Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 1, 2013 8:24 AM

Mar 2011
MFKAE86 said:
Mecha and Shounen a la Naruto

This.
Jul 1, 2013 8:29 AM

May 2008
beavis2323 said:
sports because i dont really like sports in real life

Anime sports >>> RL sports
Jul 1, 2013 12:16 PM

May 2013
Yaoi, because i really don't want to see that.
Jul 1, 2013 12:49 PM

Apr 2012
reira93 said:
MaxY- said:

You shouldn't be surprised,young grasshopper. I actually believe that guys are more into shoujo than girls are.

WAT!?
that'd be so cute... if it were true
It's true, at least on my end.

Granted, I haven't seen too many, but I do really like the genre. It always warms my heart to see a relationship form and whatnot.
anyway i avoid mecha and shows based purely on moe(actually it has been bugging me for some time, why is moe that popular? i like cute girls too but moe..? there are other ways to create cute girls, right? btw by moe i mean the loli-moe type recently we see a lot)
I don't outright avoid mecha, but I tend to do a lot more research and look a lot more closely at reviews/plot for mecha shows before I watch them.

As far as the moe goes, I'm not sure what you mean by loli-moe. I have an idea, but too many people mistakenly think that loli and moe are one and the same or somehow even remotely related (which they're not), so it's sometimes too difficult to understand who is actually talking about what.

Anyhow, sure, there are plenty of moe shows coming out recently, but I honestly have not seen a single one that exists solely to display the cute girls (except possibly Tamako Market). They usually try to extend some level of comedy or possibly drama to tell a story or entertain the audience (note that just because one doesn't think the comedy is funny does not make a show a moeblob, unlike what haters of shows like Lucky Star would like you to believe).

Putting aside the fact that moe isn't really even a genre, a show that truly was only focused on moe would just be a cute girl walking and looking really cute for half an hour. I'd be hard pressed to find an anime that actually meets that standard of literally nothing happening except for showing off cute girls (now that would be freaking boring). Are there any examples of what the typical person thinks of as a moeblob (something that isn't always blindly parroted, like a certain show that rhymes with Play-On)?

Every genre has its gems, so I wouldn't discount a show based simply on that (unless it's a hentai, but that's different).

Jul 1, 2013 2:08 PM

Apr 2012
Sports and Mecha i guess!

Mecha beacuse i don't like the idea of 2 giant robots fighting in mid air,although i watched a few mecha here and there and they weren't that bad!

Sports because i don't like the idea of sports in anime,strangely enough i love doing sports in real life!

So yeah,it's not that they are bad,just there's something that makes me to avoid those anime :D
Jul 1, 2013 2:13 PM

Oct 2012
Warphate said:
Sports because i don't like the idea of sports in anime,strangely enough i love doing sports in real life!

This is what I thought 'til I watched Hajime no Ippo which became one of my favorite series!
Jul 1, 2013 2:14 PM
Jul 2012
natssuu said:
Warphate said:

This is what I thought 'til I watched Hajime no Ippo which became one of my favorite series!

And One outs too. That is the best!.
Jul 1, 2013 2:15 PM

Sep 2011
Ecchi, Harem, Magic, Mecha, Yuri
Jul 1, 2013 2:23 PM

May 2013
GoldenBRS said:
natssuu said:
Warphate said:

And One outs too. That is the best!.

Indeed. What was so great about One Outs was that Tokuchi's knowledge could be applied to pretty much anything, not just baseball.
Jul 1, 2013 7:49 PM
Mar 2013
Sports. I just don't like sports.
Jul 1, 2013 7:53 PM

Dec 2012
Mecha. Mecha is boring.
Jul 1, 2013 8:34 PM

Jun 2013
Animes with too much romance are annoying.
Jul 1, 2013 8:52 PM

Sep 2011
I used to HATE sport anime until Chihayafuru came out. Everyone who says sports needs to check that sht out! Surprisingly good.
Jul 1, 2013 9:40 PM

Jun 2012
Yep, can't say I hate sports because Chihayafuru is pretty damn good.

