Jul 3, 2013 2:06 PM

Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
MellowJello said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Coolspot said:
Red_Keys said:
Nothing's degrading.

The quality of threads/discussions are a result of the community, not the site.

People leave, and new people come. The site stays the same.

I think it would be neat to have a list of all users and a % of how much they affect the site.
Affect as in how?
How much attention and derailment discussion they garner as a result of their posts.
So based on how many people quote them on average?
Something like that.
Keep the quote chain rollin'.
Jul 3, 2013 2:13 PM

Jul 2012
MellowJello said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MellowJello said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Coolspot said:
Red_Keys said:
Nothing's degrading.

The quality of threads/discussions are a result of the community, not the site.

People leave, and new people come. The site stays the same.

I think it would be neat to have a list of all users and a % of how much they affect the site.
Affect as in how?
How much attention and derailment discussion they garner as a result of their posts.
So based on how many people quote them on average?
Something like that.
Keep the quote chain rollin'.

Yeah, That's The Idea.

some users seem to have little or no affect on the site, like I create a forum topic its dead in 2 weeks tops and then some people start a Forum topic and by the time its done there a new club about something people talked about in it.

Some users if they left today the site wouldn't change at all.
MiraniaJul 3, 2013 2:19 PM
Jul 3, 2013 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
If you grow, MAL will grow, too.
Jul 3, 2013 6:16 PM

Jul 2011
Coolspot said:

Some users if they left today the site wouldn't change at all.

There are some people who kill brain cells each time they make a post. It's hard to quantify the affect they have overall.

As far as this topic goes, I think MAL reached it's peak a long time ago and is now slipping into decline. While I don't think it's on the verge of dying and may not for numerous years to come, I think overall there is a general 'lack of caring' in regards to expanding further on this project. Of course until something much better comes along, MAL will be fine.

Jul 3, 2013 6:41 PM

Apr 2007
No thanks. Maybe when MAL has enough people to help manage the site better.
Jul 3, 2013 7:28 PM

Oct 2012
i dont think the website will grow at all
RRRRRRRRRR
Jul 3, 2013 7:34 PM

Jan 2009
RobUsaB said:
I don't want MAL to add streaming. What I would like, however, is for the legal streaming sites to have presence in the series' information. The fansub group lists are nice, but if there are legal options, that information should be easily found too!

good point, make a suggestion thread about it on the suggestion section of the forums
Jul 3, 2013 7:35 PM

Oct 2012
I think its more of just people becoming more active, like I have been aware of the site for awhile but only just recently started posting.
Jul 3, 2013 7:36 PM

Nov 2010
j0x said:
RobUsaB said:
I don't want MAL to add streaming. What I would like, however, is for the legal streaming sites to have presence in the series' information. The fansub group lists are nice, but if there are legal options, that information should be easily found too!

good point, make a suggestion thread about it on the suggestion section of the forums
Already been made before.
Jul 3, 2013 7:38 PM

Jan 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
j0x said:
RobUsaB said:

so it failed?
Jul 3, 2013 7:44 PM

Jan 2009
rheum said:
j0x said:
IntroverTurtle said:
j0x said:
RobUsaB said:

so it failed?

Almost all suggestions get ignored or denied. Doesn't matter if they're good.

lack of man power maybe or too much work for the already volunteers
Jul 3, 2013 7:51 PM

Nov 2010
j0x said:
rheum said:
j0x said:
IntroverTurtle said:
j0x said:
RobUsaB said:

so it failed?

No idea, we don't get told much. We do know that Xinil has said that he's busy working on security for the site, since that guy started hacking the site in November. Apparently it's still going on and that's why he had to do something with the security recently which makes those cookie errors.
We were also supposed to have that list toggle before that hacker.
Jul 3, 2013 8:00 PM

Jun 2013
I am not safe?
I have really funny thoughts that no one will get to hear.
Jul 3, 2013 8:04 PM

Jan 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
j0x said:
rheum said:
j0x said:
IntroverTurtle said:
j0x said:
RobUsaB said:

so it failed?

