Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jun 28, 2013 7:56 PM
Hey guys. I hope this is the right topic, since I'm new, but I'm wondering how do you guys get over that sad feeling when you complete an anime, especially if it was really good. Do many of you get that feeling?

Like when I finished Higurashi, one of my favourites (though this was a long time ago), I had to stop watching anime for a while since I felt really bad that it was all over. Even if the show has a happy ending, I still feel really depressed that the show is all finished, like saying goodbye to really good friends (likely for forever).

So yeah, how do you guys cope with it: any tricks like watching a different show, rewatching something, taking a break, or do you guys not get it? Thanks.
Modified by vaehl, Jun 28, 2013 8:01 PM

Jun 28, 2013 7:57 PM

Well this season just ended so I'm sure a lot of people are feeling that for some shows right now, but guess what? That just means a whole new bunch of shows next this/next week.

Jun 28, 2013 8:00 PM

If I liked the anime that much I go with the manga.
After a while I re-watch. But of course in the process I'm moving on to new titles.
Or just take a break until you're in the mood.

Jun 28, 2013 8:04 PM
That's a good suggestion, reading the manga. I've contemplated it at times, however now I don't know which one to begin with since many are on-going. As well, I'm kind of the person that really cannot rewatch something - the fact that I know how things are going to work out just utterly ruins the rewatch value of anything. That also hinders me reading the manga because it's quite often where the anime doesn't stay true to the manga and I'd hafta restart.

Thanks, though, I think I may expand from pure anime viewing to reading manga as well.

Jun 28, 2013 8:08 PM

I feel like I want to finish what I start.
When I finish an anime, I feel like I accomplish something, in a way.
I don't mind a good, long series, but I do like to finish things.
Finish.
Fini.
Fin.
Stop touching my fin, faggot.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto

Jun 28, 2013 8:08 PM

Oh boy I totally recommend you the Higurashi mangas.
It's basically the same story but more detailed in certain aspects. Totally worth the reading. I'm also a big fan of the Higurashi franchise.
The only issue is that the translation groups have been a little inactive.

Jun 28, 2013 8:12 PM
The Beginning

Watch more anime.

Its a win win situation. If you watch another good anime, then that will help you get over the previous good one you just completed. BUT, if you watch a bad anime then... you will also forget about the previous good anime you just completed because it was so bad your mind exploded.

Jun 28, 2013 8:14 PM

one anime ends and another one starts, life goes on

Jun 28, 2013 8:18 PM

OriginANIME said:
BUT, if you watch a bad anime then... you will also forget about the previous good anime you just completed because it was so bad your mind exploded.

Mars of Destruction can help with Post-Anime Depression Syndrome.

It can save lives.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto

Jun 28, 2013 8:19 PM

I have this same problem. Usually I try and savor my anime over a long period of time and then sulk for several days. Barring that, shotgun it as quick as possible and sulk for several weeks.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!

Jun 28, 2013 8:22 PM

Happening to me right now with Gantz i just finished it

Jun 28, 2013 8:22 PM
That Lazy Guy

Do any of these things:

1. Watch/read something else. Books, movies, TV shows, manga.
2. Do something else. Video games, card games, games. More games. Cook. Knit. Collect bugs. Write a story. Talk on MAL. (Learn how to drive, cook, get a girlfriend.)
3. Exercise.
4. Work.
5. Hang out with friends and do some or all of the above.

The basic message is. We get over these. It's not even something that really makes us upset. It just makes a temporary lapse of feeling sentimental. When in doubt, do things you normally do not do or haven't done somethings you liked to do for a while. Life gets boring no matter how you look at it if you keep doing the samethings over and over again. Switch it around. And move on.

And no man, this is not similar to saying goodbye to a good friend. Those feelings tend to hurt more. Waaaaay more.

Jun 28, 2013 8:23 PM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Paul said:
Well this season just ended so I'm sure a lot of people are feeling that for some shows right now, but guess what? That just means a whole new bunch of shows next this/next week.

This. There's always another great show, whether it be a we currently airing, or something that's finished airing you haven't seem yet, waiting just around the corner.

