Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 19, 2013 7:38 PM

Dec 2010
JonyJC said:
I only felt like discussing this now.
Hitchens said:

Religion isn't a necessary source for morality.

The morality system from any developed nation is based of religious values, remove it from the equation and what do you have left? A legal system isn't eternal and unchangeable what else will people believe in? The Government.

None of this says anything about why religion is necessary for morality.

JonyJC said:

Hitchens said:

So a lack of religion wouldn't necessarily lead to a lack of morality.

If there is no one true God then there is no single truth and anyone can make up their own set of moral values, social structures erode over time, Roman society wasn't eternal and neither are we.

Religion won't solve this. Everyone has their own interpretations regarding their religion. I don't know any religion that has all adherents following one single set of moral values.

You also don't clearly show how different set of moral values would lead to erosion of "social structures".

JonyJC said:

Hitchens said:

And you shouldn't expect atheism to offer you anything other than a lack of belief, since that's all it actually is.

Atheists are the most dogmatic people I know as proven by this and numerous other threads on this forums, with their smug and love for their so called lack of faith shoving it in my face comparable to Jehovah's Witnesses coming to my front door.

Or comparable to religious people who insist on marrying religion and morality.

With that said, I agree that religion today is used as a simple-minded scapegoat to explain the problems of the world. Religious people themselves are also guilty of this like the Christians who insist Islam is the reason why middle eastern people hate America.
Jul 20, 2013 2:57 AM

May 2013
Please don't use Egypt in your reasoning. You don't know a thing about it.
Jul 20, 2013 7:16 AM

Jan 2011
Rebas said:
JonyJC said:

The morality system from any developed nation is based of religious values, remove it from the equation and what do you have left? A legal system isn't eternal and unchangeable what else will people believe in? The Government.

It's in the next quote. An argument follows a logical train of thoughts.
JonyJC said:

If there is no one true God then there is no single truth

Meaning that you don't have any way to measure if what you are doing is right or wrong, sure the law sends you to prison if you kill, but the law isn't eternal, God is.

Rebas said:

JonyJC said:

If there is no one true God then there is no single truth and anyone can make up their own set of moral values, social structures erode over time, Roman society wasn't eternal and neither are we.

Religion won't solve this. Everyone has their own interpretations regarding their religion. I don't know any religion that has all adherents following one single set of moral values.

You also don't clearly show how different set of moral values would lead to erosion of "social structures".

I didn't say it solves anything I merely stated what is, that was a justification for why I think like I do. Your statement is wrong from a theological point of view even Christian branches all have the same base which dictates their morals.

If anyone can say "I'll do anything to get what I want because I deserve so and it is right" then your social structure falls apart.
Civilization is based on a social contract I would tell you at least part of what what it is but it would lead to even more discussion and subsequently derailing, what's the main difference between Ancient Rome, and the Northern Barbarians?
Rebas said:

JonyJC said:

Atheists are the most dogmatic people I know as proven by this and numerous other threads on this forums, with their smug and love for their so called lack of faith shoving it in my face comparable to Jehovah's Witnesses coming to my front door.

I don't insist on anything I'm merely holding a discussion to either improve or disprove what I think don't sneak in ad hominems that's irrational.
Jul 20, 2013 9:18 AM

Dec 2010
JonyJC said:
Rebas said:
JonyJC said:

It's in the next quote. An argument follows a logical train of thoughts.
JonyJC said:

If there is no one true God then there is no single truth

Meaning that you don't have any way to measure if what you are doing is right or wrong, sure the law sends you to prison if you kill, but the law isn't eternal, God is.

The law is usually enough to make people behave as they should in a civilization. If it isn't enough, you haven't shown how God will be,

And nothing is eternal in the world. In fact, the changing nature of civil law makes it better because it could improve with time.

JonyJC said:

Rebas said:

JonyJC said:

I didn't say it solves anything I merely stated what is, that was a justification for why I think like I do. Your statement is wrong from a theological point of view even Christian branches all have the same base which dictates their morals.

