Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2013 6:49 PM
Dec 2012
I have to know! I'm not that much into anime that is solely about romance. Like I like action with romance thrown into it. It seems to be really popular. Do you think i would like this anime?
Jul 5, 2013 6:51 PM

Sep 2011
Bardilo said:
I have to know! I'm not that much into anime that is solely about romance. Like I like action with romance thrown into it. It seems to be really popular. Do you think i would like this anime?

You basically answered your own question.

Its definitely an amazing watch, hence the rating, but you might not enjoy it due to what you just said.
Jul 5, 2013 6:53 PM

Apr 2011
I personally didn't like the first season. It's a borderline harem with moe' characters and just way to over dramatized. I tend to not like stuff from the guys at KEY(this is a KEY adaptation, they make Visual Novels). The drama is just always so over done, it makes me facepalm. I haven't watched after story yet, but apparently it's 10000x better.... I forced myself through the first season just because it's in the top 10 MAL anime so I felt it was worth more effort then just some random anime.

You might like it. Plenty of people do.
Jul 5, 2013 6:53 PM

Jan 2010
If you're not into romance, you can try Clannad out, but don't expect to be blown away. It's not that kind of anime, there's no action, and you might go into it with some negative preconception or something like that.
Jul 5, 2013 6:54 PM

Apr 2012
It's a great anime.

If you don't like romance anime, Clannad might change that.
Jul 5, 2013 7:03 PM

Dec 2012
Well Clannad isn't that romance heavy but there is definitely no action whatsoever. It's an emotional anime and I thought it was really good but I can understand not everybody liking it.
Jul 5, 2013 7:06 PM

Jan 2013
Does Clannad have a lot of death and or killing?
Jul 5, 2013 7:06 PM

Jun 2012
It's a bit overrated, and AS is way better.
Jul 5, 2013 7:16 PM

May 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I personally didn't like the first season. It's a borderline harem with moe' characters and just way to over dramatized. I tend to not like stuff from the guys at KEY(this is a KEY adaptation, they make Visual Novels). The drama is just always so over done, it makes me facepalm. I haven't watched after story yet, but apparently it's 10000x better.... I forced myself through the first season just because it's in the top 10 MAL anime so I felt it was worth more effort then just some random anime.

After story is far superior to the first season. I actually watched after story first not realizing it was the second season.
dtshyk said:
Urobuchi said this anime(Psycho Pass) has cruel scenes both physically and mentally.

ZettaiRyouiki:
In other news, the sun rises from the East.
Jul 5, 2013 7:20 PM

Mar 2012
No, not really. It's okay but Kanon is better.
Jul 5, 2013 7:22 PM

Sep 2011
Marifrit said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

After story is far superior to the first season. I actually watched after story first not realizing it was the second season.

How dare you do such a thing.
Jul 5, 2013 7:24 PM

Jan 2009
In-coming Clannad circlejerk.

That being said, only you can decide. I personally hate Clannad, and I think After Story is one of the worst second seasons ever. That being said, it's also got one of the most powerful anime scene's out there that really hit a personal level with me...

Jul 5, 2013 7:30 PM

Nov 2012
Clannad was BORING! Don't expect a lot out of it.
Clannad AS made it worth it though.
Jul 5, 2013 7:32 PM

Mar 2013
Its overrated IMO, but its by no means mediocre.
I like fried tofu
Jul 5, 2013 7:38 PM

Apr 2013
Clannad is a snoozefest
AS is a masterpiece.
Jul 5, 2013 7:56 PM

Jan 2013
If you can get engaged in the drama you'll probably love it otherwise you'll think it's an overrated shitfest.

I think it's worth trying out, worst case scenario you can eliminate a bunch of Key anime from your future PTW list and save yourself the trouble whilst best case scenario you can fall in love with Key and have yourself a shitload of anime you'll more than likely enjoy very much.

It's a win-win situation.
BrotwoJul 5, 2013 7:59 PM
Jul 5, 2013 8:12 PM

Feb 2013
If you go into the Clannad series expecting action then you might not like it. However if you watch it expecting romance you'll enjoy it, especially After Story as many people have already mentioned. It does have some supernatural aspects that come into play throughout the series though.

Quick Edit: Looking at your list, I'm not sure if you'd like it in all honesty. However, if your looking at expanding your anime tastes into the romance genre then I'd advise watching a few other romance anime first to get a good feel of the genre. From what I've seen some people who tried out Clannad first to get a feel for the romance genre got bored at the first season then spoiled a potentially good series for themselves.
KrissirkJul 5, 2013 8:18 PM
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jul 5, 2013 8:15 PM

May 2011
After my 4th rewatch of Afterstory yes, but don't expect too much from the first season. But if you just flat out hate the characters after the first season, don't bother with AS afterwards.
Jul 5, 2013 8:36 PM

Apr 2013
I played the visual novel and liked the school part better than the AS.
Jul 5, 2013 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
if you like over the top melodrama, then sure give it a try
Jul 5, 2013 8:53 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah but, personally I didn't like the first season that much. AS is waaaayyyy better.
Jul 5, 2013 8:55 PM

May 2012
Yes it's that good. And I liked Clannad more than After Story, but they're both great.
Jul 5, 2013 8:56 PM

Nov 2012
I really hate those ball thing with the faces and the try to be cute crap.
Someone told me they were food, if i was a clanned i would make them into poop.
That is all.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 5, 2013 8:59 PM

May 2012
This thread is basically a huge Clannad circlejerk. Imho the first season of Clannad was lacking, it was more of a harem than a romance but it was still decent. It is Clannad: The After Story that is really good, and is what most people mean when they say "Clannad is amazing." So if you want to sit through a good 25 episodes before you are blown away then by all means go for it.
Jul 5, 2013 9:02 PM

May 2012
IMO Clannad is pretty overrated. I always thought the romance aspect of it was the weakest part of it, while the slice of life aspect was much, much better. But the ending was the biggest copout of all time IMO and really ruined the show for me. Clannad 5/10, After Story 7/10.
Jul 5, 2013 9:08 PM

Feb 2012
First, I will admit I haven't seen it yet. Might not ever be able to bring myself to watch it. From what I know about it, it would most likely be a meh anime or a dropped anime for me.

