Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jun 29, 2013 10:17 PM

Fate/Zero could have been a masterpiece if not for its incomprehensible ending. Although that could just be me not having read the Fate/Stay Night VN. I am actually keen to try out the VN so I can understand the lore and ending a bit better, but I'm afraid it's going to ruin the memories and my appreciation of the characters from F/Z considering F/SN is an eroge done by typemoon and F/Z is written by Gen Urobuchi. Will the tone and the maturity of fate zero be ruined if I read the VN, considering the two series are done by different people? Somehow I feel the Fate/Zero would've been better being a stand alone series.
I just feel a bit skeptical of F/SN. Anyway do you think it's worth reading? Is it strongly related to Fate Zero?

Jun 29, 2013 10:27 PM

YES.

The only thing you'll probably not like about the VN is the slice of life moments in the Fate and UBW route as it's kinda lengthy.

The ending of Fate/Zero always gives me goosebumps when I watch it up till now, in your case, you might find it incomprehensible for watching Fate/Zero first before reading the VN.

The tone of Fate/Zero compared to the Fate and UBW routes aren't that similar, as for the HF route, I found it on the same level of darkness with Fate/Zero.

Well in my opinion, I'll say that the HF route of the VN is much superior than Fate/Zero itself.

Jun 29, 2013 10:40 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

The Fate route is your action shounen harem schtick.

The Unlimited Blade Works route takes the action shounen harem schtick of the Fate route and turns it on its head. Probably my favorite of the routes because of how it made me appreciate the Fate route. There's also a lot of action later on, so there's that.

The Heaven's Feel route is...Well...That's where basically Fate/zero leaves off and gets picked back up. It connects all the dots, so to speak. Also, kitchen scenes.

The visual novel is pretty good, but it's pretty long with a lot of downtime between the major events. Not sure about maturity, but it never really has the same feel as Fate/zero, except maybe in Heaven's Feel when it goes spoilers. I personally feel that when the visual novel wants to be bad, it gets bad, but when it decides to be awesome, it really goes awesome.

Jun 29, 2013 10:42 PM

How long does it take to finish it? Does the eroge elements take away the badassery-ness of Saber and the seriousness of the series? Also will it relate to the characters from Fate/Zero and further develop their back story for example kiritsugu and iri, zouken, kotomine and etc.

Jun 29, 2013 11:07 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Well, it took me around 40 hours I think to finish it. It was something like, 1-4 hours a day for two weeks. With the eroge content, you can install it with the option of taking out H scenes, if that's what you mean. There's definitely a crapton of slice of life type of stuff at the beginning of each route before things start kicking into high gear though. And again, it's the Heaven's Feel route where it connects the dots. So...Yeah, it's all piled up at the end, so it's one hell of an endurance run. I'd still say that the payoff was well worth it. Hoped that helped.

Jun 30, 2013 12:27 AM

Saber never had any badassery,except HF, even without the hentai scenes.

For the hentai scenes you can just fast foward them by pressing ctrl.It is easy to know when it come since the voices disappear.

YEs it develops some chars but ignores others.Kotomine for example has better development in FSN than FZ.Kiritsugu died at the last scene of FZ so nothing for him if we exclude how he affected Shirou.Iri is referenced once...etc etc

As for the differences in writing.Eh no they arent different except for the age of the characters.

And no FZ wouldnt be better because it relies on many things from FSN VN.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 1, 2013 2:02 AM

You're supposed to read the FSN VN before you read F/Z because the two stories complement each other. There's also a ton of Easter eggs hidden in F/Z that references the F/SN VN. It took me approximately 60 hours to complete all the endings including the 40 bad endings. Although if you just want to go for all the important endings, you'd need around 20-30 ish hours. Also, F/SN VN is the reason why we all love Kotomine Kirei.

ssjokg said:
Saber never had any badassery,except HF, even without the hentai scenes.

For the hentai scenes you can just fast foward them by pressing ctrl.It is easy to know when it come since the voices disappear.

