Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2009 10:23 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Why don't they just have sex and get over it?

Seriously, now, this episode is one of the worst Yu-Gi-Oh episodes so far. I'm a sucker for romantic development, but this was so full of cheesy over-the-top flashbacks, annoying monologues and Aki's whining. Ok, she was right to hate her father, he's a bit of a moron, and she was right to join with Divine, and she is right to be angry and sad he's gone. But does she have to make show out every other scene she's in? She's either comatose and constantly surprised - like in fight with Misty and between duels with Divine, or she's going berserk on anyone in close proximity. Mood swings much? Poor Aki... she's written so bad, and her episodes are always animated worst.

And this episode is another reason I prefer Carly/Jack over Yusei/Aki. Carly and Jack have the kind of relationship where they don't say everything (like that scene on top of the tower that was awesome). Yusei and Aki are constantly trying to say something, Yusei wants to help (change) Aki, Aki wants to whine, Yusei wants to show her she's... nice person, I guess, even though she so obviously shouldn't be from his point of view, Aki wants to whine so more. I mean, shut up already and move to making out. And, Aki, stop blowing up shit!

LOL, this episode really brought out the worst in me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2009 11:05 AM

Nov 2007
It really is a pain in the butt to see a character you initially took great interest in being handled so incredibly bad. What exactly is wrong with the script writers? Why are all episodes in which Aki appears handled by some low-quality animation division?

It almost feels like they do that on purpose. To me, it feels like Aki's character is being levelled more with each passing episode. As of this episode, she pretty much feels like Gundam SEED DESTINY's god aweful Shinn Asuka >_>
Both blame others for their problems and are emotionally unstable, having emotional breakdowns all the time, it's not nice to view.

40 really was one of the worst, if not THE worst 5D's episode so far. Bad animation (little Aki's face was made almost entirely of her chin o_O), bad script and even worse development (see 41). Seems like they don't want to make her TOO important or anything, afterall, Yusei and Jack are the main characters of the series. Yet, Jack and Carly's relationship has been constantly grown despite little dialogue between them, something simply isn't right here.

Yusei is the MAIN main character, shouldn't HE get the girl?

Jan 16, 2009 1:50 PM

Feb 2008
Saber said:
As of this episode, she pretty much feels like Gundam SEED DESTINY's god aweful Shinn Asuka

You know, that's who I thought of first. Resemblance is striking!

Saber said:
bad script and even worse development (see 41)

Next one will be even worse? Shit...

Saber said:

Well there's enough girls to go around. Honestly, all this Aki emo stuff has made me forgot how much I love Yusei. She's dragging him down with her. And why would he like her at all? She's trying to kill his all the time, and she's complete emotional wreck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2009 6:44 PM

Feb 2008
Saber said:
It really is a pain in the butt to see a character you initially took great interest in being handled so incredibly bad. What exactly is wrong with the script writers? Why are all episodes in which Aki appears handled by some low-quality animation division?

It almost feels like they do that on purpose. To me, it feels like Aki's character is being levelled more with each passing episode. As of this episode, she pretty much feels like Gundam SEED DESTINY's god aweful Shinn Asuka >_>
Both blame others for their problems and are emotionally unstable, having emotional breakdowns all the time, it's not nice to view.

40 really was one of the worst, if not THE worst 5D's episode so far. Bad animation (little Aki's face was made almost entirely of her chin o_O), bad script and even worse development (see 41). Seems like they don't want to make her TOO important or anything, afterall, Yusei and Jack are the main characters of the series. Yet, Jack and Carly's relationship has been constantly grown despite little dialogue between them, something simply isn't right here.

I actually liked Shinn, mostly because of his awesome Gundam though.

and the only good part in the whole episode was Martha teasing Yusei.

