Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2013 6:20 AM

Feb 2012
As an American, I often feel like others around me don’t understand my passion for anime. My hackles rise when I hear it referred to as cartoons. But then I wonder, am I too old for anime? Many of the shows I watch and enjoy are geared toward high school kids (Clannad, Working!, True Tears, Naruto, etc.). But I’m in my thirties. I’ve had people my age say something like, “Oh, yeah, I’ve watched anime. That one about the ninjas. Something Scroll.” And I’m like, “That’s the worst anime ever, you can’t compare it to that.”

Not just anime, manga too. When I’m seen reading it I often make the excuse, “It’s research for my next novel.” Since I write young adult speculative fiction, I can sometimes get away with that. But let me ask this list. How old is too old for anime? Am I the only middle-aged adult who hasn’t grown out of it? Does that make me a freak or something?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 25, 2013 6:23 AM

Feb 2008
How old is too old for cartoons?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 25, 2013 6:25 AM

Nov 2012
Same as how old is too old to watch normal tv films.
Jun 25, 2013 6:26 AM

Dec 2011
It's never too old for anime.
Jun 25, 2013 6:27 AM

Apr 2011
Age shouldn't be a factor for mediums of entertainment. Games are ageless, movies are ageless, why animations?
Jun 25, 2013 6:28 AM

Jul 2012
I understand the problem of being mid 20s or even 30s and watching highschool anime.
It just kinda feels wrong. I still feel like I'm going to school, but actually I don't for many years now...

I'm 10 years older than most anime characters in these type of shows, so it becomes harder and harder to relate.

But I tell you what:
Liking anime means you are a man-child.
And you will be one as long as you do.

That is good because being a child is good. Adults suck as they lost all form of passion for anything. Never lose your inner child. Stick to anime and don't give a shit what all the boring normal people around you think of it.

They can read the newspaper and complain about Obama or some shit, while you enjoy your chinese cartoons and don't give a fuck.

remember, life is a ride, you decide how fun it is, and if anime is the funnest thing you can do, stick to it.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jun 25, 2013 6:31 AM

Sep 2012
I thought Ninja Scroll was supposed to be pretty good...

Anyway, you don't get flak or feel childish for watching Pixar films, do you? Obviously not all anime is that good, but the only thing separating a bad anime from something like Transformers 2 is that it's fully animated. I don't see why that would be a problem.
Jun 25, 2013 6:33 AM

Jun 2013
Well,my uncle is in his thirties as well,and he is watching anime.If you write,than all the more reason,since you are not watching for enjoyment,you actually have benefit from it.. I was wondering that myself,even though I am still very young,but if you enjoy something,you should do it. Like most of them said,you watch movies,read books,play games...Damn it all,ANIME IS NOT FOR CHILDREN ONLY. I can name dozens of them which a child shouldn't watch...
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jun 25, 2013 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
Orsonius said:
I understand the problem of being mid 20s or even 30s and watching highschool anime.
It just kinda feels wrong. I still feel like I'm going to school, but actually I don't for many years now...

I'm 10 years older than most anime characters in these type of shows, so it becomes harder and harder to relate.

But I tell you what:

That is good because being a child is good. Adults suck as they lost all form of passion for anything. Never lose your inner child. Stick to anime and don't give a shit what all the boring normal people around you think of it.

They can read the newspaper and complain about Obama or some shit, while you enjoy your chinese cartoons and don't give a fuck.

remember, life is a ride, you decide how fun it is, and if anime is the funnest thing you can do, stick to it.

worst poster ever
Jun 25, 2013 6:37 AM

Jul 2012
RyanTheRandom said:

worst poster ever

Explain.
Jun 25, 2013 6:37 AM

Nov 2012
Orsonius said:
RyanTheRandom said:

worst poster ever

Explain.

2nding explain
Jun 25, 2013 6:38 AM

Nov 2012
Just do what you enjoy and don't give a shit about what other people think. If they don't like it then that's their problem. You should never be ashamed of something you enjoy doing as long as it makes YOU happy. It's not about being too old or not, it's about doing what you want, if you want to watch High School type anime in your 30s then more power to ya. I know I probably will be.
Jun 25, 2013 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
It really depends on the age demographic of the anime in question.
You are definitely too old to watch Pokemon, but you can't be too old for Berserk.
Jun 25, 2013 6:47 AM

Feb 2012
Orsonius said:
But I tell you what:

Man-child? Maybe that's the problem. I never really had a childhood (had to grow up quickly) and my junior/high school years were horrible. Perhaps I'm a grown man stuck in the past, trying to relive it through anime . . . wonder what Freud would say about that.
Jun 25, 2013 6:52 AM

Oct 2012
If you feel too old with the anime you're watching, watch different ones. There are plenty of anime starring 20 somethings and higher. Yes, they are made as frequently. But they're still made! Heck, I plan on buying two within the near future (Lupin the 3rd: Woman Called Fujiko Mine; Tiger and Bunny).

