Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Do you think you'll switch any time in the future?


Jul 4, 2013 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
Immahnoob said:
Bro, hentai is also anime...

You're not keen to it, but this is MYANIMELIST, and HummingBird wants to be better than MyAnimeList, right?

Then it has to have Hentai.


It doesn't have to have everything MAL has to be better.

"Hey, want to trade sandwiches? Yours has mold and mine doesn't. :'["

It can offer other unique things that MAL doesn't offer.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:34 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1845
dperolio said:
Immahnoob said:
Bro, hentai is also anime...

You're not keen to it, but this is MYANIMELIST, and HummingBird wants to be better than MyAnimeList, right?

Then it has to have Hentai.


It doesn't have to have everything MAL has to be better.

"Hey, want to trade sandwiches? Yours has mold and mine doesn't. :'["

It can offer other unique things that MAL doesn't offer.

Failing to see how not including certain anime types, specifically hentai, makes Hummingbird into a better anime site.

Unique things are fine, but the basics need to be covered first.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
toothbrush said:
dperolio said:
Immahnoob said:
Bro, hentai is also anime...

You're not keen to it, but this is MYANIMELIST, and HummingBird wants to be better than MyAnimeList, right?

Then it has to have Hentai.


It doesn't have to have everything MAL has to be better.

"Hey, want to trade sandwiches? Yours has mold and mine doesn't. :'["

It can offer other unique things that MAL doesn't offer.

Failing to see how not including certain anime types, specifically hentai, makes it into a better anime site.

Unique things are fine, but the basics need to be covered first.


And I already made my case on that.

dperolio said:
I dunno, I'm not really keen on the idea of having hentai either. I was planning to not include it at all on my upcoming website, but I may just do a NSFW option I guess.

I personally just don't understand/like the idea of it at all. I mean, you wouldn't go to a site like IMDb and add porn videos to your collection are you? Of course not.


I don't consider hentai to be anime, nor do I consider porn to be films. Sure they both technically are, but I don't see them having a place on the aforementioned types of websites.

I don't see why people would even want to add hentai to their list. It's no wonder you want to keep your anime identity a secret. Which I think is wrong. If anime users become more personable and actually share stuff with their facebook and become more vocal, other people will notice, and the anime industry will grow.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
Yeah that analogy doesn't work in our case. If it doesn't add Hentai then it's shit.

Anime are animations made in Japan.

Hentai is a genre that is made for Anime.

Anime isn't a genre.

EDIT: Made a mistake.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
Immahnoob said:
Yeah that analogy doesn't work in our case. If it doesn't add Hentai then it's shit.

Anime are animations made in Japan.

Hentai are animations made in Japan.

Anime isn't a genre.


Like I said, porn are also films. Do you see them on film websites? No.

The difference is, people are actually willing to share their real life identity/facebook on movie websites and such.

Having hentai available probably doesn't aid in that factor.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
dperolio said:
Immahnoob said:
Yeah that analogy doesn't work in our case. If it doesn't add Hentai then it's shit.

Anime are animations made in Japan.

Hentai are animations made in Japan.

Anime isn't a genre.


Like I said, porn are also films. Do you see them on film websites? No.

Pornography itself isn't a genre. Hentai is.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
Immahnoob said:
dperolio said:
Immahnoob said:
Yeah that analogy doesn't work in our case. If it doesn't add Hentai then it's shit.

Anime are animations made in Japan.

Hentai are animations made in Japan.

Anime isn't a genre.


Like I said, porn are also films. Do you see them on film websites? No.

Pornography itself isn't a genre. Hentai is.


Alright. Not going to argue with you.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1334
Of course I'll switch.. or already have. This community is far too hostile.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:46 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1845
dperolio said:
I don't consider hentai to be anime, nor do I consider porn to be films. Sure they both technically are, but I don't see them having a place on the aforementioned types of websites.

That's taking it too far wouldn't you say?
We have age ratings for a reason, hentai is just an anime where the sexual content is extreme.

Philosophical anime question philosophical ideas, comedy anime make you laugh and hentai give you a hard on-- i don't think it's fair not to count it as anime just because its purpose is a tad more banal.

dperolio said:
I don't see why people would even want to add hentai to their list. It's no wonder you want to keep your anime identity a secret. Which I think is wrong. If anime users become more personable and actually share stuff with their facebook and become more vocal, other people will notice, and the anime industry will grow.

For the same reason we add other anime into our lists, to keep track of what we've watched, compare our scores with other people that have watched the same thing, look for recommendations.