YEs it develops some chars but ignores others.Kotomine for example has better development in FSN than FZ.Kiritsugu died at the last scene of FZ so nothing for him if we exclude how he affected Shirou.Iri is referenced once...etc etc

As for the differences in writing.Eh no they arent different except for the age of the characters.

And no FZ wouldnt be better because it relies on many things from FSN VN.

And yeh..when this soundtrack starts playing, it means that the sex scene is going to come up.

As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.

Jul 1, 2013 3:22 PM

gamesareawesome said:
Fate/Zero could have been a masterpiece if not for its incomprehensible ending. Although that could just be me not having read the Fate/Stay Night VN. I am actually keen to try out the VN so I can understand the lore and ending a bit better, but I'm afraid it's going to ruin the memories and my appreciation of the characters from F/Z considering F/SN is an eroge done by typemoon and F/Z is written by Gen Urobuchi. Will the tone and the maturity of fate zero be ruined if I read the VN, considering the two series are done by different people? Somehow I feel the Fate/Zero would've been better being a stand alone series.
I just feel a bit skeptical of F/SN. Anyway do you think it's worth reading? Is it strongly related to Fate Zero?

The ending of fate/Zero is VERY comprehensible once you understand the mechanics and reason for what is going on.

FSN VN is a part action movie part philosophical debate part character exploration - It essentially focuses on four characters affected by Fate/Zero's events the most - Sakura, Rin, Shiro and Saber - having to deal with the heritage and sins of past generations.

Most of novel except for prologue and epilogue parts is told from Shiro's POV, exploring his psychological condition and strange view on reality with each of three routes having him take significantly different choices.

Each of three routes exists simultaneously as parallel reality, each of three routes are equally canon and tell the whole story, through three different versions of the next Holy Grail War.

Each route is focused on one of heroines...well, that's technically not true but oh well.

"fate" route that comes first, focuses on Saber, her past and tragedies of her life, as well as Shiro's own personality, exploring his motivations and what drives him as a person.

"Unlimited Blade Works" focuses on Shiro's own character development exploring his reason for standing up and not running away from what is happening - exploring what it means to grow up and what worth morality has in our world, if none. At the same time it focuses on Tohsaka Rin, her past, present and future and how she views the world and is impacted by the events happening around her.

"Heaven's Feel", the last "parallel reality" of the game focuses on Shiro, further exploring his character, his inspiration from Kiritsugu and parallels with Kiritsugu's own life. With Rin it focuses on her family issues and sins her father committed as well as Sakura. Sakura's part of story focuses on mental trauma fate/zero events and everything after caused to her and asks - is one person's life worth millions? And can anything redeem a person who lost hope for life and happiness? And when the question of morality comes - does end justify the means?

Character fates are extremely different depending on every route AND - there's about a DOZEN of bad endings, each of which IS canon too in the whole multiverse.

Maturity part is debatable - fate/Zero focused on gray morality and the effect of our choices - fate/stay night focuses on a teenager entering the world of adult and how the mentality of childhood might or might not clash with cruel cold reality of adulthood. It does explore similar themes, but focuses more on character growth itself.

And no, fate/Zero would not be "better" without FSN - they are two parts of the whole - and no matter in which order you see them, they work together, even if they spoil each other, somewhat in places.

And hell yes it is worth the read. It might not be as mind-bendingly filled with philosophical babble as tsukihime or kara no kyoukai novels, but its nearby. Also Urobutcher's writing style is quite close to that of Kinoko Nasu.

gamesareawesome said:
How long does it take to finish it? Does the eroge elements take away the badassery-ness of Saber and the seriousness of the series? Also will it relate to the characters from Fate/Zero and further develop their back story for example kiritsugu and iri, zouken, kotomine and etc.

40 to 50 hours.

And yes. It relates to those characters and develops backstories.

however in case of Kiritsugu and some others - its more about finding out how their life turns out than what was in their life before. And Iri part mostly focuses on her daughter and the effects everything had on her.

In a sense its a coming of age story, developing those who survived the previous war. At the same time its the "sins of our fathers" kind of story, exploring what the decisions of people before them did to those characters.
Modified by Ahenshihael, Jul 1, 2013 3:30 PM