From a personal standpoint: I will never allow someone else to make me feel weird for watching anime or doing anything that I love.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jun 25, 2013 6:54 AM

Jul 2012
Rabidus said:
Orsonius said:
But I tell you what:

Man-child? Maybe that's the problem. I never really had a childhood (had to grow up quickly) and my junior/high school years were horrible. Perhaps I'm a grown man stuck in the past, trying to relive it through anime . . . wonder what Freud would say about that.

Yes. That's why.

The same with me. My highschool life sucked.
Watching anime with highschool romance, comedy and fun is like fulfilling my boring past.
Being stuck in the past is probably something a lot of people here share. I certainly am stuck in the past.
Growing up sucks, suddenly you have to take responsibility and have more problems every day.
You have less time to enjoy yourself, and more time spending on shit you hate (work, household etc).
Jun 25, 2013 6:55 AM

Sep 2012
Rabidus said:
Orsonius said:
But I tell you what:

Who cares what Freud would say? Unless it's having an effect on your life other than people thinking it's weird, I wouldn't worry about it.
Jun 25, 2013 7:00 AM

Feb 2012
CloudRider said:
It really depends on the age demographic of the anime in question.
You are definitely too old to watch Pokemon, but you can't be too old for Berserk.

I liked Pokemon in my 20s, but can't seem to watch it anymore. Berserk is enjoyable, but I enjoy a wide variety of anime.

Popka said:
Anyway, you don't get flak or feel childish for watching Pixar films, do you?

I have an excuse with Pixar. I can watch it with my 4-year-old.

Dimitrije1606 said:
Well,my uncle is in his thirties as well,and he is watching anime.If you write,than all the more reason,since you are not watching for enjoyment,you actually have benefit from it.

But my main reason for watching it is for enjoyment. I'm beginning to tire of Hollywood and all their special effects. Anime usually contains a story, not just fast-paced action. I enjoy character development, things that move me nearly to tears, and things that speak to my inner person. Watching anime is one of the few things I've found that lets me really relax. Not sure why, though.

yhunata said:
Age shouldn't be a factor for mediums of entertainment. Games are ageless, movies are ageless, why animations?

I've also gotten flak for playing Video Games as well.
Jun 25, 2013 7:02 AM

Feb 2013
Haven't you guys gone a "little" off-topic ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2013 7:04 AM

Oct 2012
Rabidus said:
yhunata said:

I've also gotten flak for playing Video Games as well.

It sounds like you're hanging about with a bunch of dicks. Stop talking to them. BOOM! Next contestant.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jun 25, 2013 7:09 AM
Apr 2010
Rabidus said:
As an American, I often feel like others around me don’t understand my passion for anime. My hackles rise when I hear it referred to as cartoons. But then I wonder, am I too old for anime? Many of the shows I watch and enjoy are geared toward high school kids (Clannad, Working!, True Tears, Naruto, etc.). But I’m in my thirties. I’ve had people my age say something like, “Oh, yeah, I’ve watched anime. That one about the ninjas. Something Scroll.” And I’m like, “That’s the worst anime ever, you can’t compare it to that.”

Not just anime, manga too. When I’m seen reading it I often make the excuse, “It’s research for my next novel.” Since I write young adult speculative fiction, I can sometimes get away with that. But let me ask this list. How old is too old for anime? Am I the only middle-aged adult who hasn’t grown out of it? Does that make me a freak or something?

"Hi. I wanted to know what the general age is for watching anime so I can tell my friends the next time they make fun of me."
Jun 25, 2013 7:17 AM

Feb 2012
MoeGalacticHero said:
That said, if you're above 16 and you still like shit like Naruto then you fail as a Human being.

Lol, you made me laugh. Thanks MoeGalacticHero, glad to know I've failed the human race. Actually, I got into Naruto because of my Godson, and it hooked me as we watched it together. Now he's 19 and doesn't care that much for it anymore, but I still find myself keeping up with it.

Orsonius said:

Yes. That's why.