Basically just yuri.
You do not wish to destroy others,
you simply wish to destroy yourself.
Jul 1, 2013 10:14 PM

Jun 2011
Harem. All of them (or at least all of the ones I've watched) are absurd and extremely generic. They're fun to watch with a friend though; ridiculing the unlikable characters and numerous perverted situations makes for great comedy.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jul 1, 2013 10:26 PM

Nov 2012
Mecha and Sci-fi. I've never watched a Sports anime other than Kuroko no Basuke and it was pretty good.
Jul 1, 2013 10:47 PM

May 2013
Shoujo, I think it's the most boring shit ever.
Jul 1, 2013 10:54 PM

Dec 2012
UnexpectedOtaku said:

That would be a demographic, not a genre.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 1, 2013 11:21 PM

Dec 2011
Sports (minus Ro Kyu Bu,Bamboo Blade, and maybe Free) they are kind of boring.
MitsukiHimekaJul 2, 2013 6:12 PM
Jul 1, 2013 11:52 PM

Feb 2013
Not too fond of mecha. I'll still watch them but I tend to avoid them.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jul 2, 2013 6:07 PM

Mar 2012
I usually avoid mecha and sports anime.
Also music, even if it's some concert in an anime, I'd just skip the part.
Jul 2, 2013 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
Harem and ecchi stuff
Jul 2, 2013 6:33 PM

Jul 2012
baseball, whatever voodoo would fall under.
Jul 2, 2013 7:58 PM

May 2011
MoeGalacticHero said:
UnexpectedOtaku said:

That would be a demographic, not a genre.

It sure as hell acts like one.
Jul 2, 2013 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
Yaoi. Cause Im so damn homophobe.
Jul 2, 2013 8:05 PM

Jun 2012
Not necessarily a genre, but anime that rely to heavily on dialogue and if you don't like the protagonist you'll basically hate the whole show.
Jul 2, 2013 8:06 PM

Nov 2012
robot and shit! -_-

stupid robot -_- I dont like robot
Jul 2, 2013 8:37 PM

Sep 2012
wzrd said:
Yaoi. Cause Im so damn homophobe.
You should read Acid Town. It's shounen ai, but that's not really the priority of the plot. It's really good.

MEanimaniac1 said:
if you don't like the protagonist you'll basically hate the whole show.
This is why most harem/ecchi shows are destined for failure right from the get go.

Not necessarily because the protagonist is unlikable (although that sometimes is the case), but because the protagonist isn't the main character.

The story isn't about them. The story is about their experiences with various other characters of the opposite sex.

And these characters of the opposite sex get all the "attention", so to speak. They get all of the development. They get backstories. They get the most vibrant characterization. They get the most screen time. They are the main characters. The writers care more about them. They have the priority when it comes to characters.

But when side characters are given more priority and attention than the protagonist, the viewer automatically is more interested with those side characters, thus becoming bored of and not caring about the protagonist.

And if the audience doesn't care about the protagonist, than any sort of tension or drama (i.e., anything that holds the reader's interest), involving that character is instantly dissolved. And since they are the protagonist, they are involved in every instance of drama or tension in the story.

So ultimately, right from the start, the audience is destined to not give a damn about that story.

I'm not saying that I have a problem with secondary characters getting development, but when the "main" character has significantly less development, or the audience cares significantly less about them than the other side characters, that character shouldn't be the main character. The ones with the most development should be the main character.

Actually, a harem anime from one of the girl's point of view would be pretty interesting. And I don't mean reverse harem, I mean like a traditional harem, but the lone guy character isn't the protagonist. He's the romantic interest, with a plethora of female romantic rivals.

