Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 30, 2010 5:26 PM

May 2008
I don't mind that it wasn't a "happily ever after" ending, but I agree that it was kind of odd that she chose to go back to earth while also intending to love Van until she dies. It's like... Nothing's *forcing* you apart, so you're actively choosing to have some sort of psychic LDR until you die? Why is this, now?
Nov 11, 2010 2:56 PM

Dec 2007
Meh. Dilandau was my favorite character, and he got an awesome end, so I'm set. :D
Jan 29, 2011 3:45 AM

Jul 2008
I like cliche happily ever after endings. thats what i wanted. all other endings are frustrating.

in my book, I will just ignore it. blah blah, she still can travel back and forth, cause it makes no sense to leave the person you love for no apparent reason.

overall a great show. ha, funny how 2 minutes of an ending can mess things up.
Feb 6, 2011 12:57 PM

Sep 2007
To begin, because I finished Inuyasha before finishing this series, I feel like I am more prepared to accept this kind of ending. Hey, there's a lot of life left to live for both of them. I honestly think that Van and Hitomi will not only be able to see each other again, but they will meet again. in fact, they'll probably get together later in life. after all, they're both only 14, and that would have quite bogus if hitomi just disappeared from Earth forever without so much as goodbye to her friends and family, right? Man, if only there was a post Escaflowne special or something of the sort!
Feb 26, 2011 2:24 AM
Apr 2008
Inevitably I end up feeling the same every time I rewatch the series: I love it, but absolutely LOATHE the ending. My god, why? At least give a good explanation. I mean they developed the rest of the story so well, to stick and ending like that on for the main characters (whose love saved the world!) seems like a joke to me. :S
KaikenMay 30, 2014 7:31 PM
Apr 9, 2011 4:22 AM

Feb 2010
WingZero1223 said:
To begin, because I finished Inuyasha before finishing this series, I feel like I am more prepared to accept this kind of ending. Hey, there's a lot of life left to live for both of them.

Seconded. In every other aspect the series is also great. Although it receives much misunderstanding, judging from other comments. I think, if viewer could see it from characters' point of view and also with their respective eyes (not through viewers's own (dis)abilities and stereotypes), there would be more sense to get of the whole picture.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jun 17, 2011 9:12 AM

May 2008
Wow... I hate this ending so badly... and there is only one solution for me which is to think up an alternative ending and try to believe it's the real one... the only problem being that I fail at writing it down but otherwise it won't work.

So lets see, after the war ended and the fate machine was destroyed Hitomi stays in Gaea for another one and a half month. Together with Van they search for the old citizens of Fanelia and start the process of rebuilding it. A statue for Folken & Balgus is build and we see Hitomi sitting with Van on a rooftop near the statue looking at earth. Slowly Van turns towards Hitomi and asks her "Will you take me there sometimes?". Hitomi thinks for awhile and then firmly nods. Both of them lie down flat on the roof and Van grabs Hitomi's hand, as the camera moves away from them lights starts to swirl around them creating a pillar of light. From the side of the house Merle rushes after them followed by another catman/child, yet by the time they arrive at the pillar Van and Hitomi are long gone and she cries out towards the earth "See you!" and waves energetically.
Having returned to earth Van & Hitomi find themselves in the darkness looking at themselves fighting an earth dragon. Not knowing what's happening they look as their other selves disappear. First in shock, but after awhile fearing for Hitomi, Yukari and Amano cry out for her. Together with Van she stumbles out of the bushes and Yukari asks her "What in the world happened?". At a loss of words she looks at Van and together they suddenly know without doubt that it's not yet the right time to reveal the secrets of Gaea and atlantis. To achieve this Himoni walks up to Yukari and whispers something into her ear, Yukari eyes become bigger and she blushes feverly. Next she pulls off Amano-sensei and we see Himoni and Van walking down the hill without saying a single word.
[subtiles here :P]
In the last shot we see lots of people gathered, yet they are too small to figure out whether we are on Earth or on Gaea, as the crowd quietens down, we hear in the background "Van Fanel, king of Fanelia, and Hitomi Kanzaki, daughter of the Mystic Moon, will you take each other as husband and wi..." as slowly the audio fades out entirely. Silence. Then suddenly everybody starts cheering and the camera finally moves up showing us a kissing couple.

Yep, absolutely cliche, but that's the way it actually happened :) and btw, for those who even consider the ending in the series to be the real one, realize how badly Hitomi wanted to be with Van, do you truly think that after all that she would be so fine with leaving him again? And of course she wanted to go back to earth, but what Allen's father only realized by the time he died, Hitomi and Van realized when they had split up last time.
GreatSJun 17, 2011 9:41 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2011 7:18 PM

May 2010
So much potential...7/10
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 15, 2012 7:09 PM

Apr 2011
I know the ending made it seem like they'll never see each other again, but... thats not really true, is it? I mean they can still see each other with their minds... and I'm pretty sure Van can use that drag-engerist, along with his thoughts and feelings to open a new portal, right? The anime never said anything about that not being possible any more.