Jun 28, 2013 8:24 PM

Basically, just never stop watching, move on from one to the next and the post-anime depression will never get its chance to hit you. Keep moving on and don't look back.

Jun 28, 2013 8:27 PM

This is a big reason I like to write reviews. If a show is really great, it can be hard to say goodbye as if nothing ever happened. It's nice to memorialize your feelings and say how much you enjoyed a show and why. And of course, there are thousands of anime and after awhile you can always rewatch your favorites!

Jun 28, 2013 8:46 PM

Interesting, I honestly didn't think that it was common for people not to want their shows to end! Yeah, I totally know what you mean. As anime4694 said, it can be really nice to go back and revisit what you loved about the anime by writing a review for it. I feel that writing a review makes me feel like there's some sort of note of finality, or even the last nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I guess the only real workaround to being all depressed when a good anime is over is to have your next anime ready to watch, or to only watch anime that are REALLY long and have hundreds of episodes. :P

Jun 28, 2013 8:50 PM
I get this feeling after every anime. First it started with Gurren Lagann, I was depressed after it finished, then I went to Naruto I believe, after catching up I was depressed. After a little while I said to myself "Wait a minute, I just finished / caught up to one great anime, but even so, there are other anime out there that are better, and many more characters to get attached to. So many new episodes are released daily, I'll never run out of anime to watch, and some of them will be better than the show I watched previously"

Jun 28, 2013 9:08 PM

Whenever I watch an anime I watch everything to it (movies, Ova's), I'm gonna start reading manga too cause usually there's a lot more in them. But to get over it I'd say watch an anime that is similar. It happens to me all the time and I hate it. It feels like a little piece of me is gone lol.

Jun 28, 2013 9:13 PM

I used to....but not anymore.

Mostly because as time goes by and you watch so much anime, you get desensitized.

Jun 28, 2013 9:29 PM

Man kids can't handle their emotions in this community.. this is like the 3rd thread with the same topic by a different user in a week.

No I don't. I might think about this anime after I finished it but if I miss it so bad I'll just re-watch it. Clannad AS had me pondering in my rooms for a few minutes/less than an hour and then I turned the page and started a new anime.

Jun 28, 2013 9:29 PM

The only depression I get is the fact that I don't have anyone to discuss the anime's ending with in real life.

Jun 28, 2013 10:13 PM
No Common Sense

I just move on to the next show.

Jun 28, 2013 10:15 PM

Its only natural to feel somber when something good ended whether its an anime show or something. I did feel sad when GetBackers and Fairy Tail ended their runs. I just watch the reruns to cope with the depression. Then finding more great anime to watch is also a way of fighting that depression. Right now I'm watching Death Note which is fricking awesome.

Jun 28, 2013 10:16 PM

KawanoMino said:
The only depression I get is the fact that I don't have anyone to discuss the anime's ending with in real life.

This too :\

Jun 28, 2013 10:47 PM
KawanoMino said:

Yep. Especially annoying when it's my friend you're talking to, who can't finish an anime that has more than 24 episodes. Nothing to talk about to him.

Jun 28, 2013 10:58 PM

You fantasise a knew plot for it! and day dream all day!

Jun 28, 2013 10:58 PM

Every time. Even if I hate the show.
Nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme does it state that Humpty is an egg.
"See you later, space cowboy." -moot 1/23/2015

Jun 29, 2013 12:12 AM

Watch a different show.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 29, 2013 12:54 AM

Watch Gintama...especially the stand alone episodes...would get you outta that.

Jun 29, 2013 1:11 AM

Sourire said:
Man kids can't handle their emotions in this community.. this is like the 3rd thread with the same topic by a different user in a week.

No I don't. I might think about this anime after I finished it but if I miss it so bad I'll just re-watch it. Clannad AS had me pondering in my rooms for a few minutes/less than an hour and then I turned the page and started a new anime.

LOL. So true.

Jun 29, 2013 1:16 AM

I feel you Op...

Most of the people here have a much more... Expendable mindset on Anime though.
They just don't know that feel, sad as it is.