If anyone can say "I'll do anything to get what I want because I deserve so and it is right" then your social structure falls apart.
Civilization is based on a social contract I would tell you at least part of what what it is but it would lead to even more discussion and subsequently derailing, what's the main difference between Ancient Rome, and the Northern Barbarians?

No, it would not. Whatever they believe, they would still have to obey the laws of the land they believe in. I and many other I know don't agree with every law in my country and the country doesn't fall apart because of it.

You also haven't shown why the differences in morality within one religious group does not matter but the differences between groups does matter.

JonyJC said:

Rebas said:

JonyJC said:

I don't insist on anything I'm merely holding a discussion to either improve or disprove what I think don't sneak in ad hominems that's irrational.

Lol. The part of your post I was responding to here had nothing do with "holding a discussion." I just responded in kind.
Jul 20, 2013 9:58 AM

Jan 2011
Rebas said:

The law is usually enough to make people behave as they should in a civilization. If it isn't enough, you haven't shown how God will be,

And nothing is eternal in the world. In fact, the changing nature of civil law makes it better because it could improve with time.

I don't need to show you anything, history does that for me, religion has proven that it can hold people together; uniting all of Europe to expel Muslims.
Atheism on the other hand has yet to prove itself as being anything other than an expression nihilism
God is eternal, and change and evolution does not equal improvement.

Rebas said:

No, it would not. Whatever they believe, they would still have to obey the laws of the land they believe in. I and many other I know don't agree with every law in my country and the country doesn't fall apart because of it.

You also haven't shown why the differences in morality within one religious group does not matter but the differences between groups does matter.

What I'm arguing here is that the pillars of our current civilization are based of religious values and if the religion part of those value goes away eventually it will all crumble it doesn't mean it will all fall apart because you don't agree with a bunch of laws.

One is doing whatever it wants, the others are not. One is anarchic and uncivilized the other is not

Here is my premise: Lack of religion will eventually lead to the degradation of the current moral values because those themselves exist solely because of religion and without it they are meaningless.

Also "...laws of the land they believe in..." this is the kind of thought Atheism creates unfortunately.
Jul 20, 2013 10:05 AM

Dec 2010
JonyJC said:
Rebas said:

I don't need to show you anything, history does that for me, religion has proven that it can hold people together; uniting all of Europe to expel Muslims.
Atheism on the other hand has yet to prove itself as being anything other than an expression nihilism
God is eternal, and change and evolution does not equal improvement.

Still, not a word on how only religion can make people behave morally and how it can do it eternally.

JonyJC said:

Rebas said:

What I'm arguing here is that the pillars of our current civilization are based of religious values and if the religion part of those value goes away eventually it will all crumble it doesn't mean it will all fall apart because you don't agree with a bunch of laws.

One is doing whatever it wants, the others are not. One is anarchic and uncivilized the other is not

Here is my premise: Lack of religion will eventually lead to the degradation of the current moral values because those themselves exist solely because of religion and without it they are meaningless.

Also "...laws of the land they believe in..." this is the kind of thought Atheism creates unfortunately.

Once again you have nothing but a slew of unsubstantiated claims.
Jul 20, 2013 10:26 AM

Jan 2011
Rebas said:

and how it can do it eternally.

I never claimed that.

Rebas said:

I don't really know what you want, I've backed my claims throughout this discussion with thoughts of mine acquired by looking at history, however you have done naught to make an argument against any of them.
Since we don't seem to understand each other, write a premise of yours if you want to try and continue to have this discussion.
Jul 20, 2013 10:33 AM

Dec 2010
JonyJC said:
Rebas said:

and how it can do it eternally.

I never claimed that.

Rebas said:

I don't really know what you want, I've backed my claims throughout this discussion with thoughts of mine acquired by looking at history, however you have done naught to make an argument against any of them.
Since we don't seem to understand each other, write a premise of yours if you want to try and continue to have this discussion.

