Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2013 12:51 AM
Mar 2011
Projektorinski said:
Well. From a production perspective, wouldn't it be a hell of a lot of work to create all those scenes for the montage? This is rotoscoping here, they have to find every location, set it up, get everyone there, act it out right, then animate it. Every single bit of it, for what we're only going to see for a few seconds? This is what is leading me to believe that 1. This ep didn't stem from "a lack of budget" and 2. second season could very well be in the works already

9/10 for me, one of the best shows I've seen in a while, and I feel so bad for people who couldn't get past the art style.

that montage does look like the production for the next season is already done. its just a metter of when to show it. hopefully theyre just delaying the announcement. when that happens im definitely pre-ordering this.
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jun 30, 2013 1:12 AM
Apr 2011
Meh. The director is trying to be artsy instead of making a good adaptation. So they turn half of the episode into a recap and other half is showing 5 second static stills of scenes from the succeeding chapters...That was pretty underwhelming.

There is almost no chance of getting a season 2 now. Poor Tokiwa... The only good thing is that I'm not really emotionally invested in this series or in the manga. Oh well.
Jun 30, 2013 1:26 AM

Feb 2008
Disappointing ending, recap for the first half and then stuff that should have happened(?) flashed through in the second half.
Still, I really liked this series so I'm going to keep my 8/10.
Jun 30, 2013 1:27 AM
Mar 2013
Projektorinski said:
Well. From a production perspective, wouldn't it be a hell of a lot of work to create all those scenes for the montage? This is rotoscoping here, they have to find every location, set it up, get everyone there, act it out right, then animate it. Every single bit of it, for what we're only going to see for a few seconds? This is what is leading me to believe that 1. This ep didn't stem from "a lack of budget" and 2. second season could very well be in the works already

9/10 for me, one of the best shows I've seen in a while, and I feel so bad for people who couldn't get past the art style.

Yeah, the ending montage isn't something that could just be "thrown together" very easily. The amount of work required would have been enormous. It would be a big waste if we don't get a part 2 out of that.

Anyway, I thought the show was OK overall. Certainly something different from my normal experience.
Jun 30, 2013 1:54 AM

Jan 2010
lol...Well, at least it's over.

Anyone remember Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou ?

This reminded me of that awful series finale.
"Seize the time, Meribor - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Jun 30, 2013 2:30 AM
Nov 2012
If people want a second season, buy the DVD/BDs. Right now, Aku no Hana is predicted to be one of the anime with the worst sales of spring (it won't even reach 1k according to statistics on preorders made) so the chances of a second season are really low.
The production committee won't invest money on a second season of something that generated very low sales.

Otherwise, start reading the manga from vol. 4 ch. 21 to know what happens next.
Jun 30, 2013 2:58 AM

Apr 2012
I'll definitely buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out.

I actually thought the end of the season was really good, it kind of showcased what could be, and what could be looked awesome. The backgrounds looked fantastic in this episode, I'm really impressed with a series that I wanted to drop after the first episode.

You've got to love the director's comments at the end of each episode, "I'm sorry I called you all pieces of shit," indeed.
Hachikuji: Araragi-san, you don't look even the least bit apologetic. You should at least say something after touching a girl's delicate chest!
Araragi: *Clueless look* Thanks?

Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.
Jun 30, 2013 3:02 AM

Jun 2012
This final episode, even though it was basically a recap, had what the series lacked the most imo, fast pacing.
Got used to the animation, and honestly it was kinda nice after all, but i think there was so much wasted potential here..

6/10 ( the setting/plot/theme kept it that high for me)
Jun 30, 2013 3:11 AM
May 2013
2/10 ending for a 9/10 show. logically, this would bring the final vote down to a 7, but if there ends up being no Part Two then this was the copout of the century. even so, the first 7~ episodes of this were A++, coming from someone who hasn't read the manga. final verdict: high hopes for S2 but given the reaction to S1, I'm not holding my breath.

also, Nakamura's GET OUT gif is best gif
Jun 30, 2013 3:16 AM

Feb 2011
I thought that was a terrible last episode. Hopefully there's another season...
Jun 30, 2013 3:24 AM

Oct 2012
Here is what it said on the end card:

皆様をクソムシ呼ばわりして
どうもすみませんでした!
押見修造

Minasama o kusomushi yobawarishite
dōmo sumimasen deshita!
Oshimi Shūzō

I'll translate it this way:

With my deep respect to all of you,
I am very sorry for having called
you kusomushi! -- Oshimi Shūzō
okanaganJun 30, 2013 3:35 AM
Jun 30, 2013 3:26 AM

May 2012
Welp. What an anti-climax, I was hoping for Nakamura's room to be more................ interesting.

