Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 29, 2013 3:20 PM

Oct 2012
the clones are wayyy to awesome :(
sigh
Jun 29, 2013 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
CallMeIshmael said:
MoonageDaydream said:

I'm confused about why Touma is calling Misaka Biribiri.

It's the Japanese sound effect for electricity's sparkling/crackling.
I'm well aware.
Jun 29, 2013 8:10 PM

Sep 2011
MoonageDaydream said:
CallMeIshmael said:
MoonageDaydream said:

I'm well aware.

Then you shouldn't be confused...
Jun 29, 2013 10:17 PM

Oct 2012
Still I think 10032's laugh in index is better than this :)
But I loved this one too

The one that's with Touma is Misaka 10032 right?
Hmm in index there's only one Misaka, in Railgun S.. why there are 2 of Misaka's clone?

Mod Edit: Removed spoilers.
LunaJul 2, 2013 6:19 AM
"Signature removed"
Jun 29, 2013 10:39 PM

Sep 2011
Ray_Light said:
Still I think 10032's laugh in index is better than this :)
But I loved this one too

The one that's with Touma is Misaka 10032 right?
Hmm in index there's only one Misaka, in Railgun S.. why there are 2 of Misaka's clone?

I like how the clones no longer have those terrible eyes

I can actually mistake the clones for the original now.

Mod Edit: Modified quote.
LunaJul 2, 2013 6:19 AM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 29, 2013 10:47 PM

May 2013
Ohhh no i was able to catch up now i have to wait 1 week for every episode. mikasa 9982 i will never forget you and 10032 is cute all of misaki clones are cute.

Mod Edit: Removed spoilers.
LunaJul 2, 2013 6:17 AM
Jun 30, 2013 2:11 AM

Jun 2013
Question Misaka is supposed to be from Towadaki? which is a school for rich girls. She is said to even be among the elite there, yet why does her house look so plain. I mean having maids and butlers aside, her house depicted here looks like an average house.

Granted I think shows like Ouran High and Hana Yori Dango etc. have exaggerated the super rich in Japan living in enormous western mansions 4 stories tall, or old style Japanese houses on 100 acre properties, but still.
Jun 30, 2013 2:35 AM

Aug 2009
krownklown said:
Question Misaka is supposed to be from Towadaki? which is a school for rich girls. She is said to even be among the elite there, yet why does her house look so plain. I mean having maids and butlers aside, her house depicted here looks like an average house.

Granted I think shows like Ouran High and Hana Yori Dango etc. have exaggerated the super rich in Japan living in enormous western mansions 4 stories tall, or old style Japanese houses on 100 acre properties, but still.
Tokiwadai isnt for rich girls.It is for high level esper girls.Their status outside Academy City doesnt matter at all(this goes for ALL schools).There was a case that started an international incident when they refused to take in a girl from a royal family because she wasnt strong enough(Level 3 and higher).

Misaka's family are wealthy enough to not have any financial problems but not so rich to have maids etc.

Her mother is currently

Her father's job is
Also he
ssjokgJun 30, 2013 2:39 AM
Jun 30, 2013 6:35 AM
Feb 2013
The first three seasons were good but damn J.C.Staff, this is a much higher level. Every single episode is great a worth the wait.

It's almost Index II 17th episode each week ! Well… Almost.
Jun 30, 2013 7:53 AM

Nov 2010
Touma and Misaka clone were incredibly sweet this time
Misaka talking like Touma by destroying Three Diagram was funny
It was a nice add to Index story with Accelerator beating up the punks as well
Jun 30, 2013 8:00 AM

Dec 2011
We finally got Misaka's side on when she learned the destruction of the Tree Diagram. I hate that Index and Himegami is just referenced, they didn't appear!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2011
flyon14 said:
The first three seasons were good but damn J.C.Staff, this is a much higher level. Every single episode is great a worth the wait.

It's almost Index II 17th episode each week ! Well… Almost.

Holy shit, I forgot this was made by JC STAFF, this has to be one of their best series.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 30, 2013 9:28 AM

Jan 2013
Tyrel said:
MoonageDaydream said:
CallMeIshmael said:
MoonageDaydream said:

I'm well aware.

Then you shouldn't be confused...
That's not what I meant. Never mind.
Jun 30, 2013 12:05 PM

May 2011
Haha it was fun to see Touma's random interactions with 10032 again. Lol at her dog joke hehe.

Loved watching Misaka's shocked expression there at the end as well. I've been really looking forward to seeing what her reaction would be like knowing the attempt to hack into the Tree Diagram was pointless with it already destroyed.
Jun 30, 2013 7:26 PM
Mar 2013
Lately I've been on Suki. Thank god this episode got some love here. I gave it a 10/10 5/5 here.

It was much better with subtitles (4th watch).

Anyway... What the hell are all the spoilers doing above me.? Some Mod should get rid of them. Why are you guys talking about this? You should put spoilers at least. First time viewers don't even know anything about this???

Anyway...

Here's my analysis:

This episode was about four things mainly:

1. Mikoto showing how neurotic she has slowly become.

This is first displayed when she worries about her friends getting in trouble with that heartfelt scene. However, then when she is with Touma, she talks about the blimp that ended the first season with a really mushy lovey-dovey feeling as a machine that orders humans around. (given that this season is very near to the time that the first season ended, we see that the crazy situations she has encountered over the past few days have traumatized her badly and changed her way of thinking in a very negative manner. She can't think about happy things anymore. She's sad all of the time and she feels very responsible for what she has done.

2. Touma interacting with MISAKA 10032. (that was finally definitely cleared up in addition to the Omake remake 10031-10032 confusion)

We saw her experiencing different emotions throughout the episode. The clones just have to talk to other nice people in order to go through the full flow of emotions. We see here that she had already learned to be snide from 9982 in episode 5 (from the radio-noise network) (she made the joke about calling the cat from episode 5 Dog (it was the same cat actually). She also showed frustration when she wanted Touma to say that the cat didn't hate her. She learned about anger when she heard Touma say it was angry because it was hungry. She learned about happiness when it was full. She learned about anger/frustration/happiness (I really appreciated it when she said Touma had a mental deficiency it made me lol really hard). MISAKA 10031 experienced the other emotions this episode, I'll get to that now.

3. MISAKA 10031 feeling bad about what Mikoto said and getting ready to lose her life in the 10031th experiment because Mikoto says she doesn't want to see her (her voice, her face) (this is interpreted as Mikoto saying that she wants to deny the clones because they are creepy and traumatizing to her) (last episode Mikoto even punched the streetlight after saying that to 10031. I feel bad about this)... She first experienced sadness. Then she learned about confusion and was sorry to Accelerator when he said she was confusing him. For a second it almost looked as if he didn't want to hear that from her because he doesn't want to consider her as a human being, but rather a doll.

4. Mikoto going after Tree Diagram.

She told Kuroko this would be the last day. Since the janitor said night was coming... this means Mikoto will either go back to the dorm and Kuroko will hear her secret... or she won't go back. She showed her wonderful Spider-Mikoto-ness. I felt bad for her especially because I knew 3 times over what was going to happen (lol)... BTW tree diagram was destroyed on July 28th, not July 8th the subtitles were wrong (missed the 2 by accident) (just pointing that out). Here we see Mikoto losing all of her chances to fix the experiment... considering how Tree Diagram was destroyed, we better see the perpetrator help her fix this mess or that person is an idiot. :D

Anyway....

Some things noted:

Young Mikoto was absolutely adorable.

The opening and ending are growing on me a lot. They're excellent now.

I liked how the episode adapted material from the light novels and the manga.

The background music was great once again. (Did Accel save that guy?)

The background images were amazing, and the people walking around everywhere gave the setting a real feel (it was well done).

Touma's animation was excellent this episode. I preferred it way more to last episode. He was acting so funnily with 10032. (Oi= hello lol lol). I guess he's used to emotionally dense people.

I forgive Mikoto for not being able to help the clones develop emotionally (well she did that one episode pretty importantly) (they care about animals/cats now as a result). Their deaths were traumatizing to her and she knows they are clones while Touma doesn't so he treats them like actual people (because it is therefore natural, there is no reason not to).

Misaka's mom's hair from the back looked like 9982's hair.

(Her dad wasn't home).

Santa Claus gets around in Raildex lol.

I lolled really hard when she said: I wish there were any HEROS around who could save me :D (lol)

I'm not sure if I like Anti-hero Mikoto (the evil smile). I prefer the one-tooth four year old with red-blushing cheeks (lol).