You're going under the assumption that we're ashamed of having hentai there.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
toothbrush said:

For the same reason we add other anime into our lists, to keep track of what we've watched, compare our scores with other people that have watched the same thing, look for recommendations.

You're going under the assumption that we're ashamed of having hentai there.


But that's what I mean, does it really matter what you've seen? Do you add porn to your lists on other websites to keep track of that as well? Does it really matter what hentai/porn you've seen? Are you watching them for the plot or something? I personally just pick random stuff for a fap. I understand hentai is anime, but do you want it on the website for a serious reason, or just because it is anime? (completeness sake)
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
But that is a serious reason, if you're making an anime list you're adding all anime to it, am I right?

Also, LOL, why do you have a list? Not to keep track of the anime you've watched? I mean, it seems to matter that you watched something (for you) that you made a list for it.

And saying "I won't argue with you." and then argue with somebody else just looks a bit stupid to me, unless you have your reasons to not argue with me specifically.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1845
dperolio said:
toothbrush said:

For the same reason we add other anime into our lists, to keep track of what we've watched, compare our scores with other people that have watched the same thing, look for recommendations.

You're going under the assumption that we're ashamed of having hentai there.


But that's what I mean, does it really matter what you've seen? Do you add porn to your lists on other websites to keep track of that as well? Does it really matter what hentai/porn you've seen? Are you watching them for the plot or something? I personally just pick random stuff for a fap. I understand hentai is anime, but do you want it on the website for a serious reason, or just because it is anime? (completeness sake)

Just because you pick them out randomly doesn't mean other people do the same. Most of us would rather not fap to the same thing multiple times, and what better way to search for new things than having a database full of them.

But moving back to the main topic, technically speaking hentai count as anime and anime belong in an anime site.
People might be offended or embarrassed, yes, in which case making lists partially private might be a clever solution but removing hentai altogether has no benefits to mention.

And the porn-to-movies example is completely different, there's no reason to use it as a comparison.
 
Jul 4, 2013 4:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1755
Leondre said:
Of course I'll switch.. or already have. This community is far too hostile.


lol FYI Hummingbird is close to MAL in Forums
many MAL users already made acc in HB so
Its useless
.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
toothbrush said:
And the porn-to-movies example is completely different, there's no reason to use it as a comparison.


How are they completely different? They seem exactly the same to me.

Also, I appreciate the input. It helps me to understand you a little bit better I think. I still don't agree with it, because I think it will hinder social interaction (twitter/facebook) but I think I understand where you're coming from.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
Probably because porn isn't a genre but Hentai is?

It's just like saying demographic = genre.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
Immahnoob said:
Probably because porn isn't a genre but Hentai is?

It's just like saying demographic = genre.


I don't understand how you can say hentai is a genre of anime, but porn isn't a genre of films. They seem to share a direct relationship to me.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:06 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1845
dperolio said:
toothbrush said:
And the porn-to-movies example is completely different, there's no reason to use it as a comparison.


How are they completely different? They seem exactly the same to me.

Also, I appreciate the input. It helps me to understand you a little bit better I think. I still don't agree with it, because I think it will hinder social interaction (twitter/facebook) but I think I understand where you're coming from.
Porn is just people fucking.. hentai is a form of art.

But again, technically speaking there should be no argument as to how it should be classified.

No problem, just voicing my opinion.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1334
yakoo said:
Leondre said:
Of course I'll switch.. or already have. This community is far too hostile.


lol FYI Hummingbird is close to MAL in Forums
many MAL users already made acc in HB so
Its useless
.


I dunno, I've been there for a bit over a month already, and it is far more of a community than the flamefest mal is.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
Pornography is a type of FILM, not a GENRE to a FILM.

While Hentai is NOT a type of Anime but a genre to Anime.

"Adult" is a genre.

And also, IMDB has pornography on it.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1755
Leondre said:
yakoo said:
Leondre said:
Of course I'll switch.. or already have. This community is far too hostile.


lol FYI Hummingbird is close to MAL in Forums
many MAL users already made acc in HB so
Its useless
.


I dunno, I've been there for a bit over a month already, and it is far more of a community than the flamefest mal is.

Edit:
nah u need to check it for your self then Have Fuun. Imean Need a more time,
already check the HB chat thread right? and yes HB is more kind than MAL.....
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 173
I'll probably give it a shot. If I like it, I will probably use it alongside MAL. Also, what's up with the invite system? Is it in beta or something?
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1755
TheCyclon said:
I'll probably give it a shot. If I like it, I will probably use it alongside MAL. Also, what's up with the invite system? Is it in beta or something?

yes its still in Beta, use the ANICHART promo code
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2149
toothbrush said:
Porn is just people fucking.. hentai is a form of art.