No, you haven't backed up anything. Looking at history only shows what happened in the past and is not proof of anything. There's still not a single argument from you that proves that only religion can make people behave morally or that lack of religion would have the consequences you claim it would.

All you have is nothing but unsubstantiated claims.
RebasJul 20, 2013 10:37 AM
Jul 20, 2013 10:36 AM

Oct 2010
JonyJC said:
I only felt like discussing this now.
Hitchens said:

Religion isn't a necessary source for morality.

No, no it isn't. That's actually a very absurd statement. Where did the morality that religion preaches come from? It sprouted randomly? It was decided that committing murder was bad? I don't think so. Its moral aspect comes as a way to respond to preexisting human concerns on that respect. If the decision of making murder immoral depended solely on religion, people wouldn't have followed it to start with. You can't change one's morals that easily. It is the fact one perceives that killing other people is bad what might tie them to religion, not the contrary.

JonyJC said:
Hitchens said:

So? What relation does it have with the quoted phrase?

JonyJC said:
Hitchens said:

And you shouldn't expect atheism to offer you anything other than a lack of belief, since that's all it actually is.

Lol at your sociological studies based on MAL users.
jal90Jul 20, 2013 10:43 AM
Jul 20, 2013 10:49 AM

Jan 2011
Rebas said:

No, you haven't backed up anything. Looking at history only shows what happened in the past and is not proof of anything. There's still not a single argument from you that proves that only religion can make people behave morally or that lack of religion would have the consequences you claim it would.

History has repeated itself more than once.
I don't get you and you don't get me, I've justified what I said with the existence of supreme moral authority, I don't know what else to tell you.
Do you believe in human rights? They can't be proven.
Jul 20, 2013 10:56 AM

Dec 2010
JonyJC said:
Rebas said:

I don't get you and you don't get me, I've justified what I said with the existence of supreme moral authority, I don't know what else to tell you.

So, you admit you have nothing concrete to substantiate your claims.
Jul 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Oct 2010
JonyJC said:
Rebas said:

Christianism doesn't allow murder, but witch hunt existed. At the same time, other people condemn these events based on the same precepts. How can morality come from religion when it elicits such blatantly different responses from its followers?

And no, human rights can't be proven. Your point is that I have my dogmas despite being an atheist? Yes, I have them. So?
Jul 20, 2013 11:01 AM

Jan 2011
jal90 said:

No, no it isn't. That's actually a very absurd statement. Where did the morality that religion preaches come from? It sprouted randomly? It was decided that committing murder was bad? I don't think so. Its moral aspect comes as a way to respond to preexisting human concerns on that respect. If the decision of making murder immoral depended solely on religion, people wouldn't have followed it to start with. You can't change one's morals that easily. It is the fact one perceives that killing other people is bad what might tie them to religion, not the contrary.

In a natural state killing a fellow man for a piece of meat is irrelevant, it only comes to be a worry when you're trying to maintain a certain level of organization or civilization, you can argue that the need for God came before God himself yes, the question if God existed before that or not is a theological one which I don't care about.
JonyJC said:
Hitchens said:

jal90 said:
So? What relation does it have with the quoted phrase?

Don't remember don't care.
JonyJC said:
Hitchens said:

jal90 said:
Lol at your sociological studies based on MAL users.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/30/atheists-unveil-monument-by-ten-commandments/
Jul 20, 2013 11:03 AM

Jan 2011
Rebas said:

Supreme moral authority isn't enough for you?
I ask again, do you believe in human rights?

jal90 said:

Christianism doesn't allow murder, but witch hunt existed. At the same time, other people condemn these events based on the same precepts. How can morality come from religion when it elicits such blatantly different responses from its followers?

And no, human rights can't be proven. Your point is that I have my dogmas despite being an atheist? Yes, I have them. So?

Geez let me catch my breath here, witch hunts had little do with religion really, they were a way to see who's in the group and who's not.
LJohnJul 20, 2013 11:09 AM
Jul 20, 2013 11:20 AM

Dec 2010
JonyJC said:
Rebas said:

Supreme moral authority isn't enough for you?
I ask again, do you believe in human rights?