Well the PV was really exciting for next episode.

I rated this a 10/10. There were about 200 more things I won't post here because they'll probably just suck up more time of anyone that actually decides to read this entire post. :D

P.S. the most surprising moment of the episode (I don't care if it was said a second time) was Accelerator's statement: "There are dolls who perform their duties silently afterall" (he was genuinely impressed with them...)... I'm not sure how to take this. I got a different vibe in the anime adaptation compared to the manga. It felt genuine here; not just like some throw-away comment... This was interesting.

And for those people who complained about too much Touma/MISAKA 10032, consider this (near end of sisters arc):
dnivJun 30, 2013 7:35 PM
Jul 1, 2013 1:57 AM

Feb 2013
neontaster said:
God I love how this is intersecting with Index.

This. I love how it isn't just a prequel, but a different perspective.

Show is amazing, even for a slower paced episode like this.
Jul 1, 2013 2:58 AM

Feb 2012
Wait that's Misaka's mother? Damn, I need to see more of her.
Jul 1, 2013 9:38 AM

Aug 2009
DoctorDoom said:
Wait that's Misaka's mother? Damn, I need to see more of her.
Watch Toaru Majutsu no Index II.
Jul 1, 2013 10:41 AM
Oct 2012
dniv said:

This is first displayed when she worries about her friends getting in trouble with that heartfelt scene. However, then when she is with Touma, she talks about the blimp that ended the first season with a really mushy lovey-dovey feeling as a machine that orders humans around. (given that this season is very near to the time that the first season ended, we see that the crazy situations she has encountered over the past few days have traumatized her badly and changed her way of thinking in a very negative manner. She can't think about happy things anymore. She's sad all of the time and she feels very responsible for what she has done.

There is an old saying "you're not paranoid if people really ARE out to get you."

Misaka isn't "turning negative", she has just discovered how horrific the Academy City really is and is responding as she should to this fact. Remember at the end of Season One she said that the city is "where we belong". Then it was possible to put the blame of the city on just a few rogue elements, but in the Sister Arc she discovered that far from that being the exception, that is the true image of the city. Killing 20,000 living thinking humans means nothing to these people. Misaka discovered that, despite her heroic efforts, nothing she does will stop the experiment. Coming to grips with that should dampen anyone's mood.

If anything, far from turning neurotic, Misaka has shown remarkable psychological resilience. Despite her disappointments, she still is trying to correct the situation, and she is grounded enough to realize that her actions are illegal, showing that she doesn't confuse her personal reality with societal reality (this is what psycho and sociopaths can't do). She made an honest assessment that her mission is probably hopeless, but she made a conscious decision that it was worth her life to stop it. To be able to accurately understand reality, and then make an informed decision about it, is the highest form of sanity on the planet.
Jul 1, 2013 1:30 PM
Mar 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
dniv said:

There is an old saying "you're not paranoid if people really ARE out to get you."

Misaka isn't "turning negative", she has just discovered how horrific the Academy City really is and is responding as she should to this fact. Remember at the end of Season One she said that the city is "where we belong". Then it was possible to put the blame of the city on just a few rogue elements, but in the Sister Arc she discovered that far from that being the exception, that is the true image of the city. Killing 20,000 living thinking humans means nothing to these people. Misaka discovered that, despite her heroic efforts, nothing she does will stop the experiment. Coming to grips with that should dampen anyone's mood.

If anything, far from turning neurotic, Misaka has shown remarkable psychological resilience. Despite her disappointments, she still is trying to correct the situation, and she is grounded enough to realize that her actions are illegal, showing that she doesn't confuse her personal reality with societal reality (this is what psycho and sociopaths can't do). She made an honest assessment that her mission is probably hopeless, but she made a conscious decision that it was worth her life to stop it. To be able to accurately understand reality, and then make an informed decision about it, is the highest form of sanity on the planet.

Lol, yes this is all true.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that everything she holds dear is slowly being taken away from her. She is losing everything important to her, and all of her old values are being replaced. She's losing her humanity slowly and is becoming this person who is trying to save lives at all costs no matter what the consequences are. She believes that everything that contradicts her beliefs is evil (a stupid notion, while mostly right in this case)

That blimp was not evil. It was a symbol of the kids recovering from that hospital (a hospital she now associates with her clones...)

All I'm saying is that her options go down, she's losing her sanity. Neuroticism is not insanity. It's different. Neuroticism is the condition where a person does/thinks unhealthy things in order to make up for crazy thoughts/feelings/actions or traumatic occurrences. She is coping with what is going on. But she is neurotic. She is not the same happy-go lucky person she once was. She is shouldering everything by herself which is also unhealthy. She almost broke down because she's worried about her friends getting in trouble.

She's sane and she's dealing with it like a level 5. But she's doing it alone. Almost no one can do everything alone and end up succeeding. At first she didn't want to put her friends in danger, now she is possibly doing that. All of her beliefs are being questioned, and she can't prevent bad things from continuing to happen. It's enough to drive anyone eventually crazy.

If you just looked at her face every episode, she's showing signs of her starting to go crazy somewhat. You see her facial expressions and you shudder. That's not the same Mikoto. This is a Mikoto who was severely traumatized.

She's not been accepting the clones as people (subconsciously) and she regretted it as soon as she said so last episode and wanted to take it back... but she couldn't.

She's very strong, but she's not perfect. No one is perfect. Everyone has faults.

Her fault is that she has reverted to who she was at the beginning of season 1, a girl that tries to act tough and take care of herself, by herself with no one else around. This shows how she has completely regressed since the beginning of season 1 back to how she was in season 2. She is relying less and less on her friends as the episodes go on. She has to do more and more by herself...

The difference between season 1 and season 2 of railgun are as follows after all:

Season 1: episode 24: "I'll protect this city, it's a place where we espers can realize our full potential" and blah blah blah I won't let you take it away!

Season 2: episode 11: The top people in the city know about the atrocities happening all of the time. This must mean that my enemy is the city itself.

Season 1: she wanted to protect AC dearly with her friends.

Season 2: She is trying to destroy its evil alone.

This paradigm shift shows her personality has changed as a result as well. She will go crazy eventually if this keeps on happening. That's all I'm saying. She's devolved personality-wise immensely. She sneers all of the time... (very unlike her)... and is acting in many ways like an anti-hero. She isn't a hero right now, she's an anti-hero. No one is out to get her anyway. Her clones yes, her no.

The problem is that no one can help her. She laughs while blowing up labs (a touch crazy if you ask me), she tried to kill a few people. She couldn't stand MISAKA 10031 and told her she didn't want to see her face or voice (this is her subconsciously imagining herself being the one killed when she thinks of the clones).

If you see "yourself" get killed bloodily in front of you. You then fight someone who outclasses you. You try as hard as you can to blow up laboratories to stop an experiment while fighting for your life. You barely succeed and regain your happiness (while still traumatized), you find out you failed miserably and have to do one last ditch effort in order to absolve yourself of the guilt of producing 20,000 people to be killed (not to mention they look and sound like her which makes it more complicated). Then you fail. Where are you at then? Despair.

She has no options left. She either has to tell her friends the truth or fight Accelerator and win. She could try destroying all of the labs, but a lot of clones would die in the meantime. She is basically doomed from all sides. This is enough to make anyone go crazy. (There's only so much you can take). I'm guessing she won't go insane, but you know... if things got worse, I could see that happening...

She can't rely on anyone to help her. She's lucky she's powerful unlike Nunotaba.
Jul 1, 2013 2:23 PM
Oct 2012
dniv said:
You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that everything she holds dear is slowly being taken away from her. She is losing everything important to her, and all of her old values are being replaced. She's losing her humanity slowly and is becoming this person who is trying to save lives at all costs no matter what the consequences are. She believes that everything that contradicts her beliefs is evil (a stupid notion, while mostly right in this case)

That blimp was not evil. It was a symbol of the kids recovering from that hospital (a hospital she now associates with her clones...)

Still not buying your argument. Misaka doesn't think that the blimp is "evil", she just realizes that far from being benign, it is a device the rulers of the city are using to control the population, and she is right. Misaka in no way personifies the blimp, for her it is similar to the "tree diagram", both are tools that were supposed to be designed to benefit humanity, but are actually being used for evil purposes. She doesn't want to destroy the tree diagram because she thinks it is evil, but because it is a means for the scientists to continue their experiment.