Watching anime with highschool romance, comedy and fun is like fulfilling my boring past.
Being stuck in the past is probably something a lot of people here share. I certainly am stuck in the past.
Growing up sucks, suddenly you have to take responsibility and have more problems every day.
You have less time to enjoy yourself, and more time spending on shit you hate (work, household etc).

Sorry to hear that your past was so crappy. I wonder if anime appeals the most to those who struggle with reality. I'm actually a professional (a Senior Designer: basically, a graphic artist) with a full-time job that pays fairly well. I also have a family, a house, and a boatload of responsibilities. I never fail at fulfilling those responsibilities, but my free-time is sparse. Anime helps me relax. I also write YA fantasy because I desire to reach out to struggling youth, as I was once one of them. But there are times I wonder if I enjoy it a little too much, if you know what I mean. My hope was that I would post here and get, "Hey, I'm an old fart too, glad to see you here." But I'm starting to see that's not the case.
Jun 25, 2013 7:21 AM

Sep 2012
Rabidus said:
MoeGalacticHero said:
That said, if you're above 16 and you still like shit like Naruto then you fail as a Human being.

Lol, you made me laugh. Thanks MoeGalacticHero, glad to know I've failed the human race. Actually, I got into Naruto because of my Godson, and it hooked me as we watched it together. Now he's 19 and doesn't care that much for it anymore, but I still find myself keeping up with it.

Orsonius said:

Yes. That's why.

Sorry to hear that your past was so crappy. I wonder if anime appeals the most to those who struggle with reality. I'm actually a professional (a Senior Designer: basically, a graphic artist) with a full-time job that pays fairly well. I also have a family, a house, and a boatload of responsibilities. I never fail at fulfilling those responsibilities, but my free-time is sparse. Anime helps me relax. I also write YA fantasy because I desire to reach out to struggling youth, as I was once one of them. But there are times I wonder if I enjoy it a little too much, if you know what I mean. My hope was that I would post here and get, "Hey, I'm an old fart too, glad to see you here." But I'm starting to see that's not the case.
Well, I know of one person here who is older than you, if that helps.
Jun 25, 2013 7:24 AM

Mar 2013
When your six feet under its time to give up anime, but until then stay calm and watch anime
Jun 25, 2013 7:26 AM
May 2012
It's only too old when YOU feel it is.
Jun 25, 2013 7:27 AM

Jul 2012
Rabidus said:

it's not like my childhood was bad, just my school life.
I think back and think about the things I could have done better.

I'm also a designer (media designer digital and print) though I don't really care much about my job. I work just to earn some money, but most of the time I slack off (like right now, I'm at work).

I still live with my parents and spend most of my free time watching anime of playing video games. I know at some point I can't do that anymore. And that is something I don't want to happen.

I don't really care about getting children anymore, and hell I'd get married.

Anime is the perfect escape from reality. It offers many different universes to escape too. That's why I enjoy a lot of different show.
As well as serious shows and pandering ones.

If anime is there for you to relax, that is great, also that you apparently are okay with your life. But some of us use it as a sort of drug to escape.

My life is a perfect example of escapism.
Jun 25, 2013 7:28 AM

Feb 2012
NiN10d0h said:
"Hi. I wanted to know what the general age is for watching anime so I can tell my friends the next time they make fun of me."

NickyCharisma said:
It sounds like you're hanging about with a bunch of dicks. Stop talking to them. BOOM! Next contestant.

I suppose it did come across like that. I don't really care what people think of me anymore, I've grown past that. And I don't put up with bullying, either; I know how to stand up for myself. It's clear to me that many adults just don't get it. In Japan, adults watching anime is the norm. In America, they think it's just a child's cartoon. Obviously there's very "adult" anime, worse than X-rated films. But I'm looking at anime as a whole. Since there aren't many adults on here, let me ask this of you youths. In ten years, do you think you'll give it up? Or will it always be a part of your life?
Jun 25, 2013 7:28 AM

Jan 2012
Why is age even an issue? It's the same as saying when are you too old to watch films? When are you too old to dance? All of them are pretty pointless questions as age shouldn't even be the deciding factor.
Jun 25, 2013 7:31 AM

Oct 2012
I joined this site at the ripe age of 20. In ten years, I will still watch anime. It will always be a part of my life.
NickyCharismaJun 25, 2013 7:35 AM
Jun 25, 2013 7:34 AM

Jul 2012
Ninja Scroll sucks? you be trippin'

you are never too old for anime. I know people in their 50s and 60s that watch it. Sure they are not watching Clannad, but they are watching
Jun 25, 2013 7:42 AM

Feb 2012
Orsonius said:
Rabidus said:
it's not like my childhood was bad, just my school life.
I think back and think about the things I could have done better.