Your beliefs cannot act as proofs of your claims that only religion can make people behave morally or that lack of it would have the consequences you say it would.

And, I am not answering your side questions because they have nothing to do with the issue at hand. My beliefs and your beliefs cannot be used as proof of anything. That's why they're called beliefs. Even if I did answer, it cannot back your claim that religion can make people behave morally or that lack of it would have the consequences you say it would. I can believe in a new planet between Earth and Mars and claim that as evidence in support of my own pet theory of the universe but I haven't proven anything.
Jul 20, 2013 11:25 AM

Oct 2010
JonyJC said:
In a natural state killing a fellow man for a piece of meat is irrelevant, it only comes to be a worry when you're trying to maintain a certain level of organization or civilization, you can argue that the need for God came before God himself yes, the question if God existed before that or not is a theological one which I don't care about.

You should if you want to keep this debate.

JonyJC said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/30/atheists-unveil-monument-by-ten-commandments/

So? You are also assuming that being vegetarian makes you follow the moral system that is often associated with it? As far as I know, atheism means lack of belief. It doesn't have a moral or political relation and it doesn't define my lifestyle regardless of the fact I don't follow the sacraments.

And the link you provided doesn't even show an action of atheism against religion. If you read the reasons, they are actually aiming it at the government and what they feel is a character of officiality given on a certain religion. Which goes against the laws of that country.

As it says:

‘‘Some people think it’s an attack simply by us exerting our existence. They put a monument on a public lawn that, if you put it in context, says atheists should be killed,’’ Silverman said. ‘‘It is an attack, but it’s an attack on Christian privilege, not an attack on Christians themselves, and not so much an attack on Christianity.’’

There are actually lots of other examples out there that would fit your idea better, around the internet and in real life, of people who ridicule religious guys as stupid and thoughtless because they believe in stuff. If you think that I am one of those people or that I will ever share that mindset, then our debate is over. Watching paint dry would be more useful.

JonyJC said:
jal90 said:

Geez let me catch my breath here, witch hunts had little do with religion really, they were a way to see who's in the group and who's not.

They had a lot to do with religion because they were justified and put in the context of religion. Christianism implies a belief in the existence of devil and the need to fight against it.
jal90Jul 20, 2013 11:29 AM
Jul 20, 2013 11:27 AM

Jan 2011
Rebas said:

Your beliefs cannot act as proofs of your claims that only religion can make people behave morally or that lack of it would have the consequences you say it would.

And, I am not answering your side questions because they have nothing to do with the issue at hand. My beliefs and your beliefs cannot be used as proof of anything. That's why they're called beliefs. Even if I did answer, it cannot back your claim that religion can make people behave morally or that lack of it would have the consequences you say it would. I can believe in a new planet between Earth and Mars and claim that as evidence in support of my own pet theory of the universe but I haven't proven anything.

Well whatever it would be more fun if you did, a belief is something you hold to be true or false ultimately you cannot make yourself believe something, your brain reaches the conclusions it believes to be necessary.
This discussion was interesting.
Jul 20, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 2011
jal90 said:

They had a lot to do with religion because they were justified and put in the context of religion. Christianism implies a belief in the existence of devil and the need to fight against it.

I've said this before on these forums and others probably did the same but religion is often an excuse for an already existing problem. The discussion for the reasons behind the witch hunts are beyond this topic.

jal90 said:
JonyJC said:

You should if you want to keep this debate.

I've already reached my conclusions, I'm not a theist it was never my intent to defend the existence of God.
Rebas said:

This is what made it click in my head.
Jul 20, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
As far as I know, atheism means lack of belief.
*tangential remarks incoming*

My problem with atheism (if we assume that is a fair definition of atheism; I don't know), is that in order to lack a belief in something, you must believe that a coherent conceptualization of that something exists. To say that you lack a belief in God is to engage in a discussion over the existence of God and thereby reaffirm that such a discussion is reasonable. This makes me wonder if many atheists are not actually ignostic.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 20, 2013 12:15 PM

Jan 2011
People seem to mix belief and faith, you can believe via faith or reason but one can never unbelieve if that makes any sense.
Jul 20, 2013 12:35 PM

Oct 2010
Oh sorry. Lack of belief in a religious system/motif. But I thought that last part of the definition was easy to assume given the context. As I said, I do believe in things. For instance, I follow a moral system and consider some things to be good and others to be bad.