LMFAO.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:40 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1845
Ambient_ said:
toothbrush said:
Porn is just people fucking.. hentai is a form of art.

LMFAO.
Hentai needs to be designed, drawn and animated.. it includes background music and voice acting.
Anyone who doesn't consider that as art is lacking in the brain department.

Also a suggestion.. put some more effort in your replies if you want people to take you seriously.
This is a discussion so treat it as one.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
Art is not about the making though, films in general are all art.

So is pornography.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
toothbrush said:
Ambient_ said:
toothbrush said:
Porn is just people fucking.. hentai is a form of art.

LMFAO.
Hentai needs to be designed, drawn and animated.. it includes background music and voice acting.
Anyone who doesn't consider that as art is lacking in the brain department.

Also a suggestion.. put some more effort in your replies if you want people to take you seriously.
This is a discussion so treat it as one.


I guess it may be art to you, but if you think that's why they're making it, I have to say you're seriously mistaken... Just like porn, it's all about the money. Which is why most hentai art and animation quality are laughable at best--- because the people watching it and making it don't generally care about those things.

And even if it were, I think the same case could be made for pornography.
 
Jul 4, 2013 5:48 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1845
dperolio said:
toothbrush said:
Ambient_ said:
toothbrush said:
Porn is just people fucking.. hentai is a form of art.

LMFAO.
Hentai needs to be designed, drawn and animated.. it includes background music and voice acting.
Anyone who doesn't consider that as art is lacking in the brain department.

Also a suggestion.. put some more effort in your replies if you want people to take you seriously.
This is a discussion so treat it as one.


I guess it may be art to you, but if you think that's why they're making it, I have to say you're seriously mistaken... Just like porn, it's all about the money. Which is why most hentai art and animation quality are laughable at best--- because the people watching it and making it don't generally care about those things.

And even if it were, I think the same case could be made for pornography.
That's something i'm well aware of, it applies to all forms of anime, in fact, not just hentai.
You're watching the wrong titles, there's plenty 2012 hentai that top 2012 anime in terms of animation.

Not sure that's the case.. at least not as much as with anime/hentai.

-
Regardless, i think this is enough derailing for one thread.
 
Jul 4, 2013 6:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2149
toothbrush said:
Ambient_ said:
toothbrush said:
Porn is just people fucking.. hentai is a form of art.

LMFAO.
Hentai needs to be designed, drawn and animated.. it includes background music and voice acting.
Anyone who doesn't consider that as art is lacking in the brain department.

Also a suggestion.. put some more effort in your replies if you want people to take you seriously.
This is a discussion so treat it as one.


If I wanted to be treated seriously, ofc I wouldn't make a one word post. That was merely a reaction, to an incredibly funny statement, regardless of legitimacy. I honestly don't understand the aggression. Chill.

And you can make the argument that porn is also art, since it requires storyboarding, scripting, colour grading, camera framing, background music, acting, etc. Take movies produced by Digital Playground or videos from X-Art for example. Just because it doesn't have to be drawn doesn't mean its not art.

/Derail end.
 
Jul 5, 2013 2:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 286
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.
 
Jul 5, 2013 3:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2959
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


You can't hide 'certain things', you either hide your whole list or reveal it all. There is no in between.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.


mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
 
Jul 5, 2013 3:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


I wasn't talking about Hummingbird at all. I won't presume to call you an idiot, but reading comprehension please.
 
Jul 5, 2013 4:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19412
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


You can't hide 'certain things', you either hide your whole list or reveal it all. There is no in between.

Yeah, that's completely retarded, why make it open to the public if you have to hide some anime.

I still don't know the names of some hentai I watched, though.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Jul 5, 2013 3:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 286
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


You can't hide 'certain things', you either hide your whole list or reveal it all. There is no in between.

Trust me, you can.
 
Jul 5, 2013 5:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 2959
Artstyle said:
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


You can't hide 'certain things', you either hide your whole list or reveal it all. There is no in between.

Trust me, you can.


Please explain good sir.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.


mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
 
Jul 5, 2013 8:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12680
Just signed up. Don't see what it brings to the table that other sites don't already have. The large anime thumbnails, while pretty, are cumbersome to scroll through. The list is minimalistic, which is good in some ways, but it's too simple and bare, making it hard to make changes without going through several clicks. The site seems to be optimized in looking good instead of functionality. Even the forum thread list is triple spaced -- easy on the eyes, hard on scrolling. A random quote in the heading, while interesting, takes up 1/5 of screen real estate without providing any real function. The site looks like they adopted a Twitter (or blogging/sharing site) template. There are a lot of things that I think could be improved with MAL, but unfortunately Hummingbird seems to have missed most of the marks. At the current stage, I prefer Anime-Planet or AniDB to Hummingbird. They could at least have some profiling functions similar to MALgraphs built in, coming this late into the game.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
 
Jul 5, 2013 8:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4082
why do we need to request an invitation to the website in the first place
RRRRRRRRRR
 
Jul 5, 2013 8:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1755
beavis2323 said:
why do we need to request an invitation to the website in the first place
because its still in Beta stage use the Anichart promo code dude
 
Jul 5, 2013 10:04 PM
Ghost in the API

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 4807
No, I'm fine here. I don't need my list in 2 different sites.
 
Jul 5, 2013 10:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 7727
 
Jul 6, 2013 12:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 286
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


You can't hide 'certain things', you either hide your whole list or reveal it all. There is no in between.

Trust me, you can.


Please explain good sir.

 
Jul 6, 2013 1:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2149
Artstyle said:
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
Goryo said:
Artstyle said:
God, both of you are idiots. It has hentai, you just switch the Adult Content on. You can also hide certain anime in your list from prying eyes.


You can't hide 'certain things', you either hide your whole list or reveal it all. There is no in between.

Trust me, you can.


Please explain good sir.



O___o Didn't even realize you can expand it xD
 
Jul 6, 2013 1:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 7854
The founder is so fucking cool. He said that he's been given offers on selling his site and declined all of them.
No Xinil 2.0 bitches!
Modified by Shoryu, Jul 6, 2013 1:59 AM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
 
Jul 6, 2013 2:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1755
Tavor said:
The founder is so fucking cool. He said that he's turned down offers on selling his site and declined all of them.
No Xinil 2.0 bitches!

wait.. really?
good then, the future of HB sure is promising
 
Jul 6, 2013 4:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
MAL > Hummingthing IMO
I made and account on hummingbird and I don't think it's any better than MAL, I mean, lol, they are using smiley faces as ratings. No thanks.
 
Jul 6, 2013 4:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1755
Prodiger said:
MAL > Hummingthing IMO
I made and account on hummingbird and I don't think it's any better than MAL, I mean, lol, they are using smiley faces as ratings. No thanks.


agree but,you can change those type of ratings on Acc.Settings .
 
Jul 6, 2013 7:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26478
Tavor said:
The founder is so fucking cool. He said that he's been given offers on selling his site and declined all of them.
No Xinil 2.0 bitches!
For now, you can get more money when the site is larger and more popular. It would be stupid to sell it during the beta.
 
Jul 6, 2013 7:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 6121
Josh likes to brag quite a bit, which I would attribute to his extreme confidence. Not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I like Josh a lot. I consider him one of my only friends (albeit also rivals). I really find it hard to believe he's been offered money and some other things he's told me privately though when the website is so rudimentary and unpolished. I mean, I'm not calling it a crappy website or anything nor am I calling him a liar, but it's obviously unfinished and really has barely any features, compared to what it could/will have. I also noticed that his profile, iOS app, and review pages were extremely "inspired."
Modified by dperolio, Jul 6, 2013 1:20 PM
 
Jul 6, 2013 8:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 134
yakoo said:
Prodiger said:
MAL > Hummingthing IMO
I made and account on hummingbird and I don't think it's any better than MAL, I mean, lol, they are using smiley faces as ratings. No thanks.


agree but,you can change those type of ratings on Acc.Settings .


Yeh, I know, but still you have rating just 1-5 ._.
 
Jul 6, 2013 10:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2149
Prodiger said:
yakoo said:
Prodiger said:
MAL > Hummingthing IMO
I made and account on hummingbird and I don't think it's any better than MAL, I mean, lol, they are using smiley faces as ratings. No thanks.


agree but,you can change those type of ratings on Acc.Settings .


Yeh, I know, but still you have rating just 1-5 ._.


They're adding half stars soon, so it'll basically be 1-10 again.
 
Jul 6, 2013 10:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 200
I don't think humming birds would appreciate me posting stories on them... they don't seem big enough to hold all the words.
When I go for the throat, I go straight for the juggler.
 
Top
Pages (22) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »