Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2013 8:04 PM
Sep 2008
Really thought that was a perfect adaption.
Animation was perfect for this story with it's tone. Music was also pitch-perfect.

Hoping we see the teased season 2!
Jul 1, 2013 10:47 PM
Apr 2011
bakapunt said:
I was late watching this episode.
It felt like the last jumble of scenes were a preview of the next season, so it's probably already been filmed. This ending was perfectly fine if this is the case.
This anime was a work of art. Not everyone enjoyed it, which is understandable, but I did. It was beautiful.
I'll be picking up the manga now.

that would be wonderful if there's already another season done

either way i'm reading the manga now because i can't wait that long to find out what happens next
Jul 1, 2013 11:48 PM
Jul 2008
HAHAH Knew there was gonna be a 2nd season. Will it be rotoscoped tho?...
Jul 1, 2013 11:58 PM

Dec 2012
MJSpice said:
HAHAH Knew there was gonna be a 2nd season. Will it be rotoscoped tho?...
Well yes. Why would they completely change the animation style at this point? They showed previews anyway.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 2, 2013 12:31 AM

Dec 2010
TK6 said:
ReasonDesu said:
Love how the people declaring the manga a masterpiece have enough manga on their lists that I can count them on both hands. I'm no expert either but even from fans of the manga I've heard it's a masochistically bad pleasure art and story wise (i.e it's pretty shabby), even Oshimi jokes he makes it with the intention of "killing" his readers. I started trying to read it but I really can't live with the cute little schoolgirl that Nakamura used to be. The anime has way more atmosphere and character to it IMO.

oh so you think the anime is better thats interesting. I just think the manga is better simply because it has gotten further in the story but the anime encouraged me to read the manga.

I'm with ReasonDesu here, but I'm going a little bit further and will NOT read the manga because I don't want to be spoiled. When I heared about this anime I saw comparisons of the art styles for the manga/anime and thought that the manga looks like the standard generic stuff that would bore me after seeing what they did in the anime. So I'm pumped for season 2 and will stay away from any spoiler and will count the days till we see Kasuga and Nakamura again...
Jul 2, 2013 2:08 AM

Jan 2008
Didn't the director say this episode was going to blow all your minds, that you've never seen anything like this?
Jul 2, 2013 2:59 AM

Feb 2012
Not that great last episode, but the footage was knda powerful and pretty mindfucking (like the whole anime). I see a strong indication that there might be as well a second season, so if it's true, it needs to be announced soon, since I'm really intrigued by the story and I don't know whether should I start reading the manga or wait.
Anyway, this anime was really special. I've never really seen anything like this and I highly appreciate its originality. There were some dull moments and the animation/rotoscoping wasn't always top notch too, therefore I give it 7/10. It's definitely one of the most interesting shows out there though.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jul 2, 2013 5:49 AM

Dec 2010
This anime started really strong story-wise. It was interesting but halfway it diverted into self-insulting piece of crap. The only thing that improved was art.

Art 8/10 - it was refreshing to see something new. Too bad there was some mistakes and sometimes it looked as though the artist bungled their job. Yet, some scenes were made much more powerful due to this technique.

Music 9/10 - probably best part of this show. The main slow motive was really well made. If not for art and music(especially) this show would be atmosphere-less crap.

Characters 2/10 - some of the worst I`ve ever seen. Kasuga was a total pantsy horrid imbecile. His beahviour put to shame even Shinji Ikari. Total pushover and doormat.

Nakamura was disgustingly drawn - and that was the most adequate manner to present her. Your typical "psychotic-girl-that-hates-everyone and want-to-watch-the-world-burning". If you want to see a well written character of this type watch "Love Exposure" by Shion Sono.

Saeki - was not that bad, but dissapointing. I tought she was not that cliched halfway story but later she blands

Story 2/10 - oh so much drama he stole the gym clothes. First world problems. HURR DURR. That Kasuga faggot should burn the clothes and... who would believe Nakamura? She was hated by everyone in the class. OK he was a retard and that is part of presented world... But turn of events that resulted in HIM LIKING NAKAMURA. Unforgivable. inexplicable piece of rubbish

General rating 4+/10.
Jul 2, 2013 6:13 AM

Apr 2009
"GTFO"

Dafuq. Terrible pacing issues aside this adaptation totally botched the craziest parts of the manga's first long arc - what should have been the last and best (worst?) parts of the story's "Part One".