In that type of story, the audience might actually root for the main character, and actually be happy when they get with their romantic interest, feeling satisfied and accomplished. And with lots of female love rivals, the ecchi fan-service that all the virgin perverts love could still be part of the story. Actually, with a female protagonist, fan-service would actually be easier to achieve (and wouldn't have the need for a male character's point of view, sparing us all the oh so funny scenes with perverted misunderstandings and embarrassment-fueled physical abuse).

As opposed to merely watching a central character we don't care about interact with a bunch of characters we like, reducing it to picking your favorite candy out of a box of assorted chocolates.
Red_KeysJul 2, 2013 8:41 PM
Jul 2, 2013 8:53 PM

Jun 2012
Red_Keys said:

MEanimaniac1 said:
if you don't like the protagonist you'll basically hate the whole show.
This is why most harem/ecchi shows are destined for failure right from the get go.

Not necessarily because the protagonist is unlikable (although that sometimes is the case), but because the protagonist isn't the main character.

The story isn't about them. The story is about their experiences with various other characters of the opposite sex.

And these characters of the opposite sex get all the "attention", so to speak. They get all of the development. They get backstories. They get the most vibrant characterization. They get the most screen time. They are the main characters. The writers care more about them. They have the priority when it comes to characters.

But when side characters are given more priority and attention than the protagonist, the viewer automatically is more interested with those side characters, thus becoming bored of and not caring about the protagonist.

And if the audience doesn't care about the protagonist, than any sort of tension or drama (i.e., anything that holds the reader's interest), involving that character is instantly dissolved. And since they are the protagonist, they are involved in every instance of drama or tension in the story.

So ultimately, right from the start, the audience is destined to not give a damn about that story.

I'm not saying that I have a problem with secondary characters getting development, but when the "main" character has significantly less development, or the audience cares significantly less about them than the other side characters, that character shouldn't be the main character. The ones with the most development should be the main character.

Actually, a harem anime from one of the girl's point of view would be pretty interesting. And I don't mean reverse harem, I mean like a traditional harem, but the lone guy character isn't the protagonist. He's the romantic interest, with a plethora of female romantic rivals.

In that type of story, the audience might actually root for the main character, and actually be happy when they get with their romantic interest, feeling satisfied and accomplished. And with lots of female love rivals, the ecchi fan-service that all the virgin perverts love could still be part of the story. Actually, with a female protagonist, fan-service would actually be easier to achieve (and wouldn't have the need for a male character's point of view, sparing us all the oh so funny scenes with perverted misunderstandings and embarrassment-fueled physical abuse).

As opposed to merely watching a central character we don't care about interact with a bunch of characters we like, reducing it to picking your favorite candy out of a box of assorted chocolates.

I agree for the most part, except in most harem anime the females aren't any deeper of characters than the protagonist(To Love Ru, Rosario+Vampire etc. I haven't read the manga fro the but in the anime none of the girls are great characters aside from their appearance.)

And showing a harem from one of the girl's point of view would make it better, and more interesting. Forget all the slapstick humor as well and make it a show on the psychological effects of being in a polygamy relationship. But no harem is focused on that, well the ones that I've seen. It would make the genre better as a whole if there were some harem like that out there...that wasn't a reverse harem.

I usually do root for one of the females but some harems have inconclusive endings(Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Rosario+Vampire) "Misunderstandings" in harems are annoying but they're everywhere, and could be explained easily but they're not.
Jul 2, 2013 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
Not necessarily a genre, but anime that rely to heavily on dialogue and if you don't like the protagonist you'll basically hate the whole show.
I'm sure lots of people hate Shinji but like Evangelion regardless
Jul 2, 2013 9:03 PM

Jun 2012
Romario3210 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

He wasn't that bad of a character to me. There are bigger pussies in anime than that.
Jul 2, 2013 9:09 PM

Jan 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
Romario3210 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

He wasn't that bad of a character to me. There are bigger pussies in anime than that.
Doesn't matter if you don't hate him, your statement is wrong. I was just using that example because it's true that many people can dislike the main character and still like the show.
Jul 2, 2013 9:13 PM

Jun 2012
Romario3210 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Romario3210 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Not necessarily a genre, but anime that rely to heavily on dialogue and if you don't like the protagonist you'll basically hate the whole show. In my opinion

Doesn't matter if you don't hate him, your statement is wrong. I was just using that example because it's true that many people can dislike the main character and still like the show.