Also a lot of flashbacks and a tiny hint of what's to come. Good show. Not the best ending.
Jun 30, 2013 3:27 AM

Sep 2012
Gimme second season!!! *0*
Jun 30, 2013 3:31 AM

Jan 2012
;_; Damn this episode was intense, I think I literally fell in love with Nakamura *_* and what is this, the prospect of a part 2, I'm down. After all the haters hating it's funny to see this could get a sequel, I for one really hope it does.
Jun 30, 2013 3:42 AM

Nov 2007
flamingo-chan said:
If people want a second season, buy the DVD/BDs. Right now, Aku no Hana is predicted to be one of the anime with the worst sales of spring (it won't even reach 1k according to statistics on preorders made) so the chances of a second season are really low.
The production committee won't invest money on a second season of something that generated very low sales.

I say good luck. The production committee will only consider sales in the domestic market. So you will need many people to buy all the Japanese BD/DVD (¥6,300/¥5,775 or 63.52 USD/58.23 USD per volume) volumes, where volume 1 has the first 2 episodes on them.

It comes out on July 24, so you guys still have a chance to turn things around if there are several thousand of you that are willing to buy. However, the sales of the manga were boosted from the anime. Whether this is enough for a sequel is anyone's guess. Of course this anime could be a planned split 2-cour... which means it is almost likely to get a sequel regardless of the disc sales in that case. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
EjcJun 30, 2013 3:47 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jun 30, 2013 3:47 AM

Jan 2012
Ejc said:

I say good luck. The production committee will only consider sales in the domestic market. So you will need many people need to buy the Japanese BD/DVD (¥6,300/¥5,775).

It comes out on July 24, so you guys still have a chance to turn things around if there are several thousand of you that are willing to buy. However, the sales of the manga were boosted from the anime. Whether this is enough for a sequel is anyone's guess. Of course this anime could be a planned split 2-cour... which means it is almost likely to get a sequel regardless of the disc sales. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I wish people would stop talking about BD / DVD sales as the only indicator or profit and therefor a sequel. Look at Chihayafuru, all the BD sales fanatics were saying it would never get a 2nd season and look what we got. This obviously won't sell many BD as it pretty much went out with the intention of pissing off otaku, the main demographic that buys them, the mangaka even said this in his interview.

Considering the end I will pretty much put money on Hiroshi doing a 2nd season regardless of BD sales. It would be nice if the manga sales get boosted and it sold some though.
Jun 30, 2013 3:49 AM

Nov 2007
ReasonDesu said:
Ejc said:

I say good luck. The production committee will only consider sales in the domestic market. So you will need many people need to buy the Japanese BD/DVD (¥6,300/¥5,775).

It comes out on July 24, so you guys still have a chance to turn things around if there are several thousand of you that are willing to buy. However, the sales of the manga were boosted from the anime. Whether this is enough for a sequel is anyone's guess. Of course this anime could be a planned split 2-cour... which means it is almost likely to get a sequel regardless of the disc sales. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I wish people would stop talking about BD / DVD sales as the only indicator or profit and therefor a sequel. Look at Chihayafuru, all the BD sales fanatics were saying it would never get a 2nd season and look what we got. This obviously won't sell many BD as it pretty much went out with the intention of pissing off otaku, the main demographic that buys them, the mangaka even said this in his interview.

Considering the end I will pretty much put money on Hiroshi doing a 2nd season regardless of BD sales. It would be nice if the manga sales get boosted and it sold some though.