I gave it a chance, but the show squandered it on being pretentious with lots of empty scenes, recycled material and time-waster walks. Finally, this botched finale made my opinion of the adaptation to take a nosedive. So much for trying to be "original".

Special mention for Takao's seiyuu who did such a good job at making him sound so pathetic I couldn't stand him even more than his counterpart in the manga.
Jul 2, 2013 7:15 AM

Jun 2007
I assumed it was gonna end with Kasuga entering into a 'contract' with Nakamura, following the panty theft. NOPE! I'd say I couldn't believe it took Kasuga 5-minutes to open a door, look around an empty room and pull a book out of an open draw... but this is the worst paced 'anime' in the history of animation. It didn't surprise me at all that it then entered flashback mode--taking until the 10th minute for Nakamura to arrive.... before EVEN MORE flashbackery. Up to that point, ALL that saved the ep was the track from the classroom liberation (only time the show was actually artsy) playing. The chase was decent, and Nakamura's foul-mouthed ranting was once again voiced wonderfully... BUT NOTHING SODDING HAPPENED IN THIS EPISODE, LIKE THE REST OF THE SERIES! I've never had much problem with the rotoscoping, facelessness aside--it's ALWAYS been the 10-minute walking pointlessness, scenery shitfesting, etc. This could've been "artsy" AND covered the manga, but no: it was a time waster instead.

If there is a S2, I hope it makes Zexy go bankrupt. It probably won't since it no doubt cost peanuts to create but they deserve some suffering for failing to connect an idea with a decent execution. The best thing I can say about the series is that the S2/manga teaser got me pumped for the 6th volume of the manga with its Higurashi baseball bat/knife bits.
Jul 2, 2013 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
DmonHiro said:
Didn't the director say this episode was going to blow all your minds, that you've never seen anything like this?

If he did then he lied. I've seen a giant mech throw a galaxy like a shuriken. What else is there to anime?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 2, 2013 8:23 AM
Sep 2012
I think the two things I disliked the most were the slow pace and some of the animation/art/directing. I was cracking up throughout the walking episode and the classroom vandalism, I especially felt wierd cracking up at the latter one because it was supposed to be really disturbing. Geez, the Titans in Shingeki no Kyojin look unintentionally funny at times, but here there was something in almost every episode that made me laugh, where I shouldn't laugh. I did enjoy Nakamura's character with how twisted she was, she was fun to follow.

6/10 overall.
Jul 2, 2013 9:27 AM

Dec 2012
tearofmankind said:

Story 2/10 wat is symbolism
Jul 2, 2013 11:06 AM

Jan 2009
they only needed to adapt one more chapter for a better ending for S1 instead of all that recap and useless scenes in overall that they used...
Jul 2, 2013 1:38 PM

Sep 2012
Marathon'ed it, and now I'm not sure how I actually feel. I'll just rate it with 7/10 for now, maybe because I simply don't feel like it was enough.. Can't say that I satisfied with final episode much. All hopes are left for second season.
Jul 2, 2013 5:59 PM

Dec 2010
MoeGalacticHero said:
tearofmankind said:

They used Badeulaire for the same reason as Kasuga - just because it sound clever. Nothng from symbolism movement here. Try Alejandro Jodrowsky, David Lynch of even Sergei Parajanov`s Color Of Pomergranate(mentioned examples are movies).

But compared to other modern anime - yeah it has some symbolism but nowhere near ones like SEL, Texhnolyze or Evangelion. You can find symbolism in Pokemon(and I can guarantee that, made this once and found a lot of links to psychology, behaviorism and philosophy) - but that does not mean it was purposeful.

I saw you liked Badeulaire. Me too. I was intrigued that something from high art was incorporated into modern anime and was looking forward to actually see that Kasuga has some twisted personality, but they used Les Fleurs Du Mal just for sounding clever. Fuck, he can be reading every kind of book even Thwilight and it would made no difference in how story went.

EDIT: Saw you like Kago Shintaro, kudos for that.
tearofmankindJul 2, 2013 6:02 PM
Jul 2, 2013 11:23 PM

Dec 2012
tearofmankind said:
MoeGalacticHero said:
tearofmankind said:

They used Badeulaire for the same reason as Kasuga - just because it sound clever. Nothng from symbolism movement here. Try Alejandro Jodrowsky, David Lynch of even Sergei Parajanov`s Color Of Pomergranate(mentioned examples are movies).