Still, I guess they wanted the anime to leave you with sad, remorseful feelings. I don't know why... but that's the feeling I got from it.

9/10
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Apr 8, 2012 10:50 PM
Apr 2012
I actually liked the ending. Not initially, but when I thought about it the ending was appropriate. It showed how much Hitomi had grown that she was now able to recognize that her feelings for Van shouldn't overshadow her life. She willingly leaves him because she knows to do otherwise would hurt the people who care about her on Earth. Plus it leaves open the possibility of her returning later in life.

It's a bittersweet ending, and kind of an unexpected downer. But I think it both suits the series and really shows the depth of their relationship and growth of both Van and Hitomi as people.
May 21, 2012 8:02 PM
May 2012
I think the ending was good enough as it stands. Hitomi made her decision to go back to the Mystic Moon because of the people, friends and families that cared about her so she couldn't just abandon them for good. Pretty much it left the answer out whether that feather in the end indicates that Hitomi had returned to Gaea once again to meet Van or just a speculation of moving on.

Also, there are some things in this show that is left unanswered that we never get to find out. Remember that CD Driver Hitomi found in one of the markets that she isn't the only one that ends up on Gaea in EP.6? As well, what about those WWII-Planes that were left inside one of Zaibach's research labs in EP.18? What were they all doing here? Did they just happen to appear on Gaea similar to that of Zero no Tsukaima where you have Earth's weaponry that suddenly appeared in Louise world.

Also, during the Playstation cutscenes, we see Van, Hitomi and Folken's Fortress end up on Tokyo just to alert the military which had a lot of potential that was cut off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twjKtk75omo

It'd be cool if they actually did made an extended episode length where Zaibach at some point had plans to invade the Mystic Moon starting off at Tokyo just to get the Japanese Self-Defense Force and the Military in general involved to battle against Zaibach. Though of course, any Modern Military Tech we have could annihilate anything shown in Escaflowne. Of course, that isn't the whole point, but just to point out some interesting facts here.
Jul 20, 2012 6:58 PM

Oct 2010
...no kiss between Van and Hitomi? Realising her love for Van only to return to Earth when she would've gained more from staying at Gaea?

Conclusion wasn't the best, and I found the fate altering machine a bit silly... but I'd still recommend it despite some of its flaws. I give it an 8 out of 10 for now.
Sep 13, 2012 8:17 PM
Oct 2011
i will talk about parts of the ending OTHER then the final scene cause this needs to be heard. I liked they way they handled the whole magical a-bomb aftermath. Japan tends to think of itself as victim for getting nuked as the war was "Essentially" won by america, and overlook the fact that they initiated a war of aggression, committed NUMEROUS war crimes, and were planning to resit the coming invasion down to the last CHILD. Heck they are taught in school that the war crimes never even HAPPENED> Part of the Bushido "never go back" thing i dunno. This tends to show up in anime a lot where only bad guys use nukes and nuke equivalents. However here it is shown the good guys using it out of desperation against the bad guys, while still acknowledging why zaibach/Japan would think it is overkill and not deny ing it at all.

Other thoughts on why the Zone Of Absolute Fortune or ZOAF made things worse. After World War II america and the Soviet Union, reluctant allies that they were, PROBABLY wanted to go at it. But at the same time knew that after all that war it made MUCH more sense to just stop fighting and rebuild. IN other words they PUT ASIDE THEIR WISHES. HOWEVER, the ZOAF MADE THIER WISHES TO FIGHT INTO REALITY. So instead of having peace war continued.
Feb 21, 2013 4:37 PM

Nov 2012
i actually really, really enjoyed the ending. there were some loose (but not particularly important) threads still hanging around just waiting to be resolved, but overall i think this ended the series on a surprisingly high note. very beautifully directed, wonderfully scored (as usual) + some sort of resolution for each of the characters. that's all i was really looking for tbh.
Mar 9, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2009
The fight between Van and Allen was really unexpected, I loved it! With the amazing battle theme song we herd a couple of time in the beginning of the serie, my heart stopped!
Besides that, I gotta agree with pretty much everyone. I wished for a better ending...

