea if the show is awful or decent atleast.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jul 12, 2013 11:11 AM
Oct 2012
obtrice said:
In either case, the point still stands that the average is a 7, rather than a 5.

As it should be, as anyone with the most basic grasp of statistics and common sense should understand.
Jul 12, 2013 11:17 AM

Jul 2011
AstralAxolotl said:
rekindledflame said:
katsucats said:

I don't think malgraph is accurate honestly, I had looked at that, but it says there are only 6 manga rated a 1 and 91 anime. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly positive there are more than 91, anime rated at 1. Just from the posters on this thread, there are 30 not including the dropped list naturally.

*EDIT*
Never mind, there is no doubt it is inaccurate.

Mars of Desturction
1 43.0% (2835 votes) and as it's only 1 episode all those ratings of 1 would be factored in.

I believe the reason why, is you actually have to use Malgraph at least once (or have someone search your name) to pull that individuals stats from the database otherwise they are not factored in.
rekindledflameJul 12, 2013 11:23 AM

Jul 12, 2013 11:22 AM

May 2013
Everyone's average is different. We aren't all cynical bastards, so our averages are naturally quite high. Mine is 6 for example, so you know if I rate something below a 6, then you just shouldn't bother with it.
Jul 12, 2013 11:27 AM
Oct 2012
rekindledflame said:
I don't think malgraph is accurate honestly, I had looked at that, but it says there are only 6 manga rated a 1 and 91 anime. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly positive there are more than 91, anime rated at 1. Just from the posters on this thread, there are 30 not including the dropped list naturally.

*EDIT*

Mars of Desturction
1 43.0% (2835 votes) and as it's only 1 episode all those ratings of 1 would be factored in.

Two things about the MALgraph globals:

1. It's not a 100% perfect representation of all MAL users' data. It only shows data for people who've generated MALgraph pages before, which is a small percentage of the total user base. Still, I think it's a pretty accurate representation.

2. You're misinterpreting the graph. I'm not certain, but I believe what it says is that there are 91 shows to which MALgraph users have given 1/10 scores.
Jul 12, 2013 11:27 AM

Jun 2012
Why do you care so much about ratings on MAL? Nobody takes this shit seriously.
Jul 12, 2013 11:29 AM
May 2012
rekindledflame said:
AstralAxolotl said:
rekindledflame said:
katsucats said:

*EDIT*

Mars of Desturction

I believe the reason why, is you actually have to use Malgraph at least once (or have someone search your name) to pull that individuals stats from the database otherwise they are not factored in.
I don't get it.
Jul 12, 2013 11:30 AM

Jul 2011
AstralAxolotl said:

2. You're misinterpreting the graph. I'm not certain, but I believe what it says is that there are 91 shows to which MALgraph users have given 1/10 scores.

Right, and there are only 102 user's registered in MALgraphs database (as of June 28th) which means it's global average is insignificant which is why I'm curious where 8 (though I have no problem believing this)came from and if there is another means to actually see said data.....other than the seriously painful method of doing it by hand. I shudder at that thought.

Shuhan said:
Why do you care so much about ratings on MAL? Nobody takes this shit seriously.

It's serious business, cause my scores are obviously better than everyone else's. People need to sit down and take some damn notes clearly. =P

Jul 12, 2013 11:33 AM

Oct 2009
lol? 5 is already "Average"...

Here is the problem I see -

Every score is labelled by a a bunch of fundamentally subjective words (great, horrible, etc)...except for 5. for 5 they throw in something commonly associated with mathematics (although, of course, it is subjective too)

Because of this, 5 might be designated as the mean score, which it is not (I am going to assume this since if we were to be following some kind of mean-based system, then 5.5 would be the mean). I think that they should associate 5 with something like "fair", "mediocre", or "so-so"

I gave Monster, Baccano, and FLCL a 10, 8, and 2, respectively.

Let's say that these 3 anime are the only anime that I've watched. My mean score would be a 7.5 (as opposed to a 5/5.5) I will give Monster a 10, because I loved it and thought that it was a masterpiece; and FLCL a 2, because I found it horrible. This leaves Baccano. If my target mean score were to be 5/5.5, then I'd have to give Baccano a 3/4.5, which would imply that I found Baccano somewhere in between very bad and fair/mediocre (which is currently known as average). This, however, would go against what I actually found the anime to be - between good and very good (7-8).

If ~5 is to be someone's mean score, then it would suggest that that person is finding anime to be pretty much so-so.
RandomChampionJul 12, 2013 11:37 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 3 hours ago

5 by Kamikaze_404 »»
15 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 8 hours ago

5 by Spunkert »»
27 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 2 hours ago

6 by PostMahouShoujo »»
40 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

54 by Meusnier »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

52 by Meusnier »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.