But compared to other modern anime - yeah it has some symbolism but nowhere near ones like SEL, Texhnolyze or Evangelion. You can find symbolism in Pokemon(and I can guarantee that, made this once and found a lot of links to psychology, behaviorism and philosophy) - but that does not mean it was purposeful.

I saw you liked Badeulaire. Me too. I was intrigued that something from high art was incorporated into modern anime and was looking forward to actually see that Kasuga has some twisted personality, but they used Les Fleurs Du Mal just for sounding clever. Fuck, he can be reading every kind of book even Thwilight and it would made no difference in how story went.

EDIT: Saw you like Kago Shintaro, kudos for that.

I see what you mean. You're right that they could have used any book and that the title was just to sound clever, but I think that's the point, to some extent. Kasuga didn't actually understand what the book meant, he just talked about it and read it to feel superior and intelligent. Is that not exactly what you're talking about? Then doesn't the title make sense? There were also some thematic parallels and allusions that wouldn't have worked with any other book. Anyway, I was talking about the symbolism of the gym clothes rather than the symbolism in general. He didn't burn them because they were a symbol of his decadence. Even if he didn't touch them, he needed to know that they were there. Also it is a "first world problem" and that's the point. It's a boring small town and things like that are a huge deal. Kasuga doesn't have a difficult life, but to some extent, he seems to want to. He invents issues with the town and is his own worst enemy. He's a boring normal person with a boring normal life and he fights against that. You're right, he doesn't have a twisted personality, he just toys with the idea of being such a deviant, but is scared to become the real thing. In this way he's like a lot of teenagers, just on a different scale. His character intrigues me more than if he were just some kind of psychopath.
Jul 3, 2013 3:13 AM

Dec 2010
MoeGalacticHero said:
Blablabla

Yeah, you`ve got some points! Well, as far as I can tell, it seems that my expectations differ much from the outcome. Cant help this, but I really was fired up for something more psychologically, influenced by aforementioned symbolism and Badeulaire. Just a matter of anticiaptions.

Kasuga ended as one of the worst poser even created. But he was overwritten. I was was never a popular kid in school, but never behave anywhere like him(besides being shy to girls, but that`s just normal for pretty much every kid). Had some really unpopular kids, and AFAIR there are some hot tempered idiotic goons and some shy depresseed kids. Well maybe I am to old now to appraise the situation, but IMO he is really overdone - but maybe thats the key? Well it set me thinking.

You are right if he is one sicko deviant it would be less interesting.

All in all, There are a lot thing i liked: visual, music and some walking scenes were well made. And there was so amazing, truly beautiful, tear-jerking MASSIVE BUTTHURT at art of this anime. I LOVED IT.

And oh well, sometimes pacing was bad but nowhere as bad as SnK.
Jul 3, 2013 3:45 AM

Jul 2011
tearofmankind said:
MoeGalacticHero said:
Blablabla
All in all, There are a lot thing i liked: visual, music and some walking scenes were well made. And there was so amazing, truly beautiful, tear-jerking MASSIVE BUTTHURT at art of this anime. I LOVED IT.

+1
Jul 3, 2013 11:18 AM

Feb 2012
While I've read the manga which definitely helped me enjoy this episode more. I'm really hoping for a second, but if not there is still the manga. If you even somewhat enjoyed the anime I would 100% recommend the manga, such more fast paced it's awesome.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jul 5, 2013 6:59 AM

Mar 2009
so how bad of an adaption is this? somebody inbox me some spoilers as well please?
Mokyuu♥~!!

Jul 5, 2013 7:21 AM

Oct 2012
Hi lmaonade:

I have read ahead in the manga.

Now I have finished watching the anime series.

I think it was a really good adaptation. With their rotoscoped anime technique,
they had the artistic ability to do certain things. And of course anime has its
limitations since each episode is only 24 minutes long. Also, they are limited
because they have to keep costs under control. But, in the end, the anime
worked for me in terms of engaging me in the story.

The manga was also great. It was a very different telling of the same story.

If the anime made you fall in love with the story, then read the manga.

Fundamentally, it is a good story. Maybe we'll see a movie adaption at some
point.

Also, I could imagine it being a visual novel since there are lots of choices
that Kasuga has to make, each with major ramifications.
Jul 5, 2013 7:22 AM

Jul 2012
okanagan said:

Also, I could imagine it being a visual novel since there are lots of choices
that Kasuga has to make, each with major ramifications.