I give it a 8/10
Beautiful animation, Amazing soundtrack, Awesome characters, Interesting story. <3
Jun 2, 2013 7:25 PM

May 2013
Overall enjoyed the anime and kind of felt that the ending would turn out this way.
The way it was written just seemed as if she would ultimately choose to go home in the end.
ah well, 8/10, was a very good watch.
thrill4thisApr 25, 2016 3:59 AM
Jun 5, 2013 6:29 PM
Apr 2012
Seriously, f@ck this shiz. I watched the entire series only to have it end with them being all "I love you! Let's live on different worlds and never see each other again". I mean seriously, they couldn't pull a Red River and just have her stay with him? bulllllllllllll >.<
Jun 12, 2013 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Lol.

Anyway I like the ending, rewatching this series surely brought back nostalgia.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 29, 2013 2:44 PM

Feb 2011
I really liked this series, though after all of the emphasis on the strength of their love, I admit I fall into the "ending bummed me out a little" group. In hindsight, it does make sense for Hitomi to return to her home where her friends and family are, since she is still young and her original uprooting was unexpected. We saw how worried her friends were (though her mother not so much). It would have been unfair for her to leave them to suffer like that, not knowing what happened to her and if she was okay. I just wish her "good-bye" didn't sound so final, with the whole "I will never forget about you."

I do feel like she and Van have the teleportation thing figured out better than past parties, especially with their bond being so strong, so I'd like to think Hitomi will go back to be with Van one day.
Jul 24, 2013 11:23 PM

Oct 2007
I don't know what's up with the people in this thread and where their priorities are or why the fuck it matters if there was a kiss or not but I don't know how it's possible to see this ending and not find it memorable. Guess it's just the age of some people
Jul 28, 2013 4:45 PM

Nov 2008
When I first watched this I was 13. I didn't like how Hitomi left either. I'm now 24 and this series is still my favorite. I also appreciate the ending a lot more than I did.

It was only recently I realized how the ending mirrored the beginning of the series. In the first episode, she is upset because her crush is moving to another country. The last episode, she figures out that she LOVES Van but accepts that he will be apart from her because they both have their duties and ties to their home. It shows how she matured throughout the whole series. For her to stay, it destroys that character. If she stayed, do you think Van would be happy to let her give up her family? Especially her little brother? Van hated Folken and did not give him a chance..and then he died. I'm sure Van regrets that with all his heart..to have Hitomi sacrifice her family is very out of character, since he no longer has family (Only Merle now, and no longer has Balgus)

As for no kiss..Miyazaki has never shown the leading lovers kiss, for example. I think it adds to the purity of their relationship and being based more on emotions than physical. It would have been nice if they kissed but I also appreciate that they didn't.

Hitomi is a very real person..she constantly said how she missed her family (Mom in particular) and her friends. So why wouldn't she go back? She had a great time on Gaea (and also some pretty bad times) but her home is Earth. Also, someone said she seemed closer with the people on Gaea than on Earth..that's only because we the audience have only seen one episode of her life on Earth. Try to imagine leaving everyone you love behind, never to talk to again.
Also, if you think about it..by her staying on Gaea, she is sacrificing her lifespan if she were to ever return to Earth. Its kind of freaky.
hitomi-kanzakiJul 28, 2013 4:49 PM
Oct 6, 2013 10:34 AM

Oct 2009
Wow that sucked, thank god its over though. It started out so good and it just got worse and worse, towards the end i didn't even care what was happening anymore. Hitomi has to be one of the worst and annoying characters ever. Waste of potential, time, talent and money. I usually love these kind of setting and stories but this was so bad.

4.5/10 = 5/10

Hopefully the movie won't be so disappointing.
Nov 11, 2013 11:09 PM

Dec 2011
Pretty darn good series, but I felt the best part was the beginning. I understand why it ended that way, and I understand that Hitomi was just a teenage girl trying to figure out who she is and whatnot, but I still can't help but feel a bit annoyed at her character... It's just that every sentence that comes out of her mouth through the entire 26 episodes is either about love, doubting her friends, or making a naive mistake. And after 26 episodes of her obsessing over trying to find love for her desperate little heart (going through 3 different guys I might add), what does she do when she finds it? She leaves...