I'm also a designer (media designer digital and print) though I don't really care much about my job. I work just to earn some money, but most of the time I slack off (like right now, I'm at work).

I still live with my parents and spend most of my free time watching anime of playing video games. I know at some point I can't do that anymore. And that is something I don't want to happen.

I don't really care about getting children anymore, and hell I'd get married.

Anime is the perfect escape from reality. It offers many different universes to escape too. That's why I enjoy a lot of different show.
As well as serious shows and pandering ones.

If anime is there for you to relax, that is great, also that you apparently are okay with your life. But some of us use it as a sort of drug to escape.

My life is a perfect example of escapism.

I never planned to get married either, definitely never imagined having a family of my own. But things happen, lol. If life allowed it, I'd probably have become a NEET, but I'm thankful I was forced outside my comfort zone. That said, I wouldn't say I'm entirely OK with my life. I deal with anxiety, stress, and health issues. I too often use anime as a sort of drug, but I've come to find balance between reality and fantasy. If you read books, check out The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende. You've probably heard of or seen the movie, but the book is very different. It does a great job of painting a picture of the need for both fiction and reality. It's helped me to come to terms with some things. PM me and we can talk more if you'd like. I understand where you are coming from and can appreciate your situation more than you know.
Jun 25, 2013 7:45 AM
Jun 2013
I couldn't care less. I watch kids shows and will not stop because I watch them with a mature mind. It's never too old to watch anime, it's the mentality of watching one that matters.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Jun 25, 2013 7:45 AM

May 2013
Dead
Jun 25, 2013 7:55 AM

Feb 2012
murazrai said:
I couldn't care less. I watch kids shows and will not stop because I watch them with a mature mind. It's never too old to watch anime, it's the mentality of watching one that matters.

I agree :-) Glad I'm not alone in thinking thusly.
Jun 25, 2013 8:12 AM

Apr 2012
I remember answering a thread that asked this exact same question and my answer remains the same now: there is no such thing as "too old for anime."

I'm 21 years old (still young, but probably older than many here). I started watching anime when I was in my freshman year of high school. Fortunately, I had a great high school life and free time to boot. But once I graduated, I played Army for a few years and now I'm working full time and attend university full time (night/day).

And guess what? I still freaking love anime! Even if I've matured infinity times from what I was years ago, anime isn't something you really grow out of. That's like asking someone "Why haven't you grown out of books? or "Why haven't you grown out of normal television?" Does something about the fact that anime is drawn make it automatically exclusively for children?

Nah, not at all.

Don't let anyone's perceptions of what anime is hinder your own enjoyment of it. There are just as many fallacies and untrue logic that you can apply to anyone's hobby as a non-member of it (NASCAR is just a bunch of boring driving in circles, taking pictures of little girls is something that only perverts do, etc.).

Keep living a life doing the things you enjoy, Good Sir.

Jun 25, 2013 8:16 AM

Dec 2012
Rabidus said:
Lol, you made me laugh. Thanks MoeGalacticHero, glad to know I've failed the human race.

Oh no no, don't get me wrong. You haven't failed me or the human race. You've failed nobody but yourself. And you're going to have to live with that. For the rest of your life. On a positive note, that shouldn't be too long, because you're old.

AndyRayy said:
(taking pictures of little girls is something that only perverts do, etc.).
What the fuck? What kind of hobbies do you have?

ssrex said:
The 1800's wasn't that great for anime in my honest opinion.

I dunno man. The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife was a classic imo.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 25, 2013 8:17 AM

Feb 2013
AndyRayy said:
I remember answering a thread that asked this exact same question and my answer remains the same now: there is no such thing as "too old for anime."

I'm 21 years old (still young, but probably older than many here). I started watching anime when I was in my freshman year of high school. Fortunately, I had a great high school life and free time to boot. But once I graduated, I played Army for a few years and now I'm working full time and attend university full time (night/day).

And guess what? I still freaking love anime! Even if I've matured infinity times from what I was years ago, anime isn't something you really grow out of. That's like asking someone "Why haven't you grown out of books? or "Why haven't you grown out of normal television?" Does something about the fact that anime is drawn make it automatically exclusively for children?

