Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 2, 2013 1:27 PM

Nov 2011
Here you can suggest books you've read to all of us and bring your opinions of each aforementioned book. Please remember that this forum should remain spoiler-free in consideration of those who haven't read said book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would like to suggest a light novel I recently finished, Gekkou.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/44167/Gekkou
It is a wonderous oddball of sorts combining mystery and romance beautifully whilst centering on the thoughts of our main character, Nonomiya. It's definitely a must-read for those craving a quick read that really manages to draw you in.
Luna_SparkleJul 2, 2013 1:33 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 5, 2013 7:51 AM
Mar 2013
I'd like to suggest " Metro 2033 ", it's a very very good NOVEL ( Not LN ), fantastic, futuristic ( a bit ) with action, a good plot and all.

If you want a Light Novel then I recommand Spice & Wolf, I watched the anime and was like " Yeah, I love this, I wonder if there's any sequel to it " . Then I found the LN and, bought it on internet - because I'm french and it's not out here - and like the anime, really enjoyed it ( I hope you understand what I'm saying, sorry for my bad english :p )
Jul 5, 2013 8:40 AM

Nov 2011
Okay, I can't hold this one in.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox
This is a novel by Mary E. Pearson, and one of my personal favorites. It is a sci-fi influenced drama, taking place in our future, from the eyes of Jenna Fox, who has just awoken from a coma. She is filled with questions throughout the series, constantly asking herself, and drawing her own conclusions. It takes a scientific approach towards answering the mystery surrounding Jenna Fox, and it will always be on my personal bookshelf.
Mar 25, 2014 4:03 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Recently finished Mimizuku to Yoru no Ou. I started it with high expectations because it's score on MAL was ridicoulusly high when I started it (it was 8,67, but it's lower now) and because I heard it won the Grand Prize in the 13th Dengeki Novel Contest; and I wasn't disappointed.

Briefly, this novel is about a little girl who wants to be eaten, and a monster who refuses to eat her. It's a very short, simple and straightforward novel so I can't describe the story more than that without giving spoilers. But I can say that it's a beautiful and absorbing novel with well-made and likeable characters, and that it made me cry. (though I cry very easily so that doesn't say much)

It feels more like a fairy tale than a novel and is quite short, I'd recommend it to those who like fantasy and those looking for a quick read.
Mar 25, 2014 6:44 PM

Nov 2011
Youjinbou said:
Recently finished Mimizuku to Yoru no Ou. I started it with high expectations because it's score on MAL was ridicoulusly high when I started it (it was 8,67, but it's lower now) and because I heard it won the Grand Prize in the 13th Dengeki Novel Contest; and I wasn't disappointed.

Briefly, this novel is about a little girl who wants to be eaten, and a monster who refuses to eat her. It's a very short, simple and straightforward novel so I can't describe the story more than that without giving spoilers. But I can say that it's a beautiful and absorbing novel with well-made and likeable characters, and that it made me cry. (though I cry very easily so that doesn't say much)

It feels more like a fairy tale than a novel and is quite short, I'd recommend it to those who like fantasy and those looking for a quick read.

Oh, jeez. I read this book a few weeks ago, it was great, and I loved the ending. I found it really neat as to how it sympathizes with the monsters, but doesn't portray the humans as inherently 'evil'.
May 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2009
I've been meaning to read Mimizuku.

These are the two I've read recently that are very worth recommending in my eyes.

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees.

This is a lovely delightful magical read. It was originally published in 1926 before the tropes of fantasy were really established so it feels quite different in atmosphere, direction and the way it's written. It has an interesting set up where fairy like things are forbidden and looked down upon. It basically starts off with the mayor's son having eaten a fairy fruit and how he has to discover a way to try and save him. I don't really want to give too much away, but it blends fantasy with mystery and drama quite well and builds up a certain amount of tension. There's lots of dream like and surreal qualities also merging and I was very absorbed in it.

The Gormenghast Series by Mervyn Peake.

This is a series comprised of three novels (Titus Groan, Gormenghast, Titus Alone). I haven't finished reading this yet so I'll just share how I feel about it so far. Peake writes like a painter with the way he's able to conjure imagery with his beautiful descriptions, you can clearly tell how passionate he was about writing I feel. The setting takes place in a castle beginning with the birth of a child and there are no dragons, magic or monsters to be found that are usually very common in fantasy, all of the wonder resides in the characters and how fantastical they are. This review sums up what I would say if I had a better way with words - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1203852?book_show_action=true&page=1
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» English Light Novels

Luna_Sparkle - Feb 8, 2014

4 by Luna_Sparkle »»
Nov 17, 2014 7:54 PM

» What are your favorite books or manga?

Luna_Sparkle - Jul 5, 2013

18 by Luna_Sparkle »»
Nov 7, 2014 10:23 PM

Sticky: » The Manga Section

Luna_Sparkle - Jul 2, 2013

1 by zob3314 »»
Jul 5, 2013 7:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.