Here's why. I'm impatient. I refuse to wait for a story to get good/entertaining. Also, while I don't HATE romance, I don't live for it either. I've seen some good romances in the past, enjoyed them and all but yeah. MOE is not my favorite either. I admit, I've had some anime that have surprised me. If you think the moon and stars are hung on Ano Hana, give it a shot cause it's somewhat like that with less boys and some romance. Please note, I liked Ano Hana.

I'll probably give it a shot someday but my track record with the super popular anime is NOT good. I didn't even like Baccano! all that much. (completely because of those two stupid thieves) I guess I just like diamonds in the rough. :)
Jul 5, 2013 9:14 PM

Apr 2011
sisgood said:
First, I will admit I haven't seen it yet. Might not ever be able to bring myself to watch it. From what I know about it, it would most likely be a meh anime or a dropped anime for me.

Here's why. I'm impatient. I refuse to wait for a story to get good/entertaining. Also, while I don't HATE romance, I don't live for it either. I've seen some good romances in the past, enjoyed them and all but yeah. MOE is not my favorite either. I admit, I've had some anime that have surprised me. If you think the moon and stars are hung on Ano Hana, give it a shot cause it's somewhat like that with less boys and some romance. Please note, I liked Ano Hana.

I'll probably give it a shot someday but my track record with the super popular anime is NOT good. I didn't even like Baccano! all that much. (completely because of those two stupid thieves) I guess I just like diamonds in the rough. :)

?!?! How could you not like them !?!?!

I'll forgive you cause you like Natsume :P
Jul 5, 2013 9:18 PM

Apr 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
sisgood said:

how can someone hate Baccano is beyond me.. + Isaac and Miria.. wow.
Jul 5, 2013 9:26 PM

Jun 2012
Brotwo said:
If you can get engaged in the drama you'll probably love it otherwise you'll think it's an overrated shitfest.
That's basically it. You need to get into that drama, otherwise you will have that "overdone" feeling. Personnally, I would say go for it. To me the two seasons were great. If you like Clannad, then there is a bunch of other Key adaptation you will surely like (And VN if you are into those). If not, then I guess you can just pass on those Key anime.
Jul 5, 2013 9:26 PM

Feb 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
sisgood said:

Because they are just so STUPID my brain spent most of the time when they were on screen going WTF instead of enjoying the "joke". I like slap-stick, I love dry humor, Monty Python will forever be worshiped in my head. Having stupid shoved at in my face is NOT a good way to get me to laugh. Maybe it's that I'm older than just about every one of you. Dunno...

Different strokes for different folks.
Jul 5, 2013 9:48 PM

Oct 2012
No. First season was a typical harem, except with a complete asshole MC (which some might find humorous). Second season is emotional masturbation of the lowest order, like getting an emotional handjob from a cheap hooker. But watch it anyways. It will define your path as an anime fan. If you like Clannad, then you could probably just go into my list and look up all the 2-5's -- those are probably your masterpieces.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 6, 2013 5:53 AM

Sep 2011
You should define "that good" to get a truthful answer and not only opinions from either fans saying "it's great" or haters saying "it sucks".

If you are looking for action anime with romance in it seriously go elsewhere. Is it so hard to see that Clannad is not anywhere near the action genre?

Anyway if you still would like to try it for romance or whatever reason here are some hints.

Clannad is NOT for you when:
- you expect romance anime to be burning with passion, lust, jealousy, having sex etc.
- you hate such character design
- you are bored with anime that centers about everyday activities

Clannad might NOT be for you when:
- you focus only on big things and don't appreciate small achievements
- you are impatient
- you don't accept any kind of supernatural elements
- you don't care about family aspects
- you only watch anime dubbed

You will probably like Clannad when:
- you expect romance anime to be filled with hope, love, acceptance etc.
- you like or at least don't hate the character design and overall art style
- you like anime that centers around everyday life activities and struggles
- you like anime with family theme, helping friends
- you generally like drama
- you enjoy or at least aren't bored by slower paced anime
- you like or accept one or two supernatural elements in slice of life anime
Jul 6, 2013 6:03 AM

Jun 2008
I have no idea why clannad is rated this high but imo it is just plain boring and average ;/ Clannad after story is much better

Anyway, if you're the type that are into action and good story, dun expect it here. I literally have to force myself to watch through all the episodes in Clannad since most of the time the comedy doesn't appeal to me. The romance isn't all so great either. To me, it seems like your average romance anime but worst. Though, you might like the second season better than the first.
EstherellaJul 6, 2013 6:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2013 3:01 PM
Mar 2013
"Vexatious. Moe. Unrealistic. Clannad is one of the most overrated anime of all time."
Honestly, Clannad is really average. I would give it a 6 mostly for the reason that it's comedy is generally funny. Everything else is... well... refer to quote.
Jul 9, 2013 3:35 PM

Apr 2013
Fuuko is retarded. But it still has its moments.

Jul 9, 2013 3:45 PM
Nov 2012
if you don't mind comedy and romance animes then you should like it but it doesn't appear so
Aug 19, 2013 10:07 PM

Jul 2013
Clannad was amazing, but it would've been a thousand times better if it wasn't a romance. Just a slice of life. AS, though, was different. I actually liked. Strange considering I almost feel nauseous watching most romances.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.