I say this Way too much, but Season Fags will be Season Fags.

Jun 29, 2013 1:26 AM

Post-Anime Depression.... it happens to most of us after relating to characters from a certain series and then ending up getting attached to its story. It may have been said numerous times in this thread, but you can always move on to another series, preferrably with the same genre as the one you've just finished. Reading the light novels or manga adaptations are also alternatives, especially if the anime only covers a part of the whole story.

But if you're just so attached to a certain show and you really wish you could explore more about it, you can always resort to reading well-written fanfics all over the internet. Eventually, you'll get over that depression. It's just a cycle that needs to get used to.

Jun 29, 2013 1:28 AM

This happened to me big time with Yu Yu Hakusho

Jun 29, 2013 3:48 AM

Yep, this hits me every now and then, it's not exactly earth-shattering but it's definitely not a pleasant feeling. There are a number of ways to deal with it. If I really liked the show I will usually browse the threads for that series in these forums just to see what others thought of it and maybe to leave my two cents at the thread for the last episode, or maybe write a review if I'm feeling up to it. I check out the original source material, i.e. the manga/novel/visual novel/game/whatever it was that first spawned that story, to see what else happened that wasn't included in the anime adaptation. One of the best ways I cope with this is to read and occasionally write fan fiction for this series, and to browse AMVs, artworks, and whatever else related to the series that's been produced by its fans. It makes me feel less lonely knowing there are other people out there who also love this show and care enough about it to give it a legacy through their fan works.

As other people have said, it's always a good idea to move on and try something new. There is a huge selection of anime out there for the taking (or rather watching), and it's not productive to sit around and mope for too long about one show ending. Or you could always take a break from anime altogether and try a different hobby, get out in the real world for a while and talk to real people, and so on and so forth. It shouldn't be too hard at all to keep yourself busy until the next brilliant thing comes along.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 29, 2013 4:05 AM

I've had it twice now and it's not fun, after each time I would attempt to watch other anime from my ptw which I couldn't sit through and I actually felt irritated watching. The first time I could read the manga which fixed it but the second there wasn't one but the Sayonara sequels somehow made me forget all about it, but seriously that isn't a good feel and don't appreciate it one bit.
it's all in your head

Jul 1, 2013 2:01 AM

i hate this feeling... the first thing that gets into my mind is to find an anime similar to it but with a better ending... and usually never end up finding what i was looking for.
the one that hit me the most was pandora hearts. i was looking forward to a second season given that it left of on a possible cliff hanger and ofcourse there wasnt a 2nd season.

Jul 1, 2013 6:21 AM

I do get this, but I deal with it by watching a similar show. For example, after I finished Toradora, I wanted something fairly similar and I ended up watching Zero no Tsukaima. The relationship between the male protagonist and female protagonist is somewhat similar and the female protagonist has the same VA.

I also like thinking there will be more in the future. If there clearly won't be another season, I just get something else. For example, another thing I did after I finished Toradora, was buying the visual novel version of it. And obviously if there is hope for another season, I just wait for that. And if there's absolutely nothing else to get, I will just simply decide that I will rewatch it at some point. And maybe watch the first episode so my mind will be set to that point instead of the ending.

Jul 11, 2013 5:47 AM
TheCyclon said:
I do get this, but I deal with it by watching a similar show. For example, after I finished Toradora, I wanted something fairly similar and I ended up watching Zero no Tsukaima. The relationship between the male protagonist and female protagonist is somewhat similar and the female protagonist has the same VA.

I also like thinking there will be more in the future. If there clearly won't be another season, I just get something else. For example, another thing I did after I finished Toradora, was buying the visual novel version of it. And obviously if there is hope for another season, I just wait for that. And if there's absolutely nothing else to get, I will just simply decide that I will rewatch it at some point. And maybe watch the first episode so my mind will be set to that point instead of the ending.
what if in the future , the show might not be popular any more and no one reupload it and you won't be able to rewatch them anymore , then what do you do ?

Jul 11, 2013 7:40 AM

I don't have the time to get depressed. My homework's enough to distract me.
Forever lost.