I know it's a very plain definition but I think this is what atheism is supposed to be: "theism" as in "belief in a god or gods" and "a" as "without"; it isn't tied to my morals and doesn't define me, regardless of the fact I am not religious. Implying the existence a certain set of rules, an attitude or even an active positioning derived from this is absurd.
Jul 20, 2013 12:54 PM

Jan 2011
You either believe something to be true or false you cannot lack belief, reason is belief with evidence faith is belief without evidence, you cannot unbelieve either something is or isn't and how you reach that conclusion doesn't matter you cannot believe something if your mind doesn't accept it.
Jul 20, 2013 12:56 PM

Oct 2009
katsucats said:
There is an institution of religion that most atheists believe -- it's called morality. It's an inconsistent dogma and atheists and theists alike run the church -- a loosely defined shadowy grassroots organization based on the terrorist cell that self-identify as "society". Even without a God, the mythology still runs rampant. It's much harder to point the finger at ourselves than at other people.

/thread
Jul 20, 2013 1:06 PM

Mar 2012
jal90 said:
Oh sorry. Lack of belief in a religious system/motif. But I thought that last part of the definition was easy to assume given the context. As I said, I do believe in things. For instance, I follow a moral system and consider some things to be good and others to be bad.

I know it's a very plain definition but I think this is what atheism is supposed to be: "theism" as in "belief in a god or gods" and "a" as "without"; it isn't tied to my morals and doesn't define me, regardless of the fact I am not religious. Implying the existence a certain set of rules, an attitude or even an active positioning derived from this is absurd.
Hmmm. Is there a difference between a "religious motif" and God? And, maybe I am misinterpreting what you're saying, but how is atheism not an active position? Even if atheism only implies atheism (I think we agree that it does), "not believing in ______" is still a meaningful statement.

JonyJC said:
You either believe something to be true or false you cannot lack belief, reason is belief with evidence faith is belief without evidence, you cannot unbelieve either something is or isn't and how you reach that conclusion doesn't matter you cannot believe something if your mind doesn't accept it.
Nope. You can believe that the subject of debate is ill-conceived and thus attempting to brand it true or false is meaningless.
JoshJul 20, 2013 1:10 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 20, 2013 1:13 PM

Oct 2010
JonyJC said:

Oh, yes, I believe that the existence of a God is false. You can word it this way, it doesn't change anything of what I'm saying.

Atheism is not an active positioning in the sense that it doesn't drive my morals and my acts. They are not tied to me believing in God or not. That is, if I think that murder is immoral it's not because I'm an atheist.

On the other hand, I don't think that "not believing in X" implies the same degree of involvement in the term (X) than "believing in X".
jal90Jul 20, 2013 1:19 PM
Jul 20, 2013 2:09 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
The problem with some religions is the things you can justify with them.

JonyJC said:

That's a false dichotomy. Also, there's nothing illogical about disbelieving or lacking believe (lol@unbelieving) in a claim (or claims).

Araby said:
jal90 said:
As far as I know, atheism means lack of belief.

*tangential remarks incoming*

My problem with atheism (if we assume that is a fair definition of atheism; I don't know), is that in order to lack a belief in something, you must believe that a coherent conceptualization of that something exists. To say that you lack a belief in God is to engage in a discussion over the existence of God and thereby reaffirm that such a discussion is reasonable. This makes me wonder if many atheists are not actually ignostic.

Some religions propose the existence of a concept of a god, atheiss lack believe in that concept. It's not so hard.
Jul 20, 2013 2:28 PM

Jan 2011
JonyJC said:

That's a false dichotomy. Also, there's nothing illogical about disbelieving or lacking believe (lol@unbelieving) in a claim (or claims).

