Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jul 8, 2013 1:18 AM

jal90 said:
"Straightforward" as in not leaving room for ambiguity when it throws information. Every time there's a mystery there is the certainty that it will be solved, explained and repeated as many times as necessary (sometimes more).

blob said:
This thread is now pretty much pointless. In the end, the main opposing argument was : "It's a shounen, time travelling is too complex. One Piece is not sci-fi, and Oda can't do time twists."

Maybe because it's the only answer this thread deserves. If you don't take into account the nature of the show when throwing your predictions, it's pretty much useless.

And did you even try to counter? Or are you going to resort to the same strategy? As sketchy as you want to make it look, an argument is an argument.

Its the answer this thread deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.

Jul 8, 2013 1:20 AM

Okay so..

time travelling luffy/gol d. roger is a possibility, but in my eyes super unlikely. it's just too far separated from what one piece has been for all that has been released up until now. luffy isn't that kind of character, and to reason it with a completely different personality, or gol d. roger as you put it, being luffy, it would just destroy everything that was developed in these 600+ chapters/episodes - oh this entire world was just a possible outcome. yeah it sounds cool and works well in other stories but thats just too far from one piece.
time travel theories can be applied to pretty much any story, the technology doesn't even have to be the method.

I feel like the odd/advanced technology that shows up every now and then is a result of the time gap that got erased from history.
either that or, that's just how it is. the technology isn't so much advanced as it is cleverly done. the weather pole usopp and namis current weapon/abilities are a mix of fantasy/magic/science, somewhat explained at the weather island.

if anything, the main point of interest for technology is dr. vegapunk. - why is he so smart; where did he come from etc.

and then theres the story with all the poneglyphs and ancient weapons. the top people in the navy go so far as to erase a civillization(ohara) to hide this - continuing massacres to hide it is pretty big.
I can't imagine just how much will be revealed when all that happened during that gape is figured out, but i'm sure it will explain a lot of things in the one piece world.

all the moon talk is interesting and whatnot but I wouldn't worry about it. the main story going into space is ridiculous. erase any thoughts of that from your minds lol. any of those references and symbols are just part of how strange the world of one piece is. oda has mixed in ridiculous amounts of legends, history, myths, etc, from various cultures.

the closest thing to time travel at the moment would technically be kizaru's devil fruit ability, and even then its limited time travel :P

it's nice to make theories and everything but the end of one piece is far away. i myself can't take anything said here as conclusive because 1. probability of it being true 2. i won't even remember this thread by the end of one piece, even if something from here is true lol
thus, it is a waste of time to seriously get angry and start raging here.
Modified by Eltrik, Jul 8, 2013 1:46 AM

Jul 8, 2013 1:45 AM

Woah, courageous Eltrik, thanks for reading all of that, and sorry for it being so misleading, I wish I could have summed it up with everything happening on this thread, since there are so many unrelated stuff in it.

I forgot about Ohara, this happened over 300 episodes ago, didn't it? It's so long before anything happens, and it sort of contradicts how people have been saying mysteries are solved quickly... I for myself have been waiting eagerly to find out what kind of training Robin was going through... she WAS with Monkey D. Dragon, but they sort of crossed that out, probably to pop it up sometime in the anime for some dumped information, in my opinion (that is if they do come back to it - I hope they do -_-).

Yeah, forget I said it was a conclusive theory, it's not concluding anything at all, although it could be revealed at the end of the series, like by a movie or OVA, but yeah...

Come visit the Rec club! Everyone gets confused as to what they want to watch or read next. :T

Here is the Official Rec Club list of Recommendations!

Jul 8, 2013 1:49 AM

blob said:
The mystery of Roger being Luffy is solved as soon as an exterior character reveals the truth, may it be an old crew member of Roger that was close to him, or his wife (unless she died, I don't remember what happened to Ace's mom). Maybe important people like Shanks know about it, and that's why he gave him the Straw Hat and held such high hope for Luffy.

Roger's wife died, yep. Anyway, what mystery are you talking about? The structure of the series so far hasn't brought any mystery about Luffy being Roger, it has brought an idea about Luffy being the reincarnation of Roger, which is different. The closest this has got to is the "will of D" issue and it's shared by eight characters. Portgas D. Rouge (Roger's wife), Marshall D. Teach (Blackbeard), Portgas D. Ace, Monkey D. Garp, Monkey D. Dragon, Jaguar D. Saul, Gol D. Roger and Monkey D. Luffy. Are they all the same person?

blob said:
Try to counter? I said earlier how do you guys know what Oda writes (if he only wrote one famous story in One Piece)? Do you know him personally?

I know what he's been writing for 15-16 years. And I know how he writes One Piece, which is the topic at hand, not Oda. Enough?

blob said:
I thought about this before posting my suggestion, don't you worry. In my opinion, since it was overused in sci-fi anime series, it was the precise reason for it to be used in One Piece... It's not that complex, at least not to people I've talked about it to in real life.

Lol, what are you talking about? It is complex if you want to bring it to the latest consequences. It messes with the timeline, therefore makes necessary to rewrite everything that has happened till that moment in a very different way than before. If that's not complicated then forgive me, we have very different mindsets on this term.

blob said:
Same strategy? What can I say about One Piece not being sci-fi? I already said it's fantasy so anything goes, but it still ends up being the only arguments that get brought up, regardless of whether I argue or not.

