Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you like filler episodes?
Jun 27, 2013 5:39 AM

Mar 2013
I kind of like some of the fillers in Naruto since they give some of my favorite characters some more screen time. I don't really watch the anime of Naruto for the plot, just pick the fillers that I'd like to watch.

But other animes that I watch for the plot? Hate, hate, hate the fillers.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 27, 2013 5:59 AM

May 2013
At first I used to watch the fillers. But then I soon realized that they were shit. And that is why I am waiting for Shippuden to get ahead considerably.
Forever lost.
Jun 27, 2013 6:04 AM
Mar 2013
I don't mind a few filler episodes 'here and there', but if they take up as much of screen time as the actual story arcs (like in Naruto), then it becomes a problem.
Jun 27, 2013 6:07 AM

Mar 2013
Hmm depends.
The fillers in Black Butler were just annoying, while the fillers in Rozen Maiden were lovely, because of Desu
Jun 27, 2013 6:08 AM

Apr 2013
I kinda feel like I have to watch the fillers to get a better understanding of the story. There were times in Dragonball where they referenced filler episodes in non-filler. I usually don't mind them though, although I've never seen an anime like Naruto or Bleach that have hundreds of episodes worth of filler. I guess it depends though.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jun 27, 2013 6:08 AM

Feb 2008
Fillers are always bad as nothing happens in them. The characters aren't really bonding, the story isn't progressing etc.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 27, 2013 6:11 AM

Jan 2013
Depends. Ghost In The Shell and Cowboy Bebop had fantastic fillers. DBZ & Saint Seiya sometimes had good filler episodes and even arcs. Naruto & Sailor Moon filler was just shit though.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 27, 2013 6:18 AM

Sep 2011
There's an existing thread similar to this one.

Anyway, like what I said from a thread similar to this, as long as I enjoyed it I don't really mind. Otherwise, shit.
TennoujiJun 27, 2013 7:38 AM

Jun 27, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2013
I usually don't like filler episodes but I guess it depends on the show,sometimes having filler episodes is a good thing because it keeps the show more entertaining to have some ups and downs,however the filler episodes in FMA I really liked.
It's insane how awesome Fate/Zero is.
Jun 27, 2013 6:25 AM

Nov 2012
nope, I always skip fillers
Jun 27, 2013 6:37 AM

Jun 2013
Fillers are fine. In my opinion, they help in character development because of the extra screen time.

Jun 27, 2013 6:57 AM

Jun 2013
Naruto anime sucks..Drawing is bad,and fillers are everywhere...I focus on manga,since it makes some sense.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jun 27, 2013 7:03 AM

Jun 2013
While I feel almost obligated to watch fillers, I usually end up wishing they'd end about five minutes into each episode.
Jun 27, 2013 7:12 AM

Aug 2010
MajinSaga said:
Depends. Ghost In The Shell and Cowboy Bebop had fantastic fillers. DBZ & Saint Seiya sometimes had good filler episodes and even arcs. Naruto & Sailor Moon filler was just shit though.

Not sure what you mean by fillers in Cowboy Bebop?

I personally dislike fillers, for reasons stated above like no character progression/storyline advancement.
Jun 27, 2013 7:14 AM

Jan 2013
crosby_87 said:
MajinSaga said:

I personally dislike fillers, for reasons stated above like no character progression/storyline advancement.

Aren't fillers basically episodes that stray away from the main plot? Toys In The Attic for example.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 27, 2013 7:18 AM

Apr 2013
I'm not a fan, if they want to make those they should exclude them from the main series and make ovas, that way I could avoid 'em.
Jun 27, 2013 7:23 AM

Aug 2010
MajinSaga said:
crosby_87 said:
MajinSaga said:

Aren't fillers basically episodes that stray away from the main plot? Toys In The Attic for example.

Ah sorry sorry, Though fillers meant when anime original material is used(just to delay incase the series is catching up to the source), like the Bount arc in Bleach.
Jun 27, 2013 7:27 AM

Dec 2011
Some filler episodes are good and can get me a few laughs. But mostly they are just stupid that I skipped the whole episode.
Jun 27, 2013 7:54 AM

Aug 2012
Naruto made me hate fillers, so now I try to avoid them the most I can. They're freaking annoying and useless, unless you're really fond of a serie and then they may be interesting to watch, otherwise they are just a waste of time. .
Jun 27, 2013 8:00 AM

Mar 2011
Filler isn't inherently bad, but it usually is.
Jun 27, 2013 8:05 AM

Mar 2012
InfiniteRufus said:
Filler isn't inherently bad, but it usually is.
Yep. Heartcatch Precure was mostly filler, but I can't name a single episode I didn't like in one way or another. But then there's shows like Railgun which has lots of filler of varying quality. And long running shonen... let's not go there.
Jun 27, 2013 8:07 AM

Sep 2012
Redundant threads are like MAL's version of filler.
Jun 27, 2013 8:12 AM

Jan 2012
I don't mind them,I don't watch them most of the time but there are a lot of good ones.And I'm glad they did fillers with the 7 swordsmans in naruto
Jun 27, 2013 8:12 AM

Dec 2012
Mentalii said:
unless you're really fond of a serie and then they may be interesting to watch, otherwise they are just a waste of time. .

Not really, I am fond of Naruto and it's characters but I hate it's fillers with a passion and that goes for every single anime. I have yet to see a filler that I like.
Jun 27, 2013 8:13 AM

Apr 2013
Red_Keys said:
Redundant threads are like MAL's version of filler.
That's true but then again coming to MAL is probably life's filler.
Jun 27, 2013 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
Like some people said depends on the anime. In cases of Bleach, I hated the filler arcs because they would start before a current arc would be rapped up, have terrible and OP enemies and would make so much plot holes. (I don't mind the 1/2 episode fillers in it because they are funny and refreshing.)

In other anime, I watch the fillers, like in One Piece. The fillers are really funny and show the characters doing stuff I wish they would do normally.

And in others, the fillers are essential and also just plain amazing and hilarious eg. Gintama.
Wise shit.
Jun 27, 2013 8:33 AM

Mar 2013
No. I'd rather those filler episodes be in a special or OVA, not during the TV series.
Jun 27, 2013 8:34 AM

Jun 2012
The fillers in Gintama are great, because they feel like the usual episodes!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2013 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
Shuraaa said:

Yup, exactly! :D
Wise shit.
Jun 27, 2013 9:04 AM

Nov 2010
Fillers inherently aren't bad or good, their purpose is to delay the anime from catching up to the manga and to entertain. Whenever I watch an anime for the first time I watch all the fillers, if I rewatch I might leave out the ones that I thought were bad. Most of the time I'm kind of meh towards them.
Some anime have good ones, I've looked forward to some of Naruto's or One Piece's fillers when rewatching. One Piece has very enjoyable ones, not too long, in the break between arcs, interesting stories, funny comedy, etc.
While I most of the time hated Bleach's, too long, in the middle of an arc(one time right before a major fight), one copied Yu Yu Hakusho's arc which made it bad since it tried to fit it by lowering the power of the characters, they often dragged the already too long fillers, and there was just too much about 48% of the whole anime was filler.
Jun 27, 2013 9:13 AM

Feb 2008
I avoid any anime where filler episodes exist. I don't appreciate my time being wasted.
Jun 27, 2013 9:16 AM
May 2011
i hate fillers
Jun 27, 2013 9:39 AM

Dec 2007
I can't generalize, there are good fillers and bad fillers.
Shuraaa said:
true.
Jun 27, 2013 10:10 AM

Dec 2011
I kind of do but it all depends on how the filler is executed.
Jun 27, 2013 10:42 AM

Jun 2007
Filler arcs can be tedious, but occasional 1-2 episode blocks of filler can be good. Some of the most touching episodes of Xebec's Love Hina and Negima! adaptations were anime-original, after all.

crosby_87 said:
MajinSaga said:
crosby_87 said:
MajinSaga said:

Ah sorry sorry, Though fillers meant when anime original material is used(just to delay incase the series is catching up to the source), like the Bount arc in Bleach.
The standard meaning of filler is the one crosby_87 is using: non-canon, anime-original material not adapted from the manga/novel/etc. source. By that definition, Cowboy Bebop can't have filler, because it's an anime-original series. Calling any slower-paced/low-key episode in a generally action-oriented series "filler" is just definition drift, or to paraphrase the formerly-useful tropes site, "complaining about content you don't like."