Again I understand that it's more realistic for her to be the way she is, and it makes sense to go home. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be annoyed by it either way. I think perhaps it was just a bit overkill with the 'Hitomi feels'. But hell I, still give this an 8/10 overall. It was imaginative, great action, atmosphere and adventure. Plus I just happen to like mecha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2014 3:43 PM
Feb 10, 2014 4:56 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
They could had extented the ending more, to give it closure, which it lacks a bit... I already knew the anime had a bad ending before even starting to watch, I knew that the main cast wouldnt be together by rthe end, so I was already expecting that, otherwise I would had been pretty pissed at it! Like Fate/Stay night BS ending... and there were some plotholes, but the thing that I most hated was the machine destiny plot, and folken fanel death, it was stupidly done! Overal great series.
PlaycoolFeb 10, 2014 5:38 PM
May 14, 2014 6:50 AM
Dec 2012
Jallie58 said:
Seriously, f@ck this shiz. I watched the entire series only to have it end with them being all "I love you! Let's live on different worlds and never see each other again". I mean seriously, they couldn't pull a Red River and just have her stay with him? bulllllllllllll >.<

I know, right? Like Red River please. But no. The ending... they just had to choose to end it like that...

anonforuz said:
I like cliche happily ever after endings. thats what i wanted. all other endings are frustrating.

in my book, I will just ignore it. blah blah, she still can travel back and forth, cause it makes no sense to leave the person you love for no apparent reason.

overall a great show. ha, funny how 2 minutes of an ending can mess things up.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you, too...

Just that afterwards, I read a post about the whole series and realized that perhaps, maybe, the ending was indeed just right... Something that I will quote here...

"You can see at the end how Hitomi found peace of mind in non-attachment. Non-attachment is the beautiful monistic Vision which crowns all of Hitomi's lesser visions. Non-attachment means one world, not two. By the end of the story, it's not logical to say that Hitomi has to choose between Earth and Gaea. Gaea and Van are in her heart, so she can leave them both without remorse, because there's no such thing as parting when two worlds have become one."

Yep, I have a heavy gut wrenching feeling in my chest right now but... yeah. One of these days, I will move on.
May 30, 2014 4:04 PM
Jan 2011
Wow so many people don't understand how beautiful this ending is. She is only 15 she has her entire life ahead of her, same for Van. Of course the two of them isn't going to settle down and get married and be in a happily ever after ending. This isn't even close to the end of their story, she wants to go to college get a career. He has to rebuild his country from scratch and Gaea is a mess at the moment, it would be highly improbable for them to be happily ever after. There will be some way in the future for them to be reunited I believe!
Jun 18, 2014 7:15 AM

Dec 2013
eien_kiseki said:
Wow so many people don't understand how beautiful this ending is. She is only 15 she has her entire life ahead of her, same for Van. Of course the two of them isn't going to settle down and get married and be in a happily ever after ending. This isn't even close to the end of their story, she wants to go to college get a career. He has to rebuild his country from scratch and Gaea is a mess at the moment, it would be highly improbable for them to be happily ever after. There will be some way in the future for them to be reunited I believe!

Women in Japan can get married at the age of 16 years of age; and in the 90's it was still a well practiced thing. You can see this common theme in a lot of romance manga and anime coming from that time. But yes, from a Western point of view you are correct. She's 15 and she has her entire life ahead of her. From a Japanese culture point of view -- if she loved him, she would have stayed and started her life and family then and there. I mean, at 16 you can legally get married and drop out of high school to become a house wife!

As far as colleges and careers are concerned in Japan, most women may go to college but they don't really pick a career to stick with the rest of their lives. It's still common that a woman will quit her job and become a house wife after getting married -- and unfortunately there are still gender role jobs here in Japan. Women work in the office ("OL" or, "Office Lady"), kindergarten teacher, or some part time job and men have more many jobs like being a doctor, engineer. It wasn't until about 2.5 years ago that my town started allowing women to drive trains and buses. Women can be cops, but they're mostly stuck at the police station doing office work and taking care of walk-in problems.

All I am saying is from a Japanese culture standpoint, taking into consideration how life was in the 90's, it was a very strange ending. But perhaps they were trying to empower women a little more with a message like, "See, you don't need a man to be happy."

When her friends were remarking about how Yukari and Amano were together and how they made the perfect couple, you could see Hitomi react slightly, but then she saw Van in her memories and smiled because she had experienced love and she was happy with at least having experienced it -- and she was happy with herself. I think for a good portion of the show she wasn't happy with herself, nor did she really even understand or accept herself. It wasn't until she allowed herself to trust others' and trust her own emotions, instead of seeking out answers in something (or as I saw it, making up answers and reasons).

Gaea is a place that makes dreams and peoples' will come true -- especially with the outside influence of Hitomi. It's not that her card readings were correct -- it's that the fact she did them and made up reasons/answers about what they meant -- that brought them about. Her anxieties and fears fueled things in either positive or negative ways. It seems like Hitomi has a special connection to Gaea, but the anime only seemed to touch a little on the subject.
"I go to seek a great perhaps."
Jul 12, 2014 2:40 AM

Dec 2013
hmmm that was a weak ending. There are some profound points but this ending, like the entire show doesn't reach its potential. This show could use a re-make.

still I'll probably give it an 8.

