Forum Settings
Forums

So I saw that my younger cousin and nephew are getting really into anime

New
Jun 28, 2013 2:31 AM
Dec 2012
My nephew leaves stuff like "oyasuminasai" before he goes to sleep on facebook, and they're both part of some sort of "otaku youth" group thing on facebook, and this concerns me.
Now, I know it sounds strange, but please follow me, here. This is in the United States, and if my paranoid thoughts are correct, this will catch on and become a large fad among the youth here, to the point where morning news shows will be doing specials on what anime is and what it's like.
At first, it'll be fine, with it showing shows like naruto, and giving general overviews, which is okay enough, but remember; this is the United States media we're talking about. SUDDENLY, they start talking about ecchi, yaoi, harem, and all that good stuff, like shows that have themes involving incest and shows allegedly meant for lolicons. The media will demonize anime, and older anime watchers, since those are the folk that are most likely to watch the more risque stuff [especially if it's in a seinen comedy.]
In short, the anime watcher in the United States will have the same social standing as the otaku in the days of yore.

^does anyone else think this will happen?

TL;DR: Young folk seem to be taking a vocal liking to anime, I'm pretty sure the U.S. will demonize it and people who love to watch anime.
Join the "I like changing names in IRC" club! Especially if you like changing names in IRC! It's really neat!
Dare to be someone different, many, many times! Dare to dream!
Jun 28, 2013 2:33 AM

Jun 2009
I wouldn't worry so much if I were you.

People will just learn to accept it, much like how the rest of Asia did.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2013 2:40 AM

Feb 2012
Media bastardizes everything anyways. Yup if the anime starts picking up socially then the media will start reporting on shouta-hentai or loli-hentai.

Why you ask? It sounds more dramatic and it's easier to get a positive response when you side with "what's right" most of society will think anime children in a sexual way is completely wrong.

The media will amplify that by saying it will increase pedophilia rates.

While a example that's just the way the world works~
Jun 28, 2013 2:49 AM

May 2013
No. Not at my place atleast.
Forever lost.
Jun 28, 2013 3:34 AM

Apr 2011
If Americans believed in everything the media spouted, they wouldn't allow Muslims to live in the US, would they? The media doesn't show much attention to it, but this "demonisation" of anime already happens, not just in the US, but all over the world. Did you know that there are Christian extremists that demonise Harry Potter? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter because Americans and people from other countries will still watch it.

P.S. you speak as if anime isn't automatically linked to pedophilia already.
Jun 28, 2013 3:45 AM
Dec 2012
yhunata said:
If Americans believed in everything the media spouted, they wouldn't allow Muslims to live in the US, would they? The media doesn't show much attention to it, but this "demonisation" of anime already happens, not just in the US, but all over the world. Did you know that there are Christian extremists that demonise Harry Potter? At the end of the day, it doesn't matter because Americans and people from other countries will still watch it.

I was talking about it in a larger scale sense, like the whole video game violence thing, where it'll be something brought up constantly from now on.
Join the "I like changing names in IRC" club! Especially if you like changing names in IRC! It's really neat!
Jun 28, 2013 3:47 AM

Apr 2011
Plants said:
yhunata said:

I was talking about it in a larger scale sense, like the whole video game violence thing, where it'll be something brought up constantly from now on.

Well, last I checked, it was only the idiotic mothers that blame video games for their sons blowing people up with guns they bought for their 5 year old. Not exactly large scale and it doesn't have any effect on gaming either.
Jun 28, 2013 3:50 AM
Dec 2012
yhunata said:
Plants said:
yhunata said:

Well, last I checked, it was only the idiotic mothers that blame video games for their sons blowing people up with guns they bought for their 5 year old. Not exactly large scale and it doesn't have any effect on gaming either.

True, but it is annoying, either way. I'm even annoyed whenever I hear people mention studies that prove that video games do not promote violence and all that. I guess it's more of a problem with vocal garbage from society, but there's not much anyone could do about that.
Jun 28, 2013 4:08 AM

Jun 2013
It would be no different. Do you think everyone in Japan are otaku? By many Japanese people, otaku are seen to be the scorn of society and 'everything wrong with Japan'. I doubt anything is going to or would change and I'd certainly say it's something petty in the grand scale of things, the media would probably be completely uninterested.
Jun 28, 2013 4:26 AM

May 2013
So? I've been demonized for years because of my gaming habits, and I know many of my friends have experienced the same things. In the end the only thing you can do is stop denying it and stand up for yourself. I mean, stop caring about what other people think and do whatever makes you happy.
Jun 28, 2013 4:27 AM

Jun 2013
Neteyes said:
So? I've been demonized for years because of my gaming habits, and I know many of my friends have experienced the same things. In the end the only thing you can do is stop denying it and stand up for yourself. I mean, stop caring about what other people think and do whatever makes you happy.