You statement about "trying to saving lives without thinking of the consequences" is strange. What consequences? Misaka has considered consequences. She knows what she is doing is illegal, so she doesn't want to get Kuroko involved. She even accepted the likelihood of her being arrested for stopping the experiment. Both shows great consideration of the consequences of her actions. That she is increasing the force she is using as her efforts are shown as being ineffectual is completely acceptable given the situation.

dniv said:
All I'm saying is that her options go down, she's losing her sanity. Neuroticism is not insanity. It's different. Neuroticism is the condition where a person does/thinks unhealthy things in order to make up for crazy thoughts/feelings/actions or traumatic occurrences. She is coping with what is going on. But she is neurotic. She is not the same happy-go lucky person she once was. She is shouldering everything by herself which is also unhealthy. She almost broke down because she's worried about her friends getting in trouble.

Actually if she was "happy go lucky" after finding out that 10,000 people have been butchered around her, then you may have something about her being neurotic. Besides that isn't even true, she was able to release some stress in laughing at Touma's vending machine troubles. This after barely surviving her duel with "Item". Granted her laugh was a little too maniacal, but again considering what she had just gone through not surprising.

dniv said:
She's sane and she's dealing with it like a level 5. But she's doing it alone. Almost no one can do everything alone and end up succeeding. At first she didn't want to put her friends in danger, now she is possibly doing that. All of her beliefs are being questioned, and she can't prevent bad things from continuing to happen. It's enough to drive anyone eventually crazy.

Who can she turn to? She knows that every facet of the City is under the control of the administration, so she can't turned to the teachers, Judgment, or the police. Two of the other Level 5's are in on this, so there is no help from other espers. She sounded out Kuroko's help, but she knows that Kuroko will put her faith into the city. Most people would blame Kuroko for that, but Misaka actually shows remarkable empathy. She both understands and accepts Kuroko for her position.

dniv said:
If you just looked at her face every episode, she's showing signs of her starting to go crazy somewhat. You see her facial expressions and you shudder. That's not the same Mikoto. This is a Mikoto who was severely traumatized.

Considering the situation, her reaction has been remarkably sane. She has been put into an insane situation, betrayed by the doctors in her past, by the City she loved today, a witness to Rawadan level brutality, shown repeatedly that nothing she does will matter, but she continues to fight on, regardless of the odds, in a moral fashion. Is she suffering stress? Of course, not least of which is the fact that she hasn't had much sleep since she started her campaign, but there is no sign that she is breaking.

dniv said:
She's not been accepting the clones as people (subconsciously) and she regretted it as soon as she said so last episode and wanted to take it back... but she couldn't.

She did the first one she met, and it was killed. I think that would cause her to be a little reserved with the other 10,000 of them. Getting to know them better would just increase her guilt, she doesn't have the bandwidth to handle personalizing the ones getting killed, can you blame her?

dniv said:
She's very strong, but she's not perfect. No one is perfect. Everyone has faults.

All you are really saying is that she is human. Misaka has never thought she was perfect.

dniv said:
Her fault is that she has reverted to who she was at the beginning of season 1, a girl that tries to act tough and take care of herself, by herself with no one else around. This shows how she has completely regressed since the beginning of season 1 back to how she was in season 2. She is relying less and less on her friends as the episodes go on. She has to do more and more by herself...

She has to. And no she hasn't reverted. She isn't acting in the irresponsible fashion she did at the beginning of Season 1.

dniv said:
Season 1: episode 24: "I'll protect this city, it's a place where we espers can realize our full potential" and blah blah blah I won't let you take it away!

Season 2: episode 11: The top people in the city know about the atrocities happening all of the time. This must mean that my enemy is the city itself.

I'll stop here because we are starting to repeat ourselves. But, I would like to repeat what I started with "you aren't paranoid if people really are out to get you."

The City is evil. Not the physical city of course, Misaka isn't personifying her conflict, but the people who built and run the city are evil. In season 1 Misaka denied this truth despite being shown enough to come to this conclusion, but this season she can no longer deny this fact. That isn't a sign of retardation or insanity, but of growing maturity on Misaka's part.

The question to refute your argument is simple. What would you have Misaka do? Force Kuroko to decide between her principles and Misaka? Drag level zero Saten into the fight? Run to the government, even though she knows that they have bought into the experiment? My only fault of how Misaka has handled this is that I would have started by eliminating those who created the program rather than Misaka's reasonable approach of starting with economic sanctions, but even though that would be my method I am finding it a tad difficult to fault Misaka's sanity or morals for choosing her method.
Jul 1, 2013 7:06 PM

Jan 2012
another same story as in Index. next week's gonna be a blast!!!
Jul 1, 2013 7:25 PM

Jun 2007
First episode I've been a little disappointed with - and oddly not directly because of Touma even with all his screentime. It's more because of the laziness of the writers (adaptation or not, it was lazily handled - I don't give a shit if the manga did this too, if so it was lazy there as well) - almost 90% of the episode was Index material rehashed and re-drawn with Railgun's budget. Only a small portion was new or Railgun-specific material.

The show is Railgun, seeing a character who isn't even one of the 4 main leads whatsoever have more screen time than even the title-character is a bit stupid - especially when it undermines the point of having a main series and a spin-off series following some of the same story by having the lead of the episode be the star of the main series and having every scene one that already happened almost verbatim in his show.

As much as I hate Touma and Index - my problem is that this was almost an episode of Index rather than an episode of Railgun featuring Touma and all that. Almost all of it is scenes that have already been animated in Index, the same everything, just re-done a little bit. The point of having two show is that Index has Touma's perspective mainly and Railgun has Biribiri's mainly - but now we just got Touma's an entire episode, which defeats the entire point of Railgun being a thing. Not only do we just get Touma's perspective - we get the SAME EXACT SCENES that were in Index already. It's not even NEW Touma material - which would actually be something I'd be fine with because it'd be furthering the Railgun side of the full story that Index and Railgun combine to create.

It's one thing for cameos or fun little episodes (like the one focusing on the Anti-Skill lady), but the serious story parts should be NEW material - MOSTLY stuff not already shown in Index. That's the POINT of Railgun's main story - to see what was going on on HER side of things during the events that take place in Index to further flesh out the full story. Having Index then literally re-drawing the same exact sequences from Index into Railgun is just redundant and a waste of everyone's time.

This was an episode of Index, not of Railgun. That'd be fine if it was a new episode of Index, but it was like watching a rerun. A wastefully redundant episode that forgot what it was doing and ended up basically being a random recap episode of Index instead of anything new for EITHER series.
TallonKarrde23Jul 1, 2013 7:41 PM
Jul 1, 2013 8:55 PM
Jan 2013
Argh! The cliffhanger!
But, that means that something besides TD is predicting (or controlling) the weather in Academy City... Hmmmmmm....
And without TD to destroy, how will she stop the experiment?
Wait... I'm having a thought... What if the reason the mad scientist undresstress couldn't get approval for TD is that it had already been destroyed?
Layers upon layers I can't wait for the next episode. :'(

Mod Edit: Removed spoiler and everything that was referring to this post and discussing Index novel material.
LunaJul 2, 2013 5:55 AM
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Jul 2, 2013 9:50 AM

Aug 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:

>hates Index and rages when people recommend it to others.
>wants important parts of the story cut out because he has seen them before.
>Misaka screen time>>Accelerator,Sisters,Touma who are VERY relevant to the arc and the series.

Well this is ALL your opinion and no there is nothing subjective about your post.There is only the fact that you are the only one feeling like this and btw it doesnt seem to be at the scale of "a little".

I have no words for calling this episode a waste of everyone's time(lol you asked everyone about that?) when they wasted an entire ep AND killed the mood, looking for a 4 leaf glover(not to mention the stupid rice cooker some eps before that was there just to fill some time),calling it char development when it isnt even near Kuroko's char development in Index's Sister Arc which I hope it gets animated here and not just make Touma a freaking DEM(I dont really care but who wants people to criticize a good series for something that it didnt do)just because you want more Mikasa in the eps.Story wise that is the best option.

Did I forgot to mention that Mikasa's scenes were fantastic?Because apparently the "good part" was overshadowed,for you,for reasons only you understand.

And this wasnt a Touma POV episode but a Sisters and Misaka POV ep(and a bit of Accelerator).

Yes Railgun is for Misaka's POV not in this arc but the Railgun series in general.But numerous times both in the manga and anime the POV changed to someone else so it would be more appropriate to call it Misaka's Side POV which includes Kuroko,Saten,Uiharu,Kiyama and in this arc Accelerator,Nunotaba ,ITEM and Sisters.Oh and I like that you know what the point of Railgun is.Apparently Kamachi should learn from you.Who would have guess that when Misaka Mikoto's POV would end they would show other important parts of the arc?

This was an episode of Railgun and if you hate this then I advise you to not watch the rest episodes of this arc since they will be "recaps" anyway.There is no need for the same post in 5 different threads.

THIS is Sisters Arc.Railgun or Index is irrelevant.They wont change the story or skip important scenes just to please you(someone in a small fraction of the fanbase,although I dont want to include you in it at all) instead of the majority of the fanbase whether they have seen Index or not.
ssjokgJul 2, 2013 10:48 AM
Jul 2, 2013 10:45 AM
Mar 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
First episode I've been a little disappointed with - and oddly not directly because of Touma even with all his screentime. It's more because of the laziness of the writers (adaptation or not, it was lazily handled - I don't give a shit if the manga did this too, if so it was lazy there as well) - almost 90% of the episode was Index material rehashed and re-drawn with Railgun's budget. Only a small portion was new or Railgun-specific material.

The show is Railgun, seeing a character who isn't even one of the 4 main leads whatsoever have more screen time than even the title-character is a bit stupid - especially when it undermines the point of having a main series and a spin-off series following some of the same story by having the lead of the episode be the star of the main series and having every scene one that already happened almost verbatim in his show.

As much as I hate Touma and Index - my problem is that this was almost an episode of Index rather than an episode of Railgun featuring Touma and all that. Almost all of it is scenes that have already been animated in Index, the same everything, just re-done a little bit. The point of having two show is that Index has Touma's perspective mainly and Railgun has Biribiri's mainly - but now we just got Touma's an entire episode, which defeats the entire point of Railgun being a thing. Not only do we just get Touma's perspective - we get the SAME EXACT SCENES that were in Index already. It's not even NEW Touma material - which would actually be something I'd be fine with because it'd be furthering the Railgun side of the full story that Index and Railgun combine to create.

It's one thing for cameos or fun little episodes (like the one focusing on the Anti-Skill lady), but the serious story parts should be NEW material - MOSTLY stuff not already shown in Index. That's the POINT of Railgun's main story - to see what was going on on HER side of things during the events that take place in Index to further flesh out the full story. Having Index then literally re-drawing the same exact sequences from Index into Railgun is just redundant and a waste of everyone's time.

This was an episode of Index, not of Railgun. That'd be fine if it was a new episode of Index, but it was like watching a rerun. A wastefully redundant episode that forgot what it was doing and ended up basically being a random recap episode of Index instead of anything new for EITHER series.

I mean you shouldn't really complain here.

Touma was actually good here. At least, you should at least admit he wasn't as annoying as usual if you find him annoying...

The Sisters arc is a prequel plus the actual events of the Sisters arc happening from a different perspective. Also, the railgun manga was really good so don't insult it...

Anyway, the sisters arc is about everyone related to the experiment. This includes Accelerator, Mikoto, ITEM, and others. Therefore, it is natural to have those characters with a fair amount of screentime.

IF you haven't noticed. Mikoto isn't herself right now. She's acting like an anti-hero... with the sneers and all. The show is called railgun: yes. But railgun has to develop the backstory of all characters involved or likes to do so. This is why it shouldn't be a problem to at least know the rest of the story if it involves Accelerator and the others. I get it if you hate them, but you should deal with it here for the sake of the story. Calling the plot stupid because it has characters you don't like in the context of ANOTHER SHOW with OTHER SETTINGS and THEMES and FOCUSES doesn't make any sense.

They really went out of their way to make this episode good. They used this episode to talk about 4 different subplots. Considering that Accelerator is the villain he should get a lot of screentime.

In Touma's case, he is the main protagonist of the other series. What do you expect? If you don't like it, you should just bear with it.

The one thing to keep in mind is that this is Railgun S (sisters). This arc is supposed to be the full sisters arc. They aren't supposed to cut it. If Railgun is stand-alone, then it has to have the full arc... otherwise it couldn't actually be stand alone... you said it was stand alone yourself. So don't complain about repeats. If it is to be stand alone then it has to have all of the material... especially since it's happening at the same time... Part of it is that the better music and graphics make it more enjoyable.

You should try to be more open-minded, but you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't complain about them repeating it if you want to say that Railgun is stand alone. If the raildex universe is supposed to be consistent, the same things have to happen in both versions. They can just show different things i.e. from different perspectives. Touma talking to MISAKA 10032 is obviously important if they put it in.
Jul 2, 2013 2:35 PM
Mar 2013
dniv said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

I mean you shouldn't really complain here.

Touma was actually good here. At least, you should at least admit he wasn't as annoying as usual if you find him annoying...

The Sisters arc is a prequel plus the actual events of the Sisters arc happening from a different perspective. Also, the railgun manga was really good so don't insult it...

Anyway, the sisters arc is about everyone related to the experiment. This includes Accelerator, Mikoto, ITEM, and others. Therefore, it is natural to have those characters with a fair amount of screentime.

IF you haven't noticed. Mikoto isn't herself right now. She's acting like an anti-hero... with the sneers and all. The show is called railgun: yes. But railgun has to develop the backstory of all characters involved or likes to do so. This is why it shouldn't be a problem to at least know the rest of the story if it involves Accelerator and the others. I get it if you hate them, but you should deal with it here for the sake of the story. Calling the plot stupid because it has characters you don't like in the context of ANOTHER SHOW with OTHER SETTINGS and THEMES and FOCUSES doesn't make any sense.

They really went out of their way to make this episode good. They used this episode to talk about 4 different subplots. Considering that Accelerator is the villain he should get a lot of screentime.

In Touma's case, he is the main protagonist of the other series. What do you expect? If you don't like it, you should just bear with it.

The one thing to keep in mind is that this is Railgun S (sisters). This arc is supposed to be the full sisters arc. They aren't supposed to cut it. If Railgun is stand-alone, then it has to have the full arc... otherwise it couldn't actually be stand alone... you said it was stand alone yourself. So don't complain about repeats. If it is to be stand alone then it has to have all of the material... especially since it's happening at the same time... Part of it is that the better music and graphics make it more enjoyable.

You should try to be more open-minded, but you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't complain about them repeating it if you want to say that Railgun is stand alone. If the raildex universe is supposed to be consistent, the same things have to happen in both versions. They can just show different things i.e. from different perspectives. Touma talking to MISAKA 10032 is obviously important if they put it in.
ehhh, i would just let it go i mean not everyone going to like the same character like others do, even misaka mikoto has haters(especially with the shana fans, sheesh quite a number of them still has a grudge against mikoto because of her win against shana in International saimoe league i believe was in 2011 or 2012 or to those who aren't a fan of tsundere either) some people just have different view points of others characters or story no matter how good we see it in our eyes and the enjoyment we get from the plot/characters. if TallonKarrde23 hates kamijou then let him hate him(its always best to ignore comments like those so it won't ruin your mood) the bright side is at-least kamijou been getting little to no complains this year in railgun S with many fans excited of his reappearance in railgun S.
Jul 2, 2013 2:40 PM

Jun 2007
dniv and ssokj - I'm gonna copy paste a comment I made on my blog so it may or may not entirely apply 100% but it covers everything I'd say in response so don't focus on bits and pieces that may not apply in this case;

"My problem isn’t so heavily focused on Touma having screen time but more that Railgun’s whole purpose is to provide NEW material on those same story scenarios. Yes, this arc happens in both series/the LN, but Railgun (the manga and the show) could have still showed Touma and the Sister – but with NEW material. They literally re-did the same exact scenes with the same-exact lines in the same-exact way.

The point of Railgun (in the crossover parts like this arc) is to show the story from a new perspective and further flesh out the events. So, okay, I can accept Touma being around a lot because he’s a big player in the arc – and like I was saying, I can tolerate him a lot more in Railgun anyway so he wasn’t so bad – the problem is that they LITERALLY just went back to their Index storyboards and scripts and re-animated them and that’s almost ALL the episode was.

Hell, look back at season 1 of Railgun – “railgun-only” types ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO KNOW the full story, just like INDEX only fans aren’t supposed to. That’s the entire POINT of Railgun and Index having shared story arcs; you don’t get to know the full story until you deal with both.

Like, for example, the Tree Diagram. From what I was spoiled on thanks to the godawful moderation on MAL, this is something that happened awhile back and NOT something Railgun fans will ever find out about if they don’t touch Index at all. It’s a HUGE aspect of the entire Raildex universe – the Tree Diagram is something brought up almost constantly throughout the series and in every serious arc, including this one. Yet, for Railgun fans, we only get to know it was destroyed ‘somehow at some point’. To learn more we have to go out of our way to watch or read Index or whatever.