The music for the entire series as well as the ending was just phenomenal, and so was the animation.
DaydreamHeroJul 12, 2014 2:53 AM
Love and Peace!!!
Oct 7, 2014 10:01 PM

Apr 2011
Can I just say this so I can stop reading about how 'Van is in her memories' and junk like that. In the very last scene, what she is seeing truly is Van, they can telepathically see each others soul if they both desire it.
[I am so assuming that she sees him all the time based on her chill reaction.]
Also, come on u guys, he has her necklace, he can probably go and get her if they both ever to decide to get hitched. Lets be real. [btw this totally happens someday, I strongly believe that. Fated lovers don't marry other people in this show, no way.]

When I first saw this the ending gave me extreme heartache, I cried for like a week, but it's been a couple of years and I've rewatched the series. The ending isn't so sad as you think, the dialogue is sad, but what they actually show and imply by the end of it all isn't so depressing if you pay attention. :]
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Dec 19, 2014 2:54 AM

Jan 2011
I expected more of a solid Van and Hitomi ending :/ I liked how they approached romance realistically but I wanted it to have a better ending...

Series was still good but awwww we got no kiss
Dec 19, 2014 3:56 AM

Apr 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I don't know what's up with the people in this thread and where their priorities are or why the fuck it matters if there was a kiss or not but I don't know how it's possible to see this ending and not find it memorable. Guess it's just the age of some people

The problem is modern anime with too much moe and SAO fanboys who can't appreciate a solid ending without bullshit sequels.
Feb 26, 2015 7:46 PM

Jan 2012
Hmm just looking at this ending, it is pretty lame and terrible. I loved this anime, but those last several minutes just ruined so much at first thought. However I can't help but have hope and faith that Hitome will eventually return, she said that the she wants to see Gaea and Fanelia with Van, Van agreed, and that she loves him. Van said that they can see each other anytime they want as long as their thoughts are strong enough. I think that she is merely returning to earth for now, but will return to Gaea soon enough, not to mention she has already taken a few trips there and back. Thinking like this, which I believe, it saves the ending.
Apr 13, 2015 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
Despite a slow ass start and some "questionable" decisions by the writers, not to mention a lot of WTF moment's, but despite all that I still had a fun ride with the series.
linkjokerApr 13, 2015 9:37 PM
Apr 27, 2015 8:42 PM

Feb 2013
(finished rewatching again)

"Was it all just a dream?" - The starting line of the early episodes. Did it really happen or not? It's up to each individual viewer to decide for themselves (though, there are some really big hints that it was all in her head).

Things to keep in mind:
-What was the topic when we saw Hitomi in class? Newton.
-Amano -> Allen, Yukari -> Milerna (obvious)
-This is shoujo. I didn't know this the first few times I watched it, but now that I know, the themes are obvious: Love and the power of dreams plus the knight (Allen) and the ruffian king (Van) with the wings of an angel to make up the members of the reverse-harem.

Dilandau lost fast, but the Van vs Allen fight was great. (notice the OP scene)

I really love the way this anime ends, and it remains one of my favorites.

hitomi-kanzaki said:
It was only recently I realized how the ending mirrored the beginning of the series. In the first episode, she is upset because her crush is moving to another country.
I can't believe I didn't see this connection before, it's so obvious now that you mention it.
BurntJellyApr 27, 2015 9:12 PM
Aug 7, 2015 11:27 AM

Jul 2013
Man did these last few episodes felt rushed and boy did this anime fall flat.
Sep 10, 2015 2:49 PM

Feb 2015
the ending did'nt really do the series justice, still a very enjoyable series despite the second half of it feeling a little rushed.
Oct 1, 2015 6:07 PM

Jul 2010
Didn't really care much about the romance between Hitomi and Van if I'm gonna be honest, pretty bland characters imo. It's too bad because this anime had such a great start for me and absolutely loved the ost (produced by Yoko Kanno so ofc), I was almost certain to give this anime a 9/10 but now I feel more like giving it a 6/10...disappointing to say the least.
Oct 18, 2015 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
the ending was completely awful but realistic. There are a lot of self centered, egotistical and fickle women out there and Hitomi is one of them. He fkin breaks the power of fate to save her because she loves her but she cannot move in with him? I mean compared to overpowering fate is not much is it? About having the whole life ahead so what? It is recommended that people be married before 20 so that they not fell prey to depravity. This was a common practice before modernism in the last 30-50 years and standed for millenia. About having friends and family back home bullshit. There are exactly two persons waiting for her: the female friend which actually is more happy without her there and her mother which knows she is fine. I never said relocating to Fanelia before finishing school and letting her mother know but still "I love you but we cannot be togheter coz I am too selfish!" is not too good of an ending and made me hate Hitomi. She always was fickle jumping between men, but the end really made me hate her. Especially her saying "I am doing fine Van". It is not only about you you selfish btch . Maybe you should think about the other person too. That is why I liked the ending in Inuyasha. It is how this show should have ended.
Feb 14, 2016 1:38 PM

