Forum Settings
Forums
Chobits 20th Anniversary Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2013 12:18 AM

Apr 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
It's over!

I honestly really enjoyed this series even thought it's not generally the kind of thing I'd be into. It was endearing and just wonderful. It did make me sad though to think that Hideki and Chi can never "become one"... Being in love with someone but not being able to that for the rest of your life is just, well, kinda depressing.
For me the characters--side characters especially--were all likeable and interesting (though Hideki himself was a little boring). The art was beautiful, as well, and I would recommend this to everyone!
10/10

Aug 28, 2014 1:38 PM

Aug 2010
I actually skipped the rest of the chapters and go straight here thinking that it was the same in the anime but boy was I wrong particularly this chapter which was I believe wasn't included in the anime. I have to read a couple of chapters back just to compare. I mean both are good but the manga just take it to a whole new level. Its more philosophical which was the approach I used when reading. With that being said I would say this was better. All the characters were given a conclusion even the side characters are memorable maybe even more so than our Hideki. It's like everything was just right in the end.

I would definitely recommend to read the whole thing though but for those who are curious if anything happened beyond the scope of the anime (I think) this chapter will definitely hit the spot with additional details to fill your Chobits fix and give this series a really good conclusion.
Mar 19, 2015 2:13 AM

Sep 2014
Re-read Chobits and it's still one of my favorite manga, but I still get depressed every time regarding Freya. I really hoped that Freya would stay inside Chii/Elda and experience Chii's and Hideki's love with them.

It's hard for me to call this a completely happy ending when Freya dies at the end.
Jul 23, 2015 10:58 AM

Jul 2014
Anyone have an opinion on why Chi's reset switch was located where it was? I was wondering why her father who created her to be the most advanced, most human persocom and wanted her to find the "someone just for her" would make it so she could never go all the way with the person she chose. Did he do it just to make it less likely it would be pushed on accident or make sure only the person she chose would be able to push it due to the location? Did he believe that by making her that way it would act as a kind of final test to whoever was her chosen partner, that if he can be with her and love her even without "becoming one" with her then he truly is the one just for her?

Just something I was stuck thinking about after the end, loved the rest of the story overall. Maybe i'll check out the anime at some point.
Aug 27, 2015 6:29 AM
Jun 2014
niintysix said:
Anyone have an opinion on why Chi's reset switch was located where it was? I was wondering why her father who created her to be the most advanced, most human persocom and wanted her to find the "someone just for her" would make it so she could never go all the way with the person she chose. Did he do it just to make it less likely it would be pushed on accident or make sure only the person she chose would be able to push it due to the location? Did he believe that by making her that way it would act as a kind of final test to whoever was her chosen partner, that if he can be with her and love her even without "becoming one" with her then he truly is the one just for her?

Just something I was stuck thinking about after the end, loved the rest of the story overall. Maybe i'll check out the anime at some point.

Ridiculous device so to create a bittersweet ending where the MC will end up as virgin forever. And as much as he won't admit it, at least not yet, he'll never be truly happy.

Never understood why there are so many animes and mangas where side characters go all the way, but it's almost taboo if the main characters do it.
Jan 5, 2016 10:56 PM

Sep 2014
Stormen said:
niintysix said:

Ridiculous device so to create a bittersweet ending where the MC will end up as virgin forever. And as much as he won't admit it, at least not yet, he'll never be truly happy.

Never understood why there are so many animes and mangas where side characters go all the way, but it's almost taboo if the main characters do it.

Yeah, while I love this manga that's one of the most ridiculous, contrived twists I've ever read. It's so ridiculously bad that the mangaka couldn't even explain WHY it was done! If you're going to do something like that, then you'd better give a dang good reason for doing it.

I could understand deceiving him and making him believe that they could never get intimate to see how he reacted. And it's absurd that a loving father would do that to something he considered his child! Oh, dear, I want you to be happy and find that person just for you, but, you know what, for no good reason at all I'm also going to stop you from ever doing something that loving couples normally do. *Snorts*

Chi noticed people holding hands and hugging, and inquired as to their meaning then wanted to do them with Hideki. She IS going to eventually notice kissing, and she WILL eventually learn about sex. Have fun explaining that issue to her, Hideki!