I don’t see why that’s not the case with the rest of this episode. Why do we even SEE Touma and the Sister? This is supposed to be from Biribiri’s point of view – how would we know what’s going on with Touma? The entire point of Railgun is that we DON’T KNOW what’s going on with Touma and that entire side of the story. I knew of these scenes but, as I’ve said plenty, never actually watched Index cuz I couldn’t tolerate it long enough to. So was it ‘useful information’? Yeah – the same way 100% of Index would be to the REST of the goddamn manga-adapted serious episodes of Railgun. Yet we never had to sit through an episode of literally about 90% rehashed storyboards and dialogue from Index.

Touma is not the lead for a reason – not ‘lelelelel biribiri so much better’ but because this side story exists to flesh out the less-developed stories in Index. Neither Index fans NOR Railgun fans were given jack shit out of this episode. The only people I see praising it anywhere are Index fans because “TOUMMAAA XDDDD YEAAAAA XDDDDD WOOOOOOO TOUMMMMMAAAAA-SAAANA KAKKOOOIII :)” not for the episode as an episode. Just for the touma fanservice of him being around. This furthered the story of NEITHER series.

You argue that this episode’s footage directly from Index is “necessary” because of how important Touma and these events are to the arc. This just ain’t true. There are plenty of arcs in Index where Mikoto is massively important yet she was just quickly skimped over throughout the ENTIRETY of Index because SHE HAS HER OWN SIDE-STORY TO FLESH OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON DURING THAT TIME IN THE STORY.

I maen, does Index show the past 10 episodes of this season? Biribiri on the war path as a terrorist is PRETTY FUCKING HUGE to this arc. Biribiri fighting Accelerator after he kills the one sister is PRETTY FUCKING HUGE to this arc. Yet, no, this wasn’t ever shown in Index. So why do we “need” to see Touma naming a fucking cat? How is him naming a cat and spending time with a sister more important to the entire story of the arc THAN THE ACTUAL STORY OF THE ARC? It’s NOT. Yet, while Index shows NONE of the relevant Railgun material, Railgun shows a full episode almost of directly-taken-from-Index’s-anime scenes? Really?

THAT is necessary to you, but not Railgun’s stuff? This ENTIRE ARC IS ABOUT MIKOTO MISAKA. THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS ARC AND THIS STORY. Yeah, the sisters keep playing a role, but the main aspect of this arc is Mikoto. Not Touma. Yet Index never really dealt with Biribiri aside the times Touma ran into her. You’re saying that’ss fine, but you think in Railgun it’s necessary to show him naming a goddamn cat? Nothing is more important in this arc than Biribiri, yet Index entirely skimped over her – BECAUSE IT’S “INDEX” NOT “RAILGUN”. So why the FUCK does Railgun suddenly NEED to show Index-centric entirely-non-railgun-relevant material? It’s important to the arc? So were the last 10 episodes, didn’t see any of those in Index though – because TOUMA DOESN’T KNOW ABOUT THEM. Just like WE DONT KNOW ABOUT TOUMA AND WHAT HE’S DOING.

That’s the POINT OF RAILGUN."

If you have a defense, ESPECIALLY for those last two paragraphs, please let me know. I'd really like to hear ANY retort for that part of my reply. And saying "b-b-b-b-but Index was written first" is not an allowable excuse, both were past that point when they were animated.

And SSOKJ I'd appreciate if you didn't shove words in my mouth - I never once said I was upset because there wasn't enough Mikoto. Please stop assuming things just because you have no actual defensive arguments to make, it's annoying, it's pathetic, it's just evading and deflecting, and you do it almost every time you reply to me because you're such a goddamn fanboy.

For once, try to actually respond to what I SAID instead of making up things you BELIEVE I "meant".
TallonKarrde23Jul 2, 2013 2:46 PM
Jul 2, 2013 3:20 PM
Mar 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
dniv and ssokj - I'm gonna copy paste a comment I made on my blog so it may or may not entirely apply 100% but it covers everything I'd say in response so don't focus on bits and pieces that may not apply in this case;

"My problem isn’t so heavily focused on Touma having screen time but more that Railgun’s whole purpose is to provide NEW material on those same story scenarios. Yes, this arc happens in both series/the LN, but Railgun (the manga and the show) could have still showed Touma and the Sister – but with NEW material. They literally re-did the same exact scenes with the same-exact lines in the same-exact way.

The point of Railgun (in the crossover parts like this arc) is to show the story from a new perspective and further flesh out the events. So, okay, I can accept Touma being around a lot because he’s a big player in the arc – and like I was saying, I can tolerate him a lot more in Railgun anyway so he wasn’t so bad – the problem is that they LITERALLY just went back to their Index storyboards and scripts and re-animated them and that’s almost ALL the episode was.

Hell, look back at season 1 of Railgun – “railgun-only” types ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO KNOW the full story, just like INDEX only fans aren’t supposed to. That’s the entire POINT of Railgun and Index having shared story arcs; you don’t get to know the full story until you deal with both.

Like, for example, the Tree Diagram. From what I was spoiled on thanks to the godawful moderation on MAL, this is something that happened awhile back and NOT something Railgun fans will ever find out about if they don’t touch Index at all. It’s a HUGE aspect of the entire Raildex universe – the Tree Diagram is something brought up almost constantly throughout the series and in every serious arc, including this one. Yet, for Railgun fans, we only get to know it was destroyed ‘somehow at some point’. To learn more we have to go out of our way to watch or read Index or whatever.

I don’t see why that’s not the case with the rest of this episode. Why do we even SEE Touma and the Sister? This is supposed to be from Biribiri’s point of view – how would we know what’s going on with Touma? The entire point of Railgun is that we DON’T KNOW what’s going on with Touma and that entire side of the story. I knew of these scenes but, as I’ve said plenty, never actually watched Index cuz I couldn’t tolerate it long enough to. So was it ‘useful information’? Yeah – the same way 100% of Index would be to the REST of the goddamn manga-adapted serious episodes of Railgun. Yet we never had to sit through an episode of literally about 90% rehashed storyboards and dialogue from Index.

Touma is not the lead for a reason – not ‘lelelelel biribiri so much better’ but because this side story exists to flesh out the less-developed stories in Index. Neither Index fans NOR Railgun fans were given jack shit out of this episode. The only people I see praising it anywhere are Index fans because “TOUMMAAA XDDDD YEAAAAA XDDDDD WOOOOOOO TOUMMMMMAAAAA-SAAANA KAKKOOOIII :)” not for the episode as an episode. Just for the touma fanservice of him being around. This furthered the story of NEITHER series.

You argue that this episode’s footage directly from Index is “necessary” because of how important Touma and these events are to the arc. This just ain’t true. There are plenty of arcs in Index where Mikoto is massively important yet she was just quickly skimped over throughout the ENTIRETY of Index because SHE HAS HER OWN SIDE-STORY TO FLESH OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON DURING THAT TIME IN THE STORY.

I maen, does Index show the past 10 episodes of this season? Biribiri on the war path as a terrorist is PRETTY FUCKING HUGE to this arc. Biribiri fighting Accelerator after he kills the one sister is PRETTY FUCKING HUGE to this arc. Yet, no, this wasn’t ever shown in Index. So why do we “need” to see Touma naming a fucking cat? How is him naming a cat and spending time with a sister more important to the entire story of the arc THAN THE ACTUAL STORY OF THE ARC? It’s NOT. Yet, while Index shows NONE of the relevant Railgun material, Railgun shows a full episode almost of directly-taken-from-Index’s-anime scenes? Really?

THAT is necessary to you, but not Railgun’s stuff? This ENTIRE ARC IS ABOUT MIKOTO MISAKA. THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS ARC AND THIS STORY. Yeah, the sisters keep playing a role, but the main aspect of this arc is Mikoto. Not Touma. Yet Index never really dealt with Biribiri aside the times Touma ran into her. You’re saying that’ss fine, but you think in Railgun it’s necessary to show him naming a goddamn cat? Nothing is more important in this arc than Biribiri, yet Index entirely skimped over her – BECAUSE IT’S “INDEX” NOT “RAILGUN”. So why the FUCK does Railgun suddenly NEED to show Index-centric entirely-non-railgun-relevant material? It’s important to the arc? So were the last 10 episodes, didn’t see any of those in Index though – because TOUMA DOESN’T KNOW ABOUT THEM. Just like WE DONT KNOW ABOUT TOUMA AND WHAT HE’S DOING.