THIS!!!!!
IT WOULD BE EPIC!
Jul 5, 2013 7:34 AM

Oct 2012
but they used Les Fleurs Du Mal just for sounding clever.

Right. And indeed it was clever. I think it sounds very, very cool in
Japanese, and also it looks great when you write it in Japanese. Also, I think
it has a much more direct meaning in Japanese. If you say, "The Flowers of
Evil" in English or French then it could be taken in a number of ways.

When the book was first published in France in October 1845, the original
title was actually "Les Lesbiennes". It was withdrawn from publication, and
later they re-issued it under the more familiar title just after Baudelaire
come up with the new title in 1855.

Interestingly, the original French title has never, never been translated
into English, possibly because nobody could figure out how to translate it
properly. Somebody has some hangups.

If you look carefully, you can find that there is a standard way of
translating it into Japanese. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
It has to do with women who live on a real-life island in Greece called
Lesbos. It is 「レスボスの女たち」. ("Women of Lesbos")

Anyways, I think it was really smart to build the whole concept of the story
around that fairly obscure book by that fairly obscure author. The scene
of Kasuga slowly walking through that field filled with flowers of evil was
unforgettable for me. That was one of the few places were they didn't
skimp on the animation quality.

My info sources:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Fleurs_du_mal
http://poesie.hix05.com/Baudelaire/100les-fleurs-du-mal.html
okanaganJul 5, 2013 7:42 AM
Jul 5, 2013 5:03 PM

Oct 2009
Confused. This better gets a second season.
Jul 6, 2013 10:28 AM
May 2012
Overall, a decent series. I'm guessing the ending was just a collage of what would be in the second half of the manga(?). I guess I'll read the manga eventually.

People recommended this if I liked Goodnight punpun but it's no where near as good at that. So I was kinda disappointed because of that.
Jul 6, 2013 2:23 PM
Aug 2011
Ryo_Suzuki said:
Overall, a decent series. I'm guessing the ending was just a collage of what would be in the second half of the manga(?). I guess I'll read the manga eventually.

People recommended this if I liked Goodnight punpun but it's no where near as good at that. So I was kinda disappointed because of that.

The manga really is good. Give it a try. Also it doesn't drag chapters like it did in some episodes. :-)
Jul 8, 2013 11:31 AM

Oct 2010
Kiku-chan said:
I for one loved this episode.
Araby said:
That was beautiful. I can definitely understand how the ending feels like a preview, but it also makes a powerful ending statement. Something like, "look at this shit. Everything just shit spirals into shit, forever. It only gets worse and there will never be a happy ending, ever." It depresses me, in a good way.
lordVOMITface said:
patiently awaiting a part 2.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Jul 9, 2013 10:14 PM

Mar 2010
SO FUCKING PUMPED!!!!!!!!*A*♥♥

Jul 10, 2013 2:05 AM

Apr 2012
Gosh darn. I really loved the series from an overall standpoint if only because it managed to thoroughly creep me out and make me uncomfortable in a way no other show has, but that bombardment of stuff from the manga...jeez overkill. I can understand why they would do it though. I doubt that this show would be popular enough for a second season (as much as I want there to be one). I almost think that at this point they just wanted to promote the manga for those who haven't already read it since there's not really a chance of a second season and, if this was their goal, they hit there mark. I feel more than obligated to read the manga now but, even so, I would have preferred that they had given the show a proper conclusion even if it didn't follow the manga.
I want this show to get a second season but everything that makes Aku no Hana, Aku no Hana just doesn't appeal to a larger audience. I can see this having a cult following but not a large enough one as to illicit a second season, hopefully by some miracle I'm wrong though because I'm really curious about all the stuff they alluded to with that crazy barrage of incoherent nonsense.
Jul 10, 2013 4:06 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
This show, what can I say...? I liked it.
They definitely need to make the second season. Going by the scenes they showed, it's looks pretty damn good.
BatoKusanagiJul 10, 2013 4:11 AM
Jul 12, 2013 2:42 AM
Jul 2012
Amarrez said:
So they just showed a bunch of shit they didn't adapt from the manga in the last part, and call that an ending?

Utter rubbish. I did like seeing the panty dungeon though.