Feb 2014
So the power of love conquers all, even destiny! Call that cliche but I'm a sucker for happy endings :)

The ending was mostly good, although I wasn't happy to see Van and Allen fight. Like, was that really necessary? Yeah Van and Dilandau had been fierce rivals since the beginning but why would he and Allen engage in a fight to the death with each other? Couldn't Van have been like: "whoa slow down bro, Dilandau is actually your sister, Celena, a victim of Donkirk's human experimentation? That dirty mofo! He abused your sister and killed my brother! Ima go stab him and save Hitomi!" At least the fight didn't go to the death and Hitomi was saved!

lol at the part when Van was like: "ESCAFLOWNE LET'S GO SAVE HITOMI!!!!! lmao wait I don't need no dragon to fly in and save the day! Heck, I'm a frickin' angel!" *drops escaflowne* xD

Overall not a bad series. The battles were fun but sometimes the pacing got slow and the beginning was very repetitive (which is bad in a show that isn't meant to have filler). Characters were overall good, although Merle was super annoying, and some characters such as the kitty twins and Jajuka seemed unnecessary to add. The OST was FANTASTIC, and probably the best part about this show. 6-7/10
Mar 21, 2016 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
what the fuck did i just spend 10.83 hours of my life on

you know that ending was actually dramatic
it was actually GOOD
now if only they fucking fixed EVERYTHING THAT CAME IN BETWEEN EPISODE 2 AND THE ENDING OF EPISODE 26 you know, such that it would actually MAKE the ending appropriate and have MORE of an impact ya catch??

Noein's ending was MUCH stronger because everything in between made sense

Nadia wasn't AS bad not just because of the monstrous amount of filler but because if you take them out, the story is understandable and the characters' objectives are defined (and it's also a better choice for an Atlantis story)

4/10

Uninteresting characters and a garbage story, with even MORE rotten writing.
Apr 3, 2016 1:48 AM

Oct 2012
wow, that was actually really lame.
and I was so into this anime for about 80% of it.
not even a kiss... AND they don't end up together
this sucks
Jun 7, 2016 10:21 PM

Dec 2015
The "villain" succeeding in his masterplan for greater good, only for it to be immediately perverted by humanity belligerent nature (or Allen/Van's lust for competition). A good thing, because it isn't the big bad guy who corrupts his vision himself for once (despite his road full of bad actions).

I loved how Millerna learned to be by herself rather than staying the woman of a man.
I don't understand the frustration above about Hitomi's return to her homeland or about her three "loves":
- there are differences between high-school crushes, admiration-triggered infatuation and progressive relationship leading to an actual love.
- through her adventure, among other things, Hitomi learned what love really is (romantic, not friendship*) and it is part of what makes her more mature now. It is a positive experience for her life, not a terrible tragedy.

4.5/5
==========

OVERALL:
A fantastic heroic-fantasy coming-of-age tale about crafting one's future, starting with the overused "lost in another world" idea. The themes are well treated, and the story is almost constantly progressing. Beautiful drawings & music.
It should satisfy anyone, despite not being the case. (can't understand how it can divide like EVA)
Interesting to see some people taking the series as the dream it tries to make it.

Score: 9/10

Noodle070 said:

The ending was mostly good, although I wasn't happy to see Van and Allen fight. Like, was that really necessary? Yeah Van and Dilandau had been fierce rivals since the beginning but why would he and Allen engage in a fight to the death with each other? Couldn't Van have been like: "whoa slow down bro, Dilandau is actually your sister, Celena, a victim of Donkirk's human experimentation? That dirty mofo! He abused your sister and killed my brother! Ima go stab him and save Hitomi!" At least the fight didn't go to the death and Hitomi was saved!

It was not necessary, but the conditions were reunited for them to have the rematch duel they always wished for. Their competition lust took form in the reality because of the main thing happening at this moment: the "absolute happiness territory"/"zone of absolute fortune" (sorry, I don't know how your translation adapted the name) was activated.

==========

TheMoeHater said:
the last five episodes were full of bullshit thanks to the shojo elements.

Wich ones? How?

@TheMoeHater Thanks !
I see. I guess I didn't see that because I considered the story to be Hitomi's summer (or spring?) toward adulthood with the fantasy world intrigue as (a great) background.
For the "asspulls", are you refering to Hitomi's "powers"? Because they actually guided/moved the story/resolved or triggered events during the whole show. Didn't you have problem with it earlier like most people?

