Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 11, 2013 4:09 AM

Apr 2013
MFKAE86 said:
Madoka Magica? Heard that some people cried.

Yeah the ending is kind of what you would not expect at all. Dramatic plot twist.
Jul 11, 2013 4:18 AM

Dec 2012
jammydodger63 said:
Clannad After Story. Just everything about this show was pathetic. I wish this anime never existed.

Then why are almost all your posts about it? :P
Jul 11, 2013 5:42 AM

Feb 2010
Clannad is a tearjerker; the ending was just insulting.
Jul 11, 2013 6:28 AM

May 2013
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Clannad is a tearjerker; the ending was just insulting.

I just feel there's still enough plot to keep going for another season or something, the ending was really rushed and didn't really answer anything.
Jul 11, 2013 6:32 AM

Apr 2013
Hotaru no Haku, is just retarded, I'm sorry but it is.
Jul 11, 2013 6:37 AM

Jan 2008
Hotarubi no Mori e. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show, it had A LOT of feels at the scene but the show was just too short and the relationship between the two was a bit lacking because of that. The feels were there but the waterworks were not.
Jul 11, 2013 6:43 AM

Dec 2012
Lol what ? people cried at Madoka? crying over fiction is still beyond me..
Jul 11, 2013 6:57 AM

Jan 2008
tsudecimo said:
Lol what ? people cried at Madoka? crying over fiction is still beyond me..

Jul 11, 2013 7:07 AM

Apr 2011
Angel Beats and Clannad = Ridiculous overdramatization. Had me yawning.
Jul 11, 2013 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
Katanagatari
destonyDbabyJul 11, 2013 7:13 AM

Jul 11, 2013 7:08 AM

Sep 2010
Seems most of this thread is just about Angel Beats! and Clannad/AS so far. Angel Beats! I went into without any prior knowledge/expectations and actually really liked and though I didn't remember, the comment I left myself on it says it made me cry.

With Clannad I felt I really had to battle through the first season (it bored the hell outta me) to get to what I'd been told was an amazing 2nd season. Tbh the most memorable part of C:AS for me were the episodes with Katsuki in. I loved that. In the end I decided C:AS was emotionally powerful and gave it a 9, but in all honesty I barely remember anything about it and I never liked any of the main characters.

I may have to admit I'm usually a bit of a sucker for the emotional ones. Where I tend to really conflict with 'popular opinion' is on shows that are supposedly really intelligent masterpieces e.g. FLCL, 5 Centimetres Per Second, Bakemonogatari. But that's a different topic.
Jul 11, 2013 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
Nidstang said:
destonyDbaby said:
Togame death, it took too fucking looonnnggg!!

Spoiler

Ah yeah my bad. but this thread... but did you expect?

Jul 11, 2013 7:52 AM

Jul 2011
Angel Beats
AnoHana
Saikano

-- I forget about Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

I do not understand why these series are supposed to be sad
PralandJul 11, 2013 8:49 AM
Jul 11, 2013 7:56 AM

Jan 2011
Clannad AS
AnoHana
Toradora
Jul 11, 2013 8:42 AM

Aug 2010
Tokyo Magnitude tried hard to be a tear jerker. It was okay, but it kinda failed.
Jul 11, 2013 11:39 AM

Mar 2013
Definitely Angel Beats! for me as well. Just not enough episodes to make me care about the characters.
Jul 11, 2013 12:32 PM

Nov 2010
saikano :(

i think because it was a bit to dramatic and so i was prepared for shit hitting the fan xD
Jul 11, 2013 12:37 PM

Feb 2013
In a couple of years this thread will have all the drama anime listed here. Hence, we can assume no anime is actually tearjerker.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 11, 2013 12:41 PM

Nov 2010
sherlock5545 said:
In a couple of years this thread will have all the drama anime listed here. Hence, we can assume no anime is actually tearjerker.

it's more that diffrent people react diffrently to this ;)

i laughed at angel beats and it also made me cry, same with clannad AS...

i posted saikano but i know friends of mine cried like children because of it, i just knew realy bad things where going to happen and so i made myself (unknowingly) imune :D
Jul 11, 2013 1:42 PM

Nov 2008
Angel Beats! failed, but I didn't really expect to feel any sadness. Air, on the other hand, made some people I know cry so I expected a lot and ended up being utterly disappointed.
In contrast, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is the saddest anime I've watched so far without expecting it to be that sad in the slightest.
Jul 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Jan 2013
I'm surprised Madoka Magika was tear worthy.
Jul 11, 2013 9:14 PM

Dec 2012
Guilty Crown didn't tear me up- not one bit. I get that the ending was mean't to be dramatic and all but I just... didn't feel it after Shoe (Shu) became a possessive bastard.