Yep. Heartcatch Precure was mostly filler, but I can't name a single episode I didn't like in one way or another.
Also an anime-original; the expanses of "monster of the week" episodes that don't advance the overall plot are part and parcel of long-running Magical Girl anime.
ZalisJun 27, 2013 3:03 PM
Jun 27, 2013 10:46 AM
Mar 2013
Cowboy Bebop doesn't have filler because it isn't "simply filling" anything; aside from a very small story arc, the show is ABOUT episodic little subplots, and they all have distinct art design and music. Filler episodes in stuff like Naruto are very stylistically uninteresting.
CbubblesJun 27, 2013 10:51 AM
Jun 27, 2013 10:52 AM

Jan 2012
I don't like them but I can understand why they're needed, especially for anime adaptations of a long running manga/LN series.
Jun 27, 2013 10:54 AM

Dec 2012
There are fillers that do justice for a series and help contribute to its main story or the atmosphere in some shape or form. For example, One Piece fillers are usually about various experiences on the crew's journey, which contributes to the whole "adventure" atmosphere.

Then there's fillers that absolutely disgust the hell out of me. Aka Bleach.
Jun 27, 2013 11:18 AM

Oct 2011
Filler is only good for me when I can't recognize it as filler until I read the manga or see someone complaining about it, and that really depends on consistency between the real story and the filler. If the animation sucks or the characters or overall tone stray from the canon story, it can be pretty annoying and I usually skip that episode/arc. Otherwise, I try give filler episodes a chance.
Jun 27, 2013 12:36 PM

May 2011
When i used to watch long series, I liked Dragonball filler
Jun 27, 2013 2:30 PM

Apr 2013
The filler episodes i kinda want are stand alone comedy episodes. Just like in the second half of GetBackers and the middle part of Fairy Tail (before the Edolas Arc).

Jun 27, 2013 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Not a big fan of fillers, but I did enjoy the filler arcs in Yu-Gi-Oh!
Jun 27, 2013 3:13 PM

Jul 2010
Fillers are fine if they go into more detail of an event or character that is already a part of the manga, but when it's a random event that will never be mentioned again and has nothing to do with anything I normally get annoyed, which I why I am not fond of fillers such as the ones in Naruto.
Jun 27, 2013 3:35 PM

May 2013
One Piece is literally the only anme fillers i can withstand. Only show which time doesn't seem to effect.

Every other anime I have seen with fillers make me want to tear my hair out they are so bad.
Jun 27, 2013 3:41 PM

Dec 2012
Filler episodes are nice when they don't take themselves seriously or if they're fun/comedic. The Bounty Arc is a perfect example of a shitty filler.
Jun 27, 2013 3:52 PM

Jun 2013
IntervisioN said:
Filler episodes are nice when they don't take themselves seriously or if they're fun/comedic. The Bounty Arc is a perfect example of a shitty filler.

Yea,Bleach is full of fillers...Forget the Bounto arc,they somehow managed to put it together with story,but who the hell wants Zanpakuto Rebelion or Shuusuke Amagai...
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jun 27, 2013 3:58 PM

Aug 2012
KawanoMino said:
I kind of like some of the fillers in Naruto since they give some of my favorite characters some more screen time. I don't really watch the anime of Naruto for the plot, just pick the fillers that I'd like to watch.

But other animes that I watch for the plot? Hate, hate, hate the fillers.

Of course you don't watch Naruto for its plot, as it has no plot. You probably watch Naruto to see the pew pew pew, but there are anime with both plot and pew pew pew like One Piece.
Jun 27, 2013 4:00 PM

Nov 2010
Dimitrije1606 said:
IntervisioN said:

Yea,Bleach is full of fillers...Forget the Bounto arc,they somehow managed to put it together with story,but who the hell wants Zanpakuto Rebelion or Shuusuke Amagai...
Doesn't really help that they stole or reused the story from another anime.
Jun 27, 2013 4:02 PM

Sep 2010
As long as they are entertaining or focus more on my favorite supporting characters
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 27, 2013 4:30 PM

Sep 2011
When done right, no complaints here. Even when done bad, just don't watch it if you're going to complain about it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
36 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
37 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
44 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.