Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that start strong but end up being bad?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 9, 2013 6:00 AM

Dec 2012
SaberRitsu said:
]A fantasy setting does not mean the author can throw in whatever shit they pull out of their ass and call it a plot twist

What did the author pull out of his ass in Mirai Nikki?
A show should only be as dark as it needs to be. Shoving objectionable content in your face for shock value can not be justified by any genre. It's bad writing plain and simple.

Madoka? examples of this in Mirai Nikki ?
And that's where Yuno comes in. She's a generic yandere through and through with no defining traits. Sure she's occasionally entertaining because to watch because her actions are unpredictable, but once you take away her unpredictable nature there's nothing left. Plus her backstory doesn't seem to do her any favours And that's what makes her a bad character

She has other traits that are not exclusive to her ''yandereness''. To put it in a simple way; she is smart, calculating, strong, brave and conscious of her surrounding. Which helped her greatly in the survival games. You say she is a ''generic yandere'' but that implies that there are other characters which are done in the same formula over and over again making it ''generic''= overused, common, using an already established template without adding anything new to it. Which doesn't apply to Yuno, unless you can give examples of other characters that are identical or extremely similar to Yuno or prove that she doesn't have anything new in her as a character.

Why didn't her back story do her any favors? it properly explained everything about her. Her motives, her obsessions, her insanity etc. The ''yan'' part was not always there, she was just a normal sweet little girl who just wanted a happy normal family. Her brutal personality is a result of circumstances surrounding her life, mostly the abuse she endured by her mother and the absence of her father.

She became lonely and sad with nothing to live for after some events took place, she found Yuki which became her only ''hope'' in life, something to live for and the only thing to look forward to was his promise, he didn't mean it seriously but she took it seriously thus her obsession with Yuki began which later that obsession manifested into pure insanity.
tsudecimoJul 9, 2013 6:38 AM
Jul 9, 2013 6:59 AM

Mar 2012
Clannad:
Good first season but started to get slow and boring in the second season. Got good again when
; but the ending was really bad.
Jul 9, 2013 7:02 AM

Jul 2013
Hands up if you remember the pre-filler and pre-Shippuden Naruto.
scytheavatar said:
Trying to cater to the Fujoshis have always been a dumb thing to do anyway, only fools would pretend to understand how they work. If anything Attack on Titan appeals to them a lot more than F**** will, looking at all the Attack on Titan Yaoi that's popping up.
Jul 9, 2013 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Bleach
Darker than Black
I will await you across the sea.

Jul 9, 2013 7:32 AM

Nov 2008
Shakugan no Shana - The first season was great, the second's first half was boring and Final was disappointing.
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - I found the first half amazing, but the second dragged on for too long.
Angel Beats! - Due to it not consisting of 26 episodes.
Hayate no Gotoku! - Because of the movie and the two latest seasons.
Higashi no Eden - It had a great premise, interesting characters and a strong first season which the films kind of ruin.
Jul 9, 2013 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
Death Note
Sword Art Online
Zetsuen no Tempest
To me, they got worse simply because they lost their strenghts.
SAO lost its survival element that was the best thing about it while Zetsuen no Tempest changed too drastically.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jul 9, 2013 10:18 AM

Nov 2009
Death Note is definitely my most recent example that I have watched. First 2/3 is amazing but it falls off really badly at the end.
Jul 9, 2013 2:16 PM

Aug 2011
SAO. The first episode did a good job of pulling me in and wanting to see how all the awesome looking characters from the OP would be able to work together and beat the game.

But then everything starts rolling in and time skips happen all over the place, Kirito is attracting every player with a vagina, all the characters they made look important are simply canon fodder to make Kirito seem like a badass with his, "I'm levels higher than everyone here lolol" and then all of a sudden SAO is beaten halfway through the show.

It was a huge train wreck.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 1 hour ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

84 by BilboBaggins365 »»
25 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

59 by Bruh69XD »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
32 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.