That’s the POINT OF RAILGUN."

If you have a defense, ESPECIALLY for those last two paragraphs, please let me know. I'd really like to hear ANY retort for that part of my reply. And saying "b-b-b-b-but Index was written first" is not an allowable excuse, both were past that point when they were animated.

And SSOKJ I'd appreciate if you didn't shove words in my mouth - I never once said I was upset because there wasn't enough Mikoto. Please stop assuming things just because you have no actual defensive arguments to make, it's annoying, it's pathetic, it's just evading and deflecting, and you do it almost every time you reply to me because you're such a goddamn fanboy.

For once, try to actually respond to what I SAID instead of making up things you BELIEVE I "meant".
i understand that your angry buddy, but please try to stay calm and i do agree with you, this episode was entirely unnecessary in some ways since we should be rather focusing on mikoto perspective instead of repeating a whole episode with amazing quality and animations with just a few changes. but even so their are times people should appeal to the fanbase as well and about your statement of index only fans enjoying touma reappearance their were many railgun fans as well who were satisfied seeing touma again since it has been what like what two years?(though the fans were much more overjoyed with episode 11 since you know the toumaxmisaka moments) but i agree with your statement but remember just to stay calm alright ;). afterall J.C. staff are making some anime only material for 8 episodes and this arc has been very enjoyable as well.
GoldzeroJul 2, 2013 3:26 PM
Jul 2, 2013 4:00 PM

Aug 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:
You completely missed the point of Railgun 's Sister arc and talked about Touma when I barely mentioned him in my post.And no I dont care if it is from your blog,your argument is with users here in this subforum of MAL not the followers of your blog.IF you dont want to even try to reply to what we say then dont reply at all.

Except Misaka there are two other sides that WERENT DEVELOPED IN INDEX in this arc.That is Accelerator and the SISTERS.

Whether you like it or not Railgun isnt only about Misaka just like Index(series) isnt only about Touma and/or Index.That Toaru Kagaku no Raigun is ONLY about Misaka is only your own belief and nobody else that actually cares for this show believes that.And if this is true please explain to me that glover treasure hunt some eps ago because it was FAR FAR more irrelevant than this ep because it had NONE of the important chars of the arc.It was 90% filler 10% Kuroko with nothing new about her anyway.I already said that before and if you had paid ANY attention to the manga you would know.It is FAR worse than Touma"s "fanservice" and I really cant believe that you called actual part of the story and important event "fanservice" .And they arent Index fans they are Raildex fans.Just because YOU cant like Index doesnt mean other people like me for example cant like or even love Railgun.

The parts that "werent Misaka" wasnt Touma's POV but Misaka Imouto's POV.If you think that those scenes werent important then it isnt anybody's fault but yours that you didnt find other people(Touma) making the Sisters feel for ANYTHING except their duties,you know,important. It is because of this scene and one more that they develop and care for their lives.IT IS IMPORTANT FOR THE SISTER NOT FOR TOUMA(although it is for him too in a lesser way).

That they are not Railgun related material is also in your own head and once again you are the only one that believes that.AND BTW,just now,or to be exact from the last ep Touma became very important to this arc,he knows some stuff and he will find out more AS YOU KNOW.To omit that just because of how you feel and not because of the story shows nothing except 1.Hate for Index series and 2.that you really like Misaka.Both have nothing to do with this arc.And no having ONLY ONE POV when BOTH are available(unlike when Index I was animated and no the manga wasnt even at that arc yet,IF it hadnt just started) isnt better.

As for where you got that Misaka will get her own side for EVERY arc of Index is a mystery when only the Sister's arc connects directly to Index with every other Railgun arc being 100% irrelevant to Index's arcs.Oh btw when Misaka is important for the arcs in Index,Index DEALS with her.It is nobody's fault that you never gave the series a chance except for the first season.

Now wait a fucking second....."I knew of these scenes but, as I’ve said plenty, never actually watched Index cuz I couldn’t tolerate it long enough to. So was it ‘useful information’? "
*looks at list" : Toaru Majutsu no Index 7/24....

So I am trying to "discuss" with someone that claims these scenes to be a rerun,when he never saw them anyway,never had a real opinion on them(unless of course if you use the convenient excuse of "I dont update shitty shows"),never wanted anything else except for Misaka( and maybe the other girls) on screen, AND YES THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING in both posts.You never had anything to say except YOUR OWN dissatisfaction with how they "treat Misaka",apparently never actually cared for the story itself since you dont care about plot points and never had anything except for exaggerations and ignorance to base your arguments on.

tl;dr :Railgun was never ONLY about Misaka.And Sisters arc isnt the only one to prove that.

EDIT:BTW you contradict yourself with calling it a stand alone and then saying that you have to watch/read both Index and Railgun to understand some parts.
I dont really care since I ALWAYS recommend to read both but it is YOU that always comes and goes on and on about how they dont need each other.So take a side and stop using the "stand alone" card only when it suits you.
ssjokgJul 2, 2013 4:48 PM
Jul 2, 2013 4:32 PM

Aug 2008
Chibi Misaka in that panda onesie. So freakin' cute I died.

Misaka number 1023902309234 callin' the kitty dog. Pahaha :B

And Kuroko. Oh Kuroko. Yet again you win my hearttttttt.
Jul 2, 2013 7:06 PM

Mar 2012
ssjokg said:

As for where you got that Misaka will get her own side for EVERY arc of Index is a mystery when only the Sister's arc connects directly to Index with every other Railgun arc being 100% irrelevant to Index's arcs.Oh btw when Misaka is important for the arcs in Index,Index DEALS with her.It is nobody's fault that you never gave the series a chance except for the first season.

Let me just fix this. Every arc in Railgun connects to Index somehow. The two series are intertwined BECAUSE Railgun is Index's Side Story. While we aren't going to have a Misaka side for every arc, we are going to see connections between the two stories because they are two sides to the same coin. Two perspectives on the same world. I know what you were trying to say here, ssjokg, but what you said might get horribly misinterpreted. However, we are not going to get a Misaka side to every arc of Index in which she is in. We aren't gonna get any for GRS, WWII, or Hawaii. Maybe we will get one for Ichihanaransai but I highly doubt it.

ssjokg said:

EDIT:BTW you contradict yourself with calling it a stand alone and then saying that you have to watch/read both Index and Railgun to understand some parts.
I dont really care since I ALWAYS recommend to read both but it is YOU that always comes and goes on and on about how they dont need each other.So take a side and stop using the "stand alone" card only when it suits you.

Ok, so I have been watching this argument from the sidelines and I am going to have to agree with dniv and ssjokg here, especially on this point. Tallon, I have seen you attempt multiple times to claim that Railgun is a stand alone series and here you are contradicting yourself. Railgun is not a stand alone series. Without the context from Index, Touma's role in this arc would be a huge deus ex machina while Tree Diagram's destruction would be a huge diabolus ex machina (both signs of poor writing). Neither Index nor Railgun is stand-alone as they are both so intertwined that events in Railgun have consequences on the events of Index and are even referenced in Index and vice-versa. You will be completely unable to avoid that when we have a magic-centered arc as the next story arc for Railgun S.
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Jul 2, 2013 10:34 PM

Sep 2010
woah holy crap, i totally forgot 3Diag was blown to smithereens already :o
Jul 3, 2013 12:33 AM

May 2010
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
This includes discussing the Index novel/anime. Also, please use spoiler tags if necessary.

----------------------------------------
HHHHGGGG, clones are just too cute, I swear.

Well, Accelerator is wearing his usual outfit again and being his badass self which I'm not surprised about. Not surprised that Misaka is still going after the facilities though. Anyways, I imagine the fight with Accelerator will begin again soon. Idk when it will take place but I'm looking forward to it.

Ah finally he backs to that classic t shirt( which I love to get my hands on)

Jul 3, 2013 1:16 AM

Feb 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
Yet Index never really dealt with Biribiri aside the times Touma ran into her.

Actually it does, there's a small arc in index 2 centred about kuroko and misaka without touma even being involved.

For the rest i agree with ssjokg that you contradict yourself when you say that railgun is a standalone series.
Jul 3, 2013 10:01 AM

Aug 2009
MyAmy said:

Ah finally he backs to that classic t shirt( which I love to get my hands on)

No
Jul 3, 2013 12:10 PM

Jun 2007
CreationBreaker said:
Tallon, I have seen you attempt multiple times to claim that Railgun is a stand alone series and here you are contradicting yourself. Railgun is not a stand alone series.