AnoHana didn't make me cry either - I was sad and I (think I forced myself to) was teary; sure, but not... bawling out tears like a friend of mine was. I felt it was kind of forced towards the end- because one moment they were doubting the MC, the next they're crying over Menma. If it was longer and much more evenly spaced out then I most likely would have cried.

Papa no Iukoto didn't make me cry either- my friend certainly was tear jerky and sad when they
but I wasn't. It was saddening though to see the girls re-adapt to their normal school life as they live with their uncle but it didn't send me to tears.

True Tears as well- I heard a lot of people cried because of it and I'm just in doubt about how stupid the love interest is, and how blind the MC is. The main thing in the series that was disheartening was the MC's best friend and how he was just being 'used'.
Jul 11, 2013 9:16 PM

Jun 2013
ef. I thought I was gonna cry, but good thing I didn't.
Jul 11, 2013 9:25 PM

Nov 2012
I haven't even shed a single tear to any anime I've been told I would. I feel I've been lied to...
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Jul 11, 2013 10:47 PM

Dec 2012
On the other side of the spectrum, i didn't think i would cry while watching/reading Mirai Nikki yet somehow I managed to feel extremely sad and started crying in the last few chapters or so.
Jul 11, 2013 10:51 PM

May 2012
Shinryuken said:
KawanoMino said:
Elfen Lied. Didn't really get why it was sad.
Same
The characters were so bad that i didn't even care

This. Plus the so called "traumatic" subway scene was animated so horribly that I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.
Jul 11, 2013 11:15 PM

Dec 2012
Air
That was pretty lame, I think I need to rewatch the end because I didn't get anything

Nihilfist said:
Shinryuken said:
KawanoMino said:
Same

This. Plus the so called "traumatic" subway scene was animated so horribly that I couldn't help but laugh my ass off.

meh, I felt like a pedophile watching all the naked scenes in it and the gore was pretty mood killing as well

Jul 11, 2013 11:24 PM

Dec 2012
Zylaboy said:
Nihilfist said:
Shinryuken said:
KawanoMino said:
Same

meh, I felt like a pedophile watching all the naked scenes in it and the gore was pretty mood killing as well

So true Elfen lied was horrible I didnt understand at all lol it made no sense and the characters were terrible the animation was so old it doesnt even make any sense hahaha
Jul 11, 2013 11:29 PM

Jun 2013
Objurgo said:
So true Elfen lied was horrible I didnt understand at all lol it made no sense and the characters were terrible the animation was so old it doesnt even make any sense hahaha

.... :']

Jul 12, 2013 12:47 AM

May 2013
Kuranadoshit, kanonshit, angel beats shit, anohanashit, airshit, oh and SAIKANO SHIT ;C
Jul 12, 2013 3:47 AM

Mar 2012
Clannad: Afterstory.

I didn't cry because I was too angry at how stupid
Stupid
Jul 12, 2013 4:02 AM

Feb 2012
AnoHana

Clannad
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jul 12, 2013 4:26 AM

Dec 2012
KingLear said:
AnoHana

I hated the girl was well but i enjoyed the anime as a whole for the reason i like anura or something like that

Jul 12, 2013 4:33 AM

Mar 2012
I was told that I would cry at sola but I did just about everything but. I kinda get the emotional attachment to the show if someone has one, but it just didn't make me cry...and I'm a frequent crier when it comes to sad anime.
Jul 12, 2013 4:57 AM

Feb 2010
Steins;gate and AnoHana

Watched the S;G while it aired and missed something. The people I've known that watched it seem to all cry during the "deep" parts of the scene. Apparently I was supposed to cry at something I didn't even imagine was suppose to be sad. The anime was more humorous than emotional to me.