Nah, not at all.

Don't let anyone's perceptions of what anime is hinder your own enjoyment of it. There are just as many fallacies and untrue logic that you can apply to anyone's hobby as a non-member of it (NASCAR is just a bunch of boring driving in circles, taking pictures of little girls is something that only perverts do, etc.).

A wild smart post appeared. +1
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2013 8:19 AM

Apr 2013
I'll be 80 years old with diabetes, cancer, and hooked up on needles and breathing tubes while watching anime.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jun 25, 2013 8:19 AM

Apr 2012
MoeGalacticHero said:
AndyRayy said:
(taking pictures of little girls is something that only perverts do, etc.).
What the fuck? What kind of hobbies do you have?
'Tis but a reference to Welcome to the NHK!

Jun 25, 2013 8:27 AM

Feb 2012
AndyRayy said:

Nah, not at all.

Well said, AndyRayy. Thank you; that makes me feel better :-). I see we like some of the same shows, will have to check out your higher-ranked ones.

MoeGalacticHero said:

Oh no no, don't get me wrong. You haven't failed me or the human race. You've failed nobody but yourself. And you're going to have to live with that. For the rest of your life. On a positive note, that shouldn't be too long, because you're old.

Well, according to your profile, you are less than a year old, so what the hell do you know, right? Dattebayo!
Jun 25, 2013 8:32 AM

Dec 2012
Rabidus said:

Well, according to your profile, you are less than a year old, so what the hell do you know, right? Dattebayo!
I am a child prodigy renowned throughout eastern European MMA circuits and semi-legal underground chess tournaments. I have written over 100 academic essays on topics ranging from organic chemistry to meta-feminist structuralism to the importance of moe anime in a post-evangelion world. I know all there is to know about knowing and you would be wise to heed my words of warning. Believe it.
Jun 25, 2013 8:36 AM

Feb 2012
MoeGalacticHero said:
I am a child prodigy renowned throughout eastern European MMA circuits and semi-legal underground chess tournaments. I have written over 100 academic essays on topics ranging from organic chemistry to meta-feminist structuralism to the importance of moe anime in a post-evangelion world. I know all there is to know about knowing and you would be wise to heed my words of warning. Believe it.

Wow, I've got some catching up to do or you might beat me to my goal of world domination. Kage Bunshin no Jutsu!
Jun 25, 2013 8:43 AM

Jan 2013
Ninja Scrolls is awful? Screw you op.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 25, 2013 9:39 AM

Jan 2013
OP you are a man child. 5/10 for Ghost In The shell , 7/10 for Akira, Serial experiments lain 7/10, and 7/10 for Cowboy Bebop? The fuck. And Ninja Scroll is awful? And worst of all, naruto: shippuden a 9/10.... Yes, you are too fucking old for the type of anime you enjoy.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 25, 2013 9:42 AM

Apr 2013
Icyness said:
It's never too old for anime.
Jun 25, 2013 9:49 AM

Jul 2012
MoeGalacticHero said:
MajinSaga said:
OP you are a man child. 5/10 for Ghost In The shell

I watched the first episode and it was shit. If that's indicative of the rest of the series then 5/10 is generous. Just saiyan.
7/10 for Akira,

The manga had better depth and pacing. Comparatively the anime is mostly lauded for its influence and animation, two things that are less important. 7/10 is a good rating in any case.
Serial experiments lain 7/10,

I've heard it's very pretentious and loses focus. I've yet to watch it, but I heard that from a reliable source.
and 7/10 for Cowboy Bebop? The fuck.
It's episodic nature and heavy inspiration from American culture is a turn-off for many. Understandably imo. The story episodes were far superior to the episodic ones.

How can you say Lain is pretentious if you have Texhnolyze in your favorites,
I love Texhnolyze, but I think Lain is better.

I agree on Bebop.
Jun 25, 2013 9:57 AM

May 2013
How old is too old for anime?
When you are so old that you can't even see or hear anything anymore.
Jun 25, 2013 10:00 AM

Feb 2010
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves.
~C.S. Lewis
Jun 25, 2013 10:04 AM

Dec 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves.
~C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis was a misogynist and racist man-child. He also wasn't a good author.
Jun 25, 2013 10:07 AM

Feb 2010
MoeGalacticHero said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
~C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis was a misogynist and racist man-child. He also wasn't a good author.

But ur a retard.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

89 by RobertBobert »»
6 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

65 by Ratris_Decision »»
10 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
14 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.