Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2013 12:02 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, that's it.

I guess what I liked most about this Yugioh was the fact that they actually showed the characters doing other things than just playing card games all the damn time.

Seriously, the name of this anime is "King of games"....as in ALL games, not just duel monsters.

The bad thing is that the majority of the show was very episodic and unlike duel monsters there's not much storyline going on.

I like Kaiba a lot more as a villain than his "anti-hero" role in duel monsters, although Mokuba as a villain is just plain stupid.

Talking about stupid and utterly useless......Miho.

Wow!

I'm so glad they completely wrote her off the show, she did nothing and I could just imagine her in duel monsters annoying the fuck out of everyone and not contributing a damn thing in return.

Overall, there's some nice things to like about this version of Yugioh, but duel Monsters is still superior IMO.

6/10
--ALEX--Jul 9, 2013 12:06 PM
Oct 13, 2013 7:29 AM

Aug 2012
I rate Anime based on enjoyment and at first i was feeling that i would give it a 6/10 at best, which only happened a very few times, but after watching this i actually enjoyed it.

I feel sorry that we didn't get to see more card games and with the ''regular'' rules, but it was enjoyable to see the Yugioh challenging the bad guys in every kind of games, that's what the real King of Games should be about. Way better than i was expecting, kinda reminded me of other series such as One Outs and Akagi due to the ''gambling'' nature. 8/10.
Mar 25, 2014 3:31 AM

Oct 2013
I thought this anime was quite good, with maybe the exclusion of a few episodes (last few) as i found some of the monster world stuff a bit boring.

Enjoyable watch, a nice alternative to the duel monsters focused anime
Jul 25, 2014 10:58 AM
May 2013
The animation was really bad ... I've seen anime from ''80s with better animation than this.

It was enjoyable , too bad Miho won't appear in Duel Monsters :(
Dec 26, 2014 8:24 PM

Jan 2013
Was a decent series, nothing special.
7/10
Mar 28, 2015 2:53 PM

May 2014
What was the point of those two monsters that Yugi turned into allies? Anyways, I love Yami Bakura but I'm glad Ryou was able to separate himself from him. Wondering why Miho doesn't appear in DM though???

7/10

Apr 8, 2015 2:30 AM
Mar 2015
Overall I enjoyed this anime. although the card game battles were boring sometimes. I liked all the characters, besides Miho-chan. She was annoying and I'm glad she isn't in Duel Monsters which I tend to see at some point.

The animation was really nothing to shout home about. It looked okay sometimes. but sometimes looked really bad, especially on some of the characters. I wonder if they had different artists drawing the characters.

It's a shame that the anime wasn't picking up until the last few episodes. The monster world was a little bit dragged out affair from my point of view. It's not a masterpiece, but still worth watching.

6/10
ElsmandearkaApr 8, 2015 2:46 AM
Dec 26, 2015 6:55 PM

Feb 2008
Most people wondering about Miho, the thing is, she was just a side character in the manga. I think she only appears in the love letter chapter and never again. A weird choice to make her a main character here, but I guess maybe they wanted to balance the character genders.

Also this and DM are done by two different studios and have no connection at all, aside from adapting the same manga. But yeah, unlike DM, this one was really low budget. And the fact that only VHS rips are available don't help it either.

Overall I enjoyed this show (read this part of the manga beforehand) although some things felt a bit watered down, and some changes made no sense. Most notable change was the first Capsule Monster episode. It was supposed to be Mokuba's debut, instead some nerd fought Yugi. And they cut some hilarious episodes where Yugi tries to kill a guy for stealing his space in the school festival.

While the manga and DM put a big focus on friendship, it never felt as hilarious as in this show. They literally say "How could you defeat me!" "Because I have friends!"

I'd recommend people to read the manga as well, as the characters are even crazier in the manga. Yugi and Kaiba are lunatics there. DM's Kaiba was so watered down compared to manga's Kaiba who even killed Pegasus' men to save Mokuba.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
May 5, 2016 8:03 PM

May 2012
Well that's the end to this, while the last couple episodes sure were interesting, the start and overall story progression was just slow and boring...

I do wonder what the alternative version of this franchise will have to offer, but in general I do like the concept and looking forward what it will have to offer!