AnoHana, oh man the reactions videos are quite something. This anime just seems like it's entire sole purpose was to be a tearjerker.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2013 8:58 AM

Dec 2011
KawanoMino said:

This and Clannad AS, for Clannad AS it's mostly because I didn't care about Tomoya or Nagisa at all.

and this

missunify said:

Stupid
MitsukiHimekaJul 12, 2013 9:30 AM
Jul 12, 2013 9:09 AM

Oct 2008
AnpanLass said:

Why do people keep making pointless duplicates all the time? -.-

This forum would be pretty dead without duplicate threads, especially with the rule about necromancers.
Jul 12, 2013 9:20 AM

Nov 2010
AnpanLass said:
This thread is exactly the same as "Anime that should have made you cry".

there is a report button for that ;) i use it all the time hahaha especially when it's a topic you just know is going to bring all the trolls in :D
Jul 12, 2013 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
kickthebucket said:
AnpanLass said:
This thread is exactly the same as "Anime that should have made you cry".

there is a report button for that ;) i use it all the time hahaha especially when it's a topic you just know is going to bring all the trolls in :D

Please do, my eyes are beginning to hurt from all the eye rolling this thread is causing me to do :P
Jul 12, 2013 12:38 PM

Jun 2007
missunify said:

Stupid

It's not so much that, as there could've been some degree of accident in the timing. More like,
Jul 12, 2013 12:54 PM

Mar 2013
Clannad After story. All my friends said it would make me tear up, and it did.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Jul 12, 2013 1:54 PM

Feb 2013
I must admit it's not like I literally cried watching an anime, or any other sort of entertainment. Some anime are sad, and therefore cause an emotional distress.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Nov 14, 2014 10:55 AM

Aug 2011
missunify said:

Stupid

You know what was really stupider?
Her bloody illness! Main symptom: a fever. What do you mean they can't treat it? Let's say that for some reason you can't find the cause, impossible, but let's say so. Then give her some bloody Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen and drink a lot of water. There you go, your treatment!
Nov 14, 2014 11:02 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty much everything that's most commonly recommended as a tear jerker LOL. The harder they try, the harder they fail. It's subtlety that evokes emotion, not dramatics.
Nov 14, 2014 11:06 AM

Apr 2014
Gymkata said:
Pretty much everything that's most commonly recommended as a tear jerker LOL. The harder they try, the harder they fail. It's subtlety that evokes emotion, not dramatics.
Nov 14, 2014 11:09 AM

Nov 2014
Angel Beats!
Too many death stories that happen rarely in real life. Besides, the purple haired girl was kinda a bitch.

Clannad After Story
Clannad's a good show and all, but it isn't much of tearjerker. I cried during the first season, though, when Nagisa cried during her stage performance.
Nov 14, 2014 11:10 AM

Jul 2014
Lol I just finished AnoHana, and I didn't find it that sad at all.
Nov 14, 2014 11:13 AM

Aug 2014
Grave of the Fireflies, Kannazuki no miko
Nov 14, 2014 11:16 AM

Mar 2012
Just a few ones from recent memory.

1. Angel Beats. I don't think a show is sad if it's trying too hard to achieve that effect. If all of the characters are designed to make you sad then... what's the point? I did not find this show funny or sad. I felt the execution was terribly lackluster.

2. Clannad: After Story. Not very sad. It 'could' have been a real tearjerker but ultimately just felt like it was trying to force me to cry, and the Deus Ex Machina ending didn't really make any of it seem worthwhile.

3. Guilty Crown. Impossible to care about a protagonist that can't decide on his own personality for more than two episodes before changing his archetype completely. Horrible pacing, forced/rushed development. Nothing remotely sad.

Just those three for now. Honestly, people. I'd say as a rule of thumb that if an anime is supposed to be sad or evoke an emotional response, it need not be a theme for the entire show. If an anime is trying too hard to evoke feels constantly, then odds are it's ignoring more worthwhile themes.

Edit: Just to clarify. I don't like it when a show in any medium looks at me and says 'it's time for you to laugh at this scene', or 'hey, this is sad, you should feel sad now'. Effects like this are better achieved in a more natural manner without forcing the point.

Lelouche's death was sad. Poor Nunnally.
Nov 14, 2014 11:19 AM

Nov 2012
clannad
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 5 hours ago

20 by Jellybeanx »»
1 minute ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

24 by WaffleMaster89 »»
6 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 9 hours ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

45 by Ratris_Decision »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 4 hours ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.