That all was from the manga and should be our part 2 but I agree it was bs to show that and call it an ending
Jul 12, 2013 10:31 PM

Nov 2012
x5thStProdigyx said:
Amarrez said:
So they just showed a bunch of shit they didn't adapt from the manga in the last part, and call that an ending?

Utter rubbish. I did like seeing the panty dungeon though.

That all was from the manga and should be our part 2 but I agree it was bs to show that and call it an ending

While I do think that a second season is possibly already planned due it only saying that it was the end of act 1, the way I saw the collage of future events being shown was I think their way to make it look like what will happen if the new contract is made and deviance amongst these two spreads further. If not for that end of act 1 thing at the end, i'd say that collage made would have made it clear that that was the ending and what would happen to the town as a result of it under my interpretation of it.
Jul 15, 2013 11:20 AM

Oct 2009
That...
I can't...
belive...
that was horrible... like the worst ending episode ever!
1/3 of it just a freaking slideshow
2/3 of it is a bloody recap
3/3 of it is a preview of the next season? Why you even do that?
My god, I can't even write something logical here... that was so bad... so bad...
Jul 17, 2013 10:34 AM
Nov 2010
An okay anime didnt really blow me away in any way, i thought the pacing was really slow at times to the point the plot didnt seem to progress at all. The animation was the most positive thing for me because how the draw style differentiate itself from the common anime style which is always a fresh of air for me.
ParasoloJul 18, 2013 6:20 AM
Jul 18, 2013 1:55 PM

Mar 2013
A weird last episode, but honestly, was there another way to end it? All in all, it was a good anime. It had some awesome scenes (episode 7), but also had issues. I'll give it a 7.

If there's a second season I'll definitely watch it.
Jul 19, 2013 5:58 AM

Jul 2011
Finally got around to finishing this series. What a great show! Classroom-destroying episode is a masterpiece and opening/ending music is now one of my all time favorites. 10/10 That's a shame it's not continuing, cause it would still easily be the best show going on.
OrangeHollow.png
Jul 19, 2013 12:53 PM

Mar 2013
Hmm... I might want to read the manga ever.
Jul 21, 2013 9:30 AM

Jan 2013
This gets an 8/10 Overall from me.

Despite the rotoscoping (which I got used to around episode 3), I enjoyed this anime. The whole atmosphere was great and the music very much added to the long walk scenes and really built up tension. The story was different and interesting and if nothing else it has made me want to go ahead and read the manga.
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
Jul 24, 2013 9:17 AM

Nov 2012
I gave this show an 8 out of 10..
There better be a second season.
(But with less long walking scenes please)
Jul 29, 2013 6:32 PM

May 2012
Part1 End! Well that sure explains why the story ended with so much questions! Either way I did actually liked the whole story up until now and I wouldn't mind seeing the sequel of this story! A pretty good anime in general why I had my doubts in the beginning it sure made up for it in the end!
Aug 1, 2013 9:08 PM
Aug 2013
Watched the anime and read the manga. This has got to be one of the most pathetic stories I have ever seen.

I take that back as that's a bit harsh.

This has got to be most pathetic main chars I have ever seen. Even surpassing Shu from Guilty Crown.

He had numerous opportunities to tell Saeki about the whole thing in the beginning but he gets scared and doesn't do it. His moments of courage suddenly dissipates for the sole purpose of perpetuating the story.

I understand that they are teenagers and teenagers do go through some of the things touched on in this series. However, this was way over the top and when I finally thought he would develop a spine and stand up for himself, he develops Stockholm Syndrome. After that, he becomes indoctrinated. It's like the author is doing everything possible for you to not like the main character.

Namakura showed no signs of liking him. This wasn't tough love, tsundere, or anything like that. Her childhood damaged her mentally and she was simply displacing all that pent up hate on Takao. Takao wasn't reading between the lines when he started to fall for her, he was developing full fledged Stockholm Syndrome.

After what occurred on the hill, they should have all been forced to go to the school's counselor for a month or two. They all need serious mental help. Saeki needs it the least but better safe than sorry.

The animation ranged from amazing to absolute trash. It was usually leaning more towards the trashy side. The art style was a problem for me early on but it later became obvious that it fit the show perfectly. I don't think a more "traditional" style of art would have done the series justice.

One thing the show did well was tension. No matter how unbearable the main char was and how horrible the pacing was, I always wanted to know what will happen next. This can also be attributed to the horrible pacing, but I'm trying to be positive here. lol

Another thing, I liked that the anime made them look like they were in high school unlike how the manga makes them look like they're in middle school(Yes, I know middle school is the real setting). The seriousness that the story tries to portray just can't be taken serious from the eyes of a middle schooler imo. Middle schoolers are bad but they aren't that bad, neither are they as intellectual as they are sometimes portrayed in the story. If you continue reading the manga, you'll see that it gets even more ridiculous.

Overall, I give the anime a 5/10. The manga gets a 3/10. This is a story that most people will either hate or love. Personally, I think it's objectively mediocre at best, but I'm not the type to force my opinion on another. I just can't bring myself to like a story whose premise is the main char being a spineless coward and developing Stockholm Syndrome towards the mentally damaged girl that tormented him. The author clearly has talent but it seems like he is doing everything possible for you to hate the story. It's a shame, the story was off to a great start and could have been much more.

Also, I felt so sorry for Saeki. Poor girl. She didn't deserve to go through all of that and she tried so hard to make it work. Everything she went through with Takao was just gut-wrenching. ;(

Another Edit: Everyone hated Namakura. If she told the truth that Takao stole the gym clothes, he could just say she was lying. Everyone would believe him over her no questions asked. Even a middle schooler could come up with that logic. This is further reinforced when they were quick to blame the lunch money stealing on Namakura even though they had no evidence she did it. It's bad writing like this that makes me dislike the story, despite some of the things that it did do well.
AgardoAug 1, 2013 9:45 PM
Aug 2, 2013 8:03 AM

Jul 2012
Agardo said:
Watched the anime and read the manga. This has got to be one of the most pathetic stories I have ever seen.

I take that back as that's a bit harsh.

This has got to be most pathetic main chars I have ever seen. Even surpassing Shu from Guilty Crown.

He had numerous opportunities to tell Saeki about the whole thing in the beginning but he gets scared and doesn't do it. His moments of courage suddenly dissipates for the sole purpose of perpetuating the story.

I understand that they are teenagers and teenagers do go through some of the things touched on in this series. However, this was way over the top and when I finally thought he would develop a spine and stand up for himself, he develops Stockholm Syndrome. After that, he becomes indoctrinated. It's like the author is doing everything possible for you to not like the main character.

Namakura showed no signs of liking him. This wasn't tough love, tsundere, or anything like that. Her childhood damaged her mentally and she was simply displacing all that pent up hate on Takao. Takao wasn't reading between the lines when he started to fall for her, he was developing full fledged Stockholm Syndrome.

After what occurred on the hill, they should have all been forced to go to the school's counselor for a month or two. They all need serious mental help. Saeki needs it the least but better safe than sorry.

The animation ranged from amazing to absolute trash. It was usually leaning more towards the trashy side. The art style was a problem for me early on but it later became obvious that it fit the show perfectly. I don't think a more "traditional" style of art would have done the series justice.

One thing the show did well was tension. No matter how unbearable the main char was and how horrible the pacing was, I always wanted to know what will happen next. This can also be attributed to the horrible pacing, but I'm trying to be positive here. lol

Another thing, I liked that the anime made them look like they were in high school unlike how the manga makes them look like they're in middle school(Yes, I know middle school is the real setting). The seriousness that the story tries to portray just can't be taken serious from the eyes of a middle schooler imo. Middle schoolers are bad but they aren't that bad, neither are they as intellectual as they are sometimes portrayed in the story. If you continue reading the manga, you'll see that it gets even more ridiculous.

Overall, I give the anime a 5/10. The manga gets a 3/10. This is a story that most people will either hate or love. Personally, I think it's objectively mediocre at best, but I'm not the type to force my opinion on another. I just can't bring myself to like a story whose premise is the main char being a spineless coward and developing Stockholm Syndrome towards the mentally damaged girl that tormented him. The author clearly has talent but it seems like he is doing everything possible for you to hate the story. It's a shame, the story was off to a great start and could have been much more.

Also, I felt so sorry for Saeki. Poor girl. She didn't deserve to go through all of that and she tried so hard to make it work. Everything she went through with Takao was just gut-wrenching. ;(

Another Edit: Everyone hated Namakura. If she told the truth that Takao stole the gym clothes, he could just say she was lying. Everyone would believe him over her no questions asked. Even a middle schooler could come up with that logic. This is further reinforced when they were quick to blame the lunch money stealing on Namakura even though they had no evidence she did it. It's bad writing like this that makes me dislike the story, despite some of the things that it did do well.

yeah yeah
You just forgot that this is a psychological anime, with the basis of the actual japanese high schoolers actitudes.
They would do exactly the same thing you just called stupid, because that's how 90% of them are (a lot of researchs said that this type of atitude is like a paranoia in the entire japanese social community), it's not like this is bad writing, it's realistic.
Don't say shit about what you are unaware of.
This anime is like the perfect representation of the actual japanese high schoolar community in the same lines of the incredible book named "Le fleur du Mal".
All you just said is completely bullshit "bad written" (it's just obvious that you take all your arguments from some other hater comments in this latest threads about it, and this is more than certain, because you created another account to make this stupid hate comment fearing some replies in your name later)
So, don't be a dick and shut up while trying to talk about something you have no idea of ​​the complexity.
END
Aug 2, 2013 9:44 AM
Aug 2013
Danpmss said:

yeah yeah
You just forgot that this is a psychological anime, with the basis of the actual japanese high schoolers actitudes.
They would do exactly the same thing you just called stupid, because that's how 90% of them are (a lot of researchs said that this type of atitude is like a paranoia in the entire japanese social community), it's not like this is bad writing, it's realistic.
This anime is like the perfect representation of the actual japanese high schoolar community in the same lines of the incredible book named "Le fleur du Mal".
All you just said is completely bullshit "bad written" (it's just obvious that you take all your arguments from some other hater comments in this latest threads about it, and this is more than certain, because you created another account to make this stupid hate comment fearing some replies in your name later)
So, don't be a dick and shut up while trying to talk about something you have no idea of ​​the complexity.
END

The show isn't nearly as complex as you believe it to be. It wants to be complex but there is so much bad writing in the mix that the majority of it comes off as unbelievable. The only way I could view this story as complex is if I was a wannabe intellectual and completely oblivious to the plot's shortcomings that impede upon any type of meaningful connection that the story attempts to make. If you can easily look the pass the flaws, I can understand how the show could give off a feeling of complexity.

And last time I checked, the setting was middle school, not high school. I don't care if the author thought it would be cool to extrapolate some of the thought patterns into middle schoolers. The setting is middle school so I expect them to act like middle schoolers. Hell, the behavior is also inconsistent with typical behavior of a high school student. You're an absolute idiot if you believe this type of thing happens regularly to this level of extreme in middle school or even high school for that matter.

Also, I'm currently studying for a degree in Psychology and the main character is clearly suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. Sorry, but that's the truth.

So, just because I have an opinion you disagree with, I obviously must be a hater who made an account for the sole purpose to hate on an anime/manga that most people don't even care about. Nice logic.

A friend told me this show was amazing and complex. I watched it and thought it was bad and decided to make an account to post why I thought it was bad. Sorry if that pisses you off. I also won't be replying to anymore of your posts as you seem to think that anyone who doesn't like the show is a "hater" and incapable of understanding the "complexity" of the story you're so infatuated with.

Like I said, this is a story that most people with likely either love or hate. Deal with it.
AgardoAug 2, 2013 9:59 AM
Aug 2, 2013 4:14 PM

Jan 2008
Agardo, people shouldn't NEED a degree to figure our that he's got a bad case of SS.
And man... he's got it BAD. But for no actual understandable reason.
Doesn't help that he's dumb as a brik.
Aug 3, 2013 3:17 AM

Dec 2012
Ryo_Suzuki said:
That's a bit unfair. Very few things are as good as Oyasumi Punpun. Now that's a manga that needs a good anime....
Aug 3, 2013 5:16 AM

Jul 2012
Agardo said:
Danpmss said:

yeah yeah
END

The show isn't nearly as complex as you believe it to be. It wants to be complex but there is so much bad writing in the mix that the majority of it comes off as unbelievable. The only way I could view this story as complex is if I was a wannabe intellectual and completely oblivious to the plot's shortcomings that impede upon any type of meaningful connection that the story attempts to make. If you can easily look the pass the flaws, I can understand how the show could give off a feeling of complexity.

And last time I checked, the setting was middle school, not high school. I don't care if the author thought it would be cool to extrapolate some of the thought patterns into middle schoolers. The setting is middle school so I expect them to act like middle schoolers. Hell, the behavior is also inconsistent with typical behavior of a high school student. You're an absolute idiot if you believe this type of thing happens regularly to this level of extreme in middle school or even high school for that matter.

Also, I'm currently studying for a degree in Psychology and the main character is clearly suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. Sorry, but that's the truth.

So, just because I have an opinion you disagree with, I obviously must be a hater who made an account for the sole purpose to hate on an anime/manga that most people don't even care about. Nice logic.

A friend told me this show was amazing and complex. I watched it and thought it was bad and decided to make an account to post why I thought it was bad. Sorry if that pisses you off. I also won't be replying to anymore of your posts as you seem to think that anyone who doesn't like the show is a "hater" and incapable of understanding the "complexity" of the story you're so infatuated with.

Like I said, this is a story that most people with likely either love or hate. Deal with it.

You are not the only one studing Psychology, you know?
About the High-Middle School concept thing, it was my mistake here, my bad for that. But that doesn't even change the actual truth:
Japanese people react just like that in this cases, i can said it because i SAW it (Stayed in Japan for about 2 years, in the middle school)
Don't try to be all smart and stuff, it IS the truth (and yes, the protagonist is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, but that's another factor from another situation that have nothing to do with the japanese "close yourself" complex.)
The main character suffer the two of them, and that's my point.
Secondly, this IS complex as hell, i recently read "Le fleurs du mal" in French (the dictionary helped me a lot, but some parts had some kind of an old french stuff with descryptions in the book, it was terrible), and i can say that Aku no Hana is like a perfect representation of all that anarchist world of Baudelaire in just one convinient place: An anime with ugly rotoscoped characters living in a country rich in tabu culture and antisocial people.
Kasuga is like the represantation of Baudelaire's fanatic, Rimbaud, and is trying to see the world just like his "Master".
The problem is, the terrible and sadistic writing of Baudelaire influenced him to do the very same thing that happened in the book: Steal female clothes when appears the opportunity, even if unconsciously(it really was? We will never know...).
Anyways, all the plot in Aku no Hana is some kind of representation of the evil that lies in Baudelaire's head, with cleary atmospheric moments of reflection (normally, after the terrible acts of certain two characters)
It's not like you said, so, as i said, read the book and deal with it.
Aug 10, 2013 3:27 AM

Jan 2011
OK, the montage of scenes from the manga at the end was a cheap cop-out from actually producing an acceptable season end. That is the main reason I'm lowering my rating to an 8 rather than thinking about raising it to a 10. I actually think the recap where they focused on his interactions with Nakamura really showed how he might have developed feelings for her. Calling it Stockholm Syndrome is a little too easy and Kasuga is no Patty Hearst. He hasn't been subject to Nakamura's contract for over a month, and he still loathes the town and most of the people in it. He really was a poseur in reading Beaudelaire, not a true Decadent. Nakamura liberated the feelings that he was flirting with and gave him an opportunity to break free of the town and his boring life.

I'd watch a second season. If it doesn't happen, I may even read the manga--largely because of Nakamura. Yes, there were some problems with pacing and the rotoscoping was a little unsettling until one got used to it--but over all the show more than made up for those minor shortcomings.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 13, 2013 12:11 PM

Sep 2012
End Of Part1 ????? maybe it has season 2
Aug 18, 2013 11:36 PM

Aug 2013
I absolutely loved this series. I'm kinda new to anime. My nephew kept begging me to watch various anime but I usually couldn't get past the first few episodes. As a joke, he told me to check out Aku No Hana and to his surprise, I loved it. I've always liked the "dark side" of things. Music, movies, books, etc.

However, this last episode was a let down for me. I hadn't read the manga so I didn't know what to expect. When Kasuga saw Nakamura's room, I thought, "Awesome... We'll finally get some insight into why she hates everything including herself." I thought for sure it was going to have something to do with her mother. I was hoping for something even darker like some kind of abuse or ???. Well, her "diary" turned out to be a cheap composition book with all of about 5 pages of writing that covered maybe a couple of weeks. The writing basically recapped what had happened. It didn't provide any clues as to what's going on in Nakamura's head. I really wasn't sure why Kasuga started crying while reading it.

I had never read a manga before but I decided to make Aku No Hana my first. The story didn't really go where I thought it was going. I thought it was going to be Kasuga helping Nakamura overcome some terrible past. Instead it was...

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Yesterday, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.