Amen.
Jun 28, 2013 6:53 AM

Jan 2013
AirStyles said:

This.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Jun 29, 2013 10:01 PM
Dec 2012
-LLXIII- said:
It would be no different. Do you think everyone in Japan are otaku? By many Japanese people, otaku are seen to be the scorn of society and 'everything wrong with Japan'. I doubt anything is going to or would change and I'd certainly say it's something petty in the grand scale of things, the media would probably be completely uninterested.

I did mention how otaku were at least back then looked at with complete scorn. I didn't mention as much about how they're seen today, as I'd think that by now they'd be looked at in the way most geeks are looked at here. Besides that, what part of my original post gave you any idea that I'd think that everyone in Japan is an otaku? Of course I wouldn't think that, it would be stupid to.
Jun 29, 2013 10:04 PM

Oct 2012
AirStyles said:

I second this. You see no matter where you go you can't avoid judging eyes of the people around you. It's a norm.
Jun 29, 2013 10:08 PM

Jun 2013
Quite the slippery slope, from what I've read. Though it is a possibility, the anime community could care less about the things media spread. Anime is still part of Japanese culture, so I guess if the US media would start bastardizing it, shit could go down.

Jun 29, 2013 10:16 PM

May 2013
If it does spread, the media will demonize it. There is nothing we can do. Besides, Anime already has a bad name due to people making snap judgements.

Also, how old would are your relatives, if you don't mind? How young would you consider this to be for this to happen? Do you think children should be watching Anime? The one thing children love to do is share their interests. That is how this will happen. Kids that are unaware of Anime will hear of it, then tell others, elders will then hear and assume it's threatening to ones growth as a person.

Now, I'm 15, and I assume you mean much younger or perhaps I am wrong?
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 29, 2013 11:04 PM

Jan 2012
Diran-kun said:
If it does spread, the media will demonize it. There is nothing we can do. Besides, Anime already has a bad name due to people making snap judgements.

Also, how old would are your relatives, if you don't mind? How young would you consider this to be for this to happen? Do you think children should be watching Anime? The one thing children love to do is share their interests. That is how this will happen. Kids that are unaware of Anime will hear of it, then tell others, elders will then hear and assume it's threatening to ones growth as a person.

Somehow I doubt they'd demonize it all that much, considering that there have been countless Hollywood movies where a brother and sister actually **** on screen. As for the incest thing, and ecchi... I still doubt it... I mean yeah you wouldn't show it to your kids but honestly how is that retarded show Family Guy any better? Or The Simpsons.

And if it does get demonized... Who cares? How many times has GTA been demonized as teaching youth "crime" and "violence"... Hell, any video game for that matter but GTA is the only prominent one. It's still going strong. What's more irritating than anything is when people decide to put their two cents into a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

As for your concerns... I honestly thought this was a joke. Reading it at first... Mostly because I mean... It seems very unlikely to happen, and not only that but it just doesn't seem like a real concern someone would have.
Jun 29, 2013 11:09 PM

Jun 2012
To my knowledge, this already happens.

I don't see the big deal.
Jun 30, 2013 12:12 AM

May 2013
Ahri said:
Diran-kun said:

Somehow I doubt they'd demonize it all that much, considering that there have been countless Hollywood movies where a brother and sister actually **** on screen. As for the incest thing, and ecchi... I still doubt it... I mean yeah you wouldn't show it to your kids but honestly how is that retarded show Family Guy any better? Or The Simpsons.

And if it does get demonized... Who cares? How many times has GTA been demonized as teaching youth "crime" and "violence"... Hell, any video game for that matter but GTA is the only prominent one. It's still going strong. What's more irritating than anything is when people decide to put their two cents into a subject they know absolutely nothing about.

As for your concerns... I honestly thought this was a joke. Reading it at first... Mostly because I mean... It seems very unlikely to happen, and not only that but it just doesn't seem like a real concern someone would have.
Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not concerned at all. People will always view Anime as a bad thing without knowing a single thing about it.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jun 30, 2013 3:04 AM

Feb 2013
Let them watch Boku no Pico, that will probably change their thinking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2013 1:11 PM

Dec 2012
Neteyes said:

/topic
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

180 by Shizuna »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

96 by DigiCat »»
8 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

23 by Ex-Aid »»
10 minutes ago

» Is "Magnetic Rose" considered a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - 19 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
19 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.