Jul 11, 2013 7:47 AM

When I finish an anime, I just go find another anime that is similar...even if it had a good ending that is, if it was a bad anime I just look for anything to watch. But yer, normally I wish there was more,hence I look for similar animes to watch.

Jul 11, 2013 2:32 PM

I don't have to deal with it, because I don't get it. I usually feel good when I finish something. A nice sense of accomplishment.
"If we just take a step back, a bigger picture we might view.
Perhaps the man in the gutter is not so different from you"
-Disparity by Design -Rise Against

Jul 11, 2013 4:14 PM
MODS BEGONE

i felt like that when I finished both seasons of Spice and Wolf and realized they probably will never make a season 3 D: ........

yea get over it :|

Jul 11, 2013 5:31 PM
After I saw my favorite show Gurren Lagann for the first time it was so good that I didn't watch another anime for 3 years. Normally I take a break after watching a good show. I don't take EXTREME breaks like that anymore but like 1 week breaks.

Jul 11, 2013 8:18 PM

Happens to me ALL the fucking time. And for me it goes as long as several weeks (if it's an anime I just fell in love with) and it makes me feel so pissed lol.
I get this sort of empty feeling like you're missing out on something and that uncomfortable feeling when you feel like you've left something unfinished.

So I can sympathize with you, well most of the MAL community can.

Jul 11, 2013 8:19 PM

I took advice from another user and jumped into a completely different genre.

I felt post-anime depression after finishing OHSHC (shoujo/comedy, right?). Someone suggested I try a different genre so I decided to watch Another (horror, mystery, not a speck of romance). It got me out of that post-anime depression.
You do not wish to destroy others,
you simply wish to destroy yourself.

Jul 22, 2013 2:03 AM
Kuroshitsuji

I really cried at the end of season 1. I don't know why but I get this profound feeling, so melancholic I just want to go inside the TV and hug Ciel and Sebastian...

I also get sad whenever I'm listening to Anata No Koe Ga Iroaseyou Tomo by Daisuke Ono. It reminds me of all the pain Ciel felt... :(

[img]

Jul 22, 2013 2:08 AM

It's kind of dangerous how easily people get influenced by anime. Control your damn feelings.

Jul 22, 2013 2:23 AM

It can also help if you are bored with life.

It's kind of dangerous how easily people get influenced by anime. Control your damn feelings.

If anime (or movie/games/whatever) does not influnce your emotion in any way you must be a real sad person. I kind of pity you.

I've had such feelings a couple of times. Worst thing was when I finished a series (a good one of course) just before heading to bed. Then I would think about it as I felt asleep. Otherwise watching another series right after the precious was over is a pretty decent way to help alleviate the feeling. It won't be totally gone though. And at times I would just sit and think over some older series (sometimes with an added amv for increased effect) but that's just gonna make you sulk so it's better to avoid if you don't want to feel depressed.

i felt like that when I finished both seasons of Spice and Wolf and realized they probably will never make a season 3 D: ........

yea get over it :|

I though there was never gonna be second after the first and yet it happened. Do not lose hope my friend!
Modified by Werchiel, Jul 22, 2013 2:28 AM

Jul 22, 2013 2:25 AM
drink beer to deal with it

Jul 22, 2013 2:28 AM

Werchiel said:

It can also help if you are bored with life.

If anime (or movie/games/whatever) does not influnce your emotion in any way you must be a real sad person. I kind of pity you.

I've had such feelings a couple of times. Worst thing was when I finished a series (a good one of course) just before heading to bed. Then I would think about it as I felt asleep. Otherwise watching another series right after the precious was over is a pretty decent way to help alleviate the feeling. It won't be totally gone though. And at times I would just sit and think over some older series (sometimes with an added amv for increased effect) but that's just gonna make you sulk so it's better to avoid if you don't want to feel depressed.

Such feelings? OP is fucking talking about a DEPRESSION. A SYNDROME. Does it not sound fucking serious to you? You might as well end your life right now if you get depressed that easily. I wonder how OP is going to cope with death if he can't even handle anime.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »