Forum Settings
Forums

With limitless power to weave any story into existnce and we get these...

New
Jul 11, 2013 2:37 PM
Jul 2012
generic, uninteresting, bland, and banal anime with twistless plots?

Every season (or every 2 seasons), there's just around one anime series out of the plethora of releases that is interesting. Is it really that hard to sit down and ponder of epic plots? Not really. I've read so many made-up stories on these mangaka forums and they far surpass the quality of plot in anime being released right now. So wtf? Is the anime industry intentionally making bad anime or are demands just weird...like Japanese tastes (panties in a can, 'nuf said)?
stanklem28Jul 11, 2013 10:16 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 11, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2012
This is going to unintentionally come off as an insult but you don't really get the anime industry, do you?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 11, 2013 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
NickyCharisma said:
This is going to unintentionally come off as an insult but you don't really get the anime industry, do you?
he doesn't.
Jul 11, 2013 2:43 PM

Apr 2011
Sex sells.
Jul 11, 2013 2:45 PM

Oct 2012
Then do you want someone to explain it to you?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 11, 2013 2:46 PM

Dec 2012
The possibility of weaving any story into existence doesn't mean that it's easy to create a great one. Nor does it mean it's easy to get it recognized and funded.
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Jul 11, 2013 2:48 PM

Apr 2011
obtrice said:
The possibility of weaving any story into existence doesn't mean that it's easy to create a great one. Nor does it mean it's easy to get it recognized and funded.

Exactly. Easier said than done.
Jul 11, 2013 2:56 PM

Apr 2013
obtrice said:
and why waste time with all of this when you know ecchi/comedy sells.
Jul 11, 2013 2:58 PM

Oct 2012
And it's not just that, the whole way that anime is funded is bass-awkwards.
Jul 11, 2013 3:00 PM

Jan 2010
Kinda makes me wonder though. Assume there was a season where every anime released would had been a big hit if they were released in any other regular season. Compared to the average, each of these shows would had gotten a 9/10 or 10/10 by the large majority of anime fans, as well as receiving critical acclaim by even the most jaded of critics. However, they're released alongside one another.

Would the anime industry explode over this? Would anime fans completely empty out their wallets to support everything? Would it bring in a large amount of new viewers? Would fans become exhausted? Would the bar for "great anime" be risen so high that, if the following seasons didn't have the same output, there would be an even larger outcry of anime dying? Assuming there were 15 of them, would at 1, 2, or even 5 of the slightly inferior anime get slaughtered by the rest through the fandom's helplessness in supporting every single title?

Just a couple of things that came to my mind. It sounds nice and it would be really exciting, yeah, but I'm not sure what would really happen.
Jul 11, 2013 3:05 PM

Feb 2013
I have funds, do you have ideas? Let's employ someone and put in place a new anime studio. We shall make anime to please everyone... or maybe, not.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 11, 2013 3:09 PM

Aug 2009
Oh look. Another rant. My usual replay:

Jul 11, 2013 3:10 PM

Oct 2012
sherlock5545 said:
I have funds, do you have ideas? Let's employ someone and put in place a new anime studio. We shall make anime to please everyone... or maybe, not.

Even though one in-between animator only makes 15,000 dollars salary, you still need a lot of people and a lot of money to make one show.
Jul 11, 2013 3:14 PM

Feb 2013
NickyCharisma said:
sherlock5545 said:

Even though one in-between animator only makes 15,000 dollars salary, you still need a lot of people and a lot of money to make one show.

It was sarcasm ;)

I know it's not easy task and it takes a lot of money just for a single show.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 11, 2013 3:14 PM

Oct 2012
sherlock5545 said:
NickyCharisma said:
sherlock5545 said:

It was sarcasm ;)

Well I wasn't talking to you!
Jul 11, 2013 3:15 PM

Dec 2012
Kickstarter may change things
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Jul 11, 2013 3:23 PM

Nov 2008
The anime industry is all about selling BDs/DVDs/Merchandise end of story. Innovative stories rarely sell these items.

Jul 11, 2013 3:26 PM

Oct 2012
Even then, there are limits to it. Although if Takeshi Koike were to purpose a Redline 2, I would bankrupt all my friends and family without them knowing it just to fund it.

Edit: So I guess that I forgot to quote but what I'm referring to in my statement is Kickstarter.
NickyCharismaJul 11, 2013 3:32 PM
Jul 11, 2013 3:32 PM

Sep 2012
Another chronic complainer.
Seriously I don't get why people keep watching anime if they are not satisfied with it.
Nigga, just move to another medium.
Jul 11, 2013 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
Jauregui said:
Seriously I don't get why people keep watching anime if they are not satisfied with it.