Awesome manga, un-awesomely horrible, contrived twist.

And again, I'm still disappointed with how Freya's story ended. Elda took her into herself so that Freya wouldn't just vanish, but at the end of the story it appears that she still dies.
CasyleJan 6, 2016 12:28 PM
Dec 14, 2016 11:16 PM

Oct 2016
Its just wonderful ! Although some part of the manga was quite lame I liked the story and characters as a whole . So I give 9/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2017 10:28 AM

Jul 2016
So in the end, a virgin married a robot in the form of a girl. Truly, the best moral for the japanese otaku.

5/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2017 8:54 AM

Apr 2010
I enjoyed this chapter. I loved how it wrapped up everyone's lives and it was concise. Sucks that Hideki can't go all the way but love is love, I guess.

Jan 21, 2018 10:53 AM
Dec 2016
I am so sad it's finished x_x
Loved reading it .
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Sep 28, 2021 4:03 PM
Jul 2020
Casyle said:
Stormen said:

Yeah, while I love this manga that's one of the most ridiculous, contrived twists I've ever read. It's so ridiculously bad that the mangaka couldn't even explain WHY it was done! If you're going to do something like that, then you'd better give a dang good reason for doing it.

I could understand deceiving him and making him believe that they could never get intimate to see how he reacted. And it's absurd that a loving father would do that to something he considered his child! Oh, dear, I want you to be happy and find that person just for you, but, you know what, for no good reason at all I'm also going to stop you from ever doing something that loving couples normally do. *Snorts*

Chi noticed people holding hands and hugging, and inquired as to their meaning then wanted to do them with Hideki. She IS going to eventually notice kissing, and she WILL eventually learn about sex. Have fun explaining that issue to her, Hideki!

Awesome manga, un-awesomely horrible, contrived twist.

And again, I'm still disappointed with how Freya's story ended. Elda took her into herself so that Freya wouldn't just vanish, but at the end of the story it appears that she still dies.

These are all valid points that I actually never really thought of futuristically. I’d actually be curious to see an arc where Chi starts questioning what it means to be (physically) intimate with a partner. Of course they are able to do other things besides the usual deed, but it’s not the same as “making love”.

Regarding Ichiro (the father)’s decision as to why he put the restart button “there”, if anyone is familiar with his personality from Angelic Layer, he is kind of a sadistic person. Personally I think this was his way to test the waters for people mentally and physically. Hideki’s relationship with Chi was probably the end result Ichiro was looking for, rather than society looking at Chi lustfully. Basically a social experiment, if you will. The whole set up is literally a social experiment when technology’s concerned. This doesn’t mean that Ichiro didn’t care for his daughters of course, but at the end of the day they’re not human beings. And I’m sure the restart button was discussed with Chitose since she was involved with the scientific upbringing of Persacoms. Freya and Elda were literally created to be Chitose’s children. Perhaps Ichiro wanted them to be “pure” since they were his children too, but then again, who really knows. This is just my theory lmao
azenobioMay 2, 2022 7:38 AM
Feb 10, 2023 3:54 PM

Dec 2009
Having now read this today after originally watching the anime first in 2010 and rewatching it once I don't remember when a few years after, I'm surprised at how somewhat lifeless and disappointing the experience of experiencing this story again was today.

I realize now, as sweet as it seemed for the romance, and how adorable Chii is- thinking it was one of the best classics... it's oddly distasteful, and not great at all like I thought it was. 
Now I feel that it's not very funny, and mostly uncomfortable, while being stupid in the end. 

From disgusting age gap relationships, incest, and staying a virgin with a persocom. It's fucked up...
I can't figure out or breakdown the actual theme at the moment, but there's weird concepts in the end. 

Scientist creates persocoms for them to love and love, even if it's program and not real,
but while creating twin persocom daughters for his wife who can't birth children, the big sister chobit Freya fell in love with the scientist, her creator, her "father". Thus, she mentally broke down into a potential shut down which was prevented by the little sister (Chii) Elda, who transfered Freya into her, and asked her creators/parents to erase her memory and be left abandoned out of the mother's care so that she can fall in love with somebody else, than their father. 