I should really focus my attention a lot more than usual the next time I'll watch this series, I really don't understand what's unexplainable. XD (my fault, I know, that's why I'll be more attentive next year)

===================
October 18, 2018
@Ittan_Momen

My God, people here are obsessed with this and yet this is something you see in many fictions, no matter what the format or country of origin is ! I don't know what the english expression for it is but I would write something like "formative/educative love", "first real love", "first mature love", or "to mature through one's first real love". The object of affection is totally unimportant here, on both sides ! What is important is what they both learned/gathered through this experience.

Falling in love was probably less important than growing up thanks to living this love (among other actions).
Also, why would a teenager's "romantic" life be considered as a barometer in taking a decisive final decision and part ways with her native world ? You know, there are other things apart from "love".

Something funny: this is almost presented like a "summer/vacation love", and that's what is usually used in such stories when they're focused on teenagers.

June 4, 2019 remake of the above paragraph.
@Maszu Don't you know about all those numerous "formative" love stories (often taking place over a summer or vacations in a foreign country rather than during a stay in another dimension)? It's not a kind of shit, it's an actual kind of story.
She "will never forget it all" because it was something really "important": she learned what (real) love is, by opposition to her early teenager crush and her Allen infatuation. Thus, this experience will stay with her, participating in her growth to adulthood (that was partly executed through this whole travel).

Maszu said:
Hitomi is the most retarded character i've ever seen, she feels so out of place near all those awesome characters.

Despite her gift, she's a "normal person" in parts because it kind of makes her more "closer" to us, I suppose.

Wel, I guess the potential wasn't that spoiled after all, based on your note.

July 31, 2020
@Ekyam_Drakon People here crying for a "cliché happy ending" made the mistake to think this wasn't happy... As for the "cliché" part, this kind of end had already been often used in stories where fantasy/supernatural intrigues invade a character's life before the people making this series thought about it : it was "cliché". Especially when you consider it's:
- an adolescent coming of age story,
- a teenagers first love,
- over a limited time.
Just like all those summer first love coming of age stories we know very well. I'm pretty sure that the hero, boy or girl, goes away with the family at the end of the day, more grown-up or not he/she might be.

I'm not sure why you tried to talk about long distance relationships (something I think is inherently idiotic), but I don't see how the year could be a counterargument to that idea: we've all seen or read long range relationships written before the contemporary times.

(No problem with all the other things noticed, obviously, and my excuses for the constant repetitions.)

June 22, 2021
@fatbastard69 But it's normal... today's anime consumers are obsessed with those things. It wasn't the case back then. (I had to hop back on the internet in the 2010s to see this kind of obsessive flooding about such minor "problems".

TitanInsane said:
I was intrigued by the idea of a mecha with a heavy focus on romance

The original series following this recipe (imaginary world in war, grand intrigue, romance tied with it) is Macross. Check Ai oboete imasuka? to see how it can better blend together. Though, you might also be disappointed since it ends up looking like the perfect crowd-pleasing blockbuster in anime form (but it works very well).
Rei_IIIJun 22, 2021 2:22 AM
Jun 9, 2016 9:57 AM

Mar 2016
Okay I'm going to address something that isn't really important.. Amano never left the country. Hikari and Amano ended up together at the end (as mentioned by the girls). Amano leaving was what started this whole series, and then he never even leaves at the end!!

But it doesn't matter because the whole ending is just kinda messed up. Hitomi got the war to stop, she found her perfect man, she has a way to control her wishes using the pendant from her grandmother (so she can travel between worlds if she wishes it) and what does she do? After watching 26 episodes of her battle this love triangle and her feelings and her past, what does she do? THROW IT AWAY. Even the pendant!! As much as I want to like this ending, I just can't. And whats even worse is that I can't really think of an ending that would have completely satisfied me.

And another question: What the hell happened with Isaac Newton? When Folken killed his body, he turned into a weird ghost-like form. And then he conveniently disappears when Van rescues Hitomi. It's like Isaac said "Well Hitomi proved that my plans wouldn't work, time to go to Heaven now." What the hell?
Jun 27, 2016 4:05 AM
Mar 2013
Xxxxxxxxxxcvss said:
Jallie58 said:

I know, right? Like Red River please. But no. The ending... they just had to choose to end it like that...

Actually i am okay with that ending.
Aug 8, 2016 8:17 PM

May 2016
All in all, this was an above average series for me. I really enjoyed the finale and got what I wanted from watching an old classic like this.

But I wish there was an episode explaining Isaac's motives. And maybe it's just me but if I ever truly loved someone, I would never want to leave them. The way Hitomi and Van separated felt like it was final. It was like one of them passed away because they said they'd always be in each other's thoughts.

But anyway, I'm gonna go and watch the movie now :3

Peace
"Everyone is equal in death." - Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"You know what, if you're talking about living or dying, I died once two years ago... But the day I met you... After I met you, I've come back to life!" - Enmadou Rokuro (Twin Star Exorcist)

"'What is gone, is gone!!! So ask yourself this!! What is there, that still remains to you?!!!' (Jinbei)
'I STILL HAVE MY FRIENDS!!!' (Monkey D Luffy)" -One Piece

"Everything... will be ok." - Kinomoto Sakura (Sakura Card Captor)
Nov 28, 2016 9:46 AM

Oct 2016
Wow the ending ruined this anime for me. It was so terrible.

She realizes she loves him after she spends most of her time fawning over 2 other guys, doesn't even kiss him (kisses Allen McDouchebag though) and then just leaves him. Oh, and gives him the one way she could possiblely come back. So they will probably never see each other again. I liked Hitomi, but she was fickle. I totally see her eventually moving on even if she still loves Van while I could totally see Van never marry because of how much he loved Hitomi. Considering all they went through and it showed her going back to Earth to basically have closure, there's no real reason she should have left.
JakNov 28, 2016 10:25 AM
Dec 11, 2016 3:14 PM
Jul 2016
This is why I hate fantasy romance anime it always ends like this long live shounen romance they atleast stay together and a king needs kids so next time she visits gae van would be having kids with the kitty. Lmao I love how his brother was with the two pussies hahaha
Jan 1, 2017 4:44 AM

Feb 2013
[quote=Oni_Squirrel message=14214559]I actually liked the ending. Not initially, but when I thought about it the ending was appropriate. It showed how much Hitomi had grown that she was now able to recognize that her feelings for Van shouldn't overshadow her life. She willingly leaves him because she knows to do otherwise would hurt the people who care about her on Earth. Plus it leaves open the possibility of her returning later in life.

It's a bittersweet ending, and kind of an unexpected downer. But I think it both suits the series and really shows the depth of their relationship and growth of both Van and Hitomi as people.

Yes!!!
✈️
Jan 1, 2017 4:46 AM

Feb 2013
hitomi-kanzaki said:
When I first watched this I was 13. I didn't like how Hitomi left either. I'm now 24 and this series is still my favorite. I also appreciate the ending a lot more than I did.

It was only recently I realized how the ending mirrored the beginning of the series. In the first episode, she is upset because her crush is moving to another country. The last episode, she figures out that she LOVES Van but accepts that he will be apart from her because they both have their duties and ties to their home. It shows how she matured throughout the whole series. For her to stay, it destroys that character. If she stayed, do you think Van would be happy to let her give up her family? Especially her little brother? Van hated Folken and did not give him a chance..and then he died. I'm sure Van regrets that with all his heart..to have Hitomi sacrifice her family is very out of character, since he no longer has family (Only Merle now, and no longer has Balgus)

As for no kiss..Miyazaki has never shown the leading lovers kiss, for example. I think it adds to the purity of their relationship and being based more on emotions than physical. It would have been nice if they kissed but I also appreciate that they didn't.

Hitomi is a very real person..she constantly said how she missed her family (Mom in particular) and her friends. So why wouldn't she go back? She had a great time on Gaea (and also some pretty bad times) but her home is Earth. Also, someone said she seemed closer with the people on Gaea than on Earth..that's only because we the audience have only seen one episode of her life on Earth. Try to imagine leaving everyone you love behind, never to talk to again.
Also, if you think about it..by her staying on Gaea, she is sacrificing her lifespan if she were to ever return to Earth. Its kind of freaky.

yes.. so true ; a;. the char development of their feelings truly is wonderful.ty for writing this as I was a little concerned about the ending at first (I am around ur age too!) so I knew I was missing "something". this perfectly encapsulates it so ty for that! I really do love this anime, considering how freakin old it is there are still some great scenes.... ; A ; ////

just finished it for the first time because I remember watching this as akid on tv thinking it was the coolest shit evr. White mecha with red cape..... and I'm absolutely in love with some of the words they use! Escaflowne.......fanelia.....van......allen - etc!
✈️
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Remember when people thought this was one of the greatest anime ever?

Schlockendale - Jan 13, 2022

17 by Lockensocke »»
Apr 7, 8:44 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 25 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 22, 2009

22 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 7, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 24 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 22, 2009

36 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 7, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 23 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 21, 2009

37 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 7, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Escaflowne Episode 22 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Mar 20, 2009

15 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 6, 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.