I have never "claimed" it's a stand-alone series, I've simply stated the fact that Kamachi, his editor, his publisher, and the TV studio have all decided on - that Railgun is officially a stand-alone series. I'll say it again - if you have a problem with that then please take it up with the original creator and his team, not me.

Along with that, you people don't seem to understand what stand-alone means. It does NOT mean you understand 100% of every single element in something, it means the series is 100% understandable on any relevant level to someone who has no prior knowledge of the material. Railgun is not only from Kamachi's own fucking decision a stand-alone series, but by DEFINITION a stand-alone series. This is not an opinion, this is not debatable, this is a solid fact that has nothing to do with my personal feelings about anything one way or the other. "B-b-b-but it wouldn't be as good" is your only argument and this does not undo the fact that it's still completely understandable and still OFFICIALLY a stand alone series.

Stand Alone means something can be enjoyed without knowing anything about it, Railgun and Index both are officially and by definition stand alone series. Sorry, but that's the facts and it's not something you can debate with me on - I didn't create either and it wasn't my decision to make them such. The stories could be even MORE related and they'd still be stand alone series, because you do not NEED the information from one to fully enjoy and understand the relevant information to the other. Proven by the CREATOR HIMSELF as well as the fact that Railgun has a massive fanbase unconnected to Index (if you want to argue I'm wrong about that, please see the sales numbers and popularity charts - all of which show Index was average and then Railgun fucking blew it out of the water and brought in more fans to Index, yet is STILL the more popular of the two). If Railgun was not stand alone this would literally be impossible.
Jul 3, 2013 12:26 PM
Oct 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Along with that, you people don't seem to understand what stand-alone means. It does NOT mean you understand 100% of every single element in something, it means the series is 100% understandable on any relevant level to someone who has no prior knowledge of the material.

This would also explain why they are reshowing the Touma parts again, far from being a cost saving device, it is actually required to keep the shows on a "Stand Alone" basis.

You explained that very well, kudos.
Jul 3, 2013 2:05 PM
Jul 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
CreationBreaker said:
Tallon, I have seen you attempt multiple times to claim that Railgun is a stand alone series and here you are contradicting yourself. Railgun is not a stand alone series.

I have never "claimed" it's a stand-alone series, I've simply stated the fact that Kamachi, his editor, his publisher, and the TV studio have all decided on - that Railgun is officially a stand-alone series. I'll say it again - if you have a problem with that then please take it up with the original creator and his team, not me.
*sigh* Giving up my little "lurker" status to answer this...
Anyway, this is the second time I hear you claim (yes, claim would be correct here, since you have shown us nothing to back it up) Kamachi is the one who decided Railgun is a stand-alone series. Now... when so many things hint otherwise, with the abundant connections and references between Index and Railgun (if you want me to name some, then go ahead and ask), of course me and other fans of BOTH series won't take that as a the fact you so confidently say it is unless you actually show us some proof of where that confidence comes from.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Along with that, you people don't seem to understand what stand-alone means. It does NOT mean you understand 100% of every single element in something, it means the series is 100% understandable on any relevant level to someone who has no prior knowledge of the material. Railgun is not only from Kamachi's own fucking decision a stand-alone series, but by DEFINITION a stand-alone series. This is not an opinion, this is not debatable, this is a solid fact that has nothing to do with my personal feelings about anything one way or the other. "B-b-b-but it wouldn't be as good" is your only argument and this does not undo the fact that it's still completely understandable and still OFFICIALLY a stand alone series.
>implying there are many irrelevant details
Let me just start by saying: you're wrong.
So. I have this online friend who has been reading the Railgun manga and really enjoying it. Now, despite enjoying it, he was confused about some things such as (spoilers for the Daihaisei arc):
Those are inconsistencies without Index. As said before by ssjokg and CreationBreaker, Touma's power is a huge deus ex machina without it. Heck, even Touma's appearance in the bridge is! What happened there, he went to Mikoto's room because "oh, I met this girl for the first time yesterday so let me just visit her room because something must definitely be wrong and she needs saving... or maybe I'm a stalker... fukou da"?
While for some people, enjoying a series might not depend on the lack of plot-holes, for many, it does. Thus, your "definition" of stand alone series doesn't stand true for everyone. Some of my online friends are watching Railgun S and I had to explain details from Index because they found some things that seemed like bad writing. Now in my books, bad writing is a very valid reason not to enjoy a series. Railgun and Index complement each other. There's no denying that and me and many others can show you countless proves of it.
hontobakaJul 3, 2013 2:10 PM
Jul 3, 2013 2:06 PM

Aug 2009
TallonKarrde23 said:
Once again can you provide any source for this fact?Till now you never did so it is YOUR claim.If you do I will kindly shut up.IF you want so much to make us accept it WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD wont you just post that fact?
And nobody cares about the anime.The LN was VERY popular WAY before ANY of the adaptations and the Railgun manga started.

And btw:
TallonKarrde23 said:

in contrast with this:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Along with that, you people don't seem to understand what stand-alone means. It does NOT mean you understand 100% of every single element in something, it means the series is 100% understandable on any relevant level to someone who has no prior knowledge of the material.

So char development,evasion of DEM and plot holes etc is for you unnecessary and the reader(since Railgun is a manga first and then an anime)should just accept stuff that are happening just because.

If a "cut down" version of a story(like Railgun only Sisters arc) is understandable and "ok" then we should just read the wiki since that is all we need.No need to know why Touma just decided to help,why the clones suddenly
You are basically saying that the readers should just turn their brain off.Thanks but no thanks.

You see, that is the point, the story isnt 100% understandable if you have events happening for the sake of happening.If you only care about what Misaka does then sure it is 100% understandable since she is ONE(and not only)of the chars that the series is for.That doesnt mean that the rest should just exist in it with no reason for their actions.

Takuan_Soho said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

This would also explain why they are reshowing the Touma parts again, far from being a cost saving device, it is actually required to keep the shows on a "Stand Alone" basis.

You explained that very well, kudos.

+1
"But the scenes are from Index,no Misaka POV etc etc."

@Dusk252
somewhat ninja'd
Railgun only readers dont even know who THAT change-of-heart girl is.
I am sure that when Kamachi was creating Railgun he was thinking "Yeah this will be a great hit with Index haters,who I must please since Index doesnt sell enough, so I will also omit most of Kuroko's, and by extension Misaka's, char development who happen to be the main chars of the manga because who wants to know what is going on with them?"
I am sure that he was thinking of people that never read Index when he made it./sarcasm
ssjokgJul 3, 2013 2:58 PM
Jul 3, 2013 2:47 PM
Jul 2010
ssjokg said:
@Dusk252
somewhat ninja'd
Railgun only readers dont even know who THAT change-of-heart girl is.
I don't even see how someone can claim to fully enjoy Railgun knowing the events from Index.
And yeah, for them, right now, she's just someone who randomly mentioned spells with a straight face while being part of an Academy City organization.
Jul 3, 2013 3:15 PM

Mar 2012
Dusk252 said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
CreationBreaker said:

*sigh* Giving up my little "lurker" status to answer this...
Anyway, this is the second time I hear you claim (yes, claim would be correct here, since you have shown us nothing to back it up) Kamachi is the one who decided Railgun is a stand-alone series. Now... when so many things hint otherwise, with the abundant connections and references between Index and Railgun (if you want me to name some, then go ahead and ask), of course me and other fans of BOTH series won't take that as a the fact you so confidently say it is unless you actually show us some proof of where that confidence comes from.

Agreed here. I just got home and over the past 30-45 minutes, I went through all of the Afterwords from the Index LNs, all of the author's notes from the Railgun manga, and his transcribed interviews with regards to Railgun and he never states anything along the lines of Railgun being a stand-alone series in any of them. In fact, he even implies the opposite in this interview: Interview with Kamachi Kazuma and Fuyukawa Motoi from To Aru Majutsu no Index no Subete
Ashen_MikoJul 3, 2013 3:21 PM
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Jul 3, 2013 3:53 PM
Jul 2010
CreationBreaker said:

Agreed here. I just got home and over the past 30-45 minutes, I went through all of the Afterwords from the Index LNs, all of the author's notes from the Railgun manga, and his transcribed interviews with regards to Railgun and he never states anything along the lines of Railgun being a stand-alone series in any of them. In fact, he even implies the opposite in this interview: Interview with Kamachi Kazuma and Fuyukawa Motoi from To Aru Majutsu no Index no Subete
Oh man, that's a whole lot of trouble you went through, but nice thing you seem to have cleared most of my doubts, if any were left, that Tallon had no way of backing up his claims. Though I'm still opened to be proven wrong if he does come up with believable proof.