I fixed it ._.
Jul 2, 2013 9:31 PM

Jun 2013
Sport. uh.
Jul 2, 2013 9:49 PM

Sep 2011
MEanimaniac1 said:
Romario3210 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

That's very questionable.
Jul 2, 2013 9:53 PM

May 2012
Yaoi and sports.

Then again, I don't think I've seen a sports anime to say that they suck.
Jul 8, 2013 1:19 PM

Jan 2012
ziga1221 said:
Lucia-sama said:
ziga1221 said:
Lucia-sama said:
Though it sounds wierd because i'm a girl, i usually try to avoid Shoujo, only a few gets across the line;)

Surprised??😜

Well not really, everyone has their own preferences anyways. Still, which ones are your favs from that genre :D?

Tora dora, kaichou wa maid-sama, hentai ouji to warawanai neko and chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai! And i don't mind that there's a bit if romance in some of the other genres it just don't have to fill that much😊
Jul 8, 2013 2:39 PM

Jul 2013
Shoujo. Definitely shoujo. And Yaoi.
scytheavatar said:
Trying to cater to the Fujoshis have always been a dumb thing to do anyway, only fools would pretend to understand how they work. If anything Attack on Titan appeals to them a lot more than F**** will, looking at all the Attack on Titan Yaoi that's popping up.
Jul 8, 2013 2:43 PM

Feb 2012
just Mecha...
Jul 8, 2013 3:00 PM

Jul 2012
Usually the Sci-fi/Mecha and the god stuff, even though I do end up watching it. Scifi/Mecha had one of my faves Gurren Laggan, and pretty bad shows like Gargantia. The god genere I am talking about is like that crap Sasami-san and RDG fall into.
Jul 8, 2013 3:42 PM

May 2012
Mecha/Space/Futuristic

Mecha animes are just too generic and dull for me! They seem repetative and the characters are boring too. I don't get any excitement over two mechas fighting, it just doesn't par up to a sword fight. I do like Gundam (all of the series/movies) and Appleseed though.
Jul 8, 2013 3:45 PM

Oct 2012
SuperImpact said:
Yaoi and sports.

Just watch Hajime no Ippo man, just watch Ippo
Jul 8, 2013 3:47 PM

Jul 2013
sports I guess
and also mindless shounen with random battles like gurren laggan...

:/
Jul 8, 2013 3:50 PM

Feb 2012
Yaoi and sports for pretty much the same reasons everyone else said.
Jul 8, 2013 3:59 PM

Dec 2012
I avoid these 3 kinds of anime:

- Anything with over 60-70 episodes or so... especially Naruto, Bleach and One piece.
- Anything with Sports as the main topic.
- Bloody and way to serious War/Crime anime... unless they have just a little bit of fantasy/comedy/supernatural. I like shows such as Code Geass and Darker than black.

Why? - Well... i just don't tend to watch them...
Jul 8, 2013 4:06 PM

May 2013
I avoid yuri and yaoi. I don't really like anything to do with that..
I used to avoid sports anime until I randomly decided to watch Knight in the area, which led me to watch kuroko no basket. both great sports anime.
Jul 8, 2013 4:14 PM

Nov 2010
natssuu said:
SuperImpact said:
Yaoi and sports.

Just watch Hajime no Ippo man, just watch Ippo
Second that.
Jul 8, 2013 5:13 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Locked
anime discussion rules said:
Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, simple listing, etc.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 12 minutes ago

5 by TheMangaManiac »»
38 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

197 by ISeeLifePeople »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
26 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
32 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.