Is it really? I never studied philosophy or logic in any depth really, to me it seems like I said you either believe there to be yes or no.

But I'll try again:
A belief is the holding of a statement to be true or false
A statement is true if that's how it actually is.
Reason is belief with proof
Faith is belief without
Whether you believe via faith or reason does not change the fact that you believe
Jul 20, 2013 7:26 PM

Jan 2013
Religion is 100% bs, the end.
Jul 21, 2013 12:39 AM

Jan 2013
Oh boy! A late night religious topic!

Let's see here... From a personal perspective, I tend to detest both dogmatic atheists and theists. Let's be real here. They're both extremely closed-minded and not very fun to converse with, however, I'm bored ;).

All right from what I've seen in this thread, you're all discussing whether or not religion has developed and led to morality. Although it is true that religion MAY encourage positive behavior in societies it CANNOT be the SOLE source of morality. Henceforth, morality may exist without religion. Think about it this way; people always argue nature vs nurture, however, it's been proven on numerous occasions that both sides may influence an individual. Yet, both sides will always argue that their side is the 'sole' reason or 'primary' reason. (This has been proven to depend on the individual, and I can go into more detail if you're interested)

One piece of evidence for my claim is myself. I have always questioned the belief of a higher power. I don't go around killing my neighbors or stealing. I don't need religion to have a moral compass. However, I will agree that religion may encourage positive behavior. (I have a sense of morality because of society--not religion. Society expects one to act a certain way or they'll be punished. I.E laws) Some of the nicest people I know are religious, and I respect that.

I used to be be one of them 'dogmatic atheists', but I realized over time that it was a foolish and terrible decision. Why? Because it made me come across as arrogant, egotistical, and narcissistic. People need to realize that throwing their opinions down another person's throat isn't going to lead an individual further down the road of compromise. In reality, it'll cause an antithesis reaction.

tl;dr stop being so closed-minded and rude. Some people have been raised in religious environments, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. They are obviously going to defend their religious views and preach them. Other people simply reject theologies because of their personal experiences. That's perfectly fine too, however, it's not necessary for you to denounce the belief of others.
AseceytJul 21, 2013 12:43 AM

Remember:
- Being the "smartest" is nothing special.
- Being wise; however, is always better than being smart because at the end of the day, it depends on how one applies their knowledge, not how much one actually knows.

Jul 21, 2013 12:50 AM

Oct 2012
People need to stop being dogmatic atheists or theists, and start being dogmatic logicists. Morality doesn't exist, whether with God or without.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 21, 2013 1:44 PM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
People need to stop being dogmatic atheists or theists, and start being dogmatic logicists. Morality doesn't exist, whether with God or without.
Can you explain?

Because "morality" is defined as: The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct.

Surely you, on a daily basis, take actions that you see as the "right" decision. Like brushing your teeth instead of not brushing your teeth. Or eating a meal instead of not eating one.

And even if you disregard social standards for what is considered "right" or "wrong" (like incest or pedophilia), surely you have some sort of moral standing on how to interact with people. Like generally, you wouldn't just go up to somebody and hit them in the nose and piss on their shoes for no reason. That would be a "bad" thing to do.

Or, if you did happen to do that, in your eyes, it would be a "good" thing to do.

I think what you meant is "collective and true morality doesn't exist", which I would agree with. Different cultures have different values. It's the same reason "mental illnesses" are so controversial and loosely defined. In western society, hallucinations and spasms are considered abnormal, pitiable, and unwanted, probably diagnosed as schizophrenia, and the patient is prescribed heavy medication. In Native American culture, "visions" can be considered admirable, "godlike", and highly praised, resulting in higher social status and respect.

A definite "right" or "wrong" doesn't really exist. But on an individual level, morality is pretty much a necessity.
Jul 21, 2013 5:18 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
katsucats said:
Can you explain?

Because "morality" is defined as: The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct.