I say that One Piece is not sci-fi because the idea you bring here is a common archetype of this genre. Since this series doesn't pertain to the genre it makes the idea way less likely to happen. It's the same as if I was rooting for a massive psycho murder in the last episode of a slice of life school comedy. Possible? Yes. Plausible? With the nature of the show at hand, no.

Jul 8, 2013 1:49 AM

blob said:
Woah, courageous Eltrik, thanks for reading all of that, and sorry for it being so misleading, I wish I could have summed it up with everything happening on this thread, since there are so many unrelated stuff in it.

I forgot about Ohara, this happened over 300 episodes ago, didn't it? It's so long before anything happens, and it sort of contradicts how people have been saying mysteries are solved quickly... I for myself have been waiting eagerly to find out what kind of training Robin was going through... she WAS with Monkey D. Dragon, but they sort of crossed that out, probably to pop it up sometime in the anime for some dumped information, in my opinion (that is if they do come back to it - I hope they do -_-).

Yeah, forget I said it was a conclusive theory, it's not concluding anything at all, although it could be revealed at the end of the series, like by a movie or OVA, but yeah...

well anything could be pulled up in the future.
vegapunk already creating pacifistas - robots with lasers- ultimately could come up with time travel but it's just too far away for me to find reason for others to get so worked up about(angrily)

one piece just has so many open ends, characters, stories, and subplots, that there's no telling how oda will/has tie(d) it all together.

Jul 8, 2013 5:49 AM

Eltrik said:
time travelling luffy/gol d. roger is a possibility, but in my eyes super unlikely. it's just too far separated from what one piece has been for all that has been released up until now. luffy isn't that kind of character, and to reason it with a completely different personality, or gol d. roger as you put it, being luffy, it would just destroy everything that was developed in these 600+ chapters/episodes

Basically this.

Jul 8, 2013 9:57 AM

blob said:

@Electuslog : I have been looking at One Piece for entertainment. The last 50 episodes were just too much and made me sad One Piece got so boring. I sense plot twists coming up, but to me it lost its charm, even more so when what I loved of the series was the adventure at sea and then I'm told it's going to space. Fml.

One last thing. When your anime is over 500 episodes, it's not that "genius" to bring some old people back; heck, it happens in 20 episodes series. Also, most of the greater events happened at the beginning of the series (or at least before the 300 episodes mark). I agree with you it was good stuff, but yeah, I lost interest.

I'm still reading manga though, I'm following it and it's much less time waste than the anime.

This thread is now pretty much pointless. In the end, the main opposing argument was : "It's a shounen, time travelling is too complex. One Piece is not sci-fi, and Oda can't do time twists."

It's never going to space, that was just Enel and his side story. Why would Luffy go to space if he wants to go to Raftel :')? The sea adventures are still coming, they will be going to Elbaf, Wano and so much more~

It is actually genius to bring back characters, because they don't just casually walk in, they LINK with what's going on now, that's the beauty of it. Marineford, Fishman Island and Impel Down were all great when I marathoned through them, I guess waiting for them had a toll. The manga itself is in a very exciting stage right now, not sure how you're losing interest with all that's going on, we can talk endlessly on what we think will happen :')
Wise shit.

Jul 8, 2013 11:26 AM

It's not that hard to grasp. Only read the first page but...

Even if your time machine theory can work, it's just... pointless? Why over complicate everything?

Also this just feels like an asspull honestly. What was the point of building a world with such awesome CHARACTERS if at the end you're just going to forget about them and focus on Luffy?
Luffy may be the protagonist, but the world does NOT center around him.

I mean, it works. This CAN happen but it's... it would make me dislike One Piece. This isn't a sci-fi show. This would leave such a bad taste in my mouth.... :(

Also, wouldn't this change the entire meaning of Luffy? I know it's an alternate version of him, but they wouldn't share anything of the same ideals if that were the case. Luffy doesn't care about fame, power, or prestige. He doesn't care about wealth either. He only cares about freedom and adventure. He is also very very dumb and relatively innocent. Even if Roger is a Luffy that grew up from a separate time line, there has to be some similarity in character... and these are the basics of what make Luffy Luffy.

Luffy isn't smart enough to create such a COMPLICATED plan.

What would Luffy gain if he did do this? Fame? Power? Vengeance? Chaos? etc. HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THAT STUFF.

Would he be making the current Luffy have more fun and give him more of an adventure? WHY WOULD LUFFY CARE ABOUT HIS FUTURE SELF? HE LIVES IN THE MOMENT NOT FOR THE FUTURE.

It just doesn't suit Luffy. Again, Roger may be a Luffy from a different timeline, but the essentials of luffy's character has to reside in his alternate self. This plan revolves around someone who is mature, and carries much different goals, ideals, and desires.

edit:
Also, this wouldn't solve anything. It might have changed the world, but the current timeline has it's own set of problems and circumstances. This entire theory wouldn't change/influence the future of this timeline or help solve any of the problems. UNLESS, the current luffy finds this timeline and goes back HUNDREDS of years ago to the void century and does something then... but that would just create another timeline with a whole other world (meaning the entire world building of this world would pretty much go to waste...) and it would create a whole new setting... which would have it's own set of problems... the problem would never be resolved, it would just disappear from Luffy's eyes and a whole new set of problems would appear before him. It would be like running away only to get into a worse situation... or better... but it can't be better if you're just suddenly catapulted into the middle of it.
Modified by DarkAngelz, Jul 8, 2013 11:33 AM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

Preview MangaManga Store