There is reason to talk about BD/DVD sales, because that is one factor in determining if a "late-night" anime gets a sequel or not. In Chihayafuru's case, the anime provided a big boost to the manga sales. It did not get a sequel from thin-air. As I wrote in my previous post, Aku no Hana manga did get a boost from the anime. Whether that is enough, i'm not sure... but you cannot just ignore BD/DVD sales talk in likelihood of anime getting sequels.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jun 30, 2013 3:56 AM

Oct 2012
I feel uneasy about calling this anime series "a classic" since people interpret
that as meaning "very good". Many perceptive and articulate people have
posted comments here to point out many things that are very bad about
Aku no Hana.

I'll put things another way. This series seems to be the kind of thing that
could be memorable, notable and timeless. Decades from now, people
will still be buying the Blu-ray. My guess is that almost every other anime
series playing at this moment will soon be forgotten, but feel free to
challenge me on that point. 50 years from now, professors teaching
courses about the history of visual art will mention Aku no Hana as a key
example. The crude rotoscoping. The excess use of still frames. The
overlong walking scenes. The creepy faceless people. Don't be surprised
if some of your comments here on MAL are remembered as well! I'll call it
a timeless story, but in thirty years it will look dated as styles change. So
there will be periodic re-tellings. A thousand years from now, there will
still be 14-year-olds, and Aku no Hana is one story about them.
Jun 30, 2013 4:05 AM
Apr 2011
A season 2 is too damn expensive to produce. If the BD sales tanked, no one will be willing to fund it. So OVA is the only option right now. And the only way they can make an OVA is to ask the government to fund it. Yes it sounds like a joke but Blood-C was able to make a movie because of government funding.
Jun 30, 2013 4:05 AM

May 2010
9/10 for me. even if there is no season 2
Jun 30, 2013 4:16 AM

Oct 2012
Ravagestorm:

Your comments are very interesting. However, I don't think that any of us
have any idea of the actual dollar amounts to produce Season 1 of Aku no
Hana. Likewise, we have no idea how much the production company got
paid. A difference of plus or minus 10% determines whether it was a good
or bad business decision.

A big part of the decision for Season 2 could depend on the details in the
contracts for the voice and rotoscope performers. If they have the right
to renegotiate their contracts for Season 2 then it would be less likely. I
am just guessing here, but I think that the voice/rotoscope actor for
Kasuga didn't get paid very much, since he has no past experience. He
looks like he has the potential for a successful career in the industry.

Very interesting to hear about the government funding a movie based on
Blood-C. However, here in Canada it is normal that our federal and
provincial governments financially support movies, tv shows and cartoon
production. So every taxpayer here is forced to pay for the creation of
this art no matter if the quality is good or bad.
Jun 30, 2013 4:46 AM

Dec 2012
well, the recap was not bad. it was quite well done.
but this whole episode was a letdown. i expected something shocking or mindfucking. i actually expected saeki to go crazy because i always had such a weird feeling regarding her. or that nakamura and kasuga finally run away and it would be the last shot at the end of the episode.

kasuga burns his book, screams that his dad is a piece of shit, nakamura hugs saeki etc. i guess that was showing what would happen during season 2? it made me a bit curious, ngl.
Jun 30, 2013 4:51 AM

Dec 2009
I thought it ended perfectly. They teased at where things would go from now and to solidify it had Kasuga tell Nakamura to make a contract. Even if they won't make a second season (but they probably will) it was a strong ending.

10/10 for me, I had goosebumps all the way from Kasuga reading Nakamura's 'diary' to the teasing montage.
Ara ara.
Jun 30, 2013 4:54 AM
Nov 2012
ReasonDesu said:

Yes, but Chihayafuru was a special case. Also, Chihayafuru anime sales averaged 2,500 copies per volume. Last time I checked the Amazon stalker Aku no Hana BD/DVD 1 was estimated to sell 800 copies which is a bit pathetic (not as pathetic as Arata Kangatari which has the lowest sales right now).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a second season and the manga sales got boosted a little bit, even if not as much as Chihayafuru.
But ZEXCS at this rate will go bankrupt, one of their latest anime adaptation Sukkitte ii na Yo sold less than 300 copies. Cuticle Tantei Inaba sold 2,321 copies.

At least their next adaptation is a very popular otome game (and pretty disturbing one), Diabolik Lovers.
flamingo-chanJun 30, 2013 5:09 AM
Jun 30, 2013 4:58 AM

Oct 2012
DoomCraft wrote:
I thought it ended perfectly.

Agreed.
Jun 30, 2013 6:07 AM

Jul 2012
battosai-01 said:
Kind of spoilerific last ep, but also kind of awesome. I guess I'm one of the only people that actually liked this 9/10. I kinda doubt theres gonna be an s2, but the end of part 1 part gives me hope. Well off to read the manga.

Don't worry about it
Basically, a lot of people liked this last episode, but the first commenters denigrated it.
For me, a second season would transform my 9/10 in a 10/10
Let's just wait for it xD
Jun 30, 2013 6:08 AM

Dec 2011
Despite i'm up-to-date with the manga, and i already know what's going to happen it was a stuning ending scene, qith all the voices overlaping one another and over the ending song...

it took me 5 full minutes to start moving again.
Jun 30, 2013 6:20 AM

Sep 2009
I thought it ended very well. The preview felt like I was watching a much better version of School Days
Please let there be a second season. Otherwise I'll go read the manga.

The ending boosted my rating to an 8/10.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Jun 30, 2013 6:21 AM

Nov 2012
What? That's the last episode? Started off well, but was it worth watching in the end? Also nice one kasuga, becoming one of my least liked prots ever, you crybaby.

Jun 30, 2013 6:42 AM

Dec 2009
Ugh. I was already worried about how they would end this series, but they ended it in a much worse way than I had expected. Sure, it was cool that they showed what anime-viewers will never see (or at least, most likely will never see), but it lacked impact. Much like the whole series.

4/10

It had its moments, but on a whole it was rather unsatisfactory.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jun 30, 2013 7:37 AM

Mar 2012
I really liked the atmosphere in this series.
Loving Nakamura - her opinion about people and the world reflects my own.
Against all the hating - I liked the animation style. Looked very refreshing.
Overall it's a great story for all people who can relate to Nakamura's feelings. The thing I absolutely HATED about this series was deficiency of story telling in every and each episode. It was over before it even started, and the ending of 13th episode was just trash. Overall great climate and story line, Nakamura's a great character but I feel like the entirety of the show could of been executed better. 8/10.
Jun 30, 2013 7:49 AM

Jul 2011
Considering the last minutes were a recap of the remaining chapters before the time skip and it said "end of part 1" I think there's a big chance for a 2nd season. Bring.it.on 8/10
Jun 30, 2013 7:59 AM

Jan 2013
The "things to come" that they showed actually looked decent. I didn't think they'd be able to pull those scenes off but it looks like it would be done well. Although I doubt they'll get another season but if they do, I'd definitely watch. O well, the manga is still good.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jun 30, 2013 8:04 AM

Mar 2012
For those who didn't like the ending, how would you have ended it?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 30, 2013 8:07 AM

Dec 2012
Good episode. As a whole, the anime started off pretty slow, but it got so interesting through the middle to the end. I dreaded the ending song of each episode. When I heard the music start and that creepy "hana ga saita yo..." I was always like "NO!!! not yet!!!"

8.5/10

WHERE IS MY SECOND SEASON?
Jun 30, 2013 8:37 AM

Jul 2012
Wow it was just a recap mixed with preview of next season... I'm glad though, they will end it with festival scene. I can't wait it will be so cool.
Jun 30, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2012
That ending.....wtf happened because I'm not even sure.

As some bizarre art form, this show might do very well, but as an anime, Aku no Hana fails. It's simply too deep for me and the other average plebeians.

3/10. Would not watch season 2 if they were to make one.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jun 30, 2013 8:48 AM

Jan 2011
Just because it previews a second season or hints for more content means nothing. It's happened more than once before when the last episode hypes a second season and bears no fruit. IMO I doubt it. Didn't even bother to watch it after all.
Jun 30, 2013 8:54 AM

May 2010
Whoa, I didn't expect them to show the future like that. I thought it was done beautifully, but people who haven't read the manga are probably like WTF. So, read the manga. XD

Really, something about this show just makes me love it to pieces. I cannot wait for the second half.
Jun 30, 2013 9:19 AM

Oct 2012
So, second season is set in stone. And we also got some interesting preview.
Those things really looked promising!

But I didn't like the fact almost everything in this episode was flashback.

Anyway, this being the first part I am giving this anime 6/10. Well, it was more like 7 for me at first but all that trolling in previous episodes (hell, backwards walk scene this time!) changed my mind in the end and I will up the vote if the second season is good. This show was really so different from other animes and it deserves its attention. So, see you next time!
Mich666Jun 30, 2013 9:22 AM
Jun 30, 2013 9:44 AM

Oct 2010
this started out good, but it got really slow towards the end, from what i hear though seems like there would have been some good material to adapt, if they do i am not watching until it is fully aired so i can look at raitings, or i might just read the manga
Jun 30, 2013 9:58 AM

Aug 2011
I did not like this episode...it was really just a recap episode for half of it and a preview of season 2 for the other half. Nyways we get another season so i guess im overall happy.
Jun 30, 2013 10:24 AM

Apr 2012
Araby said:

I would have ended it with Kasuga

Overall, this was a godawful last episode to a bad adaptation. So much foot dragging and time wasting in every episode they could have easily covered more of the manga. Instead, they have Kasuga walking slowly toward Nakamura's desk for the first five minutes of the episode so we have to watch every step. And that's pretty much what this anime was, dragging everything out until it lost all impact or meaning. The pacing was absolutely dreadful all the way through, so many scenes of just absolutely nothing. It's like they were too lazy to create filler scenes so they just replaced it with scenes of long walks. The atmosphere was laughably heavy handed to the point where the show was trying to stuff it down the viewers throat and just didn't work at all.

And none of it meant anything or representative of anything. Instead they removed things that would have helped the viewer to understand the characters better, or changed it to give make a character come off as different than the do in the manga. However, manga or no manga this anime was a waste of time of effort and there's no way this horseshit is getting a second season.

last episode 1 out of 10 for being a barely coherent mess and over all the series is a 3 out of 10 for taking a good concept and ruining it.
Jun 30, 2013 11:17 AM
Mar 2011
Mich666 said:
So, second season is set in stone. And we also got some interesting preview.
Those things really looked promising!

But I didn't like the fact almost everything in this episode was flashback.

Anyway, this being the first part I am giving this anime 6/10. Well, it was more like 7 for me at first but all that trolling in previous episodes (hell, backwards walk scene this time!) changed my mind in the end and I will up the vote if the second season is good. This show was really so different from other animes and it deserves its attention. So, see you next time!

wait, what? season 2 is coming? if so, i would definitely be watching that.

anyway, not really sure how much more funding is needed for a second season. i mean the preview looks like its already made?
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jun 30, 2013 11:33 AM
Sep 2012
dunno about anyone else, but I LOVED this episode. It was great artistically, it was great musically, it was great in terms of storytelling and foreshadowing, everything about this was perfect for me. Show is officially a 9/10 for me
"I got a life in my grip, she holding tight to my wrist
She screaming: "Don't let me slip"
She see the tears in my eyes, I see the fear on her lips"
Jun 30, 2013 12:27 PM

Nov 2007
Either the last few minutes was a preview for part 2 or they ran out of time. Still a piece of shit that for some reason I couldn't drop...
Jun 30, 2013 12:42 PM

May 2013
I don't care if everyone else hates this. It's a piece of shit and I love it. I need a second season.
Jun 30, 2013 1:08 PM

Feb 2012
Kinda disappointed when he opened the door to reveal a pretty average room.
Jun 30, 2013 1:16 PM

Dec 2009
I don't care that people hated the art. I don't care that some episodes were painfully slow. I don't care that it's not an ordinary anime that has a strange concept. I don't care that people hated it in general.

This anime was one of the most beautiful fucking animes I have ever seen and I don't care if people think otherwise. I truly cannot wait for what's to come because that's when the manga truly gets good. I highly doubt they're ending it all here.
Jun 30, 2013 1:27 PM
Apr 2011
Araby said:

I really wanted the anime to follow the manga but I have several alternate endings in mind.

Major manga spoilers:

Or

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

saka - May 27, 2013

154 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.