And yeah, that interview does imply the importance in the connection between both series, specially here:
(image inside the spoiler)

So yeah, thanks for searching that out.^^
Jul 3, 2013 3:53 PM
Oct 2012
CreationBreaker said:

Fukuyawa: This manga came with a lot of passionate fans already attached, so I was—and still am—quite nervous about it. My goal is to be accepted at least a little bit by those fans. I also want to make the manga so people who know nothing of Index can still read it. Not that I’m saying I have a perfect understanding of it myself...

Fukuyawa: As I said before, what I give the most thought to is how to get everything across to readers of this side story manga who have never read Index. If there are any difficult parts to the plot, I add or remove aspects of the plot to make it easier to understand. Kamijou in Chapter 3 is probably the biggest example of that.

Granted this is from the illustrator not the writer, but Kamachi not only doesn't disagree but in thanking Fukuyawa for his input seems to be implying he also wants it to be stand alone for "those who haven't read the novels."

The panties discussion was pretty funny.

Edit: remember "stand alone" doesn't mean that it is different, only that someone can read Railgun and NOT have read Index.
Jul 3, 2013 3:59 PM

Aug 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
CreationBreaker said:

Fukuyawa: This manga came with a lot of passionate fans already attached, so I was—and still am—quite nervous about it. My goal is to be accepted at least a little bit by those fans. I also want to make the manga so people who know nothing of Index can still read it. Not that I’m saying I have a perfect understanding of it myself...

Fukuyawa: As I said before, what I give the most thought to is how to get everything across to readers of this side story manga who have never read Index. If there are any difficult parts to the plot, I add or remove aspects of the plot to make it easier to understand. Kamijou in Chapter 3 is probably the biggest example of that.

Granted this is from the illustrator not the writer, but Kamachi not only doesn't disagree but in thanking Fukuyawa for his input seems to be implying he also wants it to be stand alone for "those who haven't read the novels."

The panties discussion was pretty funny.

Edit: remember "stand alone" doesn't mean that it is different, only that someone can read Railgun and NOT have read Index.
Never said that stand alone is different.

IF they really want it, they arent doing a very good job at it.Especially after the start of the Sisters arc and most importantly in the Daihaisei arc.
And check out the part that Dusk252 posted.
They dont try to separate the two series.
Jul 3, 2013 4:08 PM
Oct 2012
ssjokg said:

IF they really want it, they arent doing a very good job at it.Especially after the start of the Sisters arc and most importantly in the Daihaisei arc.

If they tried to "separate" then that means that they would be different.

"Stand alone" doesn't mean separate. "Stand alone" means that you can watch one thing without having to watch the other thing.

You can watch railgun without having watched index. Everything you need to know to "get" railgun is in railgun, if you never watched index you would still be able to "get" railgun. That is what "stand alone" means

That railgun goes out of its way to re-show how Misaka met Touma, show several of her fights with him (that were only hinted at in index), and are showing her interactions with Touma during this arc shows that they meant Railgun to be "stand alone". Of course these scenes are interesting for those who have watched Index because they show the same thing from a different POV, but they also show that Railgun was meant to be a stand alone series. Things are a little different because people remember things differently. I think Touma's fight with accelerator could be very interesting to watch because this time it will be from Misaka's POV.

But again, that we don't have to watch Index to understand what is happening in Railgun is why railgun is a "stand alone" series. Even if from here on out it duplicates EVERYTHING in Index, but from Misaka's pov and without needing to watch Index to understand it, it would still be a "stand alone" work.
Jul 3, 2013 4:16 PM

Aug 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
ssjokg said:

If they tried to "separate" then that means that they would be different.

"Stand alone" doesn't mean separate. "Stand alone" means that you can watch one thing without having to watch the other thing.

You can watch railgun without having watched index. Everything you need to know to "get" railgun is in railgun, if you never watched index you would still be able to "get" railgun. That is what "stand alone" means

That railgun goes out of its way to re-show how Misaka met Touma, show several of her fights with him (that were only hinted at in index), and are showing her interactions with Touma during this arc shows that they meant Railgun to be "stand alone". Of course these scenes are interesting for those who have watched Index because they show the same thing from a different POV, but they also show that Railgun was meant to be a stand alone series. Things are a little different because people remember things differently. I think Touma's fight with accelerator could be very interesting to watch because this time it will be from Misaka's POV.

But again, that we don't have to watch Index to understand what is happening in Railgun is why railgun is a "stand alone" series. Even if from here on out it duplicates EVERYTHING in Index, but from Misaka's pov and without needing to watch Index to understand it, it would still be a "stand alone" work.

1. We are talking about the source material that when reaches Index's Sister arc just jumps around with Touma appearing out of nowhere to help( and everything I posted above) and continues like this for the next arc.
2.Tallon refuses to accept the idea of the studio to make the anime a "stand alone" by using scenes that CAN make it a "stand alone" just because they are from Index and/or not Misaka.

And the fight isnt from Misaka's POV.

The point is that the studio USED material from Index and didnt just animate the manga as it is.
Jul 3, 2013 4:24 PM
Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
1. We are talking about the source material that when reaches Index's Sister arc just jumps around with Touma appearing out of nowhere to help( and everything I posted above) and continues like this for the next arc.
2.Tallon refuses to accept the idea of the studio to make the anime a "stand alone" by using scenes that CAN make it a "stand alone" just because they are from Index and/or not Misaka.

The point is that the studio USED material from Index and didnt just animate the manga as it is.

I only came in with post 87, and what Tallon said there I agree with. If he said something earlier that disagrees with what he wrote in 87, then I would disagree with him.

Touma didn't "appear out of nowhere", in that railgun made sure to properly introduce him with the graviton bomber and with Misaka's sandwhip scene. I haven't read the manga, so I am not sure what the studio did or didn't do with the animation, but no matter what they did do, the show is still perfectly understandable without having index.
Jul 3, 2013 4:32 PM

Aug 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
ssjokg said:

I only came in with post 87, and what Tallon said there I agree with. If he said something earlier that disagrees with what he wrote in 87, then I would disagree with him.

Touma didn't "appear out of nowhere", in that railgun made sure to properly introduce him with the graviton bomber and with Misaka's sandwhip scene. I haven't read the manga, so I am not sure what the studio did or didn't do with the animation, but no matter what they did do, the show is still perfectly understandable without having index.
I am talking about the Sisters arc.In the manga Touma just
.Basically read post 89's second part.
Railgun S,for now,does a good job on making the anime a stand alone series without having to watch the same arc in Index because they added key scenes from Index.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=622535&show=60#msg23162553
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=622535&show=60#msg23180191

Repeatedly,Tallon refused to accept this because it "wasn't Railgun material".
Tallon doesnt want a "stand alone" Railgun.He wants a Railgun that has nothing to do with Index.
inb4 sophistry.

ssjokgJul 3, 2013 5:05 PM
Jul 4, 2013 12:04 PM
Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=622535&show=60#msg23162553
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=622535&show=60#msg23180191

Repeatedly,Tallon refused to accept this because it "wasn't Railgun material".
Tallon doesnt want a "stand alone" Railgun.He wants a Railgun that has nothing to do with Index.
inb4 sophistry.

Thank you. While Railgun is a "stand alone" show, the two posts of Tallon show that he doesn't understand the concept even IF he did explain it accurately above.

Someone above wrote that the "tree diagram" being destroyed was a huge plot hole. Not really. If destroying it somehow stopped the "Level 6 shift project" then yes it would be a deus ex machina, however since it's destruction had no impact on the plot of railgun, it isn't a deus ex machina.

If Touma shows up out of the blue to support Misaka, that would likewise be a plot hole that would support Railgun not being a "stand alone", but the whole reason why they are re-showing all of Touma's interactions with the various sisters is to explain why he is vested in helping Misaka. If they didn't show this, then Railgun wouldn't be a stand alone series, but that they are is proof of it being stand alone.

Tallon's argument in the two posts you shared were inaccurate, far from this undermining the "stand alone" status, episode 12 was a firm confirmation of it, showing that WAS the author's intent to make Railgun stand alone.
Takuan_SohoJul 4, 2013 12:12 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2013

242 by OniNori »»
Apr 8, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2013

371 by proxima16 »»
Jan 25, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2013

119 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 5:08 AM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2013

99 by WELLERM »»

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2013

125 by WELLERM »»
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.