Surely you, on a daily basis, take actions that you see as the "right" decision. Like brushing your teeth instead of not brushing your teeth. Or eating a meal instead of not eating one.

A definite "right" or "wrong" doesn't really exist. But on an individual level, morality is pretty much a necessity.
Why do you need moral standards of "right" or "good" conduct in order to do something? Why can't you brush your teeth because it's "healthy", not because it's "good"?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 21, 2013 5:22 PM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
Red_Keys said:
katsucats said:
Can you explain?

Why do you need moral standards of "right" or "good" conduct in order to do something? Why can't you brush your teeth because it's "healthy", not because it's "good"?
Because being healthy is "good".
Jul 21, 2013 8:02 PM

Aug 2008
Xirecta said:
tl;dr stop being so closed-minded and rude. Some people have been raised in religious environments, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. They are obviously going to defend their religious views and preach them. Other people simply reject theologies because of their personal experiences. That's perfectly fine too, however, it's not necessary for you to denounce the belief of others.

Some might feel different when the religious decide to legislate their morality onto people who don't follow their own code. I'd be fine with whatever silly beliefs someone has but when they say that I better believe what they believe "or else" I have one big problem.
Jul 21, 2013 11:27 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
katsucats said:
Red_Keys said:
katsucats said:
Can you explain?

Because being healthy is "good".
Healthy is desirable, not "good".
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 22, 2013 2:41 AM

Oct 2011
JonyJC said:
Lack of religion eventually leads to the same problems morality is incompatible with atheism because anyone can have their own set of values people with similar values will group together and you'll have opposing groups again.

Exactly what I was thinking. We need religion in this world for morals because otherwise the crime rate probably would be much worse.
Jul 22, 2013 2:46 AM

Jul 2013
xTenshiAi said:
Exactly what I was thinking. We need religion in this world for morals because otherwise the crime rate probably would be much worse.
Unless you're in the Middle East where religion encourages rape. Oh wait, rape isn't a crime there. Yeah, you're right.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 22, 2013 2:47 AM

Sep 2012
katsucats said:
Good - To be desired or approved of.
Jul 22, 2013 7:57 AM
Jul 2013
Religion is NOT the only thing that will bring anyone to kill, But only extreme religious people would that far.
Jul 22, 2013 12:18 PM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
katsucats said:
Good - To be desired or approved of.
Not morally good, unless you mean to say that if I desire rape then it's "good" (but even then it's just a psychological trick to externalize feelings so you won't take responsibility for them).
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 25, 2013 8:25 PM

Apr 2013
Loculus said:
But no opinion is right or wrong. It is always subjective.

Bro, stop with the bias.

Loculus said:
But also in Muuuurica it's wrong, when they start talking about the "God they trust". There is no such thing as god,
Jul 27, 2013 11:16 PM

Nov 2011
JonyJC said:
what's the main difference between Ancient Rome, and the Northern Barbarians?

Rome won their wars, destroyed all trace of the "barbarians" cultural, technological, military, etc progress and then proceeded to call them barbarians.
The Art of Eight
Jul 28, 2013 5:26 AM

Apr 2013
dankickyou said:
JonyJC said:
Rome won their wars, destroyed all trace of the "barbarians" cultural, technological, military, etc progress and then proceeded to call them barbarians.
I wouldn't say they destroyed their culture so much as the "barbarians" adopted the more "sophisticated" Roman culture - see the Franks.
Jul 28, 2013 1:53 PM

Jan 2011
dankickyou said:
JonyJC said:

The point of the question was for people to figure out the difference between civilized and uncivilized societies and how it correlates to religion. Rome was stopped at Teutoburg Forest and never went deeper into Germania. I call that a stalemate not a victory.
Jul 31, 2013 12:23 PM

Mar 2013
You cant say Religion is completely bad.Sure it had its bad sides like the Crusades and witch hunting,but it also had some good sides,like charity and sense of community for people of the same religion.The pros- and cons are just too many.
So Far,so Good...So What!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.