To be fair, they are probably disappointed that anime isn't meeting its potential as a medium.
Jul 11, 2013 3:34 PM

Jan 2009
I'm sure you're quite the writer yourself. I am sure you have written stories that the likes of and Shakespeare would praise... >>
Jul 11, 2013 3:50 PM

Aug 2009
NickyCharisma said:
Jauregui said:

To be fair, they are probably disappointed that anime isn't meeting its potential as a medium.

To be even fairer, every medium has the same limitless potential.

Jul 11, 2013 3:52 PM

Oct 2012
FacelessVixen said:
NickyCharisma said:
Jauregui said:

To be even fairer, every medium has the same limitless potential.

To be fairer still, other mediums are more diverse. Movies are made all around the world as are games created and novels written. Anime only comes from one insular place on Earth.
Jul 11, 2013 3:53 PM

Sep 2011
obtrice said:
No it wont, there will be projects that normally never happen through it but it wont effect the industry much

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 11, 2013 3:57 PM

Jun 2012
I like how the guy who admittedly doesn't support the anime industry complains about it.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jul 11, 2013 3:57 PM

Oct 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
obtrice said:
No it wont, there will be projects that normally never happen through it but it wont effect the industry much

What if enough projects like Kick-Heart get funded are become too popular to ignore?
Jul 11, 2013 4:05 PM

Jul 2013
It's like this with most entertainment mediums. Tons of films come out every year that are unoriginal, generic bullshit. American TV shows tend to be lame, uninspired sitcoms. It happens with everything, though maybe anime does experience it more frequently. It's all about business.
The problem with the world is that it's always one drink behind.
Jul 11, 2013 4:07 PM

Oct 2012
Holybaptiser said:
I like how the guy who admittedly doesn't support the anime industry complains about it.

Wait what? I was defending a jerk like that?
Jul 11, 2013 4:10 PM
Jul 11, 2013 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
sales sales sales, sex sells, etc

that is why some undeserving shows like High School DxD get sequels

Jul 11, 2013 4:17 PM

Feb 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
(img)
does discussion need to lead to change to be worthwhile, or in this case does it need to affect the anime industry to be worthwhile?
Jul 11, 2013 4:19 PM

Aug 2009
NickyCharisma said:
To be fairer still, other mediums are more diverse. Movies are made all around the world as are games created and novels written. Anime only comes from one insular place on Earth.

Japanese animation. American animation. Two different reigns. Two different styles. Same fundamental creative process. Same method of production (give or take a few techniques). Same amount of potential to be meaningful in the wold of animation on a global level.

But that's just me, although I wouldn't directly compare Cowboy Bebop to Looney Tunes on a point by point basis.

Zeally said:
sales sales sales, sex sells, etc

that is why some undeserving shows like High School DxD get sequels

I want my fifth season of Ikkitousen, dammit!

Jul 11, 2013 4:23 PM

Oct 2012
FacelessVixen said:
NickyCharisma said:

Japanese animation. American animation. Two different reigns. Two different styles. Same fundamental creative process. Same method of production (give or take a few techniques). Same amount of potential to be meaningful in the wold of animation on a global level.

But that's just me, although I wouldn't directly compare Cowboy Bebop to Looney Tunes on a point by point basis.

But there's a fundamental difference in business model between American Studios and Japanese ones.
Jul 11, 2013 4:28 PM

Feb 2012
No-one cares stankface.
Jul 11, 2013 4:43 PM

Jan 2009
undercoverism said:
maybe you should give manga a try.

burntlettuce said:
I'm sure you're quite the writer yourself. I am sure you have written stories that the likes of and Shakespeare would praise... >>
do you need to be a writer to critique a text? i guess it would help establish your opinion's "credibility" but i feel perfectly capable of assessing how good or bad, for example, a movie is, without having made a movie myself. i feel like that would be true even more so with writing or dialogue because everyone engages in that in one form or another.

He didn't critique, though. He asked how hard was it to write a good story. I personally have recently started writing a novel and it is damn difficult. People come up with ideas, but stringing them together in a coherent path that is both meaningfully and relatable is a lot harder than one might think.

Is it really that hard to sit down and ponder of epic plots? Not really. I've read so many made-up stories on these mangaka forums and they far surpass the quality of plot in anime being released right now.
Jul 11, 2013 4:47 PM

Aug 2009
NickyCharisma said:
But there's a fundamental difference in business model between American Studios and Japanese ones.