The ultimate goal of finding her "soulmate", but for whatever logical reason, these Chobits (Freya and Elda/Chii) have the power to erase every persocom's person-recognition program, if she "failed" to find love, and the switch in her pussy will inevitibly restart her data... so Hideki can never fuck Chii... At least via vaginal intercourse.
That's fucking stupid upon realizing it now. I don't remember how I felt about the anime, but apparently they are slightly different. 

Regardless. That ending fact is bizarre. 
What's a little discomforting to me is his friend Shinbo, albeit being at least 18 years old, loves his teacher. While his female coworker loves an older baker. Who each have had their issue with persocom.
The female teacher's husband neglected her after having a persocom, and the baker had a persocom wife with the same name as his now new lover. 
The kidnapper who tried to hack Chii was meaninglessly creepy, and the genius boy seems to legitimately have loved his older sister romantically, and now loves his persocom who resembles his sister. All of that is somewhat disgusting to me. 

It could have worked in some other way I guess, minus the incest from him and Freya, but aside from these odd relationships revolving around the main "odd" pairing of human x persocom,
Hideki's development with Chii to fall in love with and ultimately accept as his soulmate wasn't stronly established.

I think the anime's pacing was probably better, but somehow the manga feels fast-paced. 
Nonetheless. Reasonably, he doesn't seem to have a strong plausible case to have fallen in love with Chii. She's adorable, charming, and cares for him, but even if he's the only one who took care of her and worries and loves her that much... it's all a bit too unquestionable, in the sense that we have to assume that he'll never have regrets or wonder because he ended up with Chii, and was kinda pressured. 
Because if he hadn't accepted Chii, it seems like she would have affected every persocom... it's stupid. 5/10.
Mar 12, 2023 7:56 AM

Aug 2022
This was a really good manga, both the art, the story, and the characters are great and memorable. People here have said it before, but it feels like Hideki is actually the least developed character in the entire story. Not a bad thing though, since I suppose he's more of a self-insert character for most guys reading this.

All of the little side stories they had were fun, and while some people might think the concepts presented were a little disturbing, I think it was great that they focused on the more harsh realities of humans loving persocoms rather than have it be a feel good story. I see a lot of people in this thread wondering why Chii's reset button is located in/on (not sure) her vagina, but I think @azenobio summarizes it best. It felt like the creator treated his Chobits and the other persocoms as more of a personal experiment.

If a Chobit, who is essentially a non-human without the ability to reproduce or have sex, can be loved by a human, then it proves that humans are capable of loving persocoms just like they would be able to love another human. If this was not the case, and Chii was never able to find love, then he would "save" all of the persocoms by distancing themselves from other humans through the form of erasing their memories of humans. Also, the creator of the persocoms managed to fall in love with a girl who also wasn't able to reproduce, so that could be another reason why the switch was there.

azenobio said:
Hideki’s relationship with Chi was probably the end result Ichiro was looking for, rather than society looking at Chi lustfully. Basically a social experiment, if you will.

I think this summarizes the ending very well.

May 13, 2023 12:20 PM

Feb 2020
I tried to like this manga but I think the only good thing about it is the art. The writing is vapid and illogical and the romances are all distasteful, yet very bland at the same time. I was willing to forgive the born sexy yesterday trope if they did anything at all with Chi's character, but in the end the main heroine still acts like a 5 year old. Not gonna comment on the power switch in her robot vagina.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chobits Chapter 62 Discussion

Hyoroemon - Jul 27, 2013

1 by playgamewithme14 »»
Feb 18, 2023 9:20 AM

Poll: » Chobits Chapter 53 Discussion

Hyoroemon - Jul 12, 2013

1 by playgamewithme14 »»
Feb 18, 2023 7:03 AM

Poll: » Chobits Chapter 31 Discussion

Naivette - Sep 6, 2011

3 by playgamewithme14 »»
Feb 15, 2023 6:38 AM

Poll: » Chobits Chapter 27 Discussion

lma_o - Sep 7, 2022

0 by lma_o »»
Sep 7, 2022 9:19 AM

Poll: » Chobits Chapter 26 Discussion

lma_o - Sep 7, 2022

0 by lma_o »»
Sep 7, 2022 9:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.