No idea, we don't get told much. We do know that Xinil has said that he's busy working on security for the site, since that guy started hacking the site in November. Apparently it's still going on and that's why he had to do something with the security recently which makes those cookie errors.
We were also supposed to have that list toggle before that hacker.

why dont Xinil implement HTTPS on this site anyway, the updates he makes and plan are so slow
Jul 3, 2013 8:39 PM

Oct 2012
j0x said:
why dont Xinil implement HTTPS on this site anyway, the updates he makes and plan are so slow
My guess is that Xinil has no incentive to. This site was sold to Crave Entertainment for somewhere between $700,000-900,000 which Xinil already pocketed. Why should he work hard to maintain a site that isn't his? Snoop estimates MAL is now making for Crave Online (not Xinil) north of $2 million a day. In any case, don't quote me.

Most of the people who use MAL use it for its listing feature. There are 474 users on right now, and ALEXA shows that the average browsing time is about 5 minutes (and we could even assume that forum users use the site for longer than people who use just the list), so we could give a high estimate that about 13,000 people use the site every day. However, given that MAL is the 2864th highest traffic site in the world, it has close to 625 million unique visitors a day according to Snoop.

That means only 1 in 50,000 MAL users actually use the forum.

IMO MAL's biggest attraction has, and always will be its well-updated listing feature, and the forum is only stale, kind of expired icings on a very good cake.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 3, 2013 8:41 PM

Jan 2009
@katsucats

nice theory of how much this site earns and maybe you are right Xinil does not own this site anymore so why should he care
Jul 3, 2013 8:50 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
It won't grow. It'll just stagnate.
Jul 3, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2011
I like MAL the way it is...its flaws are somewhat endearing.
Jul 3, 2013 8:57 PM

Nov 2010
katsucats said:
j0x said:
My guess is that Xinil has no incentive to. This site was sold to Crave Entertainment for somewhere between $700,000-900,000 which Xinil already pocketed. Why should he work hard to maintain a site that isn't his? Snoop estimates MAL is now making for Crave Online (not Xinil) north of $2 million a day. In any case, don't quote me.

Most of the people who use MAL use it for its listing feature. There are 474 users on right now, and ALEXA shows that the average browsing time is about 5 minutes (and we could even assume that forum users use the site for longer than people who use just the list), so we could give a high estimate that about 13,000 people use the site every day. However, given that MAL is the 2864th highest traffic site in the world, it has close to 625 million unique visitors a day according to Snoop.

That means only 1 in 50,000 MAL users actually use the forum.

IMO MAL's biggest attraction has, and always will be its well-updated listing feature, and the forum is only stale, kind of expired icings on a very good cake.
I always figured it was something like that.
Jul 3, 2013 9:59 PM

Oct 2008
It isn't.
It's no where as active as it used to be.
It's shit in comparison.
Jul 3, 2013 10:28 PM

Oct 2010
mal will grow

but the forums will die slowly
dont ask questions, just do answers
Jul 4, 2013 10:44 AM

Jan 2009
As long as the lists remain I don't care about the forums.
Jul 4, 2013 10:46 AM

Jun 2013
MyAnimeList's purpose is anime listing.. It should always stay that way.
Jul 4, 2013 11:14 AM

Jun 2008
AnimeCritic101 said:
I know the main purpose of this site is to keep track of everything you've seen. But you you think that eventually you'll be able to use it for streaming anime? Or maybe purchasing anime for digital download?

I'm curious because after reading a thread on here I noticed that a lot of people on this site use torrents and illegal streaming sites. So if MyAnimeList adds legal streaming to this site do you think it can grow and help support the industry?

Streaming and shopping?
Well i don't know. If such thing ever happens i hope it is managed in a way that people who aren't interest won't find it in their way in making their list and browsing the forums.
I don't want Mal to be a bloated mess. Maybe a tap on top that leads you to a completely different section for those services. Something i don't have to find in my face if i don't want to use.

j0x said:
rheum said:
j0x said:
IntroverTurtle said:
j0x said:
RobUsaB said:

so it failed?

No programmers actually. Crave is cow milking the site by not paying programmers and simply relying on Xinil free time and volunteer mods and admins.
Jul 4, 2013 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
MAL is great for keeping track of anime and manga. Since this is the primary function of the site and mainly why people come here, it will be a slow growth. People will update what they need to and leave ignoring the rest of the site if they don't feel the need to visit it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

41 by 9765 »»
13 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

9 by Noboru »»
14 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

9 by Meusnier »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

18 by UncreatedSong »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.