Jan 19, 2009 10:34 PM

Sep 2008
well since i dont dislike romantic things i think it was ok...i belived it was necesary to show the past of aki so as the other signers....a bit early maibye
love is something really new in yugioh...im kinda wondering why do they put it..(as long as it doesnt turn nto something like .-.aki captured.-.yusei risk her life for love.-. bla bla.----not that i hate it but yugi isnt about that)
we had before yugi/tea
joey/mai
jaden/alexis bt they didnt focused nomore than 5 chapters in all the series so no big deal but this aki/yusei and karly/jack is calling for something big-_-

the earthbound gods still remind me of ra....and the real cards are very lame..
hope they dont focus too much in love and get into action soon
^_^
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Feb 9, 2009 3:22 PM

Sep 2008
I agree, this was one of the worst episodes in the anime. Aki turned out to be an annoying b.... :P

Jan 17, 2011 12:45 PM
Nov 2008
Poor Aki was traumatized...give her a break rofl...women have to throw their tantrum at men or they don't feel good and guess Yusei was the ''lucky'' guy ROFL.
Mar 20, 2011 12:49 AM

Jan 2011
mel-hime said:
Poor Aki was traumatized...give her a break rofl...women have to throw their tantrum at men or they don't feel good and guess Yusei was the ''lucky'' guy ROFL.

Haha, 'couple formed under unusual circumstance' you mean?
Very good character development here. I will give it 3.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Nov 18, 2013 12:57 AM

Sep 2013
That coversation between Blister and Yusei was hilarious :3

Akiza is way to emotional :/
Apr 14, 2015 8:48 AM

Nov 2010
She sure has some deep emotional scars.
May 16, 2015 10:58 PM

Apr 2013
Aki's father is the senator?! I feel bad for Aki's father. He didn't do anything bad, but either did Aki. I kind of wish Aki would've broken away from Divine of hew free will, and not because she didn't have a choice cause he's gone.

Also, Martha is awesome. Yusei didn't know how to react to her saying he likes Aki XD

This duel has the potential to be really epic.
funlandMay 16, 2015 11:04 PM
Sep 8, 2016 5:14 AM

Jul 2008
funland said:
Aki's father is the senator?! I feel bad for Aki's father. He didn't do anything bad, but either did Aki. I kind of wish Aki would've broken away from Divine of hew free will, and not because she didn't have a choice cause he's gone.

Also, Martha is awesome. Yusei didn't know how to react to her saying he likes Aki XD

This duel has the potential to be really epic.

Ha ha ha....Martha....*insert Batman joke here*
Nov 3, 2019 6:58 AM

Nov 2016
Martha is pretty awesome :D

And I'm kinda conflicted when it comes to Aki. On one hand I symphatize with her, but on the other hand I can't lamenting and her edginess. Take care of it Yusei.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 27, 2021 10:34 AM

Aug 2019
mel-hime said:

How sexist of you to imply that her "throwing a tantrum" has to do with her being female. She literally experienced tons of trauma in her childhood because of her psychic powers, and she just woke up from a coma and remembered that the only person whom she saw as a friend is "dead". She has every right to be upset even if she's irrational about who to blame.

I literally laughed when I saw that the hospital room where Aki was staying was as huge as a tennis court with only one bed in the middle. Talk about wasting space. Also the fact that Aki's dad was away from the home was basically the catalyst for Aki growing cold, so I do blame him for some of her troubles. Also I'm not sure which Structure Deck Aki received from her dad (looked like Ruler of the Gale maybe) but damn the animators made it look really tiny. Their sense of scale was way off there.
Sep 20, 2022 11:59 AM

Jan 2010
So far, 5Ds is dealing a lot with trauma, neglect, government conspiracies, and cult mentality and indoctrination. I remember hearing before that 5Ds had more complex themes than YGO usually dealt with, along with a cast that was older than the usual YGO protagonist. By now, I see how all those come into play, where the anime can get more violet and serious than usual, even in the dub.
Oct 13, 2022 3:15 PM

Jan 2020
Akiza immediately woke up when Yusei showed up. Do we need a more heavy-handed push for that ship?

I can appreciate Akiza's loneliness and feelings of rejection. But, at the same time, it seems like she just walls herself off and doesn't try to communicate. So, I feel like that's partially her fault. She doesn't seem to want to overcome her trauma, but rather use it as an excuse, or fuel. Which, again, I can appreciate. But, also again, she just seems a bit annoying about it all at times. If it wasn't for the fact that she uses plants I would probably find her more annoying.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 140 Discussion

Ozelot - Dec 26, 2010

13 by KrabbeKage21 »»
Mar 28, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 154 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kanade-chan - Mar 30, 2011

81 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 4, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 151 Discussion

Hoppy - Mar 9, 2011

33 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 3, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 150 Discussion

Hoppy - Mar 2, 2011

30 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 3, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 149 Discussion

Hoppy - Feb 23, 2011

19 by JustMonaka »»
Mar 3, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.