That said, for this series as it is, it was fine but nothing too good to be honest!
Jun 20, 2016 2:33 AM

Oct 2014
Fun show. The characters are much more developed than in Duel Monsters. It was funnier too. I enjoyed this more than expected for sure. 6/10 (Above Average)
Sep 16, 2018 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
Can't get more shounen-y. 5/10
Oct 22, 2019 8:21 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nooooo it is finished, it was really good I loved the games and Yami Yugi, 8/10
Nov 11, 2019 11:00 PM

Dec 2011
Fixing everything through the power of friendship felt more ridiculous than usual, but combined with them looking like deformed blobby dolls, it was very cute.

At first I thought Miho would stay useless but she kind of grew on me in the second half. Overall my favorite thing about this was seeing everyone be more expressive, Yugi's faces in particular. Seeing everyone's lives outside of DM makes me wish we had a little more of that but oh well - oh, and the fashion! Apart from Yugi's school uniform we only ever saw him in swimming trunks? lol

It was nice to see how the ygo we know today began. King of games, I see no lies.
May 2, 2020 5:14 AM
Jan 2018
Well, let's say my second favorite episode after 26. As usual... The last episodes are always historical
Jun 6, 2020 9:50 PM

Jan 2011
I was hoping this series would be more over the top. I know it's toned down compared to the manga, so more incentive to read it, I guess.
Jan 17, 2021 4:55 PM
Sep 2013
Fun watch especially after reading the manga about 12-14 years ago haha! Always loved how in season 0, Yami plays games other than duel monsters which actually signifies that he is the "king of games". Just wondering does anyone know of any anime that does something like RPG/D&D related (like the last 2-3 episodes)?
Apr 26, 2021 8:47 PM

Apr 2020
"Nothing is impossible as long as we care for our friends" -Jounouchi
Yugioh in a nutshell

I like this season, unfortunately it's so inconsistent so—5.5/10 (6/10)
Dec 9, 2021 6:09 AM

Jan 2020
Well at least I Had some good laughs with this show....
Dec 9, 2021 6:10 AM

Jan 2020
The power of friendship in this show is pale in comparison with Fairy Tail.....
Jul 9, 2022 4:09 AM
Sep 2021
good episode ending for the finale, Bakura was saved from the millennium ring and he and his friends return to their normal school life at the end. Friendship won.
I give this episode 5/100
The series gets a 6/10.
Sep 24, 2022 4:36 PM

Dec 2021
So that's how this strange non-card centric Yu-Gi-Oh ends? Neat! I liked this a ton. I'm probably never gonna watch Yu-Gi-Oh proper, since I really couldn't care less about the card game, but this anime was a huge treat for me. I will absolutely give this a 10/10, since the card game was shoved to the wayside, and I actually got to enjoy the anime for the characters and the scenarios instead. I'm not a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, but I'm a fan of THIS Yu-Gi-Oh!
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Oct 28, 2022 3:00 PM
Feb 2017
9/10

I really enjoyed the original series despite the, at times overwhelming, power of friendship trope. It really showed off the characters' personalities, relationships and lives while also having some pretty unique concepts for the Shadow Games. It was refreshing for every episode to be different and not just the same basic card battle concept for 200 consecutive episodes.

I do think it's a shame that the series went in a completely different direction. For all the hate that Miho gets, every character in DM onwards was reduced to a one dimensional duellist with no personality other than "cards cards cards, gotta win the next battle, etc."
Apr 9, 2023 8:49 PM

Nov 2015
I finished the OG Yu-Gi-Oh for the first time , and I have to say , I like the concept more than Duel Monsters , the anime name is literally "King-Of-Games" not King of Duel Monsters after all
Aug 7, 2023 5:21 PM
Sep 2014
Those episodes were fun and I wished the Duel Monsters series started from this point.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Episode 8 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Apr 30, 2016

6 by astrogonza »»
Mar 17, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 11 Discussion

pokecenter - Oct 12, 2013

7 by Ranxomare »»
Feb 27, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 10 Discussion

9 by Ranxomare »»
Feb 20, 6:29 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Episode 9 Discussion

8 by Ranxomare »»
Feb 16, 6:02 AM

» Can i still watch this?

_txhsin__ - Jan 23

8 by Early_Morning »»
Jan 26, 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.