Then that's an issue of getting the idea into production, not coming up with a unique idea, which I guess is stanklem's argument. Sucks when a lack of funds hinders the process of creative ideas getting inked and printed, but it doesn't mean that a lack of funds equates to a lack of creative ideas.

Besides, it's all subjective. What a few people like others will hate, and it's one pissing mach after another of subjectivity versus "objectivity".

Jul 11, 2013 4:47 PM

Dec 2012
burntlettuce said:
undercoverism said:
maybe you should give manga a try.

burntlettuce said:
do you need to be a writer to critique a text? i guess it would help establish your opinion's "credibility" but i feel perfectly capable of assessing how good or bad, for example, a movie is, without having made a movie myself. i feel like that would be true even more so with writing or dialogue because everyone engages in that in one form or another.

He didn't critique, though. He asked how hard was it to write a good story. I personally have recently started writing a novel and it is damn difficult. People come up with ideas, but stringing them together in a coherent path that is both meaningfully and relatable is a lot harder than one might think.

Is it really that hard to sit down and ponder of epic plots? Not really. I've read so many made-up stories on these mangaka forums and they far surpass the quality of plot in anime being released right now.

I personally have an idea for a story that I really like and haven't seen done before (doesn't mean it hasn't, but I've looked around), but as you say, there's a difference between coming up with a crazy new idea and then turning into the real deal one hit wonder.
Jul 11, 2013 4:55 PM

May 2013
Arararraragi-kun said:

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
"A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword"-Sakata Gintoki
Jul 11, 2013 5:35 PM

Dec 2009
It's not just anime. It's also tv shows, Hollywood movies, and mainstream music.

Maybe certain anime developers don't mind losing credibility if they can still sell a bunch of copies, make the same amount of cash, and split it with less employees since they didn't higher good writers, soundtrack crew, etc. The better developers take longer to come out with new stuff & have more hands to pay but perhaps the same amount to go around. The only difference is the later company will have better credibility and we'll keep returning for their shows while the others we learn to stop watching their junk, they make a few quick bucks and go away. Hopefully.

Unfuckwittable said:
It's like this with most entertainment mediums. Tons of films come out every year that are unoriginal, generic bullshit. American TV shows tend to be lame, uninspired sitcoms. It happens with everything, though maybe anime does experience it more frequently. It's all about business.

Funny I just realized we said the same thing.
RyanBebopJul 11, 2013 5:38 PM
Such junk...
Jul 11, 2013 6:32 PM

Oct 2011
Money.
"Do not allow yourself to be blinded by fear or anger. Everything is only as it is."
Jul 11, 2013 6:42 PM

Oct 2012
@FacelessVixen: I see what you're saying and I agree more than I disagree. Art is inherently subjective but there is art that appeals to a mass audience. Look at The Dark Knight or in our own medium Fullmetal Alchemist. They were both critically and commercially successful. And if there are creative ideas but they aren't produced, what good are they?
Jul 11, 2013 7:06 PM

Nov 2011
obtrice said:

For 1-2 episode OVA's, maybe.

For 12+ episodes series?, doubt it. Those cost way to much money.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 11, 2013 7:10 PM
Feb 2012
I didn't know copying machines allowed this thread to pop up again.
Jul 11, 2013 7:18 PM

Oct 2012
rederoin said:
obtrice said:

One OVA could change the world. GitS, for example.
Jul 11, 2013 7:20 PM

Nov 2011
NickyCharisma said:
rederoin said:
obtrice said:

GitS did not start off as an OVA, and it did not change the world.

Jul 11, 2013 7:22 PM

Oct 2012
rederoin said:
NickyCharisma said:
rederoin said:
obtrice said:

C'mon! It's impact in the North American anime audience cannot be understated.
Jul 11, 2013 7:23 PM
Feb 2012
NickyCharisma said:
rederoin said:
obtrice said:

Maybe for you but not for the whole world.
Jul 11, 2013 7:25 PM

Nov 2011
NickyCharisma said:
rederoin said:
NickyCharisma said:
rederoin said:
obtrice said:

C'mon! It's impact in the North American anime audience cannot be understated.

NA is not really that relevant to the industry, compared to Japan itself.

Jul 11, 2013 7:25 PM

Oct 2012
LimeSlate said:
NickyCharisma said:
rederoin said:
obtrice said:

Maybe for you but not for the whole world.

IT"S HYPEBOLE PEOPLE! A FIGER OF SPEECH!
Jul 11, 2013 7:26 PM

Sep 2008
Twists are overrated.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

37 by Hitagi__Furude »»
9 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 4 hours ago

11 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
14 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

14 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
33 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

111 by logopolis »»
36